Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? - Health (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? (69279 Views)

Sebastine Oiwoh: Bleaching Creams Can Cause Cancer, Kidney Disease, Cataracts / Telecom Mast: Can This Cause Cancer? (Photo) / What Causes Acha Ere, Leg Cancer Or Leg Ulcer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by AndSunGorilla: 8:38pm On Apr 05, 2020
kkins25:

everybody is fascinated at the birth of 5g, it is only nigeria that people think it is the devils handwork. my brother; sometimes i feel like in my previous life i was a bad person thats why i was sent to the slums of naija to receive discipline

The conspiracy theory started from the developed countries sir. A lot of videos making the round quoting figures of birds that died in the Hague. There was destruction is 5G masts in the UK as well. Right now I don't believe the conspiracy theories as we have many examples thoughout history of society claiming common sense was evil and nonsense, e.g Galileo, belief that the earth was flat etc.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by successemma: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2020
Mr physics good write up but let me inform you that theories fail and new theories are formed. In due time you will realize that what you believe on was a lie. I pray it will not be too late for you then
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by lenghtinny(m): 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2020
mrphysics:

Yeah, it's fine but you have to breathe well. We are all breathing in Nigeria, yet asking the government for amenities that will enable us breathe effectively.

For instance, I am in France, internet seem to be nothing here, telephone calls too, text messages. But in Nigeria, this is not the case. People pay high too for internet but get poor network, data that gets exhausted within hours.

You want us to keep living this way? Can you compare it's risk to the risk of driving from Abuja to Enugu or Lagos? How about the risk of driving from Abuja to Kaduna? Which one poses more risk than the other? 5G or the ones I mentioned?
These network providers are nothing but legalized robbers.
The same airtel that’s over feeding Indians with data will be acting like King Kong here.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by thinkmoney(m): 10:53pm On Apr 05, 2020
Skyfornia:
SMH...

I have noticed with increase how some certain people on this forum abuse other individuals whose views are contrary to their own belief or dogma instead of expressing their arguments in a more mature and reasonable way.

A journey through some of their previous comments you will also notice that some of these abusers are Atheists and people addicted to hard substances.

You go about pouring out your vituperations on every thread, creating nuisance and getting supports from your kinds...for your mind you feel say you be James Bond.

Now to the business of the day..

Some of you believe that some radiations can can attack a cell in human body.

You believe that consistent usage of x-ray machines can cause harm to the body.

You uses phones that recognizes your thumb, eyes and face and respond instantly.

You've seen or believe there's a technology that detects when someone lied.

Yet you find it difficult to believe that a technology such as 5G is harmful to humans or cannot have negative effects to a human body? Now I'm not saying that I have a proof of it's danger but the possibility cannot be neglected.

Your claim is that 5G is a non-ionizing radiation yet ultraviolet rays, Microwave which also are among the non-ionizing radiation are reported in most cases to be harmful to humans and animals.

Chinese, the originators of 5G are busy destroying the masts and you are inside your small village abusing and cussing them.

Your colonial masters are determined to destroy all 5G programs in their territories, and you that studied physics in one local university in Nigeria is out here exposing your ignorance.

I weep for you.
weep for urself. that's proof there. u too show proof. if u don't get any but only rely on ur types that u are seeing causing arson in UK out of unfounded fear, then I am not very sorry to tell u the money spent on u to go to school may have been wasted.
u now imagine people there in Europe have some knowledge we don't have because they are in Europe? in this present age!? in fact I feel sorry for u
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by kkins25(m): 11:07pm On Apr 05, 2020
GamalNasser:
As regards COVID 19 nobody is saying 5g causes cancer or spreads virus we are saying milimetre waves have been proven to suppress immune systems and affect biological being by many credible research and if this is so then why try to pass it off as completely safe ...it's is very misleading of you to use 5g FR1as your standard because 5g FR1 clearly doesn't depoly milimetre waves as the 5g we are talking of because most of the cities correlated with high infections and mortality deployed 5g FR2 at the 24ghz minimums ..For those who don't know the difference 5g FR1 is the attempt to transmit 5g using existing 4g hardware at no more than 6ghz ( which is still the frequency ceiling for 4g) and the results are just meagre 15% improvement to the capacity of 4g ..this was not the model of 5g transmission used in WUHAN , Italy and Newyork , london where where we have seen bandoleer 100 -200 metre FR2 street level antenna set up for transmission at 24ghz and more ... Below is are abstract highlights of research on Mice exposed to milimetre wave at a frequency of 24ghz at 10 watts and be the judge

I have also attached except of research on possible side effects of milimetre waves

Mrphysics him write up is commendable but he still baggam. Wireless networks transmit at most 2.6ghz. While the research article he is quoting is testing 50kghz.

1 Like

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by dreyFoxx(m): 11:32pm On Apr 05, 2020
mrphysics:

Thanks bro

Totally a great piece and an eye opener at that....I really love the piece of knowledge you passed across....

But whatsoever we are taught today is what was handed down by the so called whites....down to us so we believe what ever they say.....no matter how true it might look like....none of it have we been able to do ourselves....those guys are thousands of steps ahead of us...no matter how good they might portray they always have hidden agenda....
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by sonnie10: 12:08am On Apr 06, 2020
kkins25:

Mrphysics him write up is commendable but he still baggam. Wireless networks transmit at most 2.6ghz. While the research article he is quoting is testing 50kghz.
Point of correction. When we talk about the harmful effect of radiation, we are mostly interested in the wavelength and not the frequency of the wave that you pointed out.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Denko2721987(m): 12:41am On Apr 06, 2020
mrphysics:
I went through this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5774444/fact-check-coronavirus-caused-5g-technology by aminulive and while I appreciate what he has done, I think enough needs to be done to drive that point clearer to the Nigerian audience. However, my fear is that when scientist and health practitioners say something, most people, especially Nigerians will accept the ones coming from religious leaders.

I will try my best to explain in details what you should know about radiations.

Classifications of Radiations
They are two basic classification of radiations, they include:
1 Particle radiation: This contains charged and neutral particles
2. Electromagnetic radiation: (Photon flow. 5G belongs to this group.)

We can classify radiations according to their biological effects on matter, here, we have two types of radiations: Ionizing and non ionizing radiations.

You must have heard these two in recent times, so what is ionizing and non ionizing radiations?
a. Ionizing radiations: This means radiation have enough energy to eject one electron from the atom of the crossed material.
b. Non ionizing radiation: Particle energy is not enough to eject one electron from the atom, therefore it is said to have lower ionizing potential.

Great, let's advance further. The next question is, at what energy is a particle considered as ionizing? I won't waste much time here, so let's concentrate on 5G and their corresponding energy.

I am a graduate student of Nuclear Engineering. And in one of our course called Interaction of Radiation with Matter, we discussed everything about ionizing and non ionizing radiation.
Therefore, for tissues/matter consisting of Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen (Which the human body fall under), radiations are considered as ionizing radiation if their energy is greater >> 12.4 eV (electron volt). The wavelength of such photon is 0.1um (micro meter). .

Using the relationship between energy and frequency, E = hf, I made a quick calculation and realized that the wavelength of such radiation must be 100nm (0.1um) and the frequency (Hz) is to the order of 3 x 10^15 hertz. We do know that the frequency of a 5G network (5 Giga hertz - 95 Giga hertz) and discovered that it's frequency is of the order of 10^9 hertz. which is million times lower than what is considered as ionizing. It therefore means that photons from a 5G network can never ionize the human body.

We know all these because to excite the electron from the ground state of a hydrogen atom to the first excitation state, you must have an energy of 13.6 eV. If you check the energy of a 5G wave, you will see it is approximately 0.00002 eV which is a million times lower than the fundamental energy of ionizing radiation.

Some persons have also linked it to cause cancer and the rest, this is not true. Of course there are two effects of radiations which is stochastic and deterministic effect. Deterministic effect occurs instantly and severity increases with radiation dose where as stochastic effect does not occur instantly but will take time to manifest.

Let me point out that, those who survived the Hiroshima and Nagazaki bomb blast and were followed in a study called Cohort Study, out of over 100k followed person, only about 2% died of cancer related cases which manifested about 50 years after the incident. Remember these people took many grays of highly ionizing radiations.

Whenever you take flight from a particular place to another, you have absorbed more ionizing radiations that someone living 20km from a nuclear power plant. When you take 1-9 cigarettes a day, you take same risk as someone who took a dose of 3.4Sv from a bomb blast.

To end it, 5G network is not an ionizing radiation, and poses no harm to the body, well not anyone that has been experience now. It will take many years for one to experience any such effect (Which to me is not possible). Some of us have done X-rays, if only you knew you stood against an ionizing radiation, and yet still healthy, you won't be talking about 5G network.

The words of MrPhysics grin grin grin

If u like quote all the theorems, there will always be something u can never know even openly known to science at a particular point in time.. And what you dont know, will always be bigger than you and ur imagination..
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by yom2(m): 1:04am On Apr 06, 2020
mrphysics:
I went through this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5774444/fact-check-coronavirus-caused-5g-technology by aminulive and while I appreciate what he has done, I think enough needs to be done to drive that point clearer to the Nigerian audience. However, my fear is that when scientist and health practitioners say something, most people, especially Nigerians will accept the ones coming from religious leaders.

I will try my best to explain in details what you should know about radiations.

Classifications of Radiations
They are two basic classification of radiations, they include:
1 Particle radiation: This contains charged and neutral particles
2. Electromagnetic radiation: (Photon flow. 5G belongs to this group.)

We can classify radiations according to their biological effects on matter, here, we have two types of radiations: Ionizing and non ionizing radiations.

You must have heard these two in recent times, so what is ionizing and non ionizing radiations?
a. Ionizing radiations: This means radiation have enough energy to eject one electron from the atom of the crossed material.
b. Non ionizing radiation: Particle energy is not enough to eject one electron from the atom, therefore it is said to have lower ionizing potential.

Great, let's advance further. The next question is, at what energy is a particle considered as ionizing? I won't waste much time here, so let's concentrate on 5G and their corresponding energy.

I am a graduate student of Nuclear Engineering. And in one of our course called Interaction of Radiation with Matter, we discussed everything about ionizing and non ionizing radiation.
Therefore, for tissues/matter consisting of Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen (Which the human body fall under), radiations are considered as ionizing radiation if their energy is greater >> 12.4 eV (electron volt). The wavelength of such photon is 0.1um (micro meter). .

Using the relationship between energy and frequency, E = hf, I made a quick calculation and realized that the wavelength of such radiation must be 100nm (0.1um) and the frequency (Hz) is to the order of 3 x 10^15 hertz. We do know that the frequency of a 5G network (5 Giga hertz - 95 Giga hertz) and discovered that it's frequency is of the order of 10^9 hertz. which is million times lower than what is considered as ionizing. It therefore means that photons from a 5G network can never ionize the human body.

We know all these because to excite the electron from the ground state of a hydrogen atom to the first excitation state, you must have an energy of 13.6 eV. If you check the energy of a 5G wave, you will see it is approximately 0.00002 eV which is a million times lower than the fundamental energy of ionizing radiation.

Some persons have also linked it to cause cancer and the rest, this is not true. Of course there are two effects of radiations which is stochastic and deterministic effect. Deterministic effect occurs instantly and severity increases with radiation dose where as stochastic effect does not occur instantly but will take time to manifest.

Let me point out that, those who survived the Hiroshima and Nagazaki bomb blast and were followed in a study called Cohort Study, out of over 100k followed person, only about 2% died of cancer related cases which manifested about 50 years after the incident. Remember these people took many grays of highly ionizing radiations.

Whenever you take flight from a particular place to another, you have absorbed more ionizing radiations that someone living 20km from a nuclear power plant. When you take 1-9 cigarettes a day, you take same risk as someone who took a dose of 3.4Sv from a bomb blast.

To end it, 5G network is not an ionizing radiation, and poses no harm to the body, well not anyone that has been experience now. It will take many years for one to experience any such effect (Which to me is not possible). Some of us have done X-rays, if only you knew you stood against an ionizing radiation, and yet still healthy, you won't be talking about 5G network.

The words of MrPhysics grin grin grin
do u mind those lazy lots spreading fake news up and down. Half education over religion and superstition is a big issue in this country. They won claim say them reason more than those who built the tech. I can remember some zombie reasoning of those days that AIDS was invented to wipe out the black race. And some one will be there spreading the fake news up and down and having orgasm on top of that

1 Like

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by DedeNkem: 1:08am On Apr 06, 2020
Some idiots will still believe the opposite!
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by patosky3310(m): 1:17am On Apr 06, 2020
Mr physics didn't tell us if 5G will cause COVID-19?
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by mrphysics(m): 5:21am On Apr 06, 2020
patosky3310:
Mr physics didn't tell us if 5G will cause COVID-19?
Lol, it's not possible for it to cause Covid-19. Neither will it aid the propagation of Covid-19. Also, 5G is harmless and poses no health danger to anyone
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by mrphysics(m): 5:25am On Apr 06, 2020
Denko2721987:

If u like quote all the theorems, there will always be something u can never know even openly known to science at a particular point in time.. And what you dont know, will always be bigger than you and ur imagination..
It's because of people like you that this article was written. Unfortunately, you guys has been sent to Nigeria to ensure we remain timid, stagnant, and hundreds of years behind development.

You have so conditioned your mind that you lost taste and sense of objectivity.

Now, since you know what is bigger than me, can you show me with proofs beyond your conspiracy theory. Ever imagined that the things you said is bigger than me is just the delusional thoughts of people that anyone can also think about? It's so baseless.

Yet, you are excusing theories that won noble prize in Physics, which is also the basis of the phone you are using to type this trash.

If you guys are not interested, why not leave us to move forward. What have we done? grin

1 Like

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by mrphysics(m): 5:29am On Apr 06, 2020
sonnie10:

Point of correction. When we talk about the harmful effect of radiation, we are mostly interested in the wavelength and not the frequency of the wave that you pointed out.
Do you mind them. I converted everything to wavelength for easy comparison because we are talking about 5G network, so I had to convert to frequency for easy overview.

I never even mentioned 50kGHz anywhere.

1 Like

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by mrphysics(m): 5:36am On Apr 06, 2020
successemma:
Mr physics good write up but let me inform you that theories fail and new theories are formed. In due time you will realize that what you believe on was a lie. I pray it will not be too late for you then
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Which theory has failed? You know what a scientific theory is?

And these are even theories of modern physics. My brother, it has never failed. And you want me to believe which theory? The imaginations of your heart with no proof? Something someone in his room developed and sold. It didn't pass through any proof of concept?

We are bigger than this, you guys are drawing us backwards

1 Like

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by kkins25(m): 7:43am On Apr 06, 2020
sonnie10:

so is it me you should be correcting or the person claiming the 5g models in Wuhan are transmitting at 50ghz huh? smh. and go and cross check the relationship between wavelength and frequencies before you forming cleaner- correcting mistakes grin
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 06, 2020
oghenetega100:
If everything you have said is true (which I think it is) then you are wrong to think we can stop them, we can't. we can only properly prepare for the coming of our lord, the end of the world is near, after reading this I remembered the scripture that said people will not be able to buy and sell without the mark.

What better excuse than, " you have not been vaccinated " to prevent you from buying or selling.
There are 4,200 religions in the world, each one of them think their god is superior and also use the fear tactic to keep its followers oppressed.judgement day will be funny, 4,200 gods I wonder what chaos there’d be �����

God help us all. Let us prepare for the second coming of our lord Jesus Christ, even to my atheist brothers and sisters ask yourself this simple question " what have I got to lose "? Give your life to Jesus today, tomorrow is not promised.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 06, 2020
Has 5G been tested?
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 06, 2020
Fariq:
[s]You only talk on the physics aspect without the biological aspect which concerns life.

5G network operates at 60 Giga hertz which is oxygen absorption band. I.e 98 percentage of the energy at that frequency is absorbed by atmospheric oxygen.

This changes the optical properties of oxygen, which in turns makes it difficult to bind to haemoglobin when inhaled by a person.

In the human body, oxygen binds to haemoglobin in the red blood cells which then circulate to all tissues of the body.

Less binding capacity of oxygen to haemoglobin = less oxygen to the tissues of the body = shortness of breath and related complications.

5G is also linked to immunosuppression that weakens the body immune system. Having in mind that the body immune system is responsible for defense against foreign pathogens including coronavirus.[/s]

@mrphysics
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 06, 2020
HellVictorinho:
Has 5G been tested?

Tested and worked well
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by patosky3310(m): 9:57am On Apr 06, 2020
mrphysics:

Lol, it's not possible for it to cause Covid-19. Neither will it aid the propagation of Covid-19. Also, 5G is harmless and poses no health danger to anyone

Thanks. In case if you are a Christian, what is your take on 5G being used as a vaccine for COVID-19, given that it has been claimed that 5G comes with metaphysical powers?
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 06, 2020
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by efficiencie(m): 12:53pm On Apr 06, 2020
Kolping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyDCHf5iCY

"The truth about mobile phone and wireless radiation: what we know, what we need to find out, and what you can do now"
Presented by Dr Devra Davis, Visiting Professor of Medicine at the Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, and Visiting Professor of Medicine at Ondokuz Mayis University, Turkey.

The Lecture
What are the health effects of mobile phones and wireless radiation? While Australia has led the world in safety standards, including compulsory seat-belt legislation, plain packaging on cigarettes, and product and food disclosure legislation, it falls behind in addressing the significant issues associated with mobile phone use. In this Dean’s Lecture, epidemiologist and electromagnetic radiation expert, Dr Devra Davis, will outline the evolution of the mobile phone and smartphone, and provide a background to the current 19 year old radiation safety standards (SAR), policy developments and international legislation. New global studies on the health consequences of mobile/wireless radiation will be presented, including children’s exposure and risks.

The Speaker
Dr Devra Davis is an internationally recognised expert on electromagnetic radiation from mobile phones and other wireless transmitting devices. She is currently the Visiting Professor of Medicine at the Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, and Visiting Professor of Medicine at Ondokuz Mayis University, Turkey. Dr Davis was Founding Director of the Center for Environmental Oncology at The University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute —­ the first institute of its kind in the world, to examine the environmental factors that contribute to the majority of cases of cancer.

In 2007, Dr Devra Davis founded non­profit Environmental Health Trust to provide basic research and education about environmental health hazards. Dr Davis served as the President Clinton appointee to the Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board in the U.S.A. from 1994–­1999, an independent executive branch agency that investigates, prevents and mitigates chemical accidents.
As the former Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Health in the Department of Health and Human Services, she has counseled leading officials in the United States, United Nations, European Environment Agency, Pan American Health Organization, World Health Organization, and World Bank.

Dr Davis holds a B.S. in physiological psychology and an M.A. in sociology from the University of Pittsburgh, 1967. She completed a PhD in science studies at the University of Chicago as a Danforth Foundation Graduate Fellow, 1972 and a M.P.H. in epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins University as a Senior National Cancer Institute Post-­Doctoral Fellow, 1982. She has authored more than 200 publications and has been published in Lancet and Journal of the American Medical Association as well as the Scientific American and the New York Times.

Dr Devra Davis is an internationally recognised expert on electromagnetic radiation from mobile phones and other wireless transmitting devices.

Did anyone respond to this?
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Denko2721987(m): 1:30pm On Apr 06, 2020
mrphysics:

It's because of people like you that this article was written. Unfortunately, you guys has been sent to Nigeria to ensure we remain timid, stagnant, and hundreds of years behind development.

You have so conditioned your mind that you lost taste and sense of objectivity.

Now, since you know what is bigger than me, can you show me with proofs beyond your conspiracy theory. Ever imagined that the things you said is bigger than me is just the delusional thoughts of people that anyone can also think about? It's so baseless.

Yet, you are excusing theories that won noble prize in Physics, which is also the basis of the phone you are using to type this trash.

If you guys are not interested, why not leave us to move forward. What have we done? grin

Mr. Unconditioned, unrelenting, 5G spectrum mind.. There is no need bantering words here with you unnecessarily.. And i don't know where in my writeup i stated that i disproved the laws of physics.. But that doesn't change the fact that many of such laws though formerly valid are constantly been disproven everyday tru renewed & advanced research and discoveries in science and technology and it would be a pholly on ur part to honestly expect everything to be public knowkedge.. Anyone can draw up or formulate theories including the known applicable ones in existence but it will also take a non-ignorant mind to know it can be applied to give different results.. You of all people ought to know this better.. If u aren't aware that they've been lots of dangerous research and projects even govnernment backed over the years to test, apply and weaponise common things against humans then the joke is on you.. Like i said, what u don't know, u may never know until u seek to know..
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by sonnie10: 1:47pm On Apr 06, 2020
Denko2721987:

Mr. Unconditioned, unrelenting, 5G spectrum mind.. There is no need bantering words here with you unnecessarily.. And i don't know where in my writeup i stated that i disproved the laws of physics.. But that doesn't change the fact that many of such laws though formerly valid are constantly been disproven everyday tru renewed & advanced research and discoveries in science and technology and it would be a pholly on ur part to honestly expect everything to be public knowkedge.. Anyone can draw up or formulate theories including the known applicable ones in existence but it will also take a non-ignorant mind to know it can be applied to give different results.. You of all people ought to know this better.. If u aren't aware that they've been lots of dangerous research and projects even govnernment backed over the years to test, apply and weaponise common things against humans then the joke is on you.. Like i said, what u don't know, u may never know until u seek to know..

Unfortunately science theories don’t work that way. There are presented for all mankind to disprove, if they can. Isn’t that why we have peer reviews?
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Kolping: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2020
We Have No Reason to Believe 5G Is Safe
The technology is coming, but contrary to what some people say, there could be health risks

By Joel M. Moskowitz on October 17, 2019
Scientific American
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/we-have-no-reason-to-believe-5g-is-safe/

The telecommunications industry and their experts have accused many scientists who have researched the effects of cell phone radiation of "fear mongering" over the advent of wireless technology's 5G. Since much of our research is publicly-funded, we believe it is our ethical responsibility to inform the public about what the peer-reviewed scientific literature tells us about the health risks from wireless radiation.

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently announced through a press release that the commission will soon reaffirm the radio frequency radiation (RFR) exposure limits that the FCC adopted in the late 1990s. These limits are based upon a behavioral change in rats exposed to microwave radiation and were designed to protect us from short-term heating risks due to RFR exposure.

Yet, since the FCC adopted these limits based largely on research from the 1980s, the preponderance of peer-reviewed research, more than 500 studies, have found harmful biologic or health effects from exposure to RFR at intensities too low to cause significant heating.

Citing this large body of research, more than 240 scientists who have published peer-reviewed research on the biologic and health effects of nonionizing electromagnetic fields (EMF) signed the International EMF Scientist Appeal, which calls for stronger exposure limits. The appeal makes the following assertions:

“Numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines. Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans. Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is growing evidence of harmful effects to both plant and animal life.”

The scientists who signed this appeal arguably constitute the majority of experts on the effects of nonionizing radiation. They have published more than 2,000 papers and letters on EMF in professional journals.

The FCC’s RFR exposure limits regulate the intensity of exposure, taking into account the frequency of the carrier waves, but ignore the signaling properties of the RFR. Along with the patterning and duration of exposures, certain characteristics of the signal (e.g., pulsing, polarization) increase the biologic and health impacts of the exposure. New exposure limits are needed which account for these differential effects. Moreover, these limits should be based on a biological effect, not a change in a laboratory rat’s behavior.

The World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified RFR as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" in 2011. Last year, a $30 million study conducted by the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP) found “clear evidence” that two years of exposure to cell phone RFR increased cancer in male rats and damaged DNA in rats and mice of both sexes. The Ramazzini Institute in Italy replicated the key finding of the NTP using a different carrier frequency and much weaker exposure to cell phone radiation over the life of the rats.

Based upon the research published since 2011, including human and animal studies and mechanistic data, the IARC has recently prioritized RFR to be reviewed again in the next five years. Since many EMF scientists believe we now have sufficient evidence to consider RFR as either a probable or known human carcinogen, the IARC will likely upgrade the carcinogenic potential of RFR in the near future.

Nonetheless, without conducting a formal risk assessment or a systematic review of the research on RFR health effects, the FDA recently reaffirmed the FCC’s 1996 exposure limits in a letter to the FCC, stating that the agency had “concluded that no changes to the current standards are warranted at this time,” and that “NTP’s experimental findings should not be applied to human cell phone usage.” The letter stated that “the available scientific evidence to date does not support adverse health effects in humans due to exposures at or under the current limits.”

The latest cellular technology, 5G, will employ millimeter waves for the first time in addition to microwaves that have been in use for older cellular technologies, 2G through 4G. Given limited reach, 5G will require cell antennas every 100 to 200 meters, exposing many people to millimeter wave radiation. 5G also employs new technologies (e.g., active antennas capable of beam-forming; phased arrays; massive multiple inputs and outputs, known as massive MIMO) which pose unique challenges for measuring exposures.

Millimeter waves are mostly absorbed within a few millimeters of human skin and in the surface layers of the cornea. Short-term exposure can have adverse physiological effects in the peripheral nervous system, the immune system and the cardiovascular system. The research suggests that long-term exposure may pose health risks to the skin (e.g., melanoma), the eyes (e.g., ocular melanoma) and the testes (e.g., sterility).

Since 5G is a new technology, there is no research on health effects, so we are “flying blind” to quote a U.S. senator. [/b]However, we have considerable evidence about the harmful effects of 2G and 3G. Little is known the effects of exposure to 4G, a 10-year-old technology, because governments have been remiss in funding this research. [b]Meanwhile, we are seeing increases in certain types of head and neck tumors in tumor registries, which may be at least partially attributable to the proliferation of cell phone radiation. These increases are consistent with results from case-control studies of tumor risk in heavy cell phone users.

5G will not replace 4G; it will accompany 4G for the near future and possibly over the long term. If there are synergistic effects from simultaneous exposures to multiple types of RFR, our overall risk of harm from RFR may increase substantially. Cancer is not the only risk as there is considerable evidence that RFR causes neurological disorders and reproductive harm, likely due to oxidative stress.

As a society, should we invest hundreds of billions of dollars deploying 5G, a cellular technology that requires the installation of 800,000 or more new cell antenna sites in the U.S. close to where we live, work and play?

Instead, we should support the recommendations of the 250 scientists and medical doctors who signed the 5G Appeal that calls for an immediate moratorium on the deployment of 5G and demand that our government fund the research needed to adopt biologically based exposure limits that protect our health and safety.

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR(S)
Joel M. Moskowitz, PhD, is director of the Center for Family and Community Health in the School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley. He has been translating and disseminating the research on wireless radiation health effects since 2009 after he and his colleagues published a review paper that found long-term cell phone users were at greater risk of brain tumors. His Electromagnetic Radiation Safety website has had more than two million page views since 2013. He is an unpaid advisor to the International EMF Scientist Appeal and Physicians for Safe Technology.

Electromagnetic Radiation Safety website

Scientific and policy developments regarding the health effects of electromagnetic radiation exposure from cell phones, cell towers, Wi-Fi, Smart Meters, and other wireless technology
https://www.saferemr.com/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by MetaPhysical: 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2020
mrphysics:

It will help you because as it stands now, Nigeria does not have enough network to conduct online lectures or even to follow. Most Nigerians depend on big mb and Midnight to be able to make huge download.

If you keep relying on low network such as 4G, you will only be living in the past. Whereas the world is advancing, you guys are drawing us backwards, yet believe most of the magic performed by some fake pastors.

You guys won't stop drawing us backwards yet turn around to blame the government for lack of development.

The solution for data demand and bandwidth throughput is fiber.

Let me break the 'G' down for you.

You can have 5G and still have slow data than someone on 3G.

Due to environmental factors waves through air suffer loss and its properties is severely impacted. This is called loss. Engineers therefore look for ways to shape the loss and impairments by improving form factor and chip performance in electronic devices. This results in better sensitivity and fault tolerance and ability to receive a higher rate of wave signal.

This improvement is what they term 'G' which stands for Generation.

If you recal we used to have phones with antennas. They have gone away.

We used to have phones with rubber keypads. They have dissapeared.

We had phones with flip covers. They are gone.

These changes in device is synched to the emergence of a new G so the devices and the technology function at par.

For marketing purpose manufacturers develop firmware that restrict certain devices from connecting on a new G and thus compel consumers to upgrade.

To get bandwidth and optimum data performance you should ask for broadband, not 5G.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Tboy1419: 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2020
Skyfornia:
SMH...

I have noticed with increase how some certain people on this forum abuse other individuals whose views are contrary to their own belief or dogma instead of expressing their arguments in a more mature and reasonable way.

A journey through some of their previous comments you will also notice that some of these abusers are Atheists and people addicted to hard substances.

You go about pouring out your vituperations on every thread, creating nuisance and getting supports from your kinds...for your mind you feel say you be James Bond.

Now to the business of the day..

Some of you believe that some radiations can can attack a cell in human body.

You believe that consistent usage of x-ray machines can cause harm to the body.

You uses phones that recognizes your thumb, eyes and face and respond instantly.

You've seen or believe there's a technology that detects when someone lied.

Yet you find it difficult to believe that a technology such as 5G is harmful to humans or cannot have negative effects to a human body? Now I'm not saying that I have a proof of it's danger but the possibility cannot be neglected.

Your claim is that 5G is a non-ionizing radiation yet ultraviolet rays, Microwave which also are among the non-ionizing radiation are reported in most cases to be harmful to humans and animals.

Chinese, the originators of 5G are busy destroying the masts and you are inside your small village abusing and cussing them.

Your colonial masters are determined to destroy all 5G programs in their territories, and you that studied physics in one local university in Nigeria is out here exposing your ignorance.

I weep for you.
. They will still come and call you lazy backward northerner not knowing you are telling them the truth and reality, God bless you,my guy, you are the only reasonable person here.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Justdare: 6:47pm On Apr 06, 2020
hnmm
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 5:07am On Apr 07, 2020
GodWrites:

Everything you spewed here was not backup up by any atom of proof. That is indeed the difference between the so-called atheists and believers like you.

Your lots are able to believe anything, proof or no proof. Even when proofs are staring you at the face, you still doubts.

But folks like you are ready to believe that a donkey talked, that the sun once stood still in the sky, and that the Noah flood happened with a book as the only empirical evidence of such occurrences.

Truly, your kind is drawing us back to the stone age.

The atheist, on the other hand, those folks you so much despise operates based on proofs and facts, not based on intuition or belief.

Next time, don't type such a long epistle without making any sense.

Atheists don't operate based on proofs,
Don't mistake agnostics for atheists.
Atheists and theists are much alike.
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 07, 2020
iomoge2:
my question is? What exactly has been killing living things in the areas the 5G is just launched? I have a video where birds are falling and dieing and in the video you could see a newly installed n launched 5G mast.

China for one, we saw there were two types of death during the corona virus saga. That is some people, fall, struggle and die of lack of oxygen (suffocation) while d others must be hospital related.

What I learnt is that the initial launching kills via suffocation. After a while the whole radiation would calm down n the falling and dying would stop.

I am not countering all you wrote cos it's your field. But remember you were taught what they wanted to teach you. If the Chinese themselves are destroying the towers, guess they know what they are doing.

Also note that I didn't mention Corona virus death to being linked with 5G death. Corona virus is a cover up. And no, I didn't get this from religious leaders.

U are dangerously ignorant and u have listened to that idiatic voice note done by a megalomania lunatic
Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by GodWrites: 7:36am On Apr 07, 2020
Isinweke:

Atheists don't operate based on proofs,
Don't mistake agnostics for atheists.
Atheists and theists are much alike.

.. Don't quote me again cause I hate to entertain foolishness.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Chinese Officials Lock People In Their Homes As Quarantine Measures / 24-Year-Old Kenyan Lady Living With HIV Narrates How She Found Out Her Status / 75-Year-Old Tortoise Involved In Accident In Kebbi, Doctors Try To Save The Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.