Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59041 Views)

JSS1 Student Caught While Trying To Use 'Juju' On A Female Student In Lagos / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media / Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Shafiiimran99: 11:58am On Apr 07, 2020
optimistic1234:
My cousin bro finished secondary school at 13 years. I laff
what is the specification age in developing countries?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by dammieight(m): 11:59am On Apr 07, 2020
No reasonable fact could completely justify this action. This education thing is not by age. It's by brain and brilliance varies from human to human irrespective of the age. You are older than me doesn't mean you will do well in class than me. In fact, the young pupils tend to be smarter than the older ones. This will only be a waste of time of these bright kids.

...and remember this doesn't stop employer from employing only young smart employees.

I wish this law could be reviewed.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Powerintoxicate: 11:59am On Apr 07, 2020
irunoko:
nobody wants to employ a child or an immature adult.every multinational wants thinkers and innovators not someone who will be giving them problem because of immaturity
what we saying is our educational system should be TUNED UP TO REVOLUTIONISE THE MINDS OF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE - TURN THEM TO JOB CREATORS INDUSTRIALISTS

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by elated177: 11:59am On Apr 07, 2020
A very good step in the right direction.

If implemented will go a long way in curbing a lot of things.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by SmartMen: 11:59am On Apr 07, 2020
goldenboyofpsy:
Just like a boss ahead of his contemporaries.
Lagos is waking up to address the emotional and social deficiencies of this rush where children don't mature before moving to the next stage of academic ladder.

It's a giant stride and I appreciate their concerns. Maturity is key and it will help us to challenge the pains,stress and headaches parents and lecturers face in school dealing with such immature lads.

Your own concern is maturity and immaturity...

At the end of the day, you proved that speaking English not the yardstick of a visionary personality.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Akam2019: 12:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
StPete:
Finishing at age 18, get jambed 2, 3 or even 5 times before entry into higher institution, then finally graduate at age 30 (inclusive of ASUU strike school disruptions and what not), after nysc, you're 32 and past the age of entry level recruitment. What a funny country
you are very very right
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
irunoko:
I don't dispute that.i absolutely agree but let him Go and train for that for at least 4 years before he enters university.let him sharpen his unique skills pre university so by 18 he already has a skill before entering the university

We are in a democracy you should have the right to decide what is good for YOUR own children.
That should not be IMPOSED on everyone

Why is that suddenly a problem today?

No one has a monopoly of wisdom

There is no PUBLIC GOOD in this decision just as ther is no PUBLIC HARM in the status quo

Government should not make decisions that should be personal without good reason.

This kind of decision should have been publicly debated in a democracy not issued in an autocratic top down manner

If you want YOUR kids to train I don't think anyone should interfere but that should not be imposed on everyone
How did they arrive at 12 ? What is the basis ?Why not 18?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by armadeo(m): 12:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
SUPERPACK:
So the 8 year old started nursery 1 in the womb or what? Let him spend the four years any how he wants as punishment for jumping classes massively.

Lol.

See savagery.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by SIRTee15: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

YouTube is not disruptive?
Innovations have to be disruptive to have value or qualify as innovations?
Camera phones are not innovative
Home banking is not innovative
Internet shopping is not innovative?

Internet is not a 21st century innovation.....
Internet was first used by the US military in the 1960/70s...then called intranet.....

Social media, online banking, internet shopping are not disruptive innovations but application of internet technology....
If anything, the above has led to disruptive human behaviour that has more negative impact than positive.....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:
You will still see some Igbo people entering school at 10 years old

Come to Ilesha in Osun state, you will see hundreds of 12 years old boys and girls in SSS 1.

10 years old in JSS 1 and 2.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
elated177:
A very good step in the right direction.

If implemented will go a long way in curbing a lot of things.
evidence?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nextjones99: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
If only they can stop the 10 years work experience and age 25 madness being construed by employers then I will appreciate this move.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by alibiguy: 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
What then happens to pupils who are 'gifted'? Does this mean double promotions have been abolished? I am of the opinion that the state is making a mistake. For students who are immature after leaving secondary school have been unduly shielded. Even if a child finishes his secondary education at eighteen and has had a sheltered upbringing, he'd still act immature. Maturity has nothing to do with age but with values.

My own two bits.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goshen26: 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!

Sincerely, it is a very good policy if all will be affected including Govt wards.

I had personal experience when I was teaching. A boy who could not solve simple equation in SS2 his mom came to meet my cols, a govt teacher (government as subject.

The mom told my col that she want him to write GCE and jamb that same year.

Another student (a girl of 12 in SS1) came to me the last day I was leaving the school for better offer. She said "uncle, all the girls in this class has boyfriends", and she started naming each for me. When I asked who her own is she said "I don't have a boyfriend.

At this point I understood her.

So ur point is valid Sir
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by hush15: 12:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
haaaaaaaaa:
So that they will graduate and not have the opportunity to work in multinationals like KPMG, Accenture etc. Wicked human beings

I won't lie, I support this policy. That is why you have intelligent but not wise, irresponsible people. There are reasons why we go to school and discernment is part of it and that comes with maturity. Today, everybody skips the ladder cos their kids have the edge but when it comes to why they learn what they know, they completely flawed.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by IamGoke(m): 12:04pm On Apr 07, 2020
texazzpete:
Everyone supporting this nonsense is an slowpoke.

Nonsense. In fact, that sounds uncannily like the 'justification' my muslim colleague put forward for child marriage.

I won't insult you but what you just said is absolutely wrong. even in US kids start elementary school at age 6. So, what's your point here?

Do you know what we call cognitive development and the age kids undergo this?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by K4daniel: 12:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
No ...ko le work( it can not work) you know why the Nigerian current economic system is already lagging behind and we want our children to follow the trend and be failures and a fool at 40.

In UK my little niece at 23 almost getting through with his pharmaceutical course and already working with NHS.

If that young lad were to be in Nigeria it would have been the issue of still writting several Jambs at 25.

We need reorientation our system can not work that way for 12years to be in JSS1 Jesu. When will they enter university, get a job with our companies seeking for 25years minimum....continue.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Daymur(m): 12:06pm On Apr 07, 2020
texazzpete:
Everyone supporting this nonsense is an slowpoke.

Nonsense. In fact, that sounds uncannily like the 'justification' my muslim colleague put forward for child marriage.

I will challenge you to do a thorough research devoid of primordial thinking on Islamic marriage or better still interrogate a reliable and knowledgeable Islamic cleric, you will realise that it has nothing to do with child marriage.

A selfish Islamic cleric could just put up an argument on Islamic marriage to justify his actions.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by irunoko(m): 12:07pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

We are in a democracy you should have the right to decide what is good for YOUR own children.
That should not be IMPOSED on everyone

Why is that suddenly a problem today?

No one has a monopoly of wisdom

There is no PUBLIC GOOD in this decision just as ther is no PUBLIC HARM in the status quo

Government should not make decisions that should be personal without good reason.

This kind of decision should have been publicly debated in a democracy not issued in an autocratic top down manner

If you want YOUR kids to train I don't think anyone should interfere but that should not be imposed on everyone
How did they arrive at 12 ? What is the basis ?Why not 18?
lmaoooo when you have children parents without wisdom? There are some parents with characteristics of children so before they destroy their child's life with stupidity let it be enforced on every parent

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Tblesd: 12:08pm On Apr 07, 2020
They should reduce it to 10. 12 is too old for J S1

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by GboyegaD(m): 12:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
The big problem in Nigeria. Am idor wakes up and introduces a policy. No NEEDS assessment is carried out, no vindication with relevant parties, no clear thoughts as to the necessity of the policy as seen in the original post. The worst stre the ignorant ones who usually hails such policy and try to justify it from their myopic lens.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by edoairways: 12:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!
I agree with you on the above submission
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:10pm On Apr 07, 2020
SIRTee15:

Internet is not a 21st century innovation.....
Internet was first used by the US military in the 1960/70s...then called intranet.....

Social media, online banking, internet shopping are not disruptive innovations but application of internet technology....
If anything, the above has led to disruptive human behaviour that has more negative impact than positive.....
Everything is an APPLICATION of something else that existed before
The internet is an application of electricity and electronics
You cannot create your definition of Innovation
The wheel was invented a long time ago its use is a wheel chair is innovative
Just like in the motor car or aircraft or roller skates

The driving mirror is an application of a mirror but it is an innovation
Mininiaturization of cameras to phones are innovative

New applications of existing technologies are innovative
Drones now use cameras in movie making that is innovative.

Nothing is new we just have new ways of using old things

I think your thinking needs innovation grin
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by CapedBaldy: 12:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
I was 9 in jss1 and finished secondary School a few weeks before turning 15. I'm in 100lv now about to turn 20
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Lucky5000(m): 12:14pm On Apr 07, 2020
I laugh
Now parents will be forced to reduce their children's age

Hope it won't be football age now
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by DabuIIIT: 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:

Ewu gambia

E pain am gaskiya

grin
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by kponkedenge(m): 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
I entered secondary school at the age of 11. So this would have applied to me if I were to be born right now.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
irunoko:
lmaoooo when you have children parents without wisdom? There are some parents with characteristics of children so before they destroy their child's life with stupidity let it be enforced on every parent
That is a sudden public health problem in 2020
You don't get it the issue is why should YOUR OPINION prevail against others

Who is the judge of wisdom in a democracy?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by eneyoduke(m): 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
If Davido as at now is 26years then nothing is impossibles grin cool
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by edoairways: 12:15pm On Apr 07, 2020
TemiGod:
Shey 12 years old that some people are already in ss1
Abeg lie small na shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by maestroferddi: 12:16pm On Apr 07, 2020
Nowhere is this anomaly more common like the social media.

Most times, the person arguing with you is either a low IQ young adult or a child whose brain/mental faculties is either empty or under-developed.

But it should not stop there: The authorities should mandate employers both private and public to eschew the age discrimination in employment.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by kenmaro: 12:16pm On Apr 07, 2020
Absolute rubbish! Creating avenue for no competition for their kids who are schooled in the UK, America, etc to come back home young to take up leadership positions in Nigeria while the others in Nigeria waste away struggling to graduate and end up becoming over aged in the labour market for the available juicy positions where there are set age limitations to systematically push away the over aged effortlessly.

In the western world, there are young professors & top executives under 40 and even in their mid & early 30s who are doing exceptionally well. How old is the current presidents of France & Korea, Mark Zuckerberg, etc? Ain't they doing greatly than our so called old African leaders? How old was Buhari, Gowon, etc when they graduated and took up leadership positions?

Today, we are pushing for the not-too-young to rule necessitating for younger minds in leadership. How does this correlate. This is an outright agenda to impoverish the Nigerian masses and subjecting them to the continuous slavery of the political elites. How many political elites have their children in this planned educational system they want to enact?

Selfish and corrupt minded leaders!

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Universities With Wireless Internet Access / Edo Schoolgirls In Trouble After Matching With 'Dorime' (Video) / How To Retrieve One's Jamb Registration Number Without Scratch Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.