Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,850 members, 7,802,726 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit (17536 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Cost And Returns Of Broiler Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Legalcriminal: 7:37am On Jan 31, 2021
joyoftheearth:
You can always ask any question on this thread and willing to share for benefit of the group.

When is the best time to start the banana plantation this year and what verity would you advise to go for
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 5:45am On Feb 01, 2021
I will say middle of raining season in order to harvest during scarcity. For large farms, earlier than that.
Legalcriminal:

When is the best time to start the banana plantation this year and what verity would you advise to go for
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 7:30pm On Feb 03, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Good morning Boss

Do you know the variety of plantain that all these processing companies go for.

It'll be better selling there than giving to all these markets like Mile12 and the rest.

Bro, if you don't have over 10,000 plantain trees in your farm, they won't attend to you.
I have spoken with two FCMG's who seemed interested but when they asked how many bunches i could supply on a daily, they told me to expand my farm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 7:39pm On Feb 03, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

Bro, if you don't have over 10,000 plantain trees in your farm, they won't attend to you.
I have spoken with two FCMG's who seemed interested but when they asked how many bunches i could supply on a daily, they told me to expand my farm.
I intend having more than that

I was in touch with some processing companies

They said they buy at a larger bulk

Sometimes 500 dozens daily
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Precy102: 11:41am On Feb 07, 2021
Please where can one get constant Plaintain supply in large quantity. Say 3/4 times weekly.

I'll come down myself to buy.
Suggestions please �
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by safarifarms(m): 12:47pm On Feb 07, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

If your harvest come in between March till August. You'll be smiling to the bank steady.
Which particular month usually has the highest price and when is the best time to plant to target this period.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 1:03pm On Feb 07, 2021
safarifarms:

Which particular month usually has the highest price and when is the best time to plant to target this period.

I'm not an expert, so don't quote me.
I can't really lay emphasis on a particular month as my sales cut across (April - August). I made more money these 5months than other months of the year.
Even as at now, 1 dozen (big bunches) is selling for 11k at a local market. Cheap right? Now, imagine how much the market price would be in 2months time at large markets like Mile12.
If you target April - July planting season with good suckers, by February next year, you should be harvesting your plantain. My first harvest was just 9months after planting. I bought & planted local suckers from a farmer nearby my hometown (with the help of my Dad).
Here's something i just learned, chicken droplets can serve as fertilizers to aid their growth. Also, while they are growing, many suckers tend to sprout from their roots, you can uproot like 3 suckers to free up space for the parent tree.
November to February is usually very dry ( little or no rainfall) you can get a pumping machine to water their roots at least twice a week.
Note, plantain are very susceptible to heavy wind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 1:09pm On Feb 07, 2021
Nezzjnr:

I intend having more than that

I was in touch with some processing companies

They said they buy at a larger bulk

Sometimes 500 dozens daily

That's really nice.
500dozens daily is not a child's play grin
Your farm must be really big . You can also explore the avenue of buying from the local farmers, in their community & their neighboring community.
I hope you are paying close attention to Joy of the earth techniques about setting aside trees during cultivation. Plantain is very susceptible to heavy wind.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 1:16pm On Feb 07, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

That's really nice.
500dozens daily is not a child's play grin
Your farm must be really big . You can also explore the avenue of buying from the local farmers, in their community & their neighboring community.
I hope you are paying close attention to Joy of the earth techniques about setting aside trees during cultivation. Plantain is very susceptible to heavy wind.
I have been a great follower of his thread

I have also undergone some Trainings both online and Offline.

You people have really been a blessing

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 07, 2021
Precy102:
Please where can one get constant Plaintain supply in large quantity. Say 3/4 times weekly.

Suggestions please �

Chief, i can see that you're trying to send me a mail. I didn't get anything, it's blank.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Precy102: 2:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

Chief, i can see that you're trying to send me a mail. I didn't get anything, it's blank.

Sorry about that.

I wanted to seek your suggestion on the question i asked here.

Can you be of help?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by OJURONGBE1(m): 4:20pm On Feb 07, 2021
Precy102:

Sorry about that.

I wanted to seek your suggestion on the question i asked here.

Can you be of help?

Most of the farmers in my town have a middleman/ buyer they sell to, while others take their produce directly to the market .
I will ask around for you but your negotiation would have to better those they sell to. You dig?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Precy102: 4:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

Most of the farmers in my town have a middleman/ buyer they sell to, while others take their produce directly to the market .
I will ask around for you but your negotiation would have to better those they sell to. You dig?

Yes, i understand.
I'll be expecting to hear from you.

Thank you so much.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by safarifarms(m): 9:07pm On Feb 07, 2021
OJURONGBE1:

I can't really lay emphasis on a particular month as my sales cut across (April - August). I made more money these 5months than other months of the year.
Even as at now, 1 dozen (big bunches) is selling for 11k at a local market. Cheap right? Now, imagine how much the market price would be in 2months time at large markets like Mile12.
If you target April - July planting season with good suckers, by February next year, you should be harvesting your plantain. My first harvest was just 9months after planting. I bought & planted local suckers from a farmer nearby my hometown (with the help of my Dad).
Here's something i just learned, chicken droplets can serve as fertilizers to aid their growth. Also, while they are growing, many suckers tend to sprout from their roots, you can uproot like 3 suckers to free up space for the parent tree.
November to February is usually very dry ( little or no rainfall) you can get a pumping machine to water their roots at least twice a week.
Thanks
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:27pm On Feb 07, 2021
We currently have 80 acres of plantain ready to harvest soon. We also plan to expand to 3x this year. Reach out via mail to discuss how we can help supply the quantity that you need.
Precy102:

Suggestions please �
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 10:34pm On Feb 07, 2021
That chicken manure is very good for plantain. Mulching and cutting down extra suckers so that parent can get all the nutrient helps fasten growth.
OJURONGBE1:

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Precy102: 8:10am On Feb 08, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We currently have 80 acres of plantain ready to harvest soon. We also plan to expand to 3x this year. Reach out via mail to discuss how we can help supply the quantity that you need.

Alright, noted.
Let me send you a private message.

Thank you.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 8:06am On Feb 15, 2021
We have only seen 1/3 of expected workers arrive and it is about 2wks late now due to herdsmen security issue. The ones we have are doing their best but we hope things get better and we are able to secure all needed workers.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 8:35am On Feb 15, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We have only seen 1/3 of expected workers arrive and it is about 2wks late now due to herdsmen security issue. The ones we have are doing their best but we hope things get better and we are able to secure all needed workers.
How many workers do you think will be okay for 80 acres plantain Farm
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 11:32pm On Feb 15, 2021
We contracted about 20 workers at a given time. These new workers for expansion
Nezzjnr:

How many workers do you think will be okay for 80 acres plantain Farm
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 8:47am On Feb 16, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We contracted about 20 workers at a given time. These new workers for expansion

You are expanding to times 3 of the 80 acres ryt

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 5:52pm On Feb 22, 2021
We only got additional 2 long term workers because of the herdsmen issue going on. Hopefully more trickle in but the contingency plan is to get temp workers at higher cost angry to complement the currently available workers.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 6:14pm On Mar 16, 2021
With incoming planting season, we are still operating with 33% of expected workers due to insecurity.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by joyoftheearth: 7:52pm On Mar 30, 2021
We are close to finishing a section of the farm and getting ready for planting. I got a report that about 30 or so plantains were damaged by storm. Well, the good news is we will start harvesting soon.
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Nezzjnr: 10:23pm On Mar 30, 2021
joyoftheearth:
We are close to finishing a section of the farm and getting ready for planting. I got a report that about 30 or so plantains were damaged by storm. Well, the good news is we will start harvesting soon.
Welcome back boss

So sorry about that
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Sirpc(m): 3:42pm On Dec 02, 2021
Emempaul:

Neva plant cassava with Plantain. they don't cooperate together because cassava is a heavy feeder, it will stint the plantain growth

best crop to intercrop with Plantain
at early growth stage:- corn, tomatoes, pepper and veggies in general
canopy stage:- cocoyam and to an extent shoko nothing else

Pls, can Peneaple be planted in between the plantains
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Emempaul(m): 9:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
Sirpc:

Pls, can Peneaple be planted in between the plantains

Yes it can
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by Sirpc(m): 7:06am On Dec 03, 2021
Emempaul:

Yes it can

Thank u
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by steveyen(m): 7:27am On Jan 04, 2022
Hi everyone.

I have two acres of Plantain/Pineapple/ Oil Palm

The plantain leaves are beginning to go yellow and drying. The expert I contacted said I should weed the farm and apply fertiliser.

Please is it advisable to apply fertiliser during this dry season since no rain again ? Or do I need to irrigate the farm ?
Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by todto: 12:59am On Jan 06, 2022
steveyen:
Hi everyone.

I have two acres of Plantain/Pineapple/ Oil Palm

The plantain leaves are beginning to go yellow and drying. The expert I contacted said I should weed the farm and apply fertiliser.

Please is it advisable to apply fertiliser during this dry season since no rain again ? Or do I need to irrigate the farm ?
it is irrigation that u need bro, And again don't weed for now as those grasses helps in mulching so that water will not be lost through evaporation. weed only during rainy season and apply fertilizer only then.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by steveyen(m): 5:40pm On Jan 06, 2022
todto:

it is irrigation that u need bro, And again don't weed for now as those grasses helps in mulching so that water will not be lost through evaporation. weed only during rainy season and apply fertilizer only then.

Thank you so much. Appreciate the advice. I attached the pics

Re: My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit by MigeoFoods(f): 3:47am On Jan 07, 2022
Can you supply me plantain? Where is your location?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Like To Start Poultry Feed Business / Obiano Flags Off 2017 Farming Season As Farmers Display Produce (photos) / Optimum Quality Crayfish, Best Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.