Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,476 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home (1486 Views)

Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met / Parents How Will You Feel If You Come Back Home & Meet Your Children Like This? / My Fellow Married Women And Mothers, How Do You Deal With A Husband Like Mine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by jeff1607(m): 12:08pm On Apr 12, 2020
Imagine you got kids and just one of them is doing things just the way you like and somehow or most times attention goes to that child leaving the rest feeling unloved. How do you remedy this?

kindly share
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by xcabczyxabczzzz: 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
How do you normally show love to him that you can't easily extend it to the other children? Give an example.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Makavelli25: 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
I park here
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by donbachi(m): 12:17pm On Apr 12, 2020
Joint heirs
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Ahmed0336(m): 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2020
It will be terrible for a parent to make such huge mistake. If you allow the other kids to grow with hate in their heart eh, you as a parent your own don finish....
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Nobody: 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2020
I am not a father yet but the germane fact is parents tend to give preference to a child mostly at the detriment of others.

Our parents all have that child that they hold in high esteem maybe because of resemblance to either of them, intelligence, et’ll. The best way is to do this secretly n not in a way that the siblings will have a bad impression of their parents. Dad loves our eldest sister basically because she’s in medicine and she is apparently the most brilliant of all.

5 Likes

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Tpave(m): 12:22pm On Apr 12, 2020
Pls don't try this at home

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by neonly: 12:24pm On Apr 12, 2020
Try and show d same love but in yur heart you know yur favourite
I cant come and divide my children from childhood

5 Likes

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Fdex012: 12:25pm On Apr 12, 2020
To all Christ believers in the house as we all knows the fasting has ended and celebration follow because our Lord has risen today. Please your assistance is needed, I don't have food to eat as im typing this message and no hope anywhere because covid-19 has made me stranded....
If you think you're Worthy of giving to the less privilege at this difficult time please do so in the name of God
Gtbank 0036230283 Oke O. Ezekiel
Nothing is little thanks

No abuse
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by merieam16(f): 12:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
lemme learn too
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Donald3d(m): 1:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
grin
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by AngryIgboMan: 1:36pm On Apr 12, 2020
Till date, my siblings hate me because of this. I was our parents favourite.

Please don't try this in your home now or in the future!

1 Like

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by frozen70(f): 1:39pm On Apr 12, 2020
jeff1607:
Imagine you got kids and just one of them is doing things just the way you like and somehow or most times attention goes to that child leaving the rest feeling unloved. How do you remedy this?

kindly share

Every child is unique on his own way

Don't show love to a particular child among the children

You can use the good child to teach the bad ones
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Amanee(f): 2:24pm On Apr 12, 2020
As I'm not a parent yet, I'm here to learn
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by jesmond3945: 3:19pm On Apr 12, 2020
i love all equally. if you show favouritism then you are a bad parent.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by jeff1607(m): 3:26pm On Apr 12, 2020
frozen70:

Every child is unique on his own way

Don't show love to a particular child among the children

You can use the good child to teach the bad ones

your last sentence i.e using one child to correct or teach the other, isn't that kinda bad?

2 Likes

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
there is a huge difference between giving attention to a child and loving that child more than the others. just because you spend more time developing a child's quality/characteristic (that other kids may not have) then that doesnt mean you love the others any less.

so long as you can sit down and explain that to your kids, its all good!
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by frozen70(f): 3:38pm On Apr 12, 2020
jeff1607:

your last sentence i.e using one child to correct or teach the other, isn't that kinda bad?

You got me wrong there

Assuming you have a child that does it right all the time

Tell other children to emulate from that child and also ask that child to put them through under your supervision

As a mother that stays at home, you make use of the well behave child to teach the naughty ones, so thst they too can emulate
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by jeff1607(m): 3:45pm On Apr 12, 2020
frozen70:

You got me wrong there

Tell other children to emulate from that child and also ask that child to put them through under your supervision

As a mother that stays at home, you make use of the well behave child to teach the naughty ones, so thst they too can emulate

say for instance the "good" child is younger than the "bad" child the eldest

what sayest thou?

1 Like

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by lanibi(f): 3:49pm On Apr 12, 2020
I believe my parents will have a favorite among us but I thank God for their wisdom, they have never given any impression that they like one child than others.

No matter how much I think about it, I can't just fathom who they love most.

2 Likes

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by frozen70(f): 3:49pm On Apr 12, 2020
jeff1607:

say for instance the "good" child is younger than the "bad" child the eldest

what sayest thou?

That's a good question,
where were you when the senior one was turning to a nuisance
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Nekky5(f): 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2020
They all came through one channel. Love them equally and draw the best out from them all.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by veave(f): 8:30pm On Apr 12, 2020

Don't compare and contrast any child to another by saying things like, can't you see John? Why can't you behave like joy? Etc. Give equal attention to each child and try to find out why a child behaves the way he or she does. Besides is "doing all you want" and "pleasing you" the best option for that particular child?

Learn to listen to your kids more.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Ame2368: 9:16pm On Apr 12, 2020
Stop the atitude of comparing one to the other they are both absolutely different.....d more u use dat kind of word d more the child grow worst and worst.....because that clearly defined that u love one ....y the other one isnt love....And try to put they together advice dem and lead dem through the world of God......u will see all will definately go well
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by SweetCunt97(f): 9:45pm On Apr 12, 2020
frozen70:

You got me wrong there

That may sow d seed of envy.. Remember Joseph in d Bible
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by scoundrel(f): 6:56am On Apr 13, 2020
As human beings favouritism is inevitable. As one poster mentioned each child is unique, so a parent should focus more on those unique aspects. There is no way the other children are write-offs save the favoured one. Don't also forget each parent has their favourite which the other may look down on. There are too many variables attached to such a case that I will advice a one child policy to those not mature enough to handle such a situation. Even at that some parents will prefer siblings' children to their own child. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by missimelda01(f): 8:43am On Apr 13, 2020
I'm not a parent yet but I think when you realize that your children are normal humans with strength and weaknesses then it's easier to give them equal love, you only have a favourite when you've blinded your eyes to his/her flaws and don't do the same for the rest.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by sweetmelanin(f): 8:49am On Apr 13, 2020
Lots of parents are guilty of this and it's wrong.

I also hate the system of "egbon" where a child is given special privileges over his siblings especially when the age gap is just 2 or 3 years. It's barbaric and a quick way to breed hatred and resentment in the hearts of the younger ones towards the eldest (I noticed this happens mainly between boys tho).

3 Likes

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Nikkygold4life(f): 9:34am On Apr 13, 2020
I'm a proud patent of two boys, my first, though, intelligent, has challenges with reading and writing fast, he is mostly the last to finish copying notes and questions during class work while my second do things at the speed of light, very smart and intelligent, while the first struggles with learning despite being intelligent, the second is a straight A kid, but let me shock you, I love them both very much, I can't even describe it, I don't have a favorite.

I know both of their strengths and weaknesses and I've been able to harness these to my own advantage can have rest in future. For instance, my first is very hard working for his age 8 yrs, while the other is a little lazy but I've been able to make him mentor his big brother, he now does little and I also encourage the younger to read books with his brother in order to improve his reading and they are both cool about it. Now they do house chores together without complain.

Every good parent know that it is evil to have favourite among children, it's witchcraft.

1 Like

Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by thorpido(m): 10:34am On Apr 13, 2020
Raising children is a conscious thing and not an emotional thing.You have to be intentional with each child.
Children have strengths and weaknesses and you need to harness each child's strength through wisdom.
Consciously give attention to each child especially in developing their strengths and improving their weaknesses.Treat each child as unique.Give them equal chores to do and also when giving gifts,try to be equal.
You must avoid actions that can breed envy.Don't spend all your time on that brilliant child alone.
Ask God for wisdom cause you'll need it.
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by jeff1607(m): 11:22am On Apr 13, 2020
Nikkygold4life:
I'm a proud patent of two boys, my first, though, intelligent, has challenges with reading and writing fast, he is mostly the last to finish copying notes and questions during class work while my second do things at the speed of light, very smart and intelligent, while the first struggles with learning despite being intelligent, the second is a straight A kid, but let me shock you, I love them both very much, I can't even describe it, I don't have a favorite.

I know both of their strengths and weaknesses and I've been able to harness these to my own advantage can have rest in future. For instance, my first is very hard working for his age 8 yrs, while the other is a little lazy but I've been able to make him mentor his big brother, he now does little and I also encourage the younger to read books with his brother in order to improve his reading and they are both cool about it. Now they do house chores together without complain.

Every good parent know that it is evil to have favourite among children, it's witchcraft.

can you please describe the feeling you get when you see your boys helping each other out or what comes to your mind
Re: Parents How Do You Deal With Child Favoritism In The Home by Nikkygold4life(f): 6:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
jeff1607:

can you please describe the feeling you get when you see your boys helping each other out or what comes to your mind

I was very deliberate in the type of training and guidance so I feel fulfilled that I'm raising emotionally balanced children, I'm even surprised at the results. They are still growing so researching about parenting and understanding individual differences is crucial in raising children that will grow to love themselves for who they are.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Facebook Influencer Gifts Mum 59,000 Naira Money Cake To Celebrate Her 59th Birt / What Are The Benefits Of Marriage As A Man / Which City In Nigeria Now Can One Raise Decent Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.