Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:45 PM

NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? (2920 Views)

Litchat App: New Features Added (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2020
Maybe am Paranoid, but I kinda Feel that NAIRALAND is been
negleted and not been updated with More features and User Experience.
Since 15years of its birth, Nairaland has been stuck with what it was...
Hey Developers and Users What Kind of Features Do You Think Nairaland Should Have Had By now?
For ChristSake Its almost as old as Facebook.
Drop Your Own Comment.!! Let the Owner of the Once most Visited website see it...!!!
For me entirely I feel Nairaland should have Graduated From been just a blog to a full fledge Web app with I can't count features..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2020
Grandlord wane01 Maskky Ejiod Mastergramnet Oluwaseun Osewa
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by chatinent: 8:00pm On Apr 06, 2020
Nairaland.com started off with SMF .. I don't know why Seun has refused to enhance it.. It has bad support for complaints, ancient plugins etc.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Grandlord: 8:46pm On Apr 06, 2020
I usually don't do comparisons but sometimes comparisons and competitions can help us grow. Interestingly, the American equivalent of Nairaland, Reddit, started up the same year as nairaland. That's 2005. Well, today, Reddit is light years ahead in everything; talk of functionality, user experience, moderation, security and mobile application.

Well, Nairaland, let's see, uhm, recently they did some work on the UI but I think it can be better.

The text editor? is awful especially when you quote someone else's message. Some colourful demarcation would be better I think.

All subsequent quotes can be tucked in the main post quoted, like parent and child quotes...just like in Reddit. It prevents derailing from the main topic of discourse.

An actual, functional moderator bot to filter out spam and annoying adverts not just for ban.

A DISLIKE button for god's sake! Some as$holes need to know they're posting sh1t and if you get up to say, a hundred dislikes on a post, you get banned for a while.

A drop-down menu is better that the FT, FS stuff, I mean I have a hard time figuring out what they mean, ffs. An actual creative nav bar would be great.

What about an actual app huh? Allergic to that?

Then again, I'm not going to tell anyone how to run their business. I might as well want to build a forum to rival Nairaland someday. So, Nairaland staying archaic would be to my advantage. Uhm...okay that's enough...errm..where are the ugly green emojis again? Oh there they're... I'll grab the cool one cool

You know what? This should actually be a paid survey. I'm not giving anyone free ideas. I still got a ton of them and if the CEO needs them tell him to holla so we can cut a deal. I have some cool dynamic functionality ideas I can't wait to start building cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by scoundrel(f): 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2020
It’s another one of these threads. Okay.

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2020
Grandlord:
I usually don't do comparisons but sometimes comparisons and competitions can help us grow. Interestingly, the American equivalent of Nairaland, Reddit, started up the same year as nairaland. That's 2005. Well, today, Reddit is light years ahead in everything; talk of functionality, user experience, moderation, security and mobile application.

Well, Nairaland, let's see, uhm, recently they did some work on the UI but I think it can be better.

The text editor? is awful especially when you quote someone else's message. Some colourful demarcation would be better I think.

All subsequent quotes can be tucked in the main post quoted, like parent and child quotes...just like in Reddit. It prevents derailing from the main topic of discourse.

An actual, functional moderator bot to filter out spam and annoying adverts not just for ban.

A DISLIKE button for god's sake! Some as$holes need to know they're posting sh1t and if you get up to say, a hundred dislikes on a post, you get banned for a while.

A drop-down menu is better that the FT, FS stuff, I mean I have a hard time figuring out what they mean, ffs. An actual creative nav bar would be great.

Then again, I'm not going to tell anyone how to run their business. I might as well want to build a forum to rival Nairaland someday. So, Nairaland staying archaic would be to my advantage. Uhm...okay that's enough...errm..where are the ugly green emojis again? Oh there they're... I'll grab the cool one cool

You know what? This should actually be a paid survey. I'm not giving anyone free ideas. I still got a ton of them and if the CEO needs them tell him to holla so we can cut a deal. I have some cool dynamic functionality ideas I can't wait to start building cool

Yep you said right.....
I actually Inreoduce someone to nairaland, and what he said was....
"I don't like that site, a nairaland Logo that doesn't change, when someone get mention with a bunch of others, you find your alias bunked up like a God Dam*n C codes"... and a bunch of other shi*ts I can't recall...
I like Nairaland, I would like Improvements so I don't find Myself drawn to other... "Its Like site"
Just saying....
If you want more, then you gatta do more.!!

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 7:12pm On Apr 07, 2020
scoundrel:
It’s another one of these threads. Okay.
I guess you are another one of those users.
Okay.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by ensodev(m): 8:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
I love nairaland just the way it is, yet little upgrade is not bad, but sometimes, it not always about what a site look like there are some other things we need to look into.

"When the use of a thing is not known abuse is inevitable" that's what they say. If nairaland is fulfilling it purpose of existence rightly some of this upgrades might not be necessarily important.

Unfortunately only the owner can actually tell and some who are ready to just face the truth.
Firms do have visions and missions and you really don't have to bring in noise or distractions into it if its of no relevents.

Most of these new features or requested feature also need to be looked into as it gonna cost somethings like time, money and more of those in terms of maintainace.

I believe we at the programming section of this best African forum sees the need but do you thing other sections that the real money flows through really cares. Think about that.

Also, most of the people on this forum are here for simplicity and can't handle or don't even care about most of the features we are talking about.

As a programmer and a business owner, with the few experience I have, with smf app things can easily break when trying to add features and little obstruction in access to a forum like this will definitely have adverse effect on users, loosing data also will not be good.

Just as i have said, who are the real people using these forum, do you think they care about the look, do you think if the site add new features they will use it or they even care.

I see Nairaland as an information bank of Africa, and I think the site is ok for that. I seek info, add info, smile reading write ups. I don't want dislike on the naughty to guy post rock because is naughtiness could make me smile another day.

I don't want Nairaland to be like Facebook, I don't feel it should be like some other in features and in look yet am not saying adding new swag will be bad.

I am ones of the opinion that Nairaland should do this and that but getting into the real business world I discover that "you don't sell what you love to sell, you sell what people want to buy" that's if you want to profit from the business.

So tell me do you still think Nairaland will not be getting flows of logins and page view if those features are not implemented in 3months.

Think more about business here and not other wise.

I do have a picture of what Nairaland should look like and one of these days I will drop a post on it.

2 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by ensodev(m): 8:27pm On Apr 07, 2020
Grandlord:

You can build better and the best forum in the world my brother and that's going to be lovely, but if you think competing with an established firm is the key to a success in the industry then you need to look out the more.

Nairaland is nairaland because it wasn't establish to compete but to provide.....,

Think business and stop thinking features.

Building a forum in future is a good move as you intend.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:10am On Apr 08, 2020
ensodev:

You can build better and the best forum in the world my brother and that's going to be lovely, but if you think competing with an established firm is the key to a success in the industry then you need to look out the more.

Nairaland is nairaland because it wasn't establish to compete but to provide.....,

Think business and stop thinking features.

Building a forum in future is a good move as you intend.
Ah, I can't believe you just said that. Every one in the IT world knows the huge competition between Facebook and Google. That competition drives them, it propels them and those two are the biggest companies in the world right now.
Don't compare business and competition cuz they are the same. If you're not competing with someone, you simply won't grow. That's the problem with nairaland. By now, Nairaland should have taken over Africa, from South, East to the west but instead, its struggling to compete with GhanaWeb.
It's a shame. And it's all down to the reluctance of Seun to improve the platform.

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:16am On Apr 08, 2020
I won't say much, all I want to ask is how in 2020, they cant convert Mysql tables to utf8mb4_unicode_ci so that the forum can support fancy emojis!
Someone with zero knowledge of programming can even do that!

And I don't even want to talk about that mobile app. It's unbelievable that nairaland doesn't have a mobile app when naturally by now nairaland app should be coming with the likes of tecno and infinix phones by default just like Facebook, twitter and Instagram.

Where you are is always a reflection of where you think you can get to. Seun just doesn't plan to take this platform beyond Nigeria.

I read an article in a US news website about nairaland in 2017, I didn't even have an account then, I was only a visitor who reads news and leaves.
The article said nairaland has the potential to be the Facebook of Africa if improved and maintained. That was when I created my first account.

I don't think Seun is a programmer like many people think cuz if he is, he won't be so scared to meddle with nairaland scripts.

4 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by MasterGramnet(m): 8:33am On Apr 08, 2020
Called To Order, Ur Wish Granted- Niaraland Have Not Been Negleted And Had Been Updated Many Time. Facebook, Google, Nairaland N Others Are Not The Same Thing Even If They Have Many Functional Similarities. Nairaland Is Designed 4this Purpose To Suit Its Users N I Think It Already Have Its Own App Meaning U Can Download It Into Ur Phone. Facebook Can't Change Their Format To Google Likewise Google N So Nairaland, But The Necessary Additions N Changes Needs To Be Discuss 4better Usage.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by mcqwerty(m): 10:48am On Apr 08, 2020
MasterGramnet:
Called To Order, Ur Wish Granted- Niaraland Have Not Been Negleted And Had Been Updated Many Time. Facebook, Google, Nairaland N Others Are Not The Same Thing Even If They Have Many Functional Similarities. Nairaland Is Designed 4this Purpose To Suit Its Users N I Think It Already Have Its Own App Meaning U Can Download It Into Ur Phone. Facebook Can't Change Their Format To Google Likewise Google N So Nairaland, But The Necessary Additions N Changes Needs To Be Discuss 4better Usage.

Pls stop typing like this. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2020
MasterGramnet:
Well it doesn't change the fact that when something is updated, doesn't mean it has new features.
You made a point that Nairaland is different from Google and Facebook, of which is quite so, but can u specifically tell me what Google was when it was created as well as Facebook, compared to what they was, they had expanded beyond their horizon, their risk had paid off. If you want to go somewhere you have to leave your comfort zone...
And the supposed owner of nairaland ain't ready to do that. Nairaland has less than 3million users and how many active.?, since 2005. That's poor.!!!!
"The Fact something works well, doesn't mean It cannot be Improved" - Black Panther.

2 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by trytillmake(m): 1:52pm On Apr 08, 2020
Subtle changes will not be bad but i think Nairaland reflects the general behavior patterns of Nigerians e.g we nr send, we don’t have time to go thru things as long as the initial purpose fulfills a want.

Facebook and Google Plus who won? Facebook still wins cause people don’t have time to be going from platform to another, as long as the initial one aint broken.

Since nairaland aint broken traffic will be constant, i mean when nairaland had a timeout for about a week last year or so, it was generally in the news that the site was down, people were bored even though other forums had great features why? cause it was not like nairaland.

I feel as a business that is profitable and succeeded so far, people want simplicity especially women nobody wan break head look for button or know wat a button is doing, hence nairaland remains so cause it is simple to use and easily navigated by people no much wahala understanding what the forum is about.

But i feel features like:

Dislike button will not be bad

Comments under a post, like a dropdown to see all comments under a post cool, show first 2, then click to show more.

Feature where a person has an ability to log in and change his own background picture will be great for women, since they like to snap picture always.

Overall i dont think Seun will change this in the nearest feature, since it aint broken why fix it, na so i see am o.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 08, 2020
I don't think Seu.n sleeps with his two eyes closed as regards to this issue. But I feel we all need him to hasten up. But things do not always happen that way.

Nairaland doesn't have to look like Google or Facebook in outlook or layout. There is a touch Nairaland needs, although I'm not in the position to make or suggest that touch because I am not well versed in these stuffs yet. But when this touch is made, the users would inarguably feel that thrill that would accompany the signature tap.

You do not know the story of Google or Facebook, neither do I; the funds, set-up, organization and the rest.

That touch, pals!
That signature tap-in!
cool
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 08, 2020
Lordpeckxy:

"The Fact something works well, doesn't mean It cannot be Improved" - Black Panther.
Facts

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by maxjax(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2020
use to have nairaland old UI screenshot
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by ABCthings: 9:10pm On Apr 08, 2020
Grandlord:

guy you be JJC, many! I repeat many! people have given more awesome advice but nothing ever happens.

Everything in Nigeria is rocket science., tongue

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by ABCthings: 9:22pm On Apr 08, 2020
ensodev:
I love nairaland just the way it is, yet little upgrade is not bad, but sometimes, it not always about what a site look like there are some other things we need to look into.

"When the use of a thing is not known abuse is inevitable" that's what they say. If nairaland is fulfilling it purpose of existence rightly some of this upgrades might not be necessarily important.

Unfortunately only the owner can actually tell and some who are ready to just face the truth.
Firms do have visions and missions and you really don't have to bring in noise or distractions into it if its of no relevents.

Most of these new features or requested feature also need to be looked into as it gonna cost somethings like time, money and more of those in terms of maintainace.

I believe we at the programming section of this best African forum sees the need but do you thing other sections that the real money flows through really cares. Think about that.

Also, most of the people on this forum are here for simplicity and can't handle or don't even care about most of the features we are talking about.

As a programmer and a business owner, with the few experience I have, with smf app things can easily break when trying to add features and little obstruction in access to a forum like this will definitely have adverse effect on users, loosing data also will not be good.

Just as i have said, who are the real people using these forum, do you think they care about the look, do you think if the site add new features they will use it or they even care.

I see Nairaland as an information bank of Africa, and I think the site is ok for that. I seek info, add info, smile reading write ups. I don't want dislike on the naughty to guy post rock because is naughtiness could make me smile another day.

I don't want Nairaland to be like Facebook, I don't feel it should be like some other in features and in look yet am not saying adding new swag will be bad.

I am ones of the opinion that Nairaland should do this and that but getting into the real business world I discover that "you don't sell what you love to sell, you sell what people want to buy" that's if you want to profit from the business.

So tell me do you still think Nairaland will not be getting flows of logins and page view if those features are not implemented in 3months.

Think more about business here and not other wise.

I do have a picture of what Nairaland should look like and one of these days I will drop a post on it.

Guy, no base, no base you no get base.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Grandlord: 9:53pm On Apr 08, 2020
ABCthings:
guy you be JJC, many! I repeat many! people have given more awesome advice but nothing ever happens.

Everything in Nigeria is rocket science., tongue
Okay na.That one no be my headache. So long as him account dey ring life goes on.
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2020
crownedrookie:

Facts
Lol brothel patronizer AKA ashawo man!

How far have you gone with the verification video?
I know you are very happy now because you have discovered how to make money while roaming brothels. I've shown you the secret. You should be worshiping me by now.

Let me give you quick tips that will help your career:
Once you visit those bothels you can negotiate with your customers to record videos you can upload later.

Cool business right?
Lol old mumu
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2020
cheesy cheesy
The shameless blackmailing earthworm is still dragging its rotting carcass from thread to thread announcing its imbecility.
Still frustrating the braindead thing. No mentions for you gutter rat cheesy

2 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 09, 2020
crownedrookie:
cheesy cheesy
The shameless blackmailing earthworm is still dragging its rotting carcass from thread to thread announcing its imbecility.
Still frustrating the braindead thing. No mentions for you gutter rat cheesy
Lol its very sweet to see the way you are so foolish and retarde.d.

I have your mumu button! cheesy

I can drag you to any thread because you must surely post a comment.

I'm your lord and savior.

2 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 09, 2020
crownedrookie:

Facts

You're wrong!
It should be "Fact"
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 09, 2020
locust:

You're wrong!
It should be "Fact"
K
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by chim14(m): 3:26pm On Apr 10, 2020
I like Nairaland the way it is. What I love more is the lightness and the speed at which it loads, even less powerful phones can load Nairaland.

Some so called modern websites with all the stupid React and Angular, take like forever to load. Some it's ads that mess up the speed e.g Lindaikeji blog, Nairaland has ads but it loads very well & smoothly with millions of users....that's more important.

4 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Ajibade123(m): 4:10pm On Apr 10, 2020
Seun say something please

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Lordpeckxy(m): 8:14am On Apr 11, 2020
chim14:
I like Nairaland the way it is. What I love more is the lightness and the speed at which it loads, even less powerful phones can load Nairaland.

Some so called modern websites with all the stupid React and Angular, take like forever to load. Some it's ads that mess up the speed e.g Lindaikeji blog, Nairaland has ads but it loads very well & smoothly with millions of users....that's more important.
Bro what are you saying.?
React and Angular slow.?
I don't think you knw waht you are saying.
React was developed by FaceBook, which we all know is very obsessive with performance, so is Google (Angular)...
Tell you this, React is one of the fastest JavaScript library,
--- quote me on this...
"You don't have bad programming languages, you only have ill-written codes written by bad Programmers who learnt Programming the wrong way."

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by Mikefrosh: 8:28am On Apr 11, 2020
FREE TRAINING FOR EVERYONE!!!
✔Do you want N5000 every day!
✔Do you want to work from Home?
The fact is you can.
You've been blinded to the fact that you can earn from home, but the truth is if you learn how its done, and you try, you'll see results.
�So join my Free training where I'll teach you how to earn N5000 daily without leaving your house.
�Sign up now!!
�Click www.onlinehustle.gr8.com
Re: NAIRALAND: Why Are You Not Been Updated With New Features? by chim14(m): 12:04pm On Apr 11, 2020
Lordpeckxy:

Bro what are you saying.?
React and Angular slow.?
I don't think you knw waht you are saying.
React was developed by FaceBook, which we all know is very obsessive with performance, so is Google (Angular)...
Tell you this, React is one of the fastest JavaScript library,
--- quote me on this...
"You don't have bad programming languages, you only have ill-written codes written by bad Programmers who learnt Programming the wrong way."

Well while some programmers are being obsessed by esp this React of a thing, one digital marketer is or non technical is just sitting in one corner earning much more than a developer..lol.

Programming language is not important, it's what u produce with it, do people love it, does it have a mass appeal, no one cares if it's just php so far everything works well. The real business world no one cares what you use, they just want to see result.

Only young or naive programmers are obsessed or boast of programming languages, old ones don't, they just select a suitable language that fits the project, get d job done & move one. What good is a react web app with no traffic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OOP Design Question: Model-View-Controller Pattern / Does Anyone Know How To Write A Computer Program On An INTEGRATED CIRCUIT (IC) / Nigeria First Free And Open Source Education Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.