Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather (70364 Views)

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus / Coronavirus: Parents Abandon Kids At China Airport / Coronavirus: Snakes The Likely Cause Of Deadly Chinese Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:06pm On Apr 04, 2020
Bambambiglo:

Oga if corona no dey, heat stroke ma dey

We on a/c
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

I find it hard to believe you are a microbiologist if you don't know that bacteria love hot weather
Bacteria are generally incubated in the lab at 37 C
incubated in an incubator
In an open space, you have wind velocity and other factors to take into account.
If I may ask, which bacteria are we talking of?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by armyjassy101(m): 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2020
I don't believe in this because the inner temperature is far hotter than outside
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

Are you asking me a question, or you want to explain your claim?
Explain the experiment you are carrying out, and give us the end result
I will give you a simple common place example
Food poisoning is often caused when food is left at room temperature

A common cause is B cereus in cooked rice

The optimal temperature for it growth is between 30 and 40
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by blackmantis: 10:08pm On Apr 04, 2020
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:09pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You are not a microbiologist
Lolz, i guess this is your way of backing out of the debate.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Jaqenhghar: 10:10pm On Apr 04, 2020
johnmattew:
what's the temperature and humidity of Florida?...Google it first b4 u start spewing trash

there is a reason why flu thrive in hot harmattan and cold rainy season compared to normal hot non-harmattan days
Go and find that out yourself. Who is your errand boy? You are the one disagreeing go and do your homework nd give me facts or forever shut your piehole
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:10pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

incubated in an incubator
In an open space, you have wind velocity and other factors to take into account.
If I may ask, which bacteria are we talking of?
Let us not derail the thread
I don't have time for frivolity.
Maybe you are a lab technician

You are NOT a microbiologist
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:11pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

I will give you a simple common place example
Food poisoning is often caused when food is left at room temperature

A common cause is B cereus in cooked rice

The optimal temperature for it growth is between 30 and 40
And what do you call organisms that thrive in hot weather? Thermophiles
How many of such organisms infects humans directly?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:13pm On Apr 04, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Go and find that out yourself. Who is your errand boy? You are the one disagreeing go and do your homework nd give me facts or forever shut your piehole
Abuse!!
Shows your level of intelligence
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by johnmattew: 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

u just displayed xteristics of am educated illiterate

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:14pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Let us not derail the thread
I don't have time for frivolity.
Maybe you are a lab technician

You are NOT a microbiologist
Lolz, afi lab technician na
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

And what do you call organisms that thrive in hot weather? Thermophiles
How many of such organisms infects humans directly?
You are embarrassing
Cholera
E Coli
Staphylococcus aureus
Neisseri gonococcus
To name a few

Guy give it up and let us get back to coronavirus
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Jaqenhghar: 10:17pm On Apr 04, 2020
johnmattew:
u just displayed xteristics of am educated illiterate
Clearly your post was not to correct or to pass proper information but to try and sound superior. Oya you when sabi pass show us the right information you have resorted to petty name calling. Continue ... Dont go and protect yourself siddon there. Shithole intellectual
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You are embarrassing
Cholera
E Coli
Staphylococcus aureus
Neisseri gonococcus
To name a few

Guy give it up and let us get back to coronavirus
Ecoli and staph are almost the bodies natural flora
I don't know much about Neisseri(I doubt thats the spelling tho)
Temperature is a limiting factor to microorganisms metabolism
Why do you think you have fever when you are sick?
Your body tries to use the high temperature to kill off intruding microorganisms
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by maklelemakukula(m): 10:24pm On Apr 04, 2020
blowjohn:

First point true. Many tests.
Now answer this.
Incubation period of the virus is 2 weeks plus or minus.
How come for the last 4 weeks plus, we haven't recorded any many strange deaths ?
read about immunosuppressive drugs and you'll get your answer
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:30pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

Your body tries to use the high temperature to kill off intruding microorganisms
You are talking absolute nonsense
Temperatures do not kill bacteria or viruses in the body
Fevers occur as an inflammatory response in many non infective disease conditions that are not infective e.g cancer,
The technical term is calor and it has nothing absolutely nothing to do with killing microorganisms.
The human body even in hyperpyrexia rarely exceeds 42 C
That temperature will not kill bacteria and indeed is OPTIMAL for many

Guy leave this thing and let us go back to coronavirus
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by johnmattew: 10:31pm On Apr 04, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Clearly your post was not to correct or to pass proper information but to try and sound superior. Oya you when sabi pass show us the right information you have resorted to petty name calling. Continue ... Dont go and protect yourself siddon there. Shithole intellectual
smh...u are simply lucky that u are far away.

himbo
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by JonTopps(m): 10:32pm On Apr 04, 2020
Going by this then Maiduguri is probably one of the safest places to be in Nigeria. shocked
How ironic.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:33pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

Escherichia Coli and Staphylococcus aureus are natural flora?really

Why do you have to come online lying that you are a microbiologist?
Have you ever heard of MRSA?

You are a LIAR
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:41pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You are talking absolute nonsense
Temperatures do not kill bacteria or viruses in the body
Fevers occur as an inflammatory response in many non infective disease conditions that are not infective e.g cancer,
The technical term is calor and it has nothing absolutely nothing to do with killing microorganisms.
The human body even in hyperpyrexia rarely exceeds 42 C
That temperature will not kill bacteria and indeed is OPTIMAL for many

Guy leave this thing and let us go back to coronavirus
An increased temperature will slow down or deactivate a microorganism.

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by vaca1: 10:44pm On Apr 04, 2020
greatme2good:
What of during rainy season? Coz we are about entering the season.
That is why we shouldn't pray for rainy season ooo. Anytime it rains ,I feel scared. We need sun more now oo
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 04, 2020
greatme2good:
What of during rainy season? Coz we are about entering the season.
no mind them, rain don start,they should proof another.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by mistijude: 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2020
There is element of truth in this article because when you also studied the trend of coronavirus in Nigeria, you will discovered that the number of infected people are mostly in the south, which is more cooler than the north, hence north which is hotter with less victims
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2020
abdullkabar:

An increased temperature will slow down or deactivate a microorganism.
It is clear you are talking about what you have no knowledge of

Let us stick to coronavirus
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by thegloor: 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:
Effect Of Temperature On COVID-19: An Unscientific Investigation.

In the early days of the Coronavirus scourge, many Nigerians believed that we wouldn't be affected because of our hot weather. Now that we're testing people, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of confirmed cases, to about 210, which is still quite low for a country with 190 million residents. However many people suspect that the virus has penetrated our society far more deeply than the NCDC statistics suggest. We've noticed that people who travelled to colder countries recently or spend most of their time in air-conditioned spaces, or their direct contacts, are massively over-represented among the confirmed cases. Is this because they are the only ones being tested, or is heat a factor?

Here is the list of the 10 countries that have the highest number of active COVID-19 cases, and their forecasted temperatures for the day:
* USA has 257,790 active cases. The temperature forecast for New York is 8°C - 15°C.
* Italy has 85,388 active cases. The temperature forecast for Rome is 7°C - 25°C.
* Spain has 77,488 active cases. The temperature forecast for Madrid is 6°C - 19°C
* Germany has 65,309 active cases. The temperature forecast for Berlin is 1°C - 12°C
* France has 61,650 active cases. The temperature forecast for Paris is 6°C - 17°C
* UK has 34,428 active cases. The temperature forecast for London is 4°C - 16°C
* Iran has 31,954 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tehran is 8°C - 19°C
* Turkey has 20,012 active cases. The temperature forecast for Istanbul is 8°C - 11°C
* Switzerland has 14,169 active cases. The temperature forecast for Geneva is 3°C - 17°C
* Netherlands has 13,986 active cases. The temperature forecast for Amsterdam is 4°C - 14°C

On average, the top ten countries with Coronavirus have a temperature forecast of 5.5 - 16.5°C. The temperature forecast for Lagos is 26°C - 34°C, and for Abuja, it's 24°C - 36°C. This is a massive, massive difference! The maximum temperature of nine of the countries above is lower than the minimum temperature of Lagos. The maximum temperature of 7 of those countries is lower than the minimum thermostat setting of most Nigerian air-conditioners (18°C).

The countries mentioned above are in Africa, Asia or Europe. What about Africa? Here's our top 5:
* South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.
* Algeria has 1,004 active cases. The temperature forecast for Algiers is 9°C - 17°C.
* Egypt has 703 active cases. The temperature forecast for Cairo is 24°C - 34°C.1
* Tunisia has 472 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tunis is 8°C - 17°C.
* Burkina Faso has 236 active cases. The temperature forecast for Ouagadougou is 28°C - 43°C. 1
1 The Egypt data is misleading because the their average temperature last month was 11.6°C to 26°C, but Burkina Faso is a legitimate outlier; the country is much hotter than Nigeria.

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places, such as air-conditioned cars, offices, and homes. This, apart from the lack of testing, may explain why we are yet to see as many cases of transmission outside the circles of travellers and the rich and powerful in Nigeria as expected. It is consistent with what we know about other respiratory illnesses, and why countries like the US expect the disease to slow down in their summer season (starting from June).

When I see videos of Lagos officials spraying open areas e.g. roads & sidewalks in Lagos, I have to laugh, because I strongly suspect that, if they actually bothered to test for the presence of the virus on those surfaces, they'd find nothing at all because the sun already sterilized them.

Knowing that the virus hates our hot temperature gives me hope. If a cold country like South Korea (0°C -13°C forecast for today) could beat the virus without destroying their economy by imposing a total lockdown, a constantly hot country like Nigeria could do much better if we used the same tactics. We need to start testing people who have had close contact with confirmed cases before they show symptoms. We also need to enforce universal wearing of face-masks and social distancing everywhere, which in itself may even be sufficient to end the virus.

May your days be bright and hot. May your air-conditioners be off and your windows wide open (to get rid of aerosolized droplets). Cheers.

PS: I always make a lot of mistakes when I post long articles, so if you spot any errors, omissions, or false statements, please correct me.

Unfortunately the Nigerian government or leaders don't take advise
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by vaca1: 10:46pm On Apr 04, 2020
brudiga:
I talk am before. Na weather dey help us not the stealing states and federal governments. tongue

Massive raining season is almost here. The temperature is definitely going to drop.
They better find cure or control it to the bearest minimum before the rains hit or else we are all fvcked.

Exactly � you're very correct. I told people that too
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 04, 2020
WIZGUY69:
What if i say you should multiply that 210 by 1000? Yes that's the number of case in Nigeria right now. undecided

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:48pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Escherichia Coli and Staphylococcus aureus are natural flora?really

Why do you have to come online lying that you are a microbiologist?
Have you ever heard of MRSA?

You are a LIAR

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 10:49pm On Apr 04, 2020
mistijude:
There is element of truth in this article because when you also studied the trend of coronavirus in Nigeria, you will discovered that the number of infected people are mostly in the south, which is more cooler than the north, hence north which is hotter with less victims
lol

AlMost of the cases are imported into Lagos and Abuja
Is Abuja south ?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by abdullkabar(m): 10:49pm On Apr 04, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

It is clear you are talking about what you have no knowledge of

Let us stick to coronavirus
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back / Help!!! What Can Someone Use For This Fungal Infection? WARNING!! GRAPHICS PICS / Man Dies Of Coronavirus In Delta State After Visiting Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.