Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Should Churches Donate Money To Government? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches Donate Money To Government? (311 Views)

Why I Didn’t Donate Money To Federal Government To Fight Corona Virus- Apostle / Apostle Johnson Suleiman Explains Why He Didn't Donate Money To Government / Should Churches Ditch Projector Screens And Bring Back The Hymnal Books? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by chilan: 11:05am On Apr 11, 2020
Should churches donate money to government?
................................................................................
It is a dangerous precedent for religious organizations in Nigeria especially churches and mosques to be making donations to government and more so, announcing same in the media and taking pictures of the donations. Are churches and mosques now profit making organizations? These monies they are donating, where did they come from?

Monies which members gave as donations, offerings and tithes to God in churches are not meant to be given to government under any guise. The Bible is explicit on what tithes, offerings and donations collected by churches should be used for. It is also very incongruous for the churches to raise special offerings or donations for government needs no matter how dire. Instead of giving money to government, churches should by themselves utilize those monies and commit them to the same tasks they want the government to utilize those monies on.

The churches are closer to the people than the government. The clergy, pastors and imams know the people and their needs more than the politicians. Even in advanced climes, churches do not give money to governments rather it is the other way round. As rich as Roman Catholic church is, it has never been reported that it donated money to government rather it is the other way round. As powerful and wealthy as the Anglican Communion is in England, they still get funds from the UK government and not the other way round.

Churches by nature are constituted to cater to the needs of the poor, the vulnerable, the downtrodden and the marginalized in the society. Churches are also constituted to cater to the spiritual, physical and even the eternal needs of people. Governments are constituted only to cater to the physical needs of people. Between the churches and the government, the churches need funding more than the government and not the other way round.

No matter how altruistic the intentions of the church leaders who have given church money to Nigerian government are, it is very wrong for them to do that. It has no precedent in the Bible, it has no precedent in church history and it has no precedent in the present day world.

By Lawrence C. Nnoli
11th April 2020

Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by Fidelismaria: 11:13am On Apr 11, 2020
No

Let them donate it to their parishioners
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by SavageMaster: 11:18am On Apr 11, 2020
chilan:
Should churches donate money to government?
................................................................................
It is a dangerous precedent for religious organizations in Nigeria especially churches and mosques to be making donations to government and announcing same on the media and taking pictures of the donations. Are churches and mosques now profit making organizations? These monies they are donating, where did they come from?

Monies which members gave as donations, offerings and tithes to God in churches are not meant to be given to government under any guise. The Bible is explicit on what tithes, offerings and donations collected by churches should be used for. It is also very incongruous for the churches to raise special offerings or donations for government needs no matter how dire. Instead of giving money to government, churches should by themselves utilize those monies and commit them to the same tasks they want the government to utilize those monies on.

The churches are closer to the people than the government. The clergy, pastors and imams know the people and their needs more than the politicians. Even in advanced climes, churches do not give money to governments rather it is the other way round. As rich as Roman Catholic church is, it has never been reported that it donated money to government rather it is the other way round. As powerful and wealthy as the Anglican Communion is in England, they still get funds from the UK government and not the other way round.

Churches by nature are constituted to cater to the needs of the poor, the vulnerable, the downtrodden and the marginalized in the society. Churches are also constituted to cater to the spiritual, physical and even the eternal needs of people. Governments are constituted only to cater to the physical needs of people. Between the churches and the government, the churches need funding more than the government and not the other way round.

No matter how altruistic the intentions of the church leaders who have given money to Nigerian government are, it is very wrong for them to do that. It has no precedent in the Bible, it has no precedent in past history and it has no precedent in the present day world.

By Lawrence C. Nnoli
11th April 2020

I agree with you Sir. Government that keeps embezzling trillions of Nigerian oil revenue. I'm sorry for anyone that has given them money so far. Rather use the money and buy whatever you want to give by yourself, and give it to the people you want to give to
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by dulux07(m): 11:24am On Apr 11, 2020
In a civilized country
is the money donated to the govt meant for the govt or the people? kiss.

Is the church meant to cater for "only" its members physical and spiritual needs?

Why do the bible speak about generosity, providing shelter and food for the poor? Since there is a govt whose job is to cater for all these things?

You can't compare uk economy to nigeria, besides not all churches make their donation known.

Motive is what matters, so far they are assisting the govt to help the people, i dont see how this is not right, or is it not the people that make up the church and donate to the church.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by CodeTemplar: 1:47pm On Apr 11, 2020
In a country where they oppress Christians, churches should suspend any donation towards govt.
What you donate, If it finds its way to some state treasury, they use them to build mosques. So why financially empower an agent of the adversary.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by CodeTemplar: 1:50pm On Apr 11, 2020
dulux07:
In a civilized country
is the money donated to the govt meant for the govt or the people? kiss.

Is the church meant to cater for "only" its members physical and spiritual needs?

Why do the bible speak about generosity, providing shelter and food for the poor? Since there is a govt whose job is to cater for all these things?

You can't compare uk economy to nigeria, besides not all churches make their donation known.

Motive is what matters, so far they are assisting the govt to help the people, i dont see how this is not right, or is it not the people that make up the church and donate to the church.

Donation to poor and needy is different from that to govt. In Nigeria for example, they use state fund to build mosques so why should I allow my money to be used to fund what I don't believe in?
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by dulux07(m): 4:24pm On Apr 11, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Donation to poor and needy is different from that to govt. In Nigeria for example, they use state fund to build mosques so why should I allow my money to be used to fund what I don't believe in?
The same way they use state funds to build churches.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by CodeTemplar: 4:27pm On Apr 11, 2020
dulux07:
The same way they use state funds to build churches.

Show me where that's happening please.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by StrikeBack(m): 4:32pm On Apr 11, 2020
CodeTemplar:
David Mark.

Benue state
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by CodeTemplar: 4:35pm On Apr 11, 2020
StrikeBack:
David Mark.
Benue state
links please. plus if I recall well, David Mark wasn't a gov. All the same give us link.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by dulux07(m): 4:44pm On Apr 11, 2020
CodeTemplar:
Aso rock has both Muslim and xtian worship center, same with most state house.
Check out this

https://www.nairaland.com/3817259/dedication-church-built-governor-wike
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by CodeTemplar: 4:56pm On Apr 11, 2020
dulux07:

Aso rock has both Muslim and xtian worship center, same with most state house.
Check out this

https://www.nairaland.com/3817259/dedication-church-built-governor-wike
So a worship centre in govt house amounts to funding that religion?
What I am talking about is the use of state funds outside govt house to build mosques which is rampant in the north. That's different from govt house worship centre.
Re: Should Churches Donate Money To Government? by dulux07(m): 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2020
CodeTemplar:
So a worship centre in govt house amounts to funding that religion?
What I am talking about is the use of state funds outside govt house to build mosques which is rampant in the north. That's different from govt house worship centre.
Here is another
https://www.nairaland.com/3817259/dedication-church-built-governor-wike..
Yes there might be partiality because we have more muslims than xtians, more muslim in the power house, but the fact remains govt build both. Besides we have far more churches than mosques. So whats the point

https://www.nairaland.com/2061497/st-lucy-catholic-church-ukana

(1) (Reply)

5G Has Killed Many Innocent People In The Name Of Coronavirus – TB Joshua / 100 Years From Now ! You Become History. / Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul Kano Share Palliative To Needy In The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.