Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,851 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit (17523 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Cost And Returns Of Broiler Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 7:02pm On Jan 07, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We will start harvesting last season plantain around Mar - Apr. These workers are for the expansion.

That is the scarcity season. You're about to cash out my friend grin.
I could remember how i sold 2 dozens of plantain at the local market in ijebu ode for 18k each last year April . Imagine if I had taken them to Mile 12 market.
If you can harvest more bunches between March till August , Na confirm cash out
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 8:27pm On Jan 07, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We will start harvesting last season plantain around Mar - Apr. These workers are for the expansion.
Wow

More grease to your elbows sa

You're expanding from that 80 acres??

That's massive
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by jimmyj: 8:34pm On Jan 07, 2021
Please if any one can help with plantain farm workers I will be grateful,I am base in ibadan.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:47am On Jan 09, 2021
I really pray o ��
OJURONGBE1:

I could remember how i sold 2 dozens of plantain at the local market in ijebu ode for 18k each last year April . Imagine if I had taken them to Mile 12 market.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:48am On Jan 09, 2021
Yes, we are expanding from that and hopefully get majority of the land done Apr/May.
Nezzjnr:

Wow

More grease to your elbows sa

You're expanding from that 80 acres??

That's massive
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:49am On Jan 09, 2021
We had to make reservation for the workers in November and we are outside Ibadan
jimmyj:
Please if any one can help with plantain farm workers I will be grateful,I am base in ibadan.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 8:44am On Jan 09, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Yes, we are expanding from that and hopefully get majority of the land done Apr/May.
Where's your target market

Do you sell to Mile12 market
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 4:06pm On Jan 09, 2021
Target Market is a mix of Lagos Markets(Mile 12 included) and company direct selling.
Nezzjnr:

Where's your target market

Do you sell to Mile12 market
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 7:45pm On Jan 09, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Target Market is a mix of Lagos Markets(Mile 12 included) and company direct selling.
. Wooow

Nice one.... That's a steady inflow of cash

Not good sticking to one place alone
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by jeph19(m): 1:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

Towards the tail end of May to early June.
If you get healthy suckers and provide water for them during dry season (December- February), within 9-11 months, you should get your first few harvests.
But here is the thing :Plantain trees do not like weed growing around their roots, they do not like heavy wind either.
The greatest enemy of plantain farming is the wind. Some school of thought believes if you have trees in the farm, they sometimes take the hit to reduce the damage.
Yea... palm trees and cocoa trees help breakdown wind speed. secondly, average height fencing works well.
Last option should be propping.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 9:55am On Jan 13, 2021
Emempaul:

20:10:10
at the initial stage of growths, (0-6 months) urea is adviced for vegetative growth
(6- maturity) urea together with 20:10:10 shud be used I alternating dose every 2 weeks
Should this be done immediately after planting

What about Manure
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 11:02am On Jan 13, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

You used Rain fed irrigation ryt
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 9:27pm On Jan 13, 2021
Nezzjnr:

You used Rain fed irrigation ryt

No.
Just pumping machine & 3yard hose.
There's a river nearby the farm, so it was easy to feed the plantain trees with water.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

No.
Just pumping machine & 3yard hose.
There's a river nearby the farm, so it was easy to feed the plantain trees with water.
I'm planning on Rain oooo
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by jayyjayy1(m): 3:04am On Jan 14, 2021
jimmyj:
If you are in need of farm labourers, yearly paid workers. Contact marhabfarms@gmail.com
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 5:49pm On Jan 17, 2021
Joyoftheearth what month did you start planting and was your harvest a uniform harvest??
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by basicallyme(m): 7:13pm On Jan 17, 2021
hello i would appreciate if you can share me the guide also. here's my email balogunidris74@gmail.com thanks in anticipation
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 5:34am On Jan 18, 2021
We planted around April 2020 and looking to start harvesting around Apr 2021
Nezzjnr:
Joyoftheearth what month did you start planting and was your harvest a uniform harvest??
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 5:40am On Jan 18, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Ohhhhh

I guess there was rainfall during April ryt??

Expecting a Uniform Harvest??

I also Need your plug from where you got your suckers from and how much is it

Thanks and Happy new week sir
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 5:59am On Jan 21, 2021
Yes, there was rainfall but I am not yet sure of uniform harvest. Try to find good source of suckers near you so as to keep things fresh. wink
Nezzjnr:

Ohhhhh

I guess there was rainfall during April ryt??

Expecting a Uniform Harvest??

I also Need your plug from where you got your suckers from and how much is it

Thanks and Happy new week sir
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 6:04am On Jan 21, 2021
Update:

We interplanted about 40 acres of the plantain farm with maize but only about 15 acres survived. The dry maize will be ready for harvest in a week. The plantains are already fruiting but will most likely be mature and ready for harvest around Apr - May.

Workers for this year planting season are yet to arrive.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 6:17am On Jan 21, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Yes, there was rainfall but I am not yet sure of uniform harvest. Try to find good source of suckers near you so as to keep things fresh. wink
I'm looking at getting that Tissue culture sucker from Lesgup... I hope it's the Giant elephant own though

How will you give nutrients to the emerging sucker from the mother plant and as at when due should they be given nutrient... I intend leaving one sucker per plant for fast growth.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 6:17am On Jan 21, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Update:

We interplanted about 40 acres of the plantain farm with maize but only about 15 acres survived. The dry maize will be ready for harvest in a week. The plantains are already fruiting but will most likely be mature and ready for harvest around Apr - May.

Workers for this year planting season are yet to arrive.
Wow

I guess the maize died off due to unavailability of water

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 6:42am On Jan 28, 2021
Our workers have arrived on the farm ready to get started for the planting season.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by chiste1: 3:56pm On Jan 28, 2021
This is a very informative thread, especially for newbies in the agriculture sector like me.
I can see "acres" being mentioned, then I ask myself,...what can I achieve on my two and half plot in Mowe that I intend to start farming...hmm sad
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 5:53pm On Jan 28, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Our workers have arrived on the farm ready to get started for the planting season.
You're expanding from more than your previous 80 acres ryt

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 8:41pm On Jan 28, 2021
You can always start from that. Maybe vegetable or crops that you can get good advice on.
chiste1:
This is a very informative thread, especially for newbies in the agriculture sector like me.
I can see "acres" being mentioned, then I ask myself,...what can I achieve on my two and half plot in Mowe that I intend to start farming...hmm sad
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by chiste1: 8:40am On Jan 29, 2021
joyoftheearth:
You can always start from that. Maybe vegetable or crops that you can get good advice on.

Thanks alot.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 9:13am On Jan 30, 2021
joyoftheearth:
Good morning Boss

Do you know the variety of plantain that all these processing companies go for.

It'll be better selling there than giving to all these markets like Mile12 and the rest.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Legalcriminal: 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2021
joyoftheearth:

Hello I’ve been following your post and I’m glad to say I’m impressed with what I saw here. I want to go into plantation farming but I need you to hint me about that. Please quote me or send me a mail thanks in advance
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:54pm On Jan 30, 2021
You can always ask any question on this thread and willing to share for benefit of the group.
Legalcriminal:

Hello I’ve been following your post and I’m glad to say I’m impressed with what I saw here. I want to go into plantation farming but I need you to hint me about that. Please quote me or send me a mail thanks in advance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Like To Start Poultry Feed Business / Obiano Flags Off 2017 Farming Season As Farmers Display Produce (photos) / Optimum Quality Crayfish, Best Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.