Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians (16772 Views)

Two Tired Masquerades Hanging At The Back Of A Bus In Enugu / Here Are Countries You Can Buy Citizenship From, When Tired Of Nigeria / 'Stolen From Haven Suit': This Hotel Is Tired Of People Stealing Its Towels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 10:41pm On Apr 11, 2020
[size=8pt][/size]First Post :

I started this journey 20 years ago but didn't leave Nigeria for another decade.

I could list many reasons but overall the decision to leave was because I believed there was more to life than the country could offer by the time I left I had a stronger feeling that the country could only get worse . Unfortunately I've been right till date , the country has unarguably and unbelievably gotten worse.

About myself , you can call me Olu ( my online persona) and I would rather tell my immigrant story than allow someone else . I'm doing this in fulfillment of 2 things I enjoy , photography and writing. I'd be sharing my story across multiple phases , a few continents , reflecting giving the gift of hindsight and traveling back and forth in time touching various topics.

The plan is to post at least once a day , please hold me to that if I slip, feel free to share your story too smiley

You may also follow me on IG:@Olu_dan_obi

There is no structure so anything and everything goes.

Enjoy the ride !!!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 10:52pm On Apr 11, 2020
Following grin
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by opeey(m): 11:57pm On Apr 12, 2020
we dey here
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 2:16am On Apr 13, 2020
Thoughts on Covid - I did warn you that anything goes �

It's Covid-19 season and I find myself thinking about how different parts of the world are dealing with it or not.

Citizens of all nations are criticizing their leaders and it is gradually becoming apparent that a lot of leaders have no idea what to do , the saving grace for most is they have robust infrastructure they can leverage.

I worry for Nigeria because there isn't much to leverage on , we are resilient and creative in the face of adversity which are excellent attributes unless combined with selfishness or as we say "every man for himself".

The government is introducing initiatives to manage this to the best of their ability but how do you lock down a country where most feed themselves from the fruit of their daily hustle , how do you distribute aid when corruption and insecurity is rife ? Sadly our pre-existing problems are not on hold in the face of Covid.

Perhaps we can start to change gradually , but again is that wishful thinking in this survival mode ?

Everyone is confused and stressed out , emotions are running high and the question is what can we do ?

We can look out for our neighbours, share bread and garri with someone who has less , one person at a time .

9 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Nobody: 5:44am On Apr 13, 2020
oludanobi:
[size=8pt][/size]First Post :

I started this journey 20 years ago but didn't leave Nigeria for another decade.

I could list many reasons but overall the decision to leave was because I believed there was more to life than the country could offer by the time I left I had a stronger feeling that the country could only get worse . Unfortunately I've been right till date , the country has unarguably and unbelievably gotten worse.

About myself , you can call me Olu ( my online persona) and I would rather tell my immigrant story than allow someone else . I'm doing this in fulfillment of 2 things I enjoy , photography and writing. I'd be sharing my story across multiple phases , a few continents , reflecting giving the gift of hindsight and traveling back and forth in time touching various topics.

The plan is to post at least once a day , please hold me to that if I slip, feel free to share your story too smiley

You may also follow me on IG:@Olu_dan_obi

There is no structure so anything and everything goes.

Enjoy the ride !!!
*Grabs popcorn*
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 7:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
Round 1

I made my first independent visa application at the age of 16, I had traveled to a couple of countries as a child but by the time I was "ready"
my most recent travel was over 10 years old , so it was irrelevant. You could say my family was also one of the many that went to bed as middle class
and without any warning or logic we woke up poor.

I think I was driven by a combination of things , I had a number of family members and friends that had sold me the dream
(we all have friends and family that have come back from "the abroad" and described McDonalds burger as heavenly), let's throw in 90s hip-hop as well,
I wanted to be a nigga ( whatever that was), JAMB had also dealt me a nice score of 188 so I took that as a divine sign, I definitely wasn't made for Nigeria.

These were the days of booking US appointments via DHL, my appointment was at 6:30am, till date I have no idea why they made us turn up that early.
I got to Eleke Crescent about 45 minutes before my appointment, a journey that would have typically taken 1 hr only took 10 mins,
I saw my fellow aspiring Americans on the queue with a few Ajebos, from their dress code and mannerism you would guess they were frequent travelers not that the rest of us looked shabby but these ones just had a certain air about them.

Your standard Lagos drama was also going on , the bros on the other side of the road with a placard asking for justice,
the sister preaching and the military men being unnecessarily aggressive. One poor guy got severe beating that day too, no idea what he did.

I think I was on the queue for about 1hr 30 mins, I saw some of the officials come via the waterfront and strolling in as if our lives were in their hands, they had this hostile demeanor, even the gate man our fellow brethren was hostile.

The interview itself didn't last more than 2 minutes , before my interview I heard one bros shouting "I know my rights !",
they had to get security to drag him out. Maybe I shouldn't have laughed mentally at him, but I just thought the whole situation was a little funny,
what is the point of arguing with the consular after he has made a final decision.

In 2 minutes , the consular decided I wasn't worthy of a visa, the bastard didn't even check my documents which were all legit ,
he just asked what I was going for - holiday, who I was going to see - brother and aunty, what I was doing in Nigeria - computer school.I was confused, angry and many more emotions, with my head down , I went back to the car and was silent throughout my journey back home,
our driver at the time didn't even know what to say, he just let cry and cry I did.

That day I came to a conclusion that the default decision for the consular was to deny the application,
I also swore that I would be begged by the authorities later to apply for a visa.

I am still waiting for them to beg me

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Soknown: 11:26pm On Apr 13, 2020
oludanobi:
Round 1
smiley Funny.

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 9:06am On Apr 14, 2020
Nice thread. still following
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by ebecode(m): 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2020
Nice thread bro . Ride on
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by molbic(m): 9:58pm On Apr 14, 2020
this is going to be interesting okada drop me here

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 2:43am On Apr 15, 2020
In hindsight I had no business applying independently at that age , I had a better chance applying with my parents or even applying for a students visa. To be young and foolish eh , that feeling of being able to achieve everything and anything.

I am trying to think of what I learnt , well for one I learnt not everyone can get a visa because they feel like.

I didnt learn anything, I was 16, I was upset for a few days , maybe angry for some more but shortly after I kept it moving.

9 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by EgunMogaji2: 2:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
oludanobi:
In hindsight I had no business applying independently at that age , I had a better chance applying with my parents or even applying for a students visa. To be young and foolish eh , that feeling of being able to achieve everything and anything.

I am trying to think of what I learnt , well for one I learnt not everyone can get a visa because they feel like.

I didnt learn anything, I was 16, I was upset for a few days , maybe angry for some more but shortly after I kept it moving.

I too remember my first USA visa rejection and the emotions.

It was humiliating. After my rejection I went on to visit England, Austria and Switzerland. I got approved for USA visa the next year.

It’s the same USA that you can’t pay me to visit today grin

Gods time is the best.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Beautyaddy: 2:27am On Apr 16, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It was humiliating. After my rejection I went on to visit England and Switzerland. I got approved for USA visa the next year.

It’s the same USA that you can’t pay me to visit today

Gods time is the best.

Hypocrite of you.

Why won't you now be making this statement?

After spending 30 years plus living there and after acquiring the US passport too?

Have you given up your US Citizenship yet?

You really should if you've not. cheesy

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 4:30am On Apr 18, 2020
Life must continue and so it did , another JAMB result comes out and voila off to university to study, that was the year JAMB introduced different question sets to curb malpractices - didn't work , people just got smarter or bolder . I gained admission one of the best universities in Nigeria.

I didn't want to be there so it was a drag , while most people enjoyed their first year, I spent mine thinking about not wanting to be there. I wasn't so absent minded as to fail but I didn't give it my all or should I say I didn't let the university pass through me.

In hindsight I should have embraced the moment ,chased girls, partied moderately etc . Honestly my situation wasn't bad I just wanted more and I had spent a lot of time imagining myself somewhere else and my imagination definitely had wings.

5 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by youngRx(m): 12:00pm On Apr 18, 2020
oludanobi:
Round 1
I also swore that I would be begged by the authorities later to apply for a visa.

this got me cracking real hardddd gringringrin

you write so good man. nice piece

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by feelgoodstuffs(m): 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2020
USA is almost everyone's dream land. But the fear of rejection never make me apply for once embarassed

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Jaycew(f): 9:22pm On Apr 23, 2020
oludanobi:
[size=8pt][/size]

OP remember this and don't disappoint us.
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Jaycew(f): 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Hypocrite of you.

After spending 30 years plus living there and after acquiring the US passport too?

The content I signed up for. Drag him please!!!

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by jojothegreat(m): 12:09pm On Apr 28, 2020
Op please come and continue this thread grin

2 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by oludanobi: 9:28pm On Apr 28, 2020
It has been a few days , longer than I stated at the start of the post( thank you for holding me to account , no vex). Like most people I went into a hole of worrying , you know those rabbit holes where you start from one problem and then before you know it you are at 99 .

These are all what ifs o, interesting how the mind works eh, I totally forgot about all the things I needed to be thankful for , so the moto changed -

If we must fail , let it be because we exhausted all possible options, if we must fail let it never be for lack of trying nor for the fear of failure itself.

As we say in the motherland - We move !

12 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Thermodynamics(m): 8:21am On Apr 29, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It was humiliating. After my rejection I went on to visit England and Switzerland. I got approved for USA visa the next year.

It’s the same USA that you can’t pay me to visit today �

Gods time is the best.

U.S is the best country in the world, there are billions of people in the world today who could give anything for a chance to visit that country for a day. Be thankful for the opportunity you had, be thankful to God that you are privileged enough to get out of this harsh jungle call Nigeria. Be thankful that you got the chance to visit such a prestigious country, even if you're in Nigeria now.
Some people have spent years trying to get out of this country, getting out of Nigeria to a county like the United States is a lifetime dream for a lot of Nigerians. Especially those of us who don't fit into the selfish and harsh and inhuman nature of this Country.

You've been privileged than most, don't make it sound like traveling to the U.S is nothing, because it is a big deal for many.

33 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by EgunMogaji2: 8:35am On Apr 29, 2020
Thermodynamics:

U.S is the best country in the world, there are billions of people in the world today who could give anything for a chance to visit that country for a day. Be thankful for the opportunity you had, be thankful to God that you are privileged enough to get out of this harsh jungle call Nigeria. Be thankful that you got the chance to visit such a prestigious country, even if you're in Nigeria now.
Some people have spent years trying to get out of this country, getting out of Nigeria to a county like the United States is a lifetime dream for a lot of Nigerians. Especially those of us who don't fit into the selfish and harsh and inhuman nature of this Country.

You've been privileged than most, don't make it sound like traveling to the U.S is nothing, because it is a big deal for many.

You do you, I do me.

Cuddle your own life expectations and experiences and please afford me my own.

As I’ve said many times on here, I’ll forever be grateful for the opportunities that I’ve had all my life. I’ve said this many times but you chose to ignore that because it doesn’t fit into the narrative you want to sell. Shame.

My Nigeria, and for many others is a great place. It’s our home. If you don’t love Nigeria, she has an open border, do like hundreds of thousands of Nigerians do yearly. Immigrate.

Don’t hang on my postings and use that to chart your life.

9 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by EgunMogaji2: 8:38am On Apr 29, 2020
feelgoodstuffs:
USA is almost everyone's dream land. But the fear of rejection never make me apply for once embarassed

You just have to put your best foot forward and prepare well. Even with all the rule changes people are still getting visas

Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by feelgoodstuffs(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You just have to put your best foot forward and prepare well. Even with all the rule changes people are still getting visas

Good luck.

Oh thanks for the encouraging word, I will. Have you ever applied b4?

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Thermodynamics(m): 11:00am On Apr 29, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You do you, I do me.

Cuddle your own life expectations and experiences and please afford me my own.

As I’ve said many times on here, I’ll forever be grateful for the opportunities that I’ve had all my life. I’ve said this many times but you chose to ignore that because it doesn’t fit into the narrative you want to sell. Shame.

My Nigeria, and for many others is a great place. It’s our home. If you don’t love Nigeria, she has an open border, do like hundreds of thousands of Nigerians do yearly. Immigrate.

Don’t hang on my postings and use that to chart your life.

Mr Nigeria, on the contrary, Nigeria does not have an open border, getting out of Nigeria to a sensible country has become a very difficult task for most, people die everyday trying to get to Europe by road. You know all these and you still open your mouth to say "Nigeria has an open border"

I'm not using your post to chart my life, because I'm not doing so bad here either, what I wrote up there have very little to do with me.

What I wrote up there is just the reality of how things are for most people from continents like Africa and Asia.

If you love Nigeria so much, why did you stay up to 30years in the U.S as someone here pointed ?

Why do you still have your American passport with you, if America is so bad that even when you're paid you won't go there, what are you doing with your American passport, why not burn it?

You bloody hypocrite,

A typical selfish Nigerian, that's what you are, because you can afford three square meal and you and your family are now comfortable in Nigeria and because you have enough money to fly out to the U.S for medical treatment, that is why you feel so plump and overfed to call Nigeria a great Nation.

You take your family outside to get a good education and as well for medical treatment and you are here trying to tell us how unnecessary it is to travel to the U.S, after spending 30years over there, thank you.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by EgunMogaji2: 11:21am On Apr 29, 2020
Thermodynamics:

Mr Nigeria, on the contrary, Nigeria does not have an open border, getting out of Nigeria to a sensible country has become a very difficult task for most, people die everyday trying to get to Europe by road. You know all these and you still open your mouth to say "Nigeria has an open border"

I'm not using your post to chart my life, because I'm not doing so bad here either, what I wrote up there have very little to do with me.

What I wrote up there is just the reality of how things are for most people from continents like Africa and Asia.

If you love Nigeria so much, why did you stay up to 30years in the U.S as someone here pointed ?

Why do you still have your American passport with you, if America is so bad that even when you're paid you won't go there, what are you doing with your American passport, why not burn it?

You bloody hypocrite,

A typical selfish Nigerian, that's what you are, because you can afford three square meal and you and your family are now comfortable in Nigeria and because you have enough money to fly out to the U.S for medical treatment, that is why you feel so plump and overfed to call Nigeria a great Nation.

You take your family outside to get a good education and as well for medical treatment and you are here trying to tell us how unnecessary it is to travel to the U.S, after spending 30years over there, thank you.

Please quote where I’ve told anyone on here if they should travel or not. What business of mine is how anyone charts their life?

The reality is that you’re simply upset that I’m happy in Nigeria as is some other people. I mean look at the length idiotic and untrue epistle that you responded with? cheesy

I love Nigerians I especially salute those folks who are making it happen here. They’ll always have my respect and support cool

PS: it’s 33 years, not 30. Don’t shortchange me Bro grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by EgunMogaji2: 11:24am On Apr 29, 2020
feelgoodstuffs:

Oh thanks for the encouraging word, I will. Have you ever applied b4?

I haven’t had to apply for any visa in decades but I meet loads of Nigerians in person and on here who are granted visas.

My advice is to not mingle too much with negative minded aspirants, try to join immigration forums like VisaJourney.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by feelgoodstuffs(m): 11:37am On Apr 29, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I haven’t had to apply for any visa in decades but I meet loads of Nigerians in person and on here who are granted visas.

My advice is to not mingle too much with negative minded aspirants, try to join immigration forums like VisaJourney.

Good luck.

Word@bolded. thanks
Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Thermodynamics(m): 1:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Please quote where I’ve told anyone on here if they should travel or not. What business of mine is how anyone charts their life?

The reality is that you’re simply upset that I’m happy in Nigeria as is some other people. I mean look at the length idiotic and untrue epistle that you responded with? cheesy

I love Nigerians I especially salute those folks who are making it happen here. They’ll always have my respect and support cool

PS: it’s 33 years, not 30. Don’t shortchange me Bro grin

Nigerians, do not travel to the U.S, it's not as good as you think, that is exactly what your comment suggest.

Mr do what I say but don't do what I do.

I wasn't even going to say anything until I saw a comment that says you've lived in the U.S for over 30years.

Upset my ass, what's my business with you? do I even know you?

You are just here trying to mislead people.

Fvck off.

28 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by AngelicBeing: 3:14pm On Apr 29, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Hypocrite of you.

Hian , Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by Beautyaddy: 4:30pm On Apr 29, 2020
AngelicBeing:
Hian , Lol grin

lol!...Haven't read from you in a while.

Hope you're remaining well and safe. smiley

1 Like

Re: Introduction - The diary of one of many tired Nigerians by AngelicBeing: 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
Beautyaddy:

lol!...Haven't read from you in a while.

Hope you're remaining well and safe. smiley
l am doing absolutely fantastic and good, I have been super busy and have less time on Buhari -Nairaland, l trust you are fine, safe and hiding in the celestial realms far away from this yeye coronavirus plaguing humanity sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Accident Involving A Tanker At Benin-auchi Okene Express Way (photos) / NURTW Advices Members Not To Panic Over Proposed Ban On Danfo / 4,000 Flights, 250,000 Passengers Recorded At Chinua Achebe Airport In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.