Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) (6875 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo's Best Hat Tricks In 10 Different Competitions. CL To WC / 5 Of Cristiano Ronaldo’s Best Moments In 2019 / Real Madrid Boss Zidane Trolls Messi As He Calls Ronaldo 'best Of His Generatio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Frankdoz8: 12:13pm On Apr 05, 2020
Being in the close circle of a world superstar like Cristiano Ronaldo is obviously a big deal. Gaining the trust of arguably the best footballer that has ever graced the game doesn't come easy.
In 2019, the media was agog to the picture of the Juve star and Nigeria born former Portuguese sprinter, Francis Obikwelu working together. Ronaldo had sought the help of the sprinster to improve his speed.
The perfect location for the routine was Obikwelu's gym in Lisbon. The routine was intense and hectic as usual. The aim was to get the former footballer of the year back to his optimal best and no one couldn't have been more qualified than an Olympic silver medalist.
From the streets of Onitsha, a star was born.
Just like Ronaldo, Francis Obikwelu became a man out of his many adversaries.
Born in one of Nigeria's civil war, epicenter, Onitsha. Obikwelu's dream was to become a successful footballer but at the age of 14, one of his football coaches in Nigeria noticed him and suggested he try out athletics.
Transitioning from the football pitch to the tracks couldn't have been tasking, but after two years, he was representing Nigeria in the 1994 African Junior Championships and won the silver in the 400 meters.
This marked the beginning of an episode that will significantly change Obikwelu's life
He was soon on the train to the 1994 World Junior Championships in Portugal. The outing wasn't quite a successful one for the Nigerian contingent.
A Nigerian, but made in Portugal
While his colleagues returned home, Obikwelu decided to create a path for himself and remain in Portugal. A new environment far away from his hometown, he sought to join the two leading athletics academies, Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Sporting Clube de Portugal but was swiftly rejected. To survive, he worked as a construction worker in the Algarve. Respite couldn't have come at the right time when Francis was adopted by a Portuguese lady who he now proudly refers to as his “mother”.
Despite, finding a new home in a strange land, Obikwelu continued racing for Nigeria until 2000 at the Sydney Olympics where he was the second fastest man.
He returned from the games injured and there was no word from the Nigerian sports officials They left him to his predicament even though he picked up the injury while representing Nigeria. That wasn't all, there was more revelations.
“I forced myself to run up till the semi-final”, recounts Obikwelu, adding that "in the process, I did more harm to my knee." When the pain in the knee has become unbearable, Obikwelu visited an independent doctor who confirmed that the athlete needed immediate knee operation to save his career.
He traveled to Canada for the operation at his own expense. But when he returned to Nigeria unable to walk without crutches, he realised that some athletics officials stole the money for his operation.
“I went to AFN and was told that money had been approved for me, but they didn’t know where the money was,"
The raging frustration ensured he switched allegiance and started running for Portugal.
And ever since, the country has always looked out for him and in return, Obikwelu gave his heart.
Accolades!
Even after his retirement, Francis Obikwelu is the record holder for the fastest time in the 100m set by a European competitor with a time of 9.86 seconds in the colours of Portugal.
He finished second in the 100m at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece, the first medal ever in athletics sprinting events for Portugal. He won 100m and 200m in 2006 at the European Championships in Athletics and became the first male athlete to win both 100 m and 200m in the European Championship.
In 2006, he was voted Waterford Crystal European Male Athlete of the Year by the European Athletic Association, in an internet poll open to member federations, media, and the general public.
“It was a great experience to train with my friend Francis Obikwelu on track.”
That was Ronaldo's reaction at the almost perfect job done. Another great guy has been added to his closely knitted circle and he is a Nigerian.
Igbo amaka!
Igbo amaka!!
Igbo amaka!!!

9 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 05, 2020
Frankdoz8:
Being in the close circle of a world superstar like Cristiano Ronaldo is obviously a big deal. Gaining the trust of arguably the best footballer that has ever graced the game doesn't come easy.
In 2019, the media was agog to the picture of the Juve star and Nigeria born former Portuguese sprinter, Francis Obikwelu working together. Ronaldo had sought the help of the sprinster to improve his speed.
The perfect location for the routine was Obikwelu's gym in Lisbon. The routine was intense and hectic as usual. The aim was to get the former footballer of the year back to his optimal best and no one couldn't have been more qualified than an Olympic silver medalist.
From the streets of Onitsha, a star was born.
Just like Ronaldo, Francis Obikwelu became a man out of his many adversaries.
Born in one of Nigeria's civil war, epicenter, Onitsha. Obikwelu's dream was to become a successful footballer but at the age of 14, one of his football coaches in Nigeria noticed him and suggested he try out athletics.
Transitioning from the football pitch to the tracks couldn't have been tasking, but after two years, he was representing Nigeria in the 1994 African Junior Championships and won the silver in the 400 meters.
This marked the beginning of an episode that will significantly change Obikwelu's life
He was soon on the train to the 1994 World Junior Championships in Portugal. The outing wasn't quite a successful one for the Nigerian contingent.
A Nigerian, but made in Portugal
While his colleagues returned home, Obikwelu decided to create a path for himself and remain in Portugal. A new environment far away from his hometown, he sought to join the two leading athletics academies, Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Sporting Clube de Portugal but was swiftly rejected. To survive, he worked as a construction worker in the Algarve. Respite couldn't have come at the right time when Francis was adopted by a Portuguese lady who he now proudly refers to as his “mother”.
Despite, finding a new home in a strange land, Obikwelu continued racing for Nigeria until 2000 at the Sydney Olympics where he was the second fastest man.
He returned from the games injured and there was no word from the Nigerian sports officials They left him to his predicament even though he picked up the injury while representing Nigeria. That wasn't all, there was more revelations.
“I forced myself to run up till the semi-final”, recounts Obikwelu, adding that "in the process, I did more harm to my knee." When the pain in the knee has become unbearable, Obikwelu visited an independent doctor who confirmed that the athlete needed immediate knee operation to save his career.
He traveled to Canada for the operation at his own expense. But when he returned to Nigeria unable to walk without crutches, he realised that some athletics officials stole the money for his operation.
“I went to AFN and was told that money had been approved for me, but they didn’t know where the money was,"
The raging frustration ensured he switched allegiance and started running for Portugal.
And ever since, the country has always looked out for him and in return, Obikwelu gave his heart.
Accolades!
Even after his retirement, Francis Obikwelu is the record holder for the fastest time in the 100m set by a European competitor with a time of 9.86 seconds in the colours of Portugal.
He finished second in the 100m at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece, the first medal ever in athletics sprinting events for Portugal. He won 100m and 200m in 2006 at the European Championships in Athletics and became the first male athlete to win both 100 m and 200m in the European Championship.
In 2006, he was voted Waterford Crystal European Male Athlete of the Year by the European Athletic Association, in an internet poll open to member federations, media, and the general public.
“It was a great experience to train with my friend Francis Obikwelu on track.”

That was Ronaldo's reaction at the almost perfect job done. Another great guy has been added to his closely knitted circle and he is a Nigerian.

He did good for himself not for Nigeria neither for igbo

7 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by kalufelix(m): 12:22pm On Apr 05, 2020
He is portuguese afterall...which one be streets of onitsha?? ..like say Ronaldo come dine with am for upper iweka...behave yourself!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 05, 2020
All this epistle without photo?

4 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by oyatz(m): 12:36pm On Apr 05, 2020
Congratulations to the friend of Ronaldo.

Igbo Amaka!

3 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by AskProf: 12:42pm On Apr 05, 2020
Brandstudio01:
Hnmm. People get time Ooo.

Guys Instead of Wasting your Time and data on the Internet, i will teach you how to TRADE FOREX LIKE a PRO and earn not less than $10 - $100 with Your SMARTPHONE DAILY. See my signature to Drop me a message on WhatsApp

How much have you yourself been earning?

6 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Frankdoz8: 12:48pm On Apr 05, 2020
Brandstudio01:
Hnmm. People get time Ooo.

Guys Instead of Wasting your Time and data on the Internet, i will teach you how to TRADE FOREX LIKE a PRO and earn not less than $10 - $100 with Your SMARTPHONE DAILY. See my signature to Drop me a message on WhatsApp
go and teach your Yoruba Muslim people that are poverty ravaged. I'm living comfortably in Lagos with biz.

5 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Brandstudio01: 12:51pm On Apr 05, 2020
AskProf:

How much have you yourself been earning?
Well I wish I have the time for secondary school boys

1 Like

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Babatunde40(m): 12:54pm On Apr 05, 2020
ezenwajosh:

Leave igbo out. It is a nigeria thing. Nigeria did not value him Another country did.

Let me ask you a question, if Anthony oluwafemi Joshua was still in Nigeria, would he have being where he is today?

All those ministers taking pictures with him now because he has been appreciated by another country will refuse to take pics with upcoming talented boxers here in nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by saaron(m): 12:57pm On Apr 05, 2020
I know this guy since 2004. One of the best sprinters in Nigeria at the time. He really did himself a big favour by switching his allegiance to Portugal. He wouldn't have made a huge name for himself in Europe if he remained in Nigeria, a country powered by quota system, tribalism and mediocrity.
Nigeria is nothing but a rotten country where mediocrity and tribalism are valued more than raw human talents. That Jamaica, a tiny black nation in the Carrebean is making waves in athletics, competing with America in world Olympics way ahead of Nigeria, a supposed largest black country in the world is a Shame.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by dashpee: 1:10pm On Apr 05, 2020
ezenwajosh:

did you really red the story??

1 Like

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by thunderfirebubu: 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2020
All I can say is Nigeria kills dream. But then una too dey tribalistic in dis country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by vanunu: 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2020
He was later awarded a gold medal, there by becoming the second Nigerian to win an individual Olympic medal after Chioma Ajunwa.
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by tatatar: 1:48pm On Apr 05, 2020
Frankdoz8:
go and teach your Yoruba Muslim people that are poverty ravaged. I'm living comfortably in Lagos with biz.
The people trooping to Yoruba Muslim territory to sell gala and pure water calling them poverty ravaged

9 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Iceyjayz: 1:49pm On Apr 05, 2020
saaron:
I know this guy since 2004. One of the best sprinters in Nigeria at the time. He really did himself a big favour by switching his allegiance to Portugal. He wouldn't have made a huge name for himself in Europe if he remained in Nigeria, a country powered by quota system, tribalism and mediocrity.
Nigeria is nothing but a rotten country where mediocrity and tribalism are valued more than raw human talents. That Jamaica, a tiny black nation in the Carrebean is making waves in athletics, competing with America in world Olympics way ahead of Nigeria, a supposed larget black country in the world is a Shame.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by tatatar: 1:51pm On Apr 05, 2020
Not only best friend,why not gay lover
I'm still searching for the "best friend" part o.This people sef and their inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Frankdoz8: 1:57pm On Apr 05, 2020
tatatar:

The people trooping to Yoruba Muslim territory to sell gala and pure water calling them poverty ravaged
Ibadan is Yoruba Muslim territory, Lagos belongs to we Igbo's.

2 Likes

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Brandstudio01: 2:33pm On Apr 05, 2020
Hartugrin27:

Pls,,I'm interested ..
please sir don't post you Number on this platform. For your own good
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by ednut1(m): 2:34pm On Apr 05, 2020
Brandstudio01:
Well I wish I have the time for secondary school boys
no money in forex. Only make money training people. Deceivers

1 Like

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Nelsonnwagbo(m): 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2020
there is no limit to success
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Talknochip(m): 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2020
Did anybody see that part they said his money for treatment was stolen?! Smh

1 Like

Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by Elimon(m): 4:50pm On Apr 05, 2020
Lol...this thing is major...US football squad usually has Nigerian footballers in it sometimes ...there's an Always ibom woman that was sprinting for Barbados in 2010,and 2014
Nigeria no de appreciate sport
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by timibare(m): 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2020
Ronaldo doesn't know is papa
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by PureGoldh(m): 12:43am On Apr 06, 2020
Odogwu aburo guy name
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by YungMillionaire: 12:52am On Apr 06, 2020
Nigerians have low self esteem. So its an achievement to be friends with Ronaldo? Why doesn't he become the Ronaldo of track?
Re: How Onitsha Born Francis Obikwelu Became Cristiano Ronaldo Best Friend (pics) by ruggedtimi(m): 3:15am On Apr 06, 2020
he is now Portuguese!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

CAF Champions League: Rivers United win first-Leg Against Yanga SC of Tanzania / The 50 Most Powerful Photographs In The History Of Football / Super Falcons Felicia Eze Dies At 38!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.