Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

What Can I Do To Help My Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can I Do To Help My Country? (2273 Views)

SELECTIVE HUMANITY: This tweet made me cry for my country / Happy 48th Birthday To My Country, Nigeria / I Pledge To Nigeria My Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do To Help My Country? by bhamnaija: 9:53pm On Dec 31, 2010
This is my first post on this forum. I joined because I have a pressing question, and since this forum has people who know Nigeria from the inside and the outside, I thought you all would be the best people to ask.

I recently learnt that in Nov/Dec WAEC, 80% of students failed. 98% of students failed NECO. What is more, this abysmal performance is not a one-time thing. More and more students have been failing their secondary school exams for a while now. It seems like everywhere I turn, I hear negative things about my country Nigeria. I left in 2004 to come to the US for undergraduate study, and I am now getting a PhD. At my alma mater, whenever me and the other Nigerian students gathered and began talking about our country, the discussion ALWAYS lapsed into a bemoaning of all her problems.

This colossal failure of students at WAEC has really struck a nerve with me. We are failing our children if we refuse to give them a proper education. They are the ones the country will depend on for guidance, leadership, justice, and proper government. How can we expect them to do all these things if we don't give them the tools to function within our society? If education is the way out of poverty, these children are being condemned to remain in it. We can point fingers at everybody: students, parents, teachers, the government. But while we are playing the blame game, 80% of our students are failing their exams.

Even though I am not in the country, I want to do something. But I don't know what I can do. What can I do? Does anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know any Nigerians or groups of Nigerians who are doing what they can to change the country? Who are they? What are they doing? How can I get in touch with them?
Re: What Can I Do To Help My Country? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 31, 2010
What can you do?and what do you think you can do?How do you direct the resources without politcal theives .Try and do something in your locality.The young people have taken to the way of life of materialism,and they are not even ready to study anymore
Re: What Can I Do To Help My Country? by OCE: 2:40pm On Jan 01, 2011
I suggest you start from your extended family, village and the town. start something for the youths in that small corner and take pit from there. but firstly, you have to do your home work: find out what the challenges faced by these youths in that locality are. only then will you be able to address them. dont wait for people or groups.
Re: What Can I Do To Help My Country? by blackmann(m): 4:22pm On Jan 01, 2011
The sad thing about Nigeria today is no matter how much one tries, there are several people out there who frustr8 ones efforts.They prefer to see the country in chaos instead of finding ways forward to make things better.

(1) (Reply)

Gen. Buhari, Where Are Your Own Children? / Kim Jong Un Of North Korea Toppled?-Very Strong Rumores!!! / Obiano To Be Impeached?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.