Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,863 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over (483 Views)

My Memories Of The Pandemic By Danny Walker / The Pandemic / 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 12, 2020
ARTICLE !!!

3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over - Written By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli

First of all, I'd like to wish you all a very Happy Easter celebration.

Even though we're caught right in the middle of a pandemic and a lockdown, we still have to find a way (no matter how small), to celebrate.

Speaking of the pandemic and the lockdown, what did we learn from this experience?

Yeah, so many people complained that it got rough (financially), and many complained that they could barely eat. Why so? Does a lockdown necessarily equate to being broke?

The answer could be YES and NO.

I say yes because in a critical situation such as this, if you're not financially set up, then you'd most likely suffer some form of hardship.

On the other hand, I'll say no because if your finances are on point, then you'd still eat and live like a king (or queen) during the stay-at-home period.

Once again, what can we learn from this experience?

In my opinion, I think the number one lesson to be learnt here is to be financially fit. And when I say "financially fit", I don't mean having money to buy a Benz & designer clothes, I mean having access to a decent amount of money that can cater to your basic, daily needs!

Hopefully this situation would come to an end, and when it does, there are a few financially important things you MUST DO, to avoid or reduce hardship if such a situation arises again.

Read on!

1. Get A F**king Job

As an adult, a sure way to stay broke is if you don't have a source of income. Yes I know, it's hard to get a job with these big corporate organizations, but must you work there?

If the big boys aren't hiring, then go with the smaller businesses. If they also aren't hiring, then you have no option but to hire yourself!

Self employment will always be a viable choice. There are so many offline and online businesses you could start with very little capital.

What are your skills? Why not turn them into a professional service and make some money off it.

Let me give you a simple example - I have a friend, he sells industrial generators, he doesn't have a shop or office, he doesn't even own any of the generators he sells, he has an android phone, he goes to ilasa market in Lagos (a popular market for spare parts and industrial generators) to meet the owners of the generators, he uses his android phone to take pictures of the generators, he posts them across his social media pages and trade forums, he leaves his phone number, buyers call, he makes a sale, he earns a commission.

I've seen this guy make as much as N250,000 from one sale!

So what capital did he start the business with? An Android phone, some data, some transport money. He has bought his own car by the way.

I don't know what your skills are but you've got to do something. It's not enough to wake up early in the morning and all you do is smoke igbo, then you'll now complain that Corona virus and the lockdown has made life hard. Abeg joor, your life dey hard already!

Earning a little is better than not earning at all. And as you earn, make sure you save (which takes me to my next point)

2. Always Save Money

Little drops of water will eventually fill up a bucket. No matter how small you earn, It would be wise not to spend it all.

Save some for the rainy day. Nobody saw this situation coming, it was like a kick in the b*lls for those who didn't have a dime on them.

When the lockdown was announced, I was so glad I had some money saved. With that, I stocked up my home and I took care of some other things around the house.

Not that I had all the money in the world, but what to eat or drink wasn't a problem.

Keep this in mind, even if you've saved $100,000,000 million, if you keep spending it without any inflow, the money will eventually finish. Which takes me to my next point -

3. Be Able To Earn Money Remotely

The lockdown made me appreciate my job a billion times more than I ever did. For those who don't know, I create media content for a living and I was able to work and earn from home while wearing just my boxers.

There were one or two situations where I had over-used my savings and I started running low on cash, but then my phone rings or I receive a message. It's a client asking me to do this or that for him and just like that, money don enter my account!

For my clients, I wrote so many articles, I recorded podcasts, I did a few voiceovers, I sold e-books, and I developed their web and social media content. The funny thing is, all the people I worked for during the lockdown period are people who I've never met in my life. They made payments via online bank transfers, I did their jobs, and submitted via WhatsApp or E-mail. Simple!

I don't know the nature of your business, but if you can earn money even when you're not in your shop or office then you can survive a lockdown.

Let me give you another example - The barber in my neighborhood sent out a WhatsApp broadcast message to all the customers on his list and offered to go house to house if they needed haircuts. Better than having your shop locked and not earning a dime right?

I also have a friend, a teacher, who upon hearing about the two-week lockdown created a WhatsApp group where he would teach and prepare his students for the upcoming WAEC exams. He didn't have to be in class physically, but he still got paid.

Like I said before, I don't know the nature of your business, but if you can figure out a way to pass accross your goods and services, and earn from it without having to be at a shop or office, then you can survive and thrive during a lockdown.

Conclusion

The cries of the masses were loud and bitter, the experience wasn't pretty at all. However, there are lessons to be learnt from every experience. As far as finances are concerned, these three key-points I stated above could be the difference between eating a decent meal and begging for one in times like these!

Not that we pray for another pandemic or lockdown, but wouldn't you like to be financially prepared if something of this nature occurs again?

Stay safe & hustle hard!

This article was written by Amechi "Double-Six" Okoli
For -
DOUBLE-SIX MEDIA SERVICES (Content Creation At Its Best)
WhatsApp - [url]/+2348033422206[/url]
Re: 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 13, 2020
WhatsApp 08033422206
Re: 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 14, 2020
Let's discuss your next project!
Re: 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 15, 2020
Whatsapp [url]/+2348033422206[/url]
Re: 3 Financially Important Things You Must Do After The Pandemic Is Over by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 20, 2020
[url]/+2348033422206[/url]

(1) (Reply)

Story; Arike's Diary - Profbola [episode 5] / The Big Night! / Depressing Story Of An Identical Twin Who Died Days Apart For Each.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.