Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Mechanic Roundtable - Car Talk (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mechanic Roundtable (72466 Views)

Fakuade, Taiwo Ojo, Others To Speak On Ekiti Knowledge Zone At Efa Roundtable / Mechanic Roundtable Talk For Master Brake & ABS / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 4:35pm On Apr 03, 2021
nonhuman:
Oga blackbishop please help. My friend bought a Nigerian use 03 rav4, but I noticed the out of the 4 oxygen sensor bellow the manifold only 1 is connected, the rest are just there with their wires looking at me without a sucket, and when I checked underneath there is no hole for oxygen sensor on the on the catalyst, he have not really driven the car to know the rate of fuel consumption, please is this proper? If not, what can be done?

That is not normal, first I will advise to run a scan then a physical inspection will allow me to determine what to be done sir.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 7:55pm On Apr 03, 2021
Blackbishop:

That is not normal, first I will advise to run a scan then a physical inspection will allow me to determine what to be done sir.
but the car is in portharcourt, its now obvious that it consumes note fuel than it should
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:21pm On Apr 03, 2021
nonhuman:
but the car is in portharcourt, its now obvious that it consumes note fuel than it should

It would couple with other issues am certain will be present
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 9:06pm On Apr 03, 2021
Blackbishop:

It would couple with other issues am certain will be present
yes also overheating
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:23pm On Apr 03, 2021
Lexus – Bulletin Codes that requires ECM Flashing
I had a Lexus ES330 with P0171 and P0174 and P0300 and codes related to a bad Air/Fuel Ratio sensor. After diagnosis I advised to change the A/F sensor and serviced the noozle couple with replacing the Air Filter and some hoses.

After all was done and the codes was gone. After few days the owner call me to tell me the check engine light was back on which I asked him to scan and send me the code or fault codes. I got a P2198 – LEXUS O² Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 2 Sensor 1.

To further make you understand the fault Code P2198 possible causes are; Faulty O² sensor which I decided to eliminate since I replaced the one in the car with New OEM. Fault O² sensor Bank 2 sensor 1 harness. Or lastly Faulty ECM – Engine control Module. What I did was check for faulty O² sensor harness and ran some physical inspection on the air channel for leakage and check the fuel system for open or stuck open situations.

After that the code was wiped and and the owner went his way. Only to return the next day with the same code which I told him I will replace the O² sensor with a new one. I did but this time around it was a different code now with rhe new O² sensor,on the spot I was getting P2241 – P2241 LEXUS – A/F Sensor Bank 2 Short Circuit.

From this point I went on to make some more research and discovered this bulletin from Toyota about some stubborn faulty codes. Related to this particular issues

With this information I decided to replace with the old damaged O² sensor.

Click on the Null link in the signature to read the Bulletin.

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:33pm On Apr 03, 2021
nonhuman:
yes also overheating

Run a scan and send me the codes
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kala111: 10:53pm On Apr 03, 2021
My Corolla 05 makes a knocking sound when I put on the ignition with the engine oil light on. It goes off when throttle down and sound normal.

Also, the engine oil light blinks when car is idle or while braking mostly when the engine is warm and must have work for several minutes or hour.

I have just charged the oil pump thinking that was the culprit but the problem still persist.

What could have gone wrong pls expert in the house?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:48am On Apr 04, 2021
kala111:
My Corolla 05 makes a knocking sound when I put on the ignition with the engine oil light on. It goes off when throttle down and sound normal.

Also, the engine oil light blinks when car is idle or while braking mostly when the engine is warm and must have work for several minutes or hour.

I have just charged the oil pump thinking that was the culprit but the problem still persist.

What could have gone wrong pls expert in the house?

There is something like oil switch change that
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 11:45am On Apr 04, 2021
Blackbishop:

Run a scan and send me the codes
I will do that
Can any scanner be used
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kala111: 1:04pm On Apr 04, 2021
Blackbishop:

There is something like oil switch change that

I've changed the oil switch and also changed oil pump together with cleaning of the oil sump.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 1:28pm On Apr 04, 2021
nonhuman:
I will do that
Can any scanner be used

Not all scanner, get someone with a good scanner to do it
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2021
kala111:

I've changed the oil switch and also changed oil pump together with cleaning of the oil sump.

What about the Crankshaft metals?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:35am On Apr 05, 2021
Register Camry 2007 with low mileage and few months used

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by omorkelly(m): 10:58pm On Apr 05, 2021
How much
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:44am On Apr 06, 2021
omorkelly:
How much

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kala111: 2:16pm On Apr 06, 2021
Blackbishop:

What about the Crankshaft metals?

The metals is not firmly gripping the crankshaft which the mechanic has adjusted with a general overhaul of the engine and yet to be completed.

Will give an update once completed.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 2:18pm On Apr 06, 2021
kala111:

The metals is not firmly gripping the crankshaft which the mechanic has adjusted with a general overhaul of the engine and yet to be completed.

Will give an update once completed.

Ok. All the best
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kunlexbaba45(m): 12:40am On Apr 08, 2021
Blackbishop:

Ok. All the best
Please I traveled with my Honda accord 2004. Parked on the way to eat and when I turn in the engine the gear refused to drive when I put it on D. It's only moves on reverse. Oga blackbishop what could be the reason.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 3:47am On Apr 08, 2021
kunlexbaba45:

Please I traveled with my Honda accord 2004. Parked on the way to eat and when I turn in the engine the gear refused to drive when I put it on D. It's only moves on reverse. Oga blackbishop what could be the reason.

If the reverse is working, then check the Tranny oil level and colour and smell. Or prolly change it will be better. And scan also. To be on the safer side. And when you start the car and engage the gear does the D light blink?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by kunlexbaba45(m): 7:02am On Apr 08, 2021
Blackbishop:

If the reverse is working, then check the Tranny oil level and colour and smell. Or prolly change it will be better. And scan also. To be on the safer side. And when you start the car and engage the gear does the D light blink?
I changed the gear oil last week, D light does not blink
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:03am On Apr 08, 2021
kunlexbaba45:

Then run a scan
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Peppermintflav: 9:08am On Apr 08, 2021
kunlexbaba45:

What type of gear oil did you use?

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Tunesh(m): 12:56pm On Apr 11, 2021
Please my corolla 06 doesn't start Once in the Morning, it start like after the third time..

What could be wrong pls
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:50pm On Apr 11, 2021
Tunesh:
Please my corolla 06 doesn't start Once in the Morning, it start like after the third time..

What could be wrong pls

If you follow my page, I mentioned the likely cause of that. Which are;
1. Fuel Pressure valve or
2. Fuel filter and casing
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Tunesh(m): 8:56pm On Apr 15, 2021
Blackbishop:

If you follow my page, I mentioned the likely cause of that. Which are;
1. Fuel Pressure valve or
2. Fuel filter and casing

Thanks so much Boss
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:25pm On Apr 15, 2021
Cars Available

With average mileage and best you can get at a reasonable price.

Camry 2007 V6 - 3.1mils
RX350 2011 Regular - 8.5mils
Ford Edge 2008 Limited Edition - 3.5mils
Camry 2013 - 3.6mils
Toyota Highlander Limited Edition 2004 - 3.6mils

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Solohitt555: 11:40am On Apr 16, 2021
Blackbishop:
Car cooling system contains
Radiator & radiator cap
Coolant Reservoir
Radiator hose
Thermostat
Cooling fan
Coolant (50% anti freeze and 50% water)
Water pump
Temperature guage

This is the most ridiculous cause of car break down in Nigeria.
How will you feel if your cars start jerking and goes off?
Smoke coming out of the hood, burning smell.
This kind of issue happens on a daily, and it is something we ignore.

The first thing to check is your coolant level before you drive out everyday.
If there is low coolant, check for leakages.
To new car owners never let any road side mechanic remove your thermostat for any reason.
And if there is no leakages, probably you are having an overheating issues that tend tends to deteriorate over time.

Now the water pump is what forces the coolant through passages in the engine to absorb heat. The pump is driven by a belt that needs replacement from time to time. And the water pump will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Spending some cash on replacing the belts and water pump is much less than the cost of repairing the extremely expensive damage that can be done when an engine seizes.

Radiator cap needs to be change also from time to time

And it happened to me yesterday! Engine died on the highway! Me of all people ���

I found that I'd driven off without radiator cap on, after topping up water.
After 45min to 1 hour in Lagos traffic in blissful oblivion, the engine stopped. In the last two minutes or so, I noticed like pinking noise that got worse, then low power, then looked at temp gauge and it was near red. Just at that instant, before I could switch off, the engine stopped.

This is a well-tuned 1MZ-FE on a 2001 Avalon.
I'm not a car novice by any stretch, which is why this is so distressing.

Please guys what and what am I looking at here. Could there be a safety mechanism here.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by BamBamK: 1:40pm On Apr 16, 2021
Solohitt555:

And it happened to me yesterday! Engine died on the highway! Me of all people ���

After 45min to 1 hour in Lagos traffic in blissful oblivion, the engine stopped. In the last two minutes or so, I noticed like pinking noise that got worse, then low power, then looked at temp gauge and it was near red. Just at that instant, before I could switch off, the engine stopped.

Please guys what and what am I looking at here. Could there be a safety mechanism here.

grin cheesy wink

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by radautoworks: 2:46pm On Apr 16, 2021
Solohitt555:

This is an oxymoron

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
radautoworks:

This is an oxymoron

What is Oxymoron?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by radautoworks: 11:39pm On Apr 16, 2021
Blackbishop:

What is Oxymoron?

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by olenyi: 7:04am On Apr 17, 2021
Solohitt555:

I found that I'd driven off without[b]radiator cap on, after topping up water.[/b]

[b]This is a well-tuned 1MZ-FE on a 2001 Avalon.
I'm not a car novice by any stretch,[/b]which is why this is so distressing.

How can you claim not to be a car novice and you are topping your radiator with water. What happened to manufacturer recommended coolant? You of all people?

And you say its a well tuned engine but it needs to be topped with water every morning. Where is your water going to? You of all people?

My warm regards.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (29) (Reply)

Mercedes G-wagon Vs Innoson G80, Which Side Are You On? (Photos) / Nigerian Man Breaks Record, Rides To South Africa From Lagos On Motorbike / Nigerians React As Dubai Police Flaunt Their Exotic Luxurious Police Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.