Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,791 members, 7,798,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

S - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / S (2122 Views)

Daughter, Father Graduate After 5 Years As Law Classmates In University (Video) / Protest In University Of Medical Science, Akure Campus Over Fake Affiliation / Crises Brews In University Of Calabar As Students' Union Government Ends In Chao (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

S by helpmeohgod(m): 2:14pm On Apr 05, 2020
I ended my secondary school certificate in 1990 and by 1992 I had gotten all my WAEC papers.
By this time my dad was retired and couldn't foot my educational bills any longer hence i got a job as an office clerk in a construction firm in Warri through my elder sister at a salary of 1,500 naira.

I was weighing other options of giving up education to travelling by road to Europe with some friends when Jc my immediate elder brother bought jamb form and filled it for me without my knowledge. Though I managed to write the exams, my mind was still set to travelling to Europe by road.

Sometime in 1998, I was sitting down at my crerical desk at my place of work when my boss beckoned to me to come pick my call(this time gsm was not out yet). When i picked up the call, it was jc my brother at the other end informing me I have been offered admission into unilag. I quickly dropped the line, told my boss and left in preparedness for my journey into unilag without any known sponsor
Re: S by Gwagone: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2020
Nice
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 2:57pm On Apr 05, 2020
I arrived lagos from warri at exactly few minutes past five in the evening, with a fast beating heart and my life savings of 17k in my pocket i took a unilag campus bus from yaba to campus and from there i headed straight to mariere hall, the hostel where jc my brother lives.

When i arrived jc's room which was supposed to be a 2 man room; I met about 12 boys all appearing to secure a sleeping position. I checked my time; it was past 7pm. Then this conversation ensued between jc and i

Jc; you are welcome to animal kingdom my brother.

Me; (confused) animal kingdom?

Jc; yes. We all are like animals here. We all live like brothers. Any money you have brought along with you is for all of us.if it finishes another will take over from where you stop.

Me;(touching my 17k life savings in my right picket to be sure its still there ) Hmmm

Jc;Yes meanwhile i forgot to tell you i am the lion.
The rest continued to give their names in different ways which where of no meanings to me instead my mind was centered on how to get myself enrolled first before i spend my years of savings on these animal kingdom.

After strolling out for dinner and taking my shower, i looked for a space in the animal kingdom as they call it and slept off

BRB..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 3:54pm On Apr 05, 2020
I woke up intermittently at midnight to see jc and one other guy who i later knew as father philosophy dragging a book but when i finally woke up i saw jc reading same book and then i inquired,

Me: why u dey drag book for night with that guy

Jc;(laughs) well u see that guy, he affords all textbooks but hardly reads at night but forbids you reading them too. So if i wan read, i go get patient till he sleeps at midnight, then i go thief d book read and keep back before he wake up. But he catch me last night but he later sleep nah. Make u see as i dey take survive o when uncle say he dey sponsor me o.

Me;(at least i don learn this one to myself)

In the morning, i was directed to my accounting department where i would start my registration. The crowd was nothing to write home about so much so that it took me 1 week both day and night for my registration to be completed.

I forgot to mention that throughout these period; i was feeding the so called animal kingdom as well as paying my fees during registration with my 17k life savings.

Day 10 after my regristration and feeding the animal kingdom my life savings purse was empty and i woke up in the morning looking at jc the lion and the rest animal kingdom in the face for the next person to take over feeding from where i had stopped as i was told by jc but all i could see them going out from the room one by one until i was facing only jc my brother face to face. By this time now i know say i don enter one chance for my brother hand. Kai i said to myself; with 4 more years to go and all my life savings just gone in only 10 days. I bent down my head crying there for i do not know who to meet for my next meal. I cried and cried until i slept off not knowing when the last person in the room (jc) left.

BRB

2 Likes

Re: S by boldx(m): 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2020
I have been wondering why you chose the moniker 'helpmeohgod'
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 4:50pm On Apr 05, 2020
boldx:
I have been wondering why you chose the moniker 'helpmeohgod'
Because God has always been by me my brother
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 5:07pm On Apr 05, 2020
I felt a soft tap on my left lap and was happy to see bread and beans in my face and jc my brother by my side when i woke up.
After i had finished my meal i told jc how how disappointed i was because i trusted what he told me.

He sat me down and mentioned names of people in the room and who have been in the school on their own without any help from any relation and even told me that though our uncle was incharge of his university education, it wasnt all things he could provide for him.

I summoned up courage that since i have been in there is no going back.
Most times jc would bring to the room lots of assignments books which he has charged at 500 naira each and with my help we will get all done and use the money for food.

Before i knew it first semester was over.

With the 1st semester over i travelled back to warri to meet my boss who was delighted to see me once again and allowed work with him during my holiday. From that time on it had been like that till i graduated-working with my boss on each semester end.

2 Likes

Re: S by boldx(m): 8:47pm On Apr 05, 2020
thank God 4 you my brother.
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 10:23pm On Apr 05, 2020
boldx:
thank God 4 you my brother.
Will continue tomorrow bro
Re: S by Dave0116(m): 5:38am On Apr 06, 2020
Wow
Re: S by Dave0116(m): 5:40am On Apr 06, 2020
Same challenge I'm facing currently this is a great motivation for me already

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 8:02am On Apr 06, 2020
Dave0116:

Lalasticlala

INFACT THAT IS THE REASON AM TELLING THIS STORY TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT IF I CAN , YOU CAN

1 Like

Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 9:01am On Apr 06, 2020
By the time i came back for the 2nd semester, lectures had already commenced as i delayed my come-back by 2 weeks to enable me receive my salary.
Also by these time i have started getting used to. campus life and systems.
I began to see people like Denrele(whom i identified then as kidivision hero on NTA), Teju babyface of diamond ring and infact Tee A.
Fast forward year 1 end; in order not to bore you.

My yr 2 was stressfull due to the fact that i had no basic knowledge of accounting before i ventured into studying it so i had to do extra work to meet up with others.
I forgot to tell you also that i had left the animal kingdom room after contacting itching skin infection during my 2nd semester examination. The itching skin infection affected me so much that i was uncomfortable during reading and writing of my 2nd semester exams that my GPA dropped to 2.50 because i had no money for treatment. I had to wait till i finish my exams bearing it in mind that when i get to warri i would be treated. It did happened.
My feeding habit was 101 meaning breakfast and dinner.

I would also remember when my H.O.D. Mr ogunjimi came to the class to warn those who was finding it difficult coping with accounting to change course of which i wanted to oblige to but when he added that a year would be lost i lost interest because i couldn't imagine where the funds for additional year would come from.

I could remember most piblic holidays of few days and students would be rejoicing of going home to get money and foodstuff from parents. For me and few others, we dey kampe for school.

Well soon, with the help of God, the 2nd semester ended and i left for warri as usual.
Re: S by Jackossky(m): 9:30am On Apr 06, 2020
helpmeohgod:

I forgot to tell you also that i had left the animal kingdom room after contacting itching skin infection during my 2nd semester examination. The itching skin infection affected me so much that i was uncomfortable during reading and writing of my 2nd semester exams that my GPA dropped to 2.50 because i had no money for treatment..

Hmm this skin itch has been a millennial problem, has the capacity to plummet ones GP to 0.1. in short, when it crawls up to the public area, just know you're gone.

Even with money for treatment, I spent months battling that infection, all thanks to Benzyl Benzoate. Come to think of it, I'm staying in one of the highbrow hostels, chaiii.
I don suffer, the resultant effect manifested conspicuously in my 1st semester exam.

Oh! I'm enjoying your story.

I have a Mentor, he sponsored himself all through, now, he is a multi-millionaire, running a school. Smiles, he started as a teacher, made his first one-million as a teacher. cheesy
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 10:45am On Apr 06, 2020
It wasnt easy bro
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 10:48am On Apr 06, 2020
Jackossky:

Hmm this skin itch has been a millennial problem, has the capacity to plummet ones GP to 0.1. in short, when it crawls up to the public area, just know you're gone.

Even with money for treatment, I spent months battling that infection, all thanks to Benzyl Benzoate. Come to think of it, I'm staying in one of the highbrow hostels, chaiii.
I don suffer, the resultant effect manifested conspicuously in my 1st semester exam.

Oh! I'm enjoying your story.

I have a Mentor, he sponsored himself all through, now, he is a multi-millionaire, running a school. Smiles, he started as a teacher, made his first one-million as a teacher. cheesy

When i remember those itching period i feel like crying now my brother

1 Like

Re: S by lalasticlala(m): 2:55pm On Apr 06, 2020
Dave0116:

Lalasticlala

Story never finish naa

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 3:13pm On Apr 06, 2020
I had managed to concentrate on my last lecture of the day on an empty stomach during the middle of the semester end of my 3rd year when a boy in his late 20s approached me.
Boy: my guy abeg na admission carry me come meet u

Me: Ah me i no sabi o

Boy; At least you go sabi one or two people nah. Why i no go meet other people nah. I no say you fit help me nah.

At the end the boy forced 10k on me for my troubles on his admission processes which i have no idea of. As the boy was about leaving i have to call him back to at least know where my hostel room was but he never did. Infact he never came back for his money nor admission till date.
The 10k was my saving grace for that semester and i equally believed the boy was an angel sent by God to help me till date.

I also mingled with the big boys of highrise building where i had moved in with a cousin in the bq. The benefits derived from the big boys was having free launch with them most times but comes at a cost too especially during examinations where they would want to copy your work verbatim and your refusal could earn you a stop to your free meal.
Re: S by Karlifate: 3:17pm On Apr 06, 2020
Life is rough...
So, you gotta be tough...
In order to get & sustain what's yours. cool

1 Like

Re: S by Nobody: 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2020
shocked
Re: S by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2020
I need a true life story/stories of females that sponsored herself through university without the help of relatives.

To encourage the females here too
Re: S by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 06, 2020
Continue dear, you've been through a lot. Lalasticlala
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 7:21pm On Apr 06, 2020
Anarchy01:
Continue dear, you've been through a lot. Lalasticlala
Am trying to cut the long story short so i dont bore you if not the whole story is like a textbook.

1 Like

Re: S by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 06, 2020
helpmeohgod:

Am trying to cut the long story short so i dont bore you if not the whole story is like a textbook.
okk. You can skip to the good victorious end of your story then
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 9:57am On Apr 07, 2020
Just when my association with the so called highrise big boys was coming to an end , Yemo came into my rescue.
Yemo as i fondly called him, a coursemate of jc and a friend during the animal kingdom days, was a police officer posted to the school bank permanently by his superior. He was a nice person who never sees me go hungry.

So with Yemo by me and another friend in warri by name jb i was able to round up my university education because by then my job in warri had stopped due to folding up of the construction coy.

I wouldn't forget to mention that i had to take on an extra semester in order to escape graduating with a third class as my gpa at my final year was around 2.34.

YEMO is one of the most senior police officer today in Nigeria. When he graduated he took same example from me and sponsored himself for ASP course . The only regret i have today was that i had nothing doing as at the time of his police training and couldn't do much to return his help but i do call and appreciate his help till date.

My appreciation also goes to jb my friend in warri.

Finally, my appreciation goes to NAIRALAND and Mr SEUN OSEWA for giving me the opportunity to be where i am today through adverts on sales of car free of charge.

ĢOD IS THE ULTIMATE PROVIDER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S by unibenakpos(m): 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2020
helpmeohgod:
Just when my association with the so called highrise big boys was coming to an end , Yemo came into my rescue.
Yemo as i fondly called him, a coursemate of jc and a friend during the animal kingdom days, was a police officer posted to the school bank permanently by his superior. He was a nice person who never sees me go hungry.

So with Yemo by me and another friend in warri by name jb i was able to round up my university education because by then my job in warri had stopped due to folding up of the construction coy.

I wouldn't forget to mention that i had to take on an extra semester in order to escape graduating with a third class as my gpa at my final year was around 2.34.

YEMO is one of the most senior police officer today in Nigeria. When he graduated he took same example from me and sponsored himself for ASP course . The only regret i have today was that i had nothing doing as at the time of his police training and couldn't do much to return his help but i do call and appreciate his help till date.

Finally, my appreciation goes to NAIRALAND and Mr SEUN OSEWA for giving me the opportunity to be where i am today through adverts on sales of car free of charge.

j9
Re: S by PrinceJoeWan(m): 11:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
Good evening Sir
Pls I have a laptop and a Printer, so aside assignments what other side hustle can you recommend for me!
I have family footing my fees buh my issue is feeding and saving, I don't want to live school without saving something tangible!

Thanks

helpmeohgod:

Re: S by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2020
PrinceJoeWan:
Good evening Sir
Pls I have a laptop and a Printer, so aside assignments what other side hustle can you recommend for me!
I have family footing my fees buh my issue is feeding and saving, I don't want to live school without saving something tangible!

Thanks

when I finished service, I only had a laptop and 3-1 printer with no job.
Then I begged this woman close to my house to allow me use her side shop for business center and she said no problem.,
So armed with a laptop, printer and one rugged I pass my neighbor generator, I started a biz center. It was slow in the first week but picked early on the third week.
A month after, I was printing. Projects, photocopy, scanning, registering people for navy, army, military recruitment.
So you can apply the same logic.
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 8:35am On Apr 08, 2020
PrinceJoeWan:
Good evening Sir

Thanks

WOW:
WITH A LAPTOP AND A PRINTER, YOU ARE A BIG BOY ALREADY ON CAMPUS. JUST TRY AND ADD A PHOTOCOPY MACHINE NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT IS AND THE SKY WILL BE YOUR LIMIT..
Re: S by helpmeohgod(m): 10:34am On Apr 08, 2020
PrinceJoeWan:
Good evening Sir

Thanks

You can also buy hostel accomomodation allocated to the big guys at cheap rate and resell at ptofit
Re: S by PrinceJoeWan(m): 3:33pm On Apr 08, 2020
Thanks Sir, your reply will be, applied when school resumes!

Thanks
Re: S by Divay22(f): 6:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
Hmmm
Even if i forget to pray for myself, i can never forget to pray for my mum.
That God should prolong her life, increase her financially and bless the works of her hands to be able to take care of my needs in school.
I just can't imagine the frustration of going through school without no help from anybody.

Op, i hope your story will encourage many out there.
One just have to look at the big picture of life and continue. You're allowed to rest, cry, but giving up should never be an option.
God bless you and increase you on every side.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb Cut Off Mark! / Help Please When Is Uni Abuja Selling Post Graduate Form / Study abroad free - Nigerian Undergraduates only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.