Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,444 members, 7,801,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E (40187 Views)

Free Nigerian Stations On Intelsat 904 @60E / New Satellite: Openview HD, Free-To-Air, / Nollywood Channel Free On Intelsat 7/10 (is-7/10) @ 68.5° East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 3:54pm On Jan 02, 2011
A new satellite has  been launched on the 26th of Nov, this Friday.
The satellite goes by the name intelsat 17 which is located @ 66º E neighboring intelsat 7/10 satellite @ 68º E.
Intelsat 17 is loaded with 28 C / 46 Ku transponders on board. The are 6 footprints of which 5 cover naija region.

1 Like

Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by GeorgeD1(m): 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2011
very good news!
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 4:25pm On Jan 02, 2011
I have read-up that the Long-Awaited Free2view is to be Launch on February 2011 on intelsat 17 satellite.

Intelsat 17 satellite was successfully launched last week on the 26th November 2010.

Statement given by Elissa Wilding, CEO of Free2View posted on 30th September 2010

Free2View is planning to turn the availability of FTA channels into a business model by offering users an FTA bouquet for a one-off fee for the set-top box. Russell Southwood spoke to Elissa Wilding, CEO of Free2View on 30th September 2010i n London.

Below the radar, there has been a steady sale of satellite set-top boxes that can capture FTA programmes broadcast over satellite. Dealers have been reporting sales as high as 50,000 boxes a month going out, largely into Southern Africa. In Botswana, these boxes are called Phillibao after the Chinese manufacturers and they are enabling local viewers to get SABC content. The same thing is happening in Namibia where those buying can see the latest season of 7 de Laan rather than the last season.

Free2View aims to turn this emerging trend into a business model by attracting those offering satellite FTA content a single platform and adding one or two of their own channels as an incentive for them to pay a one-off fee for the set-top box. According to Wilding:"We aim to harvest what's available (for viewers) and add one or two quality channels. We will then add more channels as time goes on." In a TV broadcast market where there are now a number of Pay TV providers, the rationale of the business is based on the fact that the majority of African TV viewers are FTA watchers and are likely to remain so.

There are lots of FTA channels being broadcast by satellite but there is no single, easy way of getting them and no electronic programme guide to make sense of what you might choose to look at. As Wilding told us:"There is nowhere to find them consistently." There are two types of channels using satellite: broadcasters (particularly public ones) seeking to extend their often limited terrestrial footprint and Governments that for reasons of self-promotion want their station to be widely available across a region:"These channels usually go out as vanity projects and don't know how to sustain themselves." For the consumer, the set-top box will cost US$110 and is able to serve 4 orbital positions:"We can therefore take the existing signal from broadcasters but we want them to migrate to our platform." In addition, users will require a satellite dish. Compared to DTT set-top boxes, with which it may compete, it's not cheap but it's certainly within the reach of a range of people, including those further down the social scale scale from the top LSM categories.

Its own channel will include IEC, an MGM-branded block of movies, South African Asian diaspora channel Saffron, Nollywood, BBC and ITV content. The aim is to bring every aspect of the digital world into the home, including Internet: boxes have the capacity to include a 3G "dongle" plugged into the back of them.

The business model is based on attracting pan-continental advertisers:"My background is TV advertising. There's a billion dollars of advertising in South Africa and the same amount in Sub-Saharan Africa. We're really talking to global advertisers and there is a potential of 85 million TV households, excluding Nigeria. It's a huge market and the question is: how can we really mine it? The money's there but not many people know how to get it. The idea is to put this all together and offer it to them." And the minimum audience level at which they become interested? 50,000 viewers. "Everybody wins. Consumers get greater choice. Advertisers get to their audiences." On advertising sales, Wilding says:"We're collaborative. Any advertising sold by channels will be shared." In addition, it will do its own advertising sales on its channel. There has been a lot of interest from both FTA and potential Pay TV broadcasters." For the latter, the platform can offer conditional access and a more cost-effective way of getting to market.

And what of the regulatory anxieties about unlicensed content in their countries? "We don't collect revenues in these countries and regulators have been supportive because we're not taking money from consumers." There is also a parallel Free2View Foundation that will get involved in offering education and social messaging:"For example, we can offer satellite bandwidth at set hours for rural schools. You might use a good teacher in one school to show how a class can be taught in other schools." Free2View will be available in the next couple of weeks over West Africa on C-band and by February 2011, it will be available across Africa on Intelsat's IS17.

Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by freshp(m): 6:19pm On Jan 02, 2011
Hmm. . . i see a 2 in 1 setup on the way. grin
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by don401(m): 6:24pm On Jan 02, 2011
hope it can be tracked with 90cm or 60cm.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by Lov4sat(m): 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2011
We pray so
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 3:45pm On Jan 03, 2011
this is the ku band beam of that sat

Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 3:48pm On Jan 03, 2011
I have read-up that the Long-Awaited Free2view is to be Launch on February 2011 on intelsat 17 satellite.

Intelsat 17 satellite was successfully launched last week on the 26th November 2010.

Statement given by Elissa Wilding, CEO of Free2View posted on 30th September 2010

Free2View is planning to turn the availability of FTA channels into a business model by offering users an FTA bouquet for a one-off fee for the set-top box. Russell Southwood spoke to Elissa Wilding, CEO of Free2View on 30th September 2010i n London.

Below the radar, there has been a steady sale of satellite set-top boxes that can capture FTA programmes broadcast over satellite. Dealers have been reporting sales as high as 50,000 boxes a month going out, largely into Southern Africa. In Botswana, these boxes are called Phillibao after the Chinese manufacturers and they are enabling local viewers to get SABC content. The same thing is happening in Namibia where those buying can see the latest season of 7 de Laan rather than the last season.

Free2View aims to turn this emerging trend into a business model by attracting those offering satellite FTA content a single platform and adding one or two of their own channels as an incentive for them to pay a one-off fee for the set-top box. According to Wilding:"We aim to harvest what's available (for viewers) and add one or two quality channels. We will then add more channels as time goes on." In a TV broadcast market where there are now a number of Pay TV providers, the rationale of the business is based on the fact that the majority of African TV viewers are FTA watchers and are likely to remain so.

There are lots of FTA channels being broadcast by satellite but there is no single, easy way of getting them and no electronic programme guide to make sense of what you might choose to look at. As Wilding told us:"There is nowhere to find them consistently." There are two types of channels using satellite: broadcasters (particularly public ones) seeking to extend their often limited terrestrial footprint and Governments that for reasons of self-promotion want their station to be widely available across a region:"These channels usually go out as vanity projects and don't know how to sustain themselves." For the consumer, the set-top box will cost US$110 and is able to serve 4 orbital positions:"We can therefore take the existing signal from broadcasters but we want them to migrate to our platform." In addition, users will require a satellite dish. Compared to DTT set-top boxes, with which it may compete, it's not cheap but it's certainly within the reach of a range of people, including those further down the social scale scale from the top LSM categories.

Its own channel will include IEC, an MGM-branded block of movies, South African Asian diaspora channel Saffron, Nollywood, BBC and ITV content. The aim is to bring every aspect of the digital world into the home, including Internet: boxes have the capacity to include a 3G "dongle" plugged into the back of them.

The business model is based on attracting pan-continental advertisers:"My background is TV advertising. There's a billion dollars of advertising in South Africa and the same amount in Sub-Saharan Africa. We're really talking to global advertisers and there is a potential of 85 million TV households, excluding Nigeria. It's a huge market and the question is: how can we really mine it? The money's there but not many people know how to get it. The idea is to put this all together and offer it to them." And the minimum audience level at which they become interested? 50,000 viewers. "Everybody wins. Consumers get greater choice. Advertisers get to their audiences." On advertising sales, Wilding says:"We're collaborative. Any advertising sold by channels will be shared." In addition, it will do its own advertising sales on its channel. There has been a lot of interest from both FTA and potential Pay TV broadcasters." For the latter, the platform can offer conditional access and a more cost-effective way of getting to market.

And what of the regulatory anxieties about unlicensed content in their countries? "We don't collect revenues in these countries and regulators have been supportive because we're not taking money from consumers." There is also a parallel Free2View Foundation that will get involved in offering education and social messaging:"For example, we can offer satellite bandwidth at set hours for rural schools. You might use a good teacher in one school to show how a class can be taught in other schools." Free2View will be available in the next couple of weeks over West Africa on C-band and by February 2011, it will be available across Africa on Intelsat's IS17.

Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by twinskenny(m): 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2011
the big question is, when is it going to be track-able?
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by niddle9(m): 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2011
And lets hope good provider like OSN,Cyfra etc focus on its african beam and give us some fta channel.
Fta for eva!
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by twinskenny(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2011
niddle_9:

And lets hope good provider like OSN,Cyfra etc focus on its african beam and give us some fta channel.
Fta for eva!

my oga how far nw? grin grin
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by niddle9(m): 6:12pm On Jan 03, 2011
twinskenny:

my oga how far nw? grin grin
Oga mi Sir, happy nu blessed Year.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 2:28pm On Jan 04, 2011
I hard that free2view will be coming in this sat by the end of feb, so let's hope and see some of their channel lineup are BBC, IEC, an MGM-branded block of movies, South African Asian diaspora channel Saffron, Nollywood and ITV content.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by Ussals(m): 4:53pm On Jan 04, 2011
ayibatonye:

I hard that free2view will be coming in this sat by the end of feb, so let's hope and see some of their channel lineup are BBC, IEC, an MGM-branded block of movies, South African Asian diaspora channel Saffron, Nollywood and ITV content.
we hope to have nollywood once again woooh
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by 2legit2qt(m): 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2011
ayibatonye:

A new satellite has  been launched on the 26th of Nov, this Friday.
The satellite goes by the name intelsat 17 which is located @ 66º E neighboring intelsat 7/10 satellite @ 68º E.
Intelsat 17 is loaded with 28 C / 46 Ku transponders on board. The are 6 footprints of which 5 cover naija region.

George_D:

very good news!

freshp:

Hmm. . . i see a 2 in 1 setup on the way. grin

February is just round the corner. I pray you guyz will keep the house posted.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by hopeinGod: 5:17pm On Jan 10, 2011
Thats great
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by yemoxtra(m): 7:55pm On Jan 10, 2011
As 4 me i don't see a 2 lnb in 1 setup solution but a similar repeat of the w3a/sirius4 setup trick so the 2 birds are just going to be positioned @ 67*E receiveable by 1 lnb setup.
Gbam O kpa ri cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by twinskenny(m): 8:43pm On Jan 10, 2011
i hope they wont fill up the bouquet with bunch of French encrypted channels
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by hisoccer(m): 9:19pm On Jan 10, 2011
More prayers needed to see dis bird come down in our favour
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by yemoxtra(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2011
The french channels always welcome you onboard but the english channels kai- law suits here and there,encryption,encryption,encryption and if they finally offer you their channels then expect church,church,church all preach just 1 thing jesus christ. Dats jst it lets just hope for the best @twinskenny
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by gadotor(m): 6:00pm On Jan 14, 2011
what do you have against MY LORD JESUS CHRIST BE PREACH ON MANY CHANNELS,BEWARE THAT IT WON,T BE LONG WE SHALL HIM SOON AS TWINKLE OF A EYE.THANK YOU
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by yemoxtra(m): 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2011
I am also for jesus and i support the gospel but not with some new gospel channels coming up to confuse us with different things different from what we already know. Remember that this are those things that cause religious  crisis in the house of God @gadator
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by 2legit2qt(m): 5:23pm On Jan 16, 2011
yemoxtra:

The french channels always welcome you onboard but the english channels kai- law suits here and there,encryption,encryption,encryption and if they finally offer you their channels then expect church,church,church all preach just 1 thing jesus christ. Dats jst it lets just hope for the best @twinskenny

Very funny, if not Jesus, what would you have wanted them to preach?

yemoxtra:

I am also for jesus and i support the gospel but not with some new gospel channels coming up to confuse us with different things different from what we already know. Remember that this are those things that cause religious  crisis in the house of God @gadator

My brother, there is WISDOM in quick to hear but Slow to response. So, hear the words and pick those that are useful to humanity.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by yemoxtra(m): 8:24pm On Jan 16, 2011
2legit2qt:

Very funny, if not Jesus, what would you have wanted them to preach?

My brother, there is WISDOM in quick to hear but Slow to response. So, hear the words and pick those that are useful to humanity.
My broda try and understand that they are running competition with each other right here in Africa rather than really focus on preachen teachen the gospel, but not all of them though, but at let 15-20 channels is ok then the new ones should try reachen Russia,India,China and the middle east rather than concentrating on flooding jst 1 sat position. Jesus is not just 4 Africans but 4 the world
Thank you.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by bimexb: 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2011
the question that am expecting to hear is what is intelsat 17 frigencies,forget about the churches first
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by ayibatonye(m): 3:21am On Feb 16, 2011
Pls guys check out this TP of the African beam on intelsat 17 11498 h 2400,
Stellenbosch University DVB S clear
11515 h 1735 UNISA (South Africa) DVB S clear pls try it and report back

Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by hisoccer(m): 5:05am On Feb 16, 2011
i think we now have some where 2 start 4rm thanks
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by yemoxtra(m): 1:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
Track intelsat 17 with 11515 h 01735  and also 11557 h 22654 to get etv,e Africa,blitz,mstar, mpeg4
Recievable in Nigeria/Africa.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by andymola(m): 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2011
@yemoxtra, pls can I track the above bird with a 90cm dish? I stay in UNN in Enugu state. Thanks and God bless.
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by Lov4sat(m): 8:28pm On Feb 21, 2011
@all I have been trying to track this bird with my 90cm dish with this tps11515 h 01735 and also 11557 h 22654 but could not hit green on it.
my location is Port Harcourt. is any member from my location having this kind of problem?
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by don401(m): 9:23pm On Feb 21, 2011
@all wat size of dish can be used to track dis intel17
Re: New Satellite Intelsat 17 @ 66E by Adewunmis(m): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2011
coolguy in lagos suld try dis new bird so dat we get result let see if we can hit it in wit 90cm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Need Help In Tracking Bet9ja Virtual Stations. / Descrambling Scrambled Channels / All Scramble Feed And Normal Channels Biss Key Codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.