Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,942 members, 7,806,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 (65061 Views)

"All I Can Say Is Sorry": Rashford Apologises Over Penalty Miss Against Italy / Chidi Nwanu Speaks On Gang-up Against Westerhof At USA 94 / Clemens Westerhof: I Will Sue Bonfrere To Clear My Name On Selling USA '94 Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by ReeLoaDead(m): 4:03pm On Apr 08, 2020
Italy deserved to win that game. It is time we accept that and move on.
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Coleslove: 4:04pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:
my most painful experience in football
This game was what killed my complete interest in Football till date.

2 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by PROJECTBASE: 4:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
Everybody is selling everything they can sell out of Nigeria. I pray one day we will not wake to be shown the receipt of the sales of this country

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by 9gerian: 4:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
So how much did he and the players that were “in the know” get apiece?

Or could he have single-handedly sold the game?

Let’s have the details of the sabotage!

ikorodureporta:

https://www.completesports.com/bonfrere-westerhof-sold-nigerias-game-against-italy-at-usa-world-cup/
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by skentelelady(f): 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
jaido09:
Very painful. It’s almost 26 years ago and I still feel a level of pain and disappointment whenever I remember that day.

My siblings and I made a mistake by not eating our hot amala and freshly prepared ewedu that night after several warnings from.monsie. we planned to eat after the match. Only to sleep on empty stomach because no one could eat again after so much cry and disappointment cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by abbey621(m): 4:09pm On Apr 08, 2020
ubcandid:

The only thing we should consider here is inflation. There was a time Ibadan, kano and kaduna had a higher pedigree and city value than Abuja and to an extent, Uyo. Today there is a huge gulf in the property cost difference between these cities, predominantly Abuja.......we should be looking at cost of fruits, foodstuffs and maybe popular musicians album cost and international beverages like coke. Land and houses have so many external factors that distorts their value........

Ultimately we are still talking about purchasing power, 100k dollars in 1994 gave you the purchasing power of about a million today regardless of geolocation. Whether it is properties, food items or services, yes inflation is a huge factor so are opportunity costs and the global market. The dollar is stong but it is no match for these factors which are constantly present in every country.

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by olumig(m): 4:11pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:
Took me months to recover
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by MisterGrace: 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Wehrey wan trend. Crawl back to your hole

You didn't watch that match, neither were you conscious to understand things then.

What if he is saying the truth?

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by judedwriter(m): 4:14pm On Apr 08, 2020
AreaFada2:

That game hurts me till today.

I do not like conspiracy theories but Westerhoff's replacement of injured Amunike with Thompson Oliha in the 57th minute has remained suspicious.

So also the targeted injuring of both Amunike and Amokachi. It was like get both out and you are safe.

Amokachi was considered our biggest danger considering his energetic displays against Greece and Bulgaria.

He lasted only 34 minutes on the pitch. That was planned work. They should also check the Mexican referee very well. Nobody got a red card for those injuries.

Giving Zola a red card was just a ruse. Maldini was last man and stopped Yekini illegally minutes before Zola fouled Eguavoen. Zola had been a fringe player at that world Cup. His sending off was a ruse. To douse suspicion.

We had chances in the last 15 minutes to equalise though. Although Rufai wasn't great at keeping out low balls. We probably would have lost a penalty shout out.

Years after that, the widespread corruption in the Italian game was laid bare. Even AC Milan was seriously punished for it.

My consolation was seeing Baggio's penalty fly into the crowd. I celebrated Brazil victory like Nigeria won it. That final was meant to be Nigeria v. Brazil like the great Pele had predicted.

That USA 94 team was our strongest team to date. Talk about failure @ the edge of breakthrough.

6 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by obi4rmhpservice: 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:
I never got over the defeat we suffered. It was just such a painful experience for me. Na dat match make me from that tender age of 11 then, lost interest in football.

2 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by lormarx: 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2020
matrix199:
So he waited 26years to disclose this.
dont mind him, it's just the case of kettle calling pot black. ask him how many of our matches he sold as TA, let him account for the number of players that would have made Nigeria great that he frustrated cause they refuse to sign pre-contract with him. he should just shut up. he feasted on Nigeria just like the later
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Lamanii22(f): 4:19pm On Apr 08, 2020
nijiatech78:
I almost cried my heart out when Roberto Baggio ended our impressive run. It was hard to accept it. Westerhof you try

My mom still spoke about that match few days ago lol... She hadn't given birth to me then... She said the match pained her to her bones lol...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by hisexcellency34: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2020
your fasha hasn't met your chinga tu madre in 1994. so clear off

MisterGrace:

You didn't watch that match, neither were you conscious to understand things then.

What if he is saying the truth?
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by striker07(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
salford1:
I still remember the match. Italy won fair and square.
The slow motion playback of Baggio's equalizer was particularly painful to watch.
the penalty they used in winning was undeserved
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by IdioticNLmods: 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
scopusng:

Id.. generation
You must be 70yrs then undecided
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by onome442(m): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:
I cry that night no wonder because Italy no play anything
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Redman44(m): 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2020
I don't want to be reminded of this painful game again, please cry cry cry cry cry cry. It was a very bad night for me. I was SS 2 then. I was so angry that night. When Baggio scored that equalizer, the whole room fell silent. Very dark day for Nigerian football.

2 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Yankee101: 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2020
I pity our progess
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Paige617: 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:
ya tottaly agree sir.. not good at all

TellPopeyes Survey
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by salford1: 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2020
striker07:
the penalty they used in winning was undeserved
The penalty was the nail on the coffin.
The most painful was the equalizer goal at a 5 to 6 minute till final whistle.
Still the best super Eagles squad ever.
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Lamanii22(f): 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2020
Redman44:
I don't want to be reminded of this painful game again, please cry cry cry cry cry cry. It was a very bad night for me. I was SS 2 then. I was so angry that night. When Baggio scored that equalizer, the whole room fell silent. Very dark day for Nigerian football.

Even 'til now... Nigerian players play as if they're being bribed like they've paid them to play rubbish... They should just try atleast to bring glory to Nigeria, even if it is just once... Wish we could win that world cup some day....

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by MakyavelitheDon(m): 4:47pm On Apr 08, 2020
ikorodureporta:

My Brother it still hurts to this day �
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Chicastle: 5:07pm On Apr 08, 2020
Is that not Austin Equavon am seeing there?

Buh wait oo. Seems those born in 70s are on this Nairaland oooo

2 Likes

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Izigha(m): 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2020
abbey621:

Ultimately we are still talking about purchasing power, 100k dollars in 1994 gave you the purchasing power of about a million today regardless of geolocation. Whether it is properties, food items or services, yes inflation is a huge factor so are opportunity costs and the global market. The dollar is stong but it is no match for these factors which are constantly present in every country.
Guys stop, the dollar is not naira. There are foriengers in this forum
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Revolva(m): 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2020
Bonfere Jo is now a sadist trying to snitch westerhoff
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by jaxxy(m): 5:20pm On Apr 08, 2020
Bonfrere can be paranoid smtmes.
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by AfroBeatDiary: 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by fubbyy(m): 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2020
Lol... Some nairalanders are just reading and won't comment because they don't know what the post is talking about, some of them were not born as of that time
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by alibiguy: 5:24pm On Apr 08, 2020
deedeemob:
I believe him tho, i remember vividly the penalty Nigeria conceeded was so stupid and unnecessary. Eguavoen practically dived into baggios back like he wanted to sleep on him all the while, needless to say u now make such a stupid move from one of the most experienced players in the team. Ha eguavoen u broke my heart that morning

Eguavoen actually fouled Antonio Benarrivo while Roberto Baggio converted the resulting penalty.
Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by nijiatech78: 5:26pm On Apr 08, 2020
Lamanii22:

My mom still spoke about that match few days ago lol... She hasn't given birth to me then... She said the match pained her to her bones lol...

It was so heart broken. Unfortunately it was played in the evening Nigerian time and NEPA did the unimaginable by taken light few minutes to end of the game. It was a trauma finding sleep that night. Anyways that is sport for you lol

1 Like

Re: Bonfrere Jo: Westerhof Sold Nigeria's Game Against Italy At USA 94 by Izigha(m): 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2020
abbey621:

It's the samething, 100,000 dollars in 1994 had the purchasing power of 1,000,000 dollars today. I've lived in the USA half of my life and my father's first property was bought for $20,000, same property was sold in 2014 for $189,000. So many more examples, think inflation, compund interest and opportunity cost. Another scenario, use that 100,000 to buy shares of Apple in 1994, today it would be worth well over 1 million dollars. There are plenty more examples but you get the gist.

Investment valuation is not the same as money or currency valuation vis a vis time.
Your father may have add value to the house. The overall economy may have overvalued real estate. Apple add value to the company every year. What if you have bought ken lay Enron shares of $100000 when the company was ridding, today the shares will be worthless.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Joseph Yobo Plays Football With His Wife And Kids (Photos, Video) / Victoria Beckham Displays Her 14 Engagement Rings Worth ₦4.2Billion(Photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo's Multi-Million Five-star Hotel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.