Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,278 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59126 Views)

FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media / Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by missimelda01(f): 11:08am On Apr 07, 2020
Staphylococcus:

What is an 8year old doing in primary 6.

Are you saying He/She was 2 years old in primary 1
How many kids go through primary 6? Most of them write common entrance in pry5
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Farki: 11:08am On Apr 07, 2020
I entered JS1 at 10 years old, did I die? All the people above me are just saying crap.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Avalancheman: 11:08am On Apr 07, 2020
pressplay411:

Easy piecey, just take the kid outside lagos. Problem solved.

Eventhough we know parents have abused the system so much, this is not the best solution.
What now happens to whiz kids? Kids that are more advanced in academic ingenuity than their peers?

No matter the bolded, maturity is needed... smiley
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 07, 2020
Sad parents are doing this. Trying to save cost too is the reason
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Onlyonebuhari: 11:09am On Apr 07, 2020
In Canada and US with some other countries, children can't start school unless they reach the age of 6 because they value parenting primary education. Nigerian has been Killing their children by dumping them in creche thinking they are doing them favours and that's why we have miscreants ubiquitous on social media. Even most of the graduates we have are paperwork and only few can innovate with it. Greatest scientist we have today are the pre WW1 scientists who recieved maximum parenting education.
I will implore FG and Lagos State to focus more on parenting education or else we will continue to produce looters as leaders and corruption we have now is just a warm up to the one coming tomorrow. But good parenting will produce honest leaders

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by rezzy: 11:09am On Apr 07, 2020
udemzyudex:
Funny , parents will still find a way to enroll their kids.

How much will they pay to get a new birth certificate?

Remember, the forged age will be on their waec certificate or is there a way to manoveur that?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by gurunlocker: 11:10am On Apr 07, 2020
Doesn't make any sense...... shocked
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 11:10am On Apr 07, 2020
Donald3d:
This honestly makes no sense at all.
If you don't groom a child well in all facets of life, no matter how old they are they would misbehave
grooming goes with age. No matter how much you force a 7 year old. He might not be able to wash his clothes clean himself. Understanding times in life is very important.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Staphylococcus: 11:10am On Apr 07, 2020
missimelda01:

How many kids go through primary 6? Most of them write common entrance in pry5

Let me agree about pry 5

Was the kid 3 years old in primary 1.

That's not fair. You doing more arm to the kid than good.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by eldoradoxx: 11:11am On Apr 07, 2020
Can we just discuss one topic here without ever going ethnic for once?
TheMohican:
You will still see some Igbo people entering school at 10 years old

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by bukatyne(f): 11:11am On Apr 07, 2020
goldenboyofpsy:
Just like a boss ahead of his contemporaries.
Lagos is waking up to address the emotional and social deficiencies of this rush where children don't mature before moving to the next stage of academic ladder.

It's a giant stride and I appreciate their concerns. Maturity is key and it will help us to challenge the pains,stress and headaches parents and lecturers face in school dealing with such immature lads.

What boss?

And the poor child comes out of school at 26yrs with no job experience when all companies want 22yr old with 10years experience.

Carry go.

Very senseless policy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Truthbites: 11:11am On Apr 07, 2020
JSS OR SSS? thank God I was an unknown genius who left Secondary school at 13.. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by AkolagTech: 11:12am On Apr 07, 2020
Should be 10 years na.
They should be focused on schools not admitting children unless they've completed grade 6.

They just want to kill private international schools in Lagos state.
If schools in Lagos refuse to accept my child into year 7 at age 10, what stops me from taking my child to another school in another state?

Hello international educators in Lagos, it's time to start making arrangements to port to another state!
Should I increase the volume?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TheMohican(m): 11:12am On Apr 07, 2020
eldoradoxx:
Can we just discuss one topic here without ever going ethnic for once?

Will you shut up.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by esti98: 11:12am On Apr 07, 2020
Sensible write up
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by ignis: 11:13am On Apr 07, 2020
Backward movement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by DabuIIIT: 11:13am On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:
You will still see some Igbo people entering school at 10 years old

Afonja JOHNBULL

grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Maximar: 11:13am On Apr 07, 2020
kolafolabi:
Nowadays you see a nine-year-old already in JS 1, I wonder if he or she enrolled into nursery school immediately he or she was born. Good news and move.

Double promotions, especially back in the days.
Despite the fact that I did Nursery 3, I found myself in secondary school at 9yrs. Still graduated from uni at almost 25, strikes and all.
Most of those 9 year olds in JS1/Basic 7 these days jumped from primary 4.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Lufthansa: 11:14am On Apr 07, 2020
I think the question we need ask is how many of their own children starts JSS @ age 12. Most of their children starts University @ average age of 16.

They are just bunch of hypocrite. [color=#990000][/color]

haaaaaaaaa:
So that they will graduate and not have the opportunity to work in multinationals like KPMG, Accenture etc. Wicked human beings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by missimelda01(f): 11:14am On Apr 07, 2020
Staphylococcus:

Let me agree about pry 5

Was the kid 3 years old in primary 1.

That's not fair. You doing more arm to the kid than good.
I personally don't agree with it, I'm just saying that this is what happens in most private schools, mothers see it as a competition.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by esti98: 11:14am On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!

[color=#000099][/color]

Sensible writeup
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 07, 2020
Are they to be blamed? when work institution wants graduate who are not more than 25 yrs with masters degree sef... Deal with those institution first... Enact labour laws that regulate employment age ceilings... Then parents wouldn't be in a rush to see their wards finish university at the age of 19

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Edoziesmart(m): 11:16am On Apr 07, 2020
Good move

I wonder why they scrapped primary six?
Because during my time you don't dare skip primary six because most school won't tolerate that.

But now you will be surprised that age 9 will be in jss1 already.
Making me to remembered the late 90s I was 12 before I thought of enrolling into jss1.

I wonder want they are rushing in life.
Tomorrow they will still join us to face the high rate of unemployment in the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by belcom10(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2020
Good move. I remembered then in ondo state if you are not up to 6yrs you will not be admitted into primary one. My parent had to enroll me in private lesson until I was six. So at exactly 12yrs I entered Jss 1 because of the policy.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by tommy589(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2020
lahizak:
Thats a very good move. If u are vigilant u will observe that most of the people failing in the university are either too young or too old. The ones graduating with the best result are between those age group except in some very small cases. The old ones is understandable but nowadays d people in the uni are just too young. I am a secondary school teacher and I av lot of students in jss 1 that are between the age of 8 and 9 and they are very dull compared to their classmate of age 12 or 13. Nowadays parent tend to rush their children.my younger sister is 15 in ss2 and she sat 4 jamb dis year. She got 181 and if she passed waec, she will be in 100l next year. I had to tell my mum to let her write another jamb next year so dat she can be more matured.

Good that you know that as a teacher. They are so immature, that's why it so easy for lecturers in uni. given them corporal punishment

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Staphylococcus: 11:17am On Apr 07, 2020
missimelda01:

I personally don't agree with it, I'm just saying that this is what happens in most private schools, mothers see it as a competition.

Am very sorry please.

When you say competition, what does it mean.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Vulcan24(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

i once worked as the head of marketing in a big hotel in Lagos... on some nights you see undergraduates still under puberty coming to party . the sight of their immature body and wild faces is a turn off but a guy once said they are the bomb!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by amaniro: 11:18am On Apr 07, 2020
Rubbish Educational Legacy. Countries are improving their educational standard by setting the bar high in lectures and teachings we we only care about age so we can further delay them and theyll prolong the age of retirement. Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Joban2006: 11:18am On Apr 07, 2020
This funny when we have 12yrs old already doing a PHD program in other part of the world
Maturity is not in number but they really need to test the children ability to cope before entering the jss1 through the interview. In my own opinion I think 10-11 yrs old is ok to enter jss1

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by bukatyne(f): 11:18am On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:

A child does 12 - 18yrs in sec school.

Struggles to get admission for 3yrs.

Enters 21ys and graduate at 26.

Serves at 27 (if called immediately).

When will the child start to work?

You will just start another cycle of old children still feeding from their mother's pots.

Una contiune!

Shebi KPMG and co will still want 22yr old graduates with 10 years working experience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by toprealman: 11:18am On Apr 07, 2020
haaaaaaaaa:
So that they will graduate and not have the opportunity to work in multinationals like KPMG, Accenture etc. Wicked human beings
Their kids are outside the country and their grandkids not subject to such archaic system.
Why not kukuma say that you must have pubic hairs before you enrol into JS1
We hear stories of 10 year olds gaining admission into American Universities and this is the sad tales we have to face here in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TheMohican(m): 11:18am On Apr 07, 2020
DabuIIIT:

Afonja JOHNBULL

grin

Ewu gambia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

AAUA 2013/2014 Admission / The Summary Of 'Sweet Sixteen' By Bolaji Abdullahi. 2019 JAMB Novel / 12 Types Of Students You Will Meet In Night Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.