Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

My Encounter With Kate - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Encounter With Kate (7155 Views)

My Encounter With A Ghost / Encounter With The Witch / How An Encounter With A Marijuana Smoker Helped Solved My Problem- Johnspeak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 7:21am On Jun 12, 2020
Deleman234:
I am enjoying your story bro is really interesting but l think you should let readers know when you will update if possible wink wink wink

Thanks, I will be posting two episodes later today
Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 7:35am On Jun 12, 2020
EPISODE FOURTEEN

I just sat ignoring those that were discussing about the the upcoming comedy night program, some taunted their peers on the fiasco of performance displayed so far.

I kept wondering what sort of girl Kate was, maybe she had lost a family member and was in a mourning state and needed time to be alone, maybe she was the type of girl who was warned to keep off the vices and immorality in camp, perhaps she was determined to end up a Reverend sister or pursuing Sainthood.

I also observed that nothing seemed to amuse and interest her, When I tried to be funny she gave a straight face, when i talked about fashion and entertainment, she gave an expressionless look and when i asked about her aspirations she spoke of getting a modest job at Calabar and she explained she was currently a fashion designer.

The word "unserious" and "joker" kept ringing in my head. I couldn't fathom the basis, maybe that was Kate strategy of discouraging me from pressing further and if that was, it was extreme.

I took my pen thinking on how i would make her see how i feel about her, a part of me kept telling me that Kate must have been a victim of rape or was an incurable feminist clouded with a narrow-minded negative orientation on the opposite sex.

I also wanted to prove a point to Ada as quick as possible, i had no feelings for Ada my mind was now on Kate and i wasn't ready to back off.

I tore the few lines i wrote on how i would present my self as a more descent person and probably preached the gospel, but that was just a means to the end.

Mr Friday, Platoon One commander made it clear the particular height of people he wanted to be participants and unlucky for me i was far from that range.

I felt bad because i enjoyed the marching exercise, i wanted to be a part and because the basis for selecting participants was not logical; he would say in his baritone voice
" _tall people no get sense_ " which always infuriated me and because I was the first person to be used to validate that fallacy because i had misinterpreted a command; turned left instead of right while admiring Kate buxom.

I found a hidden arena where I could stay out of sight of the soldiers that guarded a boarder where no one could cross once it was 4pm for an hour in lieu of standing in the scorching sun to applaud my peers who were selected for the forthcoming marching competition.

Maureen had seen when i left the parade ground the first day before four O'clock clock when she trailed me, i explained the motive for my actions, that was when she became my partner in crime and coincidentally she wasn't picked not because of her height but because of her excessive blunders.

No sooner had i arrived, when the rumpling of dried leaves caught my attention, it was Maureen who walked gently to avoid being caught....

Me: "you were late today"

Maureen: "My purse was missing"

Me: "Hope you have found it"

Maureen: "yes, it was beneath my matrass"

Maureen pulled a plastic chair with bird dropping and took time to clean it, at the end she gave a sigh of relief.

Maureen: "What book is that?"

Me: "Never mind"

Maureen: ***silence for a while**** "Osaz that isn't cool o, aren't we on good terms? why that nasty response "

Me: "Think big by Ben Carson"

Maureen: " I look forward to reading it someday"

Me: "It not mine, i borrowed it from a friend"

Maureen: "okay"

Me: ***closes the book***
"Maureen i wanna discuss something serious with you and i really need you to be logical and truthful"

Maureen: "About what?"

Me: "Kate"

Maureen: "thought as much"

Me: "Maureen please listen, there is a problem on ground, i really love Kate and despite all my efforts she seem not to notice me and I am afraid of not winning her heart, i am out of idea, i am confused and don't know what to do, i really love Kate and i can't hide it anymore, please advise me o."

Maureen: "This is serious o, What efforts have you tried and when did this love get to this extent, hope it is not your lust on that her big breasts ? ** breasts enclosed in her hands **

Me: "I have spoken to her about my feelings, yet she sees me as an unserious fellow, like someone who has a devilish motive, sometimes i am scared of coming close to her but i need to be brave, it started the first day i set my eyes on saw her."

Maureen: ** Pulled her chair closer to mine and gently slipped the book from my hands** "I see you really need help, it is good you spoke fast, from my view, i think still is a normal thing, Kate is still observing you, i am a girl and understand her actions, probably she doesn't want anyone to use and dumb her, secondly you have to be patient, maybe she probably could be playing hard to get, but the good thing is that you have me and i would be your coach and adviser, remember two heads are better than one"

Me: "wow, you are so smart"

Maureen : "lest i forget, do not mumble or smile abruptly around her, always be calm but bold, never mumble, speak expressly"

Me: "I really appreciate you"

Maureen: "we go for dinner?"

Me: ** laughs** "alright"

The whistle sounds signalled the end of the evening parade and the commencement of extracurricular activities. I was on my way to find Kate amongst the crowd when Kunle voice caught my attention, Omolara sat on his laps while she smile occasionally to whatever was amusing her.

They had found a hidden sojourn beside an abandoned Volkswagen in lieu of going for parade. Kunle hid his erection, Maureen didn't come close, she waited impatiently.

Me: "Hi Kunle, hi Lara"

Kunle: "Hi Osaz"

Me: "On my way to the field, i wanna watch the football team practice.

Kunle: "I am also about to practice with the girls"

Me: "Cool then, we will see in the evening, Omolara take care of yourself"

Lara: "alright"

I held Maureen hands and apologized for the short delay, she insisted we go to watch the volleyball ball team instead of football that we had agreed earlier , it was my punishment for keeping her waiting and i was forced to obey because she was my new instructor.

2 Likes

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 7:47am On Jun 12, 2020
EPISODE FIFTEEN

A crescent moon appeared in the sky, from distance i could see sparkles of light beautifully set on canopies, i manoeuvred amongst people so as my cloth wouldn't be stained.

I could hear my heart pounding my chest at a fast rate, its been been a long time i have been trapped by the sort of anxiety.

I hadn't any plan on what i would tell Kate but i was optimistic the date was going to be successful and was determined i would be able express myself without fear.

My phone was ringing, it was Kunle Felix, I was nervous and i wasn't in the mood to pick the call, I eventually silenced my phone.

I moved to the pavilion when power supply was restored, it was already 7:35pm, few people were beginning to troop in, in due time the comedy competition would begin, i folded my fingers around my biceps and i could feel goose bumps on my skin.

I fixed in my earpiece to my ears in order to listen to music to reduce the anxiety, i remembered the song i always listened to whenever i was tensed ("I am not afraid by Eminem), i felt relaxed buy not completely.

After listening to the song three times, i went to get two comfortable seats, i placed them few distance where Kate and her friends usually sat, i sat on one and kept the other by my side, i checked my wrist watch and it was few minutes to eight, everywhere was gradually becoming filled, i wiped my sweaty face and was on alert on any female i set my eyes on hoping to find Kate.

Alas Uddy arrived, she seemed happy, her hands was all over Yusuf's, she chatted with him and played around before they sat, my heart leaped for joy because i was certain Kate would arrive soon.

The speakers were being placed at strategic positions and the stage were orderly set with decorations and inscriptions describing the programme at hand.

I just sat with my chin cupped in my palm, Uddy and Yusuf frolicked, they were having mad fun, the event began and Kate was absent, I had a feeling she was somewhere in the crowd looking at me but that immediately seemed wrong because i observed Kate was obsessed with activities and always want to sit in front, another thing i thought was that Kate was putting me to a test probably watching me from somewhere amongst the crowd validating my claim of love.

I wanted to approach Uddy to enquire but i resisted, i guessed the Priest arrived late but a Catholic Corper was visible.

Out of impatience i went to approach Uddy......

Me: "Hello Uddy"

Uddy: " hey Osaz, how are you?

Me: "doing great o, Yusuf how far? "

Yusuf: "Fine o" ** in Hausa tone**

Me: "Why is Kate not here?"

Uddy: "I just called her, she is on her way"

Me: "OK, thanks, please inform her that i reserved a seat for her there" ** point finger***

Uddy: ** coughs indistinctly** "OK i will"

I thought of many things when i saw Maureen, most especially i was bothered that Kate would notice our closeness, be jealous and rebuke me.

Maureen sat on the seat i reserved for Kate...

Me: "welcome"

Maureen: ** steer for a while** "why are you looking so clean and fine this night? I think i know why"

Me: "clean ke? It's just a new hair cut"

Maureen: ** "nice scent you have got, you have an appointment with Kate?"

Me: ** smiles** "Yes o, please where you're seated is reserved for her"

Maureen: "then get me another"

Me: ** reluctant for a while** "it because you are my Coach o"

After searching thoroughly for one, i got back and Kate wasn't still around, Maureen sat directly behind me, she vowed to listen secretly to our conversation, her cap half covered her face, i was against it but i reluctantly permitted her since she promised it was for my good.

Alas Kate walked in gallantly and went to meet Uddy, i saw Uddy pointing to my direction, i pretended no to see her and was pressing my phone. Kate came to join me, she looked very happy, her make up was beautiful, i was happy because the signs were going, she held unto my hand, her hands were cold, Kate apologized for coming late..........

Me: "it's nothing, what kept you? "

Kate: "i had some personal things to deal with"

Me: "oh, i thought you forgot about the date"

Kate: "At all"

Me: "What would you like to eat and drink?"

Kate: "don't bother, i am very fine"

Me: ** trembling** "OK dear, i really anticipated this moment"

Kate: "why?"

Me: "it's just so joyous, the comedians are really exceptional and i have you by my side, a good combination "

Kate: "Osaz i don't really like this place we are seated "

Me: "why dear?"

Kate: " I hardly see the comedians, you aren't having this challenge because you are tall"

Me: "OK, where do we go?"

Kate: ** moves her seat behind Uddy's **

I looked at Maureen and her expression was bland, Kate beckoned me to come over, i was sad because i wouldn't be free to discuss much and also she could abandon me for Uddy....

Kate: "Osaz, this is better, i have a clear view"

Me: ** nodded**

Kate was just engrossed and laughed occasionally, she occasionally talked, i was feeling so inconvenient because we were directly behind a speaker, i felt she deliberately planned it, i wondered how she was convenient there, most times i was alone to myself.

I went far at times because i couldn't bear the noise coming from the speaker, Kate kept laughing at every joke cracked and sometimes she would lost control and lean on me, it gave me little hope, i loved the feeling of her smooth skin .

I pretended to be fine whereas my eardrums were hurting.

Whenever Kate spoke, i barely hear a word.
On few occasions i left for a while to avoid the noise emitted and whenever Kate asked I gave a flimsy excuse.

When it was unbearable i left and told her something came up and i needed to be in the hostel quickly.

I felt so bad that i rained curses on Kate for her wickedness, i noticed only lips moving and couldn't hear a sound , i had a put water into my ears but there wasn't much improvement especially on the left.

I couldn't go to the clinic because it was already late.

The sound from the speakers kept vibrating in my inner ears, few meters to the hostel, a boy was pointing to the ground in front of me and saying something i didn't hear, i felt it wasn't important all i thought was laying on my bed till the next day. I wasn't in the mood so i ignored him.

In a twinkle of an eye i was flat on the ground, i was too weak to get up, my face was flat in the pool of muddy water, I felt two hands lifted my drenched body, the two boys made signals thinking i was dump.

2 Likes

Re: My Encounter With Kate by ogasharpsharp: 11:27am On Jun 12, 2020
But why don't you like maureen? She obviously likes you. Anyway we die here. I love these kind of stories.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 11:41pm On Jun 13, 2020
ogasharpsharp:
But why don't you like maureen? She obviously likes you. Anyway we die here. I love these kind of stories.

I tried to but there wasn't any connection

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by bekinyaro: 9:43am On Jun 14, 2020
You must find the connection oh!!

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 9:38am On Jun 16, 2020
EPISODE SIXTEEN

"Are you okay?" that was when i knew that my sense of hearing was restored . It seemed i had an unfinished battle with Biodun, he held both of my hands to my back so that the Red Cross officials could do their work seamlessly, i was too weak to struggle.

The smell of iodine and methylated spirit almost made me vomit, i was too weak to go to the clinic, some of my roommates had organized the ad-hoc Red Cross team to examine me, the only reasonable excuse i had formulated was that i didn't see the ditch, i couldn't hear much of my screams, whenever the wool was pressed, I was sure it travelled down the long hall because when i thought i shouted less, all set their eyes on me, I felt i needed to be attended to by an Otolaryngologists instead of the rocky hand Red Cross officials that pressed wool soaked in spirit on bare flesh, I feared of loosing my ability to ear.

Everyone one that saw me enquired the cause of why i was bandaged on my wrist and my head, i had a uniform response ; "it was a slight accident" and i wished i had a way of avoiding people, the enquiries was too much.

That morning i was given a permit to reside in the hostel, it was hard for the Soldiers who came chasing to believe it was an injury, one almost loosen the bandage despite the evidence of the permit, i was eventually rescued by a witness who i could remember pointing to that ditch the previous night

I was glued to the bed for many hours, all i did was to read " _Think big by Ben Carson",_ I realized the cause of the disappearance of bucket of water kept under the bed; persons who stayed back in the hostel took them and left before the rest came back.

It was after the morning parade when I made effort to walk.

Kunle and Biodun advised that i would be doing myself more harm being immobile. After collecting breakfast we sat in circles......

Kunle: "Today is the semi final between my girls platoon four "

Biodun: "How prepared are the girls?

Kunle: "hundred percent, i am sure platoon one is no match"

My phone rang and it was Maureen calling......

Kunle: "it's his new girlfriend"

Me: ** in a cracked tone ** "Hello Maureen"

Maureen : "Hi Osaz, where have you been?"

Me: "i am having little fever, but i am getting better"

Maureen: "will you be out this afternoon"

Me: "probably"

Maureen: "take care of yourself and make sure you rest well"

Me: "Alright dear"

Kunle: "hmmn.... Seems this girl really love you "

Me: "Abeg leave that matter, she is just a nice friend"

Kunle: "see en Omolara really dey do me well o, i would really like to taste her honey pot before leaving this camp"

Biodun: "this is my real nigga, coach indeed, i dey your back "

Me: "Abeg no corrupt me o, i be born again"

Kunle: ** laughs** "Abeg no dey form for here"

Biodun: " so how do you intend to strike"

Kunle : "slow and steady, i will go strategically, and surely hit the jackpot and
sure she is also willing to taste my rod"

Me: "if you encounter any difficulties or you need morale consult me, i will craft something potent"

Me: "can we talk of something more decent instead of planning to destroy someone's duaghter "

Biodun: "Pope no vex"

Kunle: "guys should please come and watch my girls today"

Biodun: "i will definitely come, i wanna watch Omolara"

When that left i recounted all that happened the previous day, how my effort was ruined , how insensitive Kate was. I knew the pain wasn't worth it but i wasn't willing to surrender.

I closed the book and joined the rest still struggling with pains all over my body.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 9:39am On Jun 16, 2020
Hey guys, I will be dropping the next episode tomorrow
Re: My Encounter With Kate by quadri956(m): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2020
saxxyb:
Hey guys, I will be dropping the next episode tomorrow
Can't wait wink

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by chinwezdasilva: 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nice write up osaz

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 8:16pm On Jun 17, 2020
EPISODE SEVENTEEN

Two weeks had passed and camping was coming to an end, it was just a week left. Prior to the orientation camp, i was determined to relocate to back to Lagos but after encountering Biodun, Maureen and most especially Kate, I was indecisive of where i would stay for the observation of my service year.

I had the believe that Kate was destined to be a soul mate and what was needed to fulfill this was sheer determination and discipline and that only a matter of time Kate would realize how deep is have fallen in love with her.

It was difficult raising my hand above my head, i avoided water on my bandaged head, it took me about fourty five minutes to take a bath in spite inconvenient bathroom with spirogyra smeared wall.

I made sure i took my medications before i left, i tried removing the bandages but it could have attracted more attention; the sight was ugly.

I left the room when i was certain the afternoon parade was over, i moved faster than the morning, the the pain was still felt.

The pavilion and it environs was rowdy, almost everyone participated in one activity or the other, dust swirl filled the air, more eyes were glued to the football field than the volleyball court, i watched the boys for few moments, the match was frenetic but the boys on red jersey were the one that absorbed more pressure, majority had tipped the boys cladded on blue to lift the trophy.....

Kunle shouted more often than he gesticulated, one could easily guess his girls were trailing despite having more supporters to cheer them on, i was sure Biodun was amidst the crowd hoping Kunle would loose so as to taunt whenever he wanted to make Kunle angry.

I wiped with an handkerchief the hot liquid that slid from my left ear, it was brownish yellow, I felt a relief, i had spoken to a friend who is a graduate of medicine and worked in the camp clinic about the hearing difficulty, when it was unbearable, he secretly stole a piece of ear drop from the clinic and gave me prescription, i doubted his capabilities, he was fresh and probably would have used my predicament as a means of ascertaining the extent of his accomplishments of his career aspiration.

I could hear more clearly, " _no surrender, no retreat_" was dominant, i joined the few to cheer my platoon girls, we had started to trail, i envied Kunle's platoon turnout, an I prayed we would loose so as to learn from the lesson.

All Omolara digs were accurate, it was obvious she was the marquee amongst the girls, her height was an advantage, whenever she aced, it resulted to a point, many cheers were directed to her, maybe because the way she killed an attack or due to the vibration of her backside whenever she landed, she was the cynosure. I felt a touch and it was Biodun....

Biodun: "I thought you were going to die on that bed, well I saw Ada not too long"

Me: "well i am strong now, and stop telling me anything related to Ada, it is over between us"

Biodun: ** laughs** "why are your girls playing like pregnant women?"

Me: "Don't be too quick to conclude, there are still more rounds, anything is possible, i am sure we would come out victorious"

Biodun: ** points to Kunle ** "with the way that mad man is jumping as if he wants to die, and the motivation that are on the girls, your team is doomed"

Me: "let's watch and see, he who laughs last laughs best "

Kunle was too busy to notice us, when the umpire blew the final whistle many ran to Omolara, i went to join others in congratulating the girls.

I went over to congratulate Kunle, Omolara hugged me, she thanked me and also enquired the reason for my bandaged head, i gave the usual response.

I used spare time to read my WhatsApp messages, Maureen distractions wasn't enough i lied to her that i left Kate the previous night because i forgot lock my bag before i left the hostel, it was obvious Maureen didn't believe me, but she commended me and assured me that the sacrifice would pay someday, she was friendly and she was very hospitable. She handed me a tin of glucose, she said it will give me strength and make me heal faster.

During the evening mass, i deliberately looked away when Kate arrived, when i tried looking, i literally felt the pain intensifying, when she walked the aisle to received communion, i recalled the moments i lifted that chair and still had the voice of the MC in my when he shouted; "Asaya camp are you ready" oscillating within my labyrinth.

I didn't even feel guilty when Maureen walked past Kate holding my hands tight during twilight.

I just had a glance at Kate's face, the look in her eyes told a thousand meaning, her shadow casted on the floor suggested something vague.I couldn't care less.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With Kate by Tridroid(m): 4:55pm On Jun 21, 2020
very interesting can't wait for the next update

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by quadri956(m): 7:47pm On Jun 21, 2020
Op where you cool
we dy wait for update

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 8:43pm On Jun 22, 2020
Sorry readers, have been busy since last week, I promise to drop two updates tomorrow

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 8:57pm On Jun 22, 2020
EPISODE EIGHTEEN

Bats flew in group high in the sky and they made an eerie sound, the evening was cold an windy and it seemed it was about to rain.

Kate knelt on the dried leaves and muttered continuously "i had no intention of hurting you", she was sobbing until i forced her to stand and then made her to understand that i held no grudge against her. I took my handkerchief and wiped her tears, she sobbed and stopped intermittently......

Kate: "I am really sorry, it wasn't deliberate, i wasn't considering your perspective"

Me: "All is fine now, it will be removed soon, at most today, as a matter of fact, i feel no pain, i am still wearing it so as to escape the parade and complete reading this book"

Kate: "this is so kind of you Osaz, you are so compassionate"

Me: "it's nothing dear, the Bible says we should forgive and forget"

Kate: "this is so nice of you come over" ** hugs** "I am sorry for calling you an unserious person and a joker, i just wanted to be safe, i hate short relationship and i am not willing to be used as an instrument of experiment and i was also baffled by your sudden feeling"

Me: "well i see you didn't do wrong, many would have done such, but the truth is that the first time i set my eyes on you i knew that we had something to offer ourselves".

Kate: "it is a possibility, Osaz, one thing i admire about you is that you are bold and you have a good sense of humor"

Me: "thanks, i appreciate, i am just being myself, it's high time we started going, its getting dark"

Kate: " i am willing to make amend for what i caused".......

Me: "what amend again? i said i have forgiven you, it's past"....

Kate grabbed the book from me and threw it to the ground", I had no reason why she did that, her rounded eyeball was still quite wet and it reflected my image, she pulled me closer and planted a kiss on my forehead and we rubbed tongues against each other, I was breathing heavily and I wanted to speak but words weren't coming out, one of my hand ran over her hair while the other was handling with the lobes under her blouse, it became easier to switch hands i when i unhooked the metal with ease the that fastened the ends of the brasserie, I was amazed how quick i was, she knelt and her mouth was beneath my waist, my moans were soft, she was silent, when she pushed me to sit in the chair, my shorts were below my legs, she rode through the back, she was in full control and her jerking snowballed.

I felt embarrassed when the squirt came in a quick succession.... .

I sprang up from the bed with anxiety, The room was dark, except the noise from people pulling buckets on the concrete floor and the rays of dim torchlights everywhere.

The liquid was splattered all over my thighs. I reached for the towel and wiped off.

As i walked to the borehole in the thick of the dark swinging my bucket, I was bothered about the realness and why it had to be Kate and if this had a relationship with the physical.

I couldn't get my mind off it because it was the first time the squirt was triggered by someone known, others had been realized when i feel moist during dawn.

I made sure i was the loudest during the the worship session, this arose due to my suspicion of something dark; the relationship of girls from Calabar with the bed, i sensed the dream was because of my state of lack of prayers caused the short night i usually have due the noise from the room and the eagerness to have day void of intermittent nap during the skill acquisition development programme(SAED) boring lecturer.

My pitch was high when we sang "there is power in the name of Jesus" and i emphasized on "break every chain". I couldn't be bound to an evil spirit because of love. I realized the this was the first time my love for Kate was being self doubt.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by chinwezdasilva: 9:07pm On Jun 22, 2020
saxxyb:
Sorry readers, have been busy since last week, I promise to drop two updates tomorrow
See as you dey make me frequent, this section like say na sexuality we dey,
Anyway fine story I think I hv similar story

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2020
EPISODE NINETEEN

Kate had become more receptive. We interacted more often and she finally gave me her phone number.

The marching competition was coming to an end as well as other activities including the football and volleyball competition.

I sat down and was in a dilemma if i should stay for the next one year in Kogi or not, i prayed silently, that my decision wouldn't hunt me but i knew Kogi would be good especially if Kate and I were posted to the same place of primary assignment.

Maureen wasn't in sight, the afternoon was very hot, i dodged umpteen times when the Soldiers came nearby and i had to hurriedly read the book because the owner had requested for it the next day...

When it was few minutes past five, i went to search for Kate and i found her, she sat on a chair in a relaxed manner....

Me: "Kate how is everything?"

Kate: "All is well, i am kinda weary, we have really been practicing hard, the marching competition is at the corner, i just pray all ends well, i really miss Calabar, i can't wait to be back home"

Me: "Eeyah, just find time to rest, I also miss home too but Camp isn't that bad, at least it was better than the beginning, it is a lifetime experience, i have choral rehearsal for tonight program"

Kate: "So you can sing?"

Me: "To an extent"

Kate: "hmmmn"

Me: "why that expression"

Kate: "its nothing, well i hope to see you tonight"

Me: ** laughs ** " time to take my leave, lest i forget will you be in church today?"

Kate: "Sure"

Me: "OK we see then, Bye"

Kate: "take care"........

An eerie excitement ran inside of me, I was now more relaxed speaking to Kate and she seem not to be comfortable with my presence.

It took me time to locate where the choral team were practicing. I was amongst those to sing tenor, two of the songs we were to sing was an expression of love and charity.

Despite the late timing i integrated with ease, i wanted to be the lead singer of a song but i wasn't permitted, i made up my mind to give my all and make sure i perform well so as to impress Kate and Biodun who had mocked that i was going to give an absurd performance .

We rehearsed for about two hours, it was as though i had started with the rest since the inception, when the rehearsal was over, i received accolades and Ikechukwu, the choral coordinator expressed gratitude he emphasized how my impact in the choir .

After the rehearsals I was certain that our Platoon was going to be outstanding we were informed our dress code and pattern of positioning, it felt inner joy within. I went for evening mass.

Me: "Kate it was unfortunate that I couldn't get express myself the other night when we moved close to the speaker."

Kate: "Hopefully we could arrange for another time"

Me: "That time may never come"

Kate: ** shocked ** "why would you say something like that?"

Me: "i am only being realistic, we have few days and i am relocating to Lagos, we may never have the opportunity to express ourselves again"

Kate: "eeyah, i will miss you o, so you want to leave me in Kogi abi?

Me: " I can never leave you, i will visit Kogi occasionally and i pray destiny bring us together, in case we may not see again, what i want to tell you is that i really love you and i want to build a relationship with you and hope we eventually will get married ."

Kate: "This is serious, well i will miss you very well, i am becoming used to you, just leave everything in God's hand"

Me: "it is well......."

I left Kate when she went for the Kitchen to queue for food, i rehearsed alone, when Biodun came he instigated a mockery but i absolutely abstained...

I was one of the earliest person to come out in the cold night, different platoons were clustered around preparing for the moment, the choral coordinator informed of errors to avoid and encouraged our voice be projected, others encouraged us too.

Initially when we climbed the stage, my blood ran cold, thousands eyes stared at us, i was breathing heavily, with time i became less anxious, all were overwhelmed by our performance, we were given a standing ovation at the end, i was amazed when the results were announced; we were third position out of ten.

I laid face up planning for the next day till the lights went off and i took my prayers hoping to have a more exciting reoccurrence of Kate's touch in the dream.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Encounter With Kate by chinwezdasilva: 11:43am On Jun 28, 2020
Update asap,.. Kudos, nice update

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 12:14pm On Jul 05, 2020
EPISODE TWENTY

It was the last Saturday in Camp. An eloquent NYSC official gave an important presentation; "making maximum impact and utilizing the service year" . It came with nostalgia.

Most of the corp members were acting out of order and it was difficult to control them, everywhere was rowdy and excitement filled the air.

The morning was quite busy, various discussions were being held, it was occupied by the analysis of the beauty pageant and Mr Macho event.

Some were dissatisfied and suspected the judges were impartial. The previous night was awesome, i was with Kate all through, i felt a new connection, the program was long and we talked deep, she revealed some secrets about herself and she told me of her aspirations, dreams, likes, dislikes interest and i joked that she was the perfect representative of a Miss NYSC.
I understood she was easygoing and it was easy to be misunderstand her.

Kunle was busy arranging his documents, he emptied his travelling box and neatly arranged his items there, his face was squeezed, he complained that a little lack of concentration made him to lost the finals to Ada's platoon.

Kunle wailed and bit his fingers in regret occasionally like it was going to bring back the trophy...

Me: "You tried o, they just have to be a winner."

Kunle: "Osaz, i am so bittered, i imagined lifting that trophy, we were far better, luck wasn't just on our side"

Biodun: "You say wetin? how will luck be on your side? Kunle you caused your failure, it is because of over-fingering of Omolara that made her not to perform"

Me: ** laughs ** "Biodun that is unfair o"

Biodun: "I am only being realistic, it was lack of discipline that made you lose, this brother to like sweet thing, e no allow the babe rest, you no observe say she no dey jump well yesterday, machine wey no rest no dey function effectively talkless of human being"

Kunle: "You are the most unwise creature God ever made, receive sense in Jesus name"

Me: ** You guys should stop joor, let's talk about important things"

Biodun: "Wetin we dey discuss dey important na"

Me: "Something is bothering me o"

Biodun: "you have started again o, is that fair friend of yours? what is her name again?"

Me: "Her name is Kate, she is so dear to me but that isn't the main issue"

Kunle: "This guy hope you aren't confused? i thought you said you weren't going to fall in love after Ada's ordeal and you denied having any feeling for Kate that she is only a casual friend"

Me: "we started casually but things turned around, Kate is not like any other girl, she is so beautiful and lovely, i wish to spend the rest of my life with her"

Biodun: " Have you told her all these? Is she willing to spend her life with you? If i were you I will be myself and not try to force myself, she might even have a boyfriend at home and you are here struggling for her acceptance, i don't even like Calabar girls, they are too promiscuous"

Me: "Her aura i cannot resist, no matter the barrier, i am willing to fight to have Kate but the problem is that due to me relocating it will be difficult to be in touch with Kate, distance will impede communication, i am in a dilemma here, the reason i am going back to Lagos is because i want to hustle and make ends meet so i will be successful and provide for Kate and satisfy our needs, i spoke to her if she would be willing to come to Lagos, she disagreed stating she wants to be around her family."

Kunle: "As for me o, I will have access to Omolara any day and time, we will be in Kogi together"

Biodun: ** giggles ** "Kunle you will have access to honeypot, Make una find me babe na, well i dey relocate to Ibadan where make babes wey make sense plenty"

Me: "please get prepared, it will soon be time"

Biodun: "hurray, get ready guys i am gonna unleash my attire"
Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 12:23pm On Jul 05, 2020
EPISODE TWENTY ONE

Noise filled the air, Everyone was trying to be creative. The event; costume day was all about creativity in dressing and presentation. It was the climax of all competition in Camp. It was the only day we would wear mofty aside Sundays.

I didn't have any preconceived plan on what to wear, i wasn't really in a good mood, i was bothered about the choice i had made. I was very familiar with people here, a family friend had promised to help me settle well in the city; Lokoja.

I picked up a bucket, everywhere was colourful, different platoons customized their attires to their taste, the sight was a glamour and it was obvious everyone was excited, anyone who passed the hostel walkway and was outstanding would receive a loud ovation .

When i came back from the where I had fine to get water, the room was almost empty, i was still deliberating either to go or not.

I became relaxed when i noticed i wasn't the only one who wasn't putting on the platoon customized shirt, i was welcomed by few, some had tattooed their face, some wore decorated face mask, some attached leaves to their clothing, some wore native attires and the northerners were dominant. Everyone was in a exciting mood, it was indeed colourful.

We were being addressed by our assistance Platoon officer on how best we can present to score more points, a lot of ideas were considered and it was really awesome.

I scanned around for Kate, from her look I could tell that she wasn't happy, she was adorned in plain vest that made the size of her bosom obvious and a pair of jeans. I decided to wait a little while to see if she would change her mood before approaching but she still maintained her mood. When we went for the group photograph she stayed back. I decided to talk to her.

Me: "Hello Katie"

Her: "Hi Osaz"

Me: "you look so worried , what is bothering you?"

Kate: "Nothing really, i am just not in a happy mood, i wish i can stay indoors.

Me: "You ought to be happy like everyone here, i feel you are hiding something from me, don't forget a problem shared is half solved, or are you afraid of being posted to a remote PPA?"

Kate: "Not at all, well you look good"

Me: ***grins*** "you too, can i ask for something"

Kate: "Feel free"

Me: "hope you will grant my request"

Kate: "if it is within my power"

Me: "Can i have your Facebook name and your WhatsApp number"

Kate: ** Sighs ** "What exactly do you want them for?"

Me: "just wanna know more about you that's all"

Kate: "I am sorry you are getting none, i only give them to VIPs especially my Facebook identity"

Me: " Am i not a VIP? You have to give them to me or else i won't let you rest oh, how do we reach out to each other after we leave Camp?"

Kate: ** silent ** "Okay, i will give them to you, you have been a good companion"

Me: ** finally i go catch this babe e be like say she get boyfriend** "thanks a lot I really appreciate"

Kate: "you are welcome"

My platoon took sixth position out of ten, our presentation was less colourful and lacked vigour, when the overall results of the whole competition were announced we were fifth.

The organizers were communicating the plans of the upcoming party that was going to be held that Saturday night, i knew i wasn't going to be there likewise Kate.

When the planners called for a gathering i remained with Kate, we talked a lot and the bond became stronger. I was pained because our closeness was waxing, i wished we had more days to ourselves but i knew my wish were unrealistic as we were definitely leaving Camp in two days time.

I and Kate were so free with each other,i was really enjoying her presence, I caught Maureen spying on us but i pretended not to see her.

I was less less anxious and for the first time i expressed feelings to Kate without fear and also asked if we could start a relationship, She insisted that it wouldn't feasible.
Kate told me more herself including her political views, social life, early life, family, aspirations and i also told her everything about myself as emphasizing how i struggled to gain her attention couple of weeks back. She laughed all off.

When the Sun became intense and wanted to leave for the hostel but i begged, at times she teased me often calling me a small boy and undermined my age and often called me "small boy."

When the heat of the Sun became unbearable i had to let Kate go ......

Me: "I really appreciate your time, it was one of the best moment of my life"

Kate: "Awwn, i appreciate you too, you are such a funny guy"

Me: "Probably this would be the last time we see each other"

Kate: "Why do you say so? We still have tomorrow and the next, we can arrange a meeting, it's no big deal"

Me: ** chai, this girl is finally falling ** " Okay that would be cool, would you like we hanging out after an eatery after tomorrow's mass?

Kate: "That would be cool"

Me: " i bet you, it gonna be memorable, hopefully i will call you tonight"

We held hands as i accompanied her to the hostel before heading straight to mine in excitement, it was two hours with Kate.

All i did when i put off my shirt and laid on my bed was just a smile, Biodun was confused and he was eager to question the unnecessary cause of happiness.
Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 8:04pm On Jul 15, 2020
*EPISODE TWENTY TWO

Kate's pictures were very adorable and beautiful, her real beauty was visible and she was very active on Facebook, I saved some on my phone, I sent her a message on WhatsApp but she was yet to reply.

Through this medium i was able to gather enough facts about her and know how and where she had spent most of her time.

The environment was unusually rowdy, Several people were busy having fun and making preparations towards the night party.

Biodun picked up a pair of black sneakers and inquired if it matched his outfit.....

Kunle: "Well it's is cool, just wear it with a black cap"

Me: "Exactly it s a perfect match"

Biodun: "I have a date with a girl tonight, i must look good"

Kunle: "Sharp guy, same with me, It's gonna be my splendid night with Omolara."

Me: "You guys should take it easy o, do not take anything to the extreme"

Biodun: "Oga this is Asaya Camp, tonight we are going to shake everywhere, Osaz how your matter with Kate wan be na?

Me: "The girl na Indoor person, she no dey like all these kind activities, me i never know as tonight wan be o, I just dey observe"

Biodun: "Guy you too dey dull, you are just assuming negative, who told you that she is an indoor person? sometimes looks can be deceptive, who wouldn't wanna have fun tonight abeg call am for evening, package something really nice and see if she wouldn't surrender, she just dry form for you jare"

Kunle: "Exactly, girls generally behave like that, its your persistence that will convince her, if i were in your shoes I would call her now and promise her nice things, i am sure she will be convinced, moreover you be fine boy na, who wouldn't say no to you"

Me: "You sha sabi whine, fine boy for where? Maureen money dey speak. I get your point but the thing is that, i know Kate quite well she is a woman of her word, i will still try to convince her"

Biodun: "now you are talking and if she insists on not coming then find someone cool to entertain you like Maureen or i can hook you up with someone, no dull o, tonight is the icing on the cake, there might never be fun like this again" ** laughs **

Me: "lol, Maureen is never an option , her purpose has been accomplished, she served as a relationship counsellor, she was really helpful, I don't want to get things complicated, i am really hopeful tonight, it gonna be fun........

I went to WhatsApp to check if Kate had read my messages but she hadn't, i was impatient, the only thing on my mind was to create a lasting impression on Kate's mind before departing our different destination.

I checked my phone every five to ten minutes, but she was still yet to reply.

The dry cleaners who usually advertised their services in the morning were everywhere in the hot afternoon chanting so as to be patronized, it was due to people making preparations for the last day on camp, the outfit to be put on was the official wear and people wanted to look good because they were going to take photographs, since we had no good access to good laundry they capitalized on it and gave value for money.

Everyone talked about how they would prefer being posted to the state capital; Lokoja, it was deemed to be where there was access to electricity, good roads and communication network.

Kunle cleaned his blue box after giving his clothes to a dry cleaner.

There was a call and shockingly it was Maureen calling, i silenced my phone but she still dialed continuously, she had no reason for calling me, i reluctantly picked.

Maureen: "hello"

Me: "what is it?"

Maureen: "Ahan, you couldn't even asked of me for sometime now, you know that is not fair, after mass you will pretend not to see me"

Me: "Sorry about that, it's not like that o, i am really occupied these days, you know we are leaving camp soon, i need to put things to order"

Maureen: "So is that an excuse? Aren't we in the same camp, you are just coming up with silly excuse, You are an ungrateful being, it is because of me you have Kate now, don't worry God will judge you, this will be the last you will hear from me but God will definitely reward you according to your deeds"

Me: okay i am sorry, it's not intentional, you really need to understand the situation at hand"

Maureen: ** sobbing **

Me: "okay, i will change for good, I will create time for you, please Maureen stop crying, i am really feeling guilty"

Maureen: ** clears throat ** "thank you Osaz, but one more thing, let's see tonight**

Me: ** silent ** "eem"

Maureen: "i take that for an answer thank you" ** hangs phone **

I was silent for a while, what if Kate decides to change her mind and demand my presence? will she be happy seeing us together, I was in a dilemma and i hate to be in such situation, what if it was Kate's final test? i will definitely fail since i told her wouldn't be turning up. I decided to seek advise from Biodun and Kunle.

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by Odoogu(m): 10:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
wheew!! like I raced through it grin did Kate show up?
Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 10:03am On Jul 16, 2020
Odoogu:
wheew!!
like I raced through it grin
did Kate show up?

You will get to know in the coming episodes
Re: My Encounter With Kate by Odoogu(m): 7:50am On Jul 18, 2020
saxxyb:

You will get to know in the coming episodes
please when is the next update gonna drop! who no like better thing? grin grin
Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2020
soon

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by Ibbi039(m): 3:15pm On Jul 20, 2020
pls learn to be consistent with ur post, that's when u r going to have people glued to ur stories, dont be making erratic and inconsistent post, have a timeframe or a more specified interval like posting daily, once in two days or even bi weekly so that readers can look up to an update.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 11:33pm On Jul 26, 2020
EPISODE TWENTY THREE

I counted five thousand naira notes, I carefully kept it aside, it was for contingency sake, the night was unpredictable, I withdrew the cash for an extra amount due to the unavailability of an ATM machine in camp.

Biodun left the room, he had finally gotten a date, it was a friend he had met during the SAED session. The room was half full, I and few other persons were around, I insisted on not leaving until Maureen called me. It was past six, one could tell that everywhere was bubbling, from my window I could see some wearing contrabands, the rules were less adhered to, various social activities were ongoing.

I went to the field to pick my clothes, they were dried and scented nice, I folded them neatly into my bag, it was the last of my laundry. I wished Kate would change her mind so we could hangout. I decided to check my phone and finally Kate had read my message and she was online

Me: "Hi dear"

Kate: "Hello Osaz"

Me: "How was your day?"

Kate: "Nothing much"

Me: " Hmmn, hope you are fine?"

Kate: "perfectly well"

Me: " How are we spending tonight?"

Kate: "No plans for tonight, indoor all though"

Me: "Don't you think you should have fun? Our platoon is having a party tonight, wouldn't it be good if you attend?"

Kate: " I don't feel like, not in the mood, I wanna take my time to rest, try to have fun"

Me: " alright, but don't forget our date tomorrow after mass"

Kate: "Sure, I look forward to it"

Me: "Have a lovely night"

I was happy that Kate accepted my date, I felt a sudden excitement

I rechecked the five thousand naira, it was still intact, different groups were having fun, I greeted some familiar faces, it was almost as if the number of people present in camp had doubled, people were dancing, playing games, drinking and all sorts, I was tempted to join but I restrained.

When I got to where my platoon members were gathered I hailed some friends, I was conscious not to spend extra time there, they were very welcoming, few were spotted drunk, I was offered some drinks but I declined, I had few chats and I was off.

When I left where my platoon was, I went to check on Biodun and Kunle, Kunle was unreachable while Biodun was seated In the inner tent where I found it difficult to spot him.

The rays of many lights reflected on few familiar faces, some camp officials were present it was a party for all...

Me: "Bad guy"

Biodun: "How far"

Me: "I dey"

Biodun: " Collect one bottle na"

Me: "Thanks, I am fine"

Biodun: "Sure?"

Me: "yeah, I only came to check on you, wouldn't spend much time, will be leaving soon"

Biodun: "okay, try to enjoy yourself"

It was when Maureen called that I left Biodun, Maureen was looking sad, I enquired the reason but she said she just didn't feel too happy, I pleaded that we go to restaurant where we could stay and have a little fun.

I order two plates of pepepr soup, After we had started eating, Maureen opened up to me the reason for her sadness, she explained that she was anxious and wouldn't want to be posted to a remote village I convinced her that everything will be alright, Maureen just stared at me as if I was uttering gibberish, I took a while before she finally smiled, after we were done eating, we walked down to the chapel to inquire about the logistics on ground for Corps members.

It was really a cold night and I explained to Maureen that i wasn't comfortable with the cold weather, we eventually gisted for about thirty more and I assured her that everything will be fine.

When laid on my bed to sleep, i called Kate just to remind her of the date tomorrow and she assured me that she will be glad to honour the invitation.

I took my earphone and plugged it into my ears, and shielded myself with a blanket against the harsh cold. my body really needed rest, I was farmished.

2 Likes

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 11:39pm On Jul 26, 2020
EPISODE TWENTY FOUR

The sky was bright and the room was full, I emptied my box and rearranged my files.

The room governor gave an announcement that all should contribute towards the cleaning of the hostel. The announcement came with disagreement, some supported some opposed, I made sure my documents was intact and placed them deep inside my traveling bag, I was having difficulties with focusing on my task, I had a feeling I omitted something vital.

There were so much complain of stealing, it was Indeed rampant, I had to make sure I monitored who entered my corner. When the chaos was over, I hurriedly reached out for my bucket, I was thirty minutes left for mass to commence.

When I was done dressing, I walked briskly to the chapel, on reaching halfway, I realized my offertory wasn't inside my bible, I quickly dashed back to the hostel.

I ransacked my belongings, it wasn't there, I couldn't find any note, I lent a sum from Biodun, by the time I had organized myself and wiped my sweaty face, it was already 8:15 pm.

I was still determined to attend mass but Biodun convinced me to stay back and attend the pentecostal service and he promised it was going to be a lifetime experience, I explained to him that I had a date with Kate and that was what matters to me the most, after so much persuasion, I was still quite adamant to oblige to his plea not until he suggested a wonderful idea that was a win-win situation......

The pentecostal worship chapel was farther than the catholics, when I walked past the catholic chapel, I was tempted to take a swerve, but it was too late , the mass had started over an hour.

The atmosphere of the church was electrifying, it was three times bigger than that of the catholic, I was welcomed by a smiling usher that indicated where I should seat.

The worship was intense, I felt new, a typical environment filled with the presence of God, at a point I felt guilty, most especially when I had imagined the atrocity that i will secretly do to Kate.

The columns were divided between staffs and corp members, the roof of the church was very high as as time passed, people were trooping in, I sighted my platoon officer.

When the pastor that was invited for the day mounted the stage, he was exceptional and one couldn't doubt his authenticity, his claims were powerful and he prophesized over the lives of the congregation, he preached on power and his utterance were powerful, at a point I couldn't seat, I stood because his message was awesome, he encouraged us to evangelize during our service and not to be afraid.

The intriguing moment was when he uttered "Anyone one against you rising shall die even if it is your mother", it was a controversial response some murmured, some laughed, some giggled and some were mute .

A girl nearby gave a surprised look, also with me, our eyes met and we laughed it off, she looked friendly and all through the service, we stared at each other and communicated when there was need to, I couldn't take my eyes off her.

I sighted Uddy, She was a member of the choir that mounted the stage, her face was bright and she was esctaic and she swayed to the rhythm of the music, her voice was melodious, I admired her talent, I planned on telling her after the service how much I admired her. I also sighted Kunle Felix, he was among the technical crew, he was involved in sound moderation.

The service was impactful, the pastor message was centered around holiness and favour, he also emphasized that we shouldn't be discourage about serving in Kogi state that God has his reason for bringing us to the state.

When the invited pastor concluded the sermon, the congregation was overwhelmed and he received a loud standing ovation, I felt a new freshness, I knew I had received something from heaven.

The Camp coordinator advised that we should be filled with the holy spirit and spread the gospel in our various place of primary assignment. She instantly testified that she feel the power within her after the pastor touched her, she prayed for us and gave announcement for the process that was going to be involved the next day.

When the closing prayer was made, i bade farewell to the lady that I watched close by, I then went to the stage to greet Kunle, Uddy was busy so I didn't bother to see her, i kept the praise till when we will see during the evening parade.

I and Biodun was on our way back to the hostel

Me: " I really enjoy this service, it was awesome"

Biodun: "All thanks to me"

Me: ** Sighs ** "I have a date with Kate and I don't want to call her, she is still in the church"

Biodun: " So what are you going to do? Will you enter the chapel to join them?"

Me: "I will wait for her nearby, I am sure they will end mass soon"

Biodun: "Alright, see you in the hostel"

I sat under a nearby almond tree that faced the direction of the chapel, i was attentive, looking at every passerby I was bored but I endured, I knew that was my only chance of expressing my love for Kate, the sun was intense but I was willing to bear the cost.

I was a little distracted, I was admiring the rocks which pinnacle reached the top of the skies.

The sound of my name brought back my attention, it was Uddy and her face was bright, she was approaching my direction with some group of friends....

Me: "Happy Sunday Uddy"

Uddy: "Same dear" ** hugs** "What are you doing seated all alone under this hot sun"

Me: ** smiles ** " I am waiting for Kate, I have a date with her and I promise to attend mass but I couldn't make it........"

Uddy: "Hope she is aware?"

Me: "of course"

Uddy: " I suggest you go to the hostel and return when the mass is over, that should be better"

Me: "I am fine, I will just endure"

Uddy: "Alright, till evening"

Me: " wanna use this opportunity to appreciate you, I love the way you sang, you were awesome"

Uddy: " Thanks, bye"

Me: "Uwc"

I continued my waiting, I couldn't hear much from the sound coming from the chapel, when I got tired of waiting, I heeded to Uddy's advise and headed for the hostel.

The room was half full and was looking neater than usual, the people that were hired to clean the room did an excellent job, I explained the situation to Biodun and he was silent, he didn't give any opinion, he just scoffed and a friend that listening agreed with him.

I regretted involving Biodun, it should have been Kunle. I knew the mass had ended when a roommate entering the room with a loaf of bread in his hand, I enquired and he confirmed the end of mass. I reached for my clothes and sped to the Kitchen hoping meet Kate.

When I got to the kitchen i searched quickly, Kate wasn't there, I checked its environs, she wasn't. I described her to few, they had no idea, when I dialed her number multiple times, it was switched off. I was exhausted from asking too many questions and I regretted that I couldn't endure longer before going to the hostel.

I had no clue on what to do, I felt Kate will perceive me as a liar an insincere person that isn't true to his words.

4 Likes

Re: My Encounter With Kate by Odoogu(m): 8:08am On Jul 27, 2020
they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. but isn't osaz loosing himself gradually, all in the sake of having Kate? nice update

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 12:21pm On Sep 20, 2020
MY ENCOUNTER WITH KATE

EPISODE TWENTY FIVE

It was the last parade, Ayoade the owner of the book that I lended which kept me busy had requested for it, I knew I couldn't complete it within the time at my disposal, but I planned on covering so much.

The environment was rowdy, the authorities were less respected people were acting out of order, it was a lawless situation.

I had gone to my usual hiding place instead of the parade ground, In few minutes Maureen arrived, I sat in a wooden plain laid on a moulded concrete, I flipped through, reading as fast as I could, few others that escaped the parade came and hanged around.

The usual cultural group were absent, they had concluded their mission and they was no reason for them converging, It was only the man o' war rehearsing for the welcoming of the state governor representative visitation for the next day.

I found it difficult to concentrate, a discussion had started, it was centered on the criteria for posting to the place of primary assignment, there were different opinions, some identified course of study, some class of grade, tribe and so on.

There was fear in their voices, most of them didn't wish for the waterside, they wanted Lokoja the capital or Kabba where the Camp was located.

Maureen stared at me in a way I could discern, I was trying hard to focus, Maureen had a way of bringing me into the discussion, but I avoided her tricks, she often put me on the spots.

The sun was so intense, we all moved to a shade, when I was uncomfortable with the noise and the heat became unbearable, I decided to stop reading. I wasn't interested in the conversation, I just cupped my chin in my palm listening to them.

There was pandemonium, we quickly dispersed to various hideouts, I connived with the members of the man o' war to claim I was a member of their group, a high ranking soldier ordered many back to the parade ground, when he reached the man o' war area, I avoided eye contact, I just kept calm after observing for a while, he marched slowly away. There was a sigh of relief.

It took about five minutes to monitor that he was finally gone, when we converged on the same spot we were three less, we laughed over it.

Maureen came out from her hideout and we laughed again. The evening parade was going to be over soon, I checked my WhatsApp and messaged Kate and to my surprised she replied immediately.

Me: "Hello Kate, Its me Osaz"

Kate: "OK, How are you?"

Me: "Fine and you?

Kate: "fine"

Me: " Please can we meet?"

Kate: "Of course"

Me: "where exactly are you?

Kate: "outside, at the security post"

Me: "I am at the Man O' War area, please come over here"

Kate: "Why?"

Me: "Here is cool, its very nice"

Kate: "Me I can't come o, if you wanna see me come here"

Me: "Are you alone"

Kate: "No, I am with my friends"

Me: " You know I don't like to be among groups, here is better, I am alone"

Kate: "why? Are you shy?Sorry I can't come o"

I explained to Maureen about the situation and Maureen suggested that I should go and meet Kate where she was. When I got there she wasn't there anymore, I later sighted her in the midst of the crowd. But I was reluctant to meet her, she was engrossed in a conversation with Uddy and an unfamiliar face.

The corp members were deliberately rebellious, there were minor brawls between the authorities and the subjects, someone had feigned fainting, it caused chaos, the overall commandant had to put things in order, he ordered everyone alive to sit on the bare floor, they were utterly murmurs, from whereI sat, I crawled so low so as not to be noticed to where Kate was, she was still talking when I disrupted with a greeting, she unconvincingly replied, I explained to her why I wasn't present for the date, I guessed she believed after I pleaded for her to believe, she requested I need not to bother myself stating that she was just surprised as to why I didn't show up. I saw disappointment in Kate face

Me: "It took a while to find you"

Kate: "Oh"

Me: "Yeah, concerning the date, I was absence due to my lateness for mass, I waited for you but I had to go and rest, when I came back you were nowhere to be found, I tried calling your number but it was switched off, all these are not fabricated lies, trust me, it's not , Uddy can attest to this"

Kate: "Its alright, no need to stress the matter"

Me: " thanks for your understanding"

Kate: " welcome ".......

Kate was speaking her local dialect with the unfamiliar girl, I had an inkling that their discussion had shifted to me. The camp commandant spoke with rage, he was boasting of his authority and he promised to discipline us no matter how soon we were leaving.

He ordered us to stand, I dusted my hands and communicated to Kate that I still wanted to have the date with her, she rejected my offer, I felt sad, I begged further but she was adamant, the unfamiliar girl kept staring at me like an Infidel.

After so much plea she finally accepted my invitation

I had accompanied Kate halfway to her hostel when she ask me to leave, I insisted but she refused, I respected her decision and reminded her of the date before I departed.

It was already past seven and darkness lurked,I returned Ayoade's book while expressing gratitude, we shook hands, I went to meet Maureen and asked if we could go to church for thanksgiving, she didn't want to go, she asked me to get her something that she was famished, I didn't want to but she was persistent, I had to get her a plate of fried rice with chicken, we chatted for a while and I told her about how i explained the cause of my absence to Kate, she commended my courage and I appreciated her for the advice.

Maureen stopped half way the path that led the Pentecostal church, I promised to call her after the date with Kate and I gave her a tight hug before letting her go.

The church was less crowdy, I scanned around before moving, there was a section where I registered my name amongst those that were going to utilize the church custodian service for out luggage's the next day.

The thanksgiving services started with praise then worship after then there was a quiz session, I didn't participate much I was stressed out, the Cruz if the services was when we were asked about the longest name in the bible, I was so confident that I know the answer ; Nebuchadnezzar, to my uttermost shock I was wrong when the answer was revealed, it was "Maher-shalal-hash-baz" I was a new knowledge.

I didn't wait till the service was over, I wanted to go out with Kate and have a good rest afterwards. I was almost alone except for the few figures I spotted on their all white attires, I was scared, the atmosphere had begin to change, I felt a stormy breeze, It lifted particles, it was vociferous, I hasten up towards the hostel arena.

The storm didn't last, but the climate was moist and cold, when I got near the hostel a girl walked in my front on me, there was an inscription on her shirt ; "God's presence". I engaged her in a conversation, it was about if she had experience Gods presence and she affirmed and narrated how the experience, I encouraged her to always cultivate the habit of hosting God magnificent presence.

I and the Girl both ran for cover when it began to drizzle, she entered her hostel while I waited nearby till it reduced after which I dashed to the hostel.

I quickly went for my bucket, I was poised to look clean for the date, it was very difficult to stay in the cold, the cloud was
lightened, I was freezing out in the cold, I scooped the water with the bailer, ,and threw the rest on the ground.

The rain was gathering in the cloud, I called Kate but she didn't pick, I was anxious, after the second called she picked........

Me: "Hello Kate, its me Osaz, I am on my way to your hostel, Hope you are prepared"

Kate: "Emmn, its about to rain, let's wait a little longer till the drizzling g stops "

Me:"Alright then, be expecting my call soon"

Kunle and Biodun just stared at me and smiled, I ignored them, my eyes were heavy, Biodun uttered that I give up on her and forget everything about Kate that after tomorrow everything will be history and that the relationship was baseless and that we may never meet again for life. I felt silent, I was impatient the rain had intensified , it pitter-patter the rood top, I went for my jacket, it was already fourty-five minutes since I called Kate, the rain had reduced its intensity and I called Kate...

Me: "Can we go now?"

Kate: "Haa.. Please Osaz I am tired everywhere is cold and wet"

Me: " oh please this is the last night here in camp just sacrifice for me"

Kate: " I want to but I am exhausted, I am sorry if I disappointed you, good night" * hangs up*

Me: * hearts beats*

There was an eerie silence, I couldn't believe that this was going to be the outcome, I gave up and admitted the fact I gave my best, I made up my mind that it was last I will have to do with Kate, after all the relationship was a smooth one.

The night ended, It was a double tragedy; a drunk vomited inside the while while a roomate phone was stolen, it caused chaos, the soldiers on duty decided to punish us after series of warning, we were made to sit on the wet ground for about an hour. By the time we were released it was past one, it was already the final day in camp

1 Like

Re: My Encounter With Kate by saxxyb: 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2020
*MY ENCOUNTER WITH KATE*

EPISODE TWENTY SIX

I checked my wrist watch it was just 3:25 am, I felt my head aching, I was surprised and annoyed that my roomates were making noise at this time of the night, I wasn't more than two hours since I slept, the noises from people arranging their luggage increased, the room was well lit, the more I tried going back to bed the more impossible it was, I had to endure.

I rechecked my luggage's and made sure everything was intact and complete, making sure they fit into a single bag, Kunle helped in binding my matrass so I could easily carry it.

When I finished having my bath, I, Kunle and Biodun took our luggage to the Pentecostal church, it was where it was most safe, we were made to sign and we were given a number tag for identification, we were left with our matrass, both boy and girls littered everywhere, the deadline was to evacuate the hostel latest by 7pm that day.

The moon was now visible, on my way back to the hostel, I stumbled upon Cynthia a platoon- mate of mine, she pleaded that I should accompany her to the centre for phone charging, she spoke confident of her PPA , she said so because she was a member of the cultural group which automatically meant she was posted to the state capital. I told her that I expected Lagos, we both shared the good memories we had together before I left her, on my way back I saw Ada, we both greeted and I told her to keep in touch, because we couldn't know what to expect, Ada didn't look happy.

When I was settled, I lay my matrass on a pavement and leaned on it, trying to get some sleep. My eyes were heavy, everywhere seemed tensed, it was still early, there was no parade, I sighted Uddy from a distance, I moved closer and it was her, I expected Kate could be nearby, but I didn't see Kate.

I was doubtful if I should still apologize to Kate or just let it go since she was aware that it was the rainfall that stopped me from taking her out.

After about five minutes, I went to meet Uddy, she was leaning on the Yusuf shoulder, my attention woke her ...

Me: "Sorry for the disturbance, how are you doing?" ** shook hand with Yusuf**

Uddy: "Fine and you good"

Me: "Good to hear, please where is Kate?"

Uddy: * points* "she was there a moment ago, just check back in few minutes time"

Me: " alright".......

My eyes were as alert as an owl hunting its prey, I was focused on the direction that Uddy had shown, Alas Kate walked in slowly, I couldn't see her face clearly, I waited for about ten minutes before approaching her, I was anxious, I wanted to see her probably for the last time....

Me: " hi"

Kate: "Hello"

Me: "How was your night?"

Kate: "Good"

Me: " I just wanna say my final good bye, I pray destiny bring us back"

Kate: "Hmmn"

Me: "And for yesterday night, I didn't mean to, it was because of the rain"

Kate: " you are saying this because you want to fulfill all righteousness" ** hisses**

Me: " Kate! Why would you say something like that? Its too harsh o, I have no point of telling lies, I wanted to, that why I called again, see em you have to trust me, I have no point of telling you lies, please believe me"

Kate: "Please its okay, let's forget everything"

Me: "I just want us to leave on a friendly note"

Kate: " I have heard you"

Me: " thanks for your understanding"

Kate was smiling as I cracked some light joke, I went to pick my matrass from where I left it and I brought it to where she was, I placed my chair beside hers and we were gisting so freely like never before, when it was time to submit our mattresses for the collection of a clearance tag, We went together, she was at my front, when I submitted mine, I helped Kate to carry hers, she was grateful,

when it was dawn, we were clustered around our platoon officer, it was time to receive our identity card in exchange for the clearance tag, there were rumors around, people exchange contact, I received mine earlier than Kate, she was nervous at first, I had to calm her down till she received hers too.

We were into each other, she told me more about herself, at a time I was surprised and I was tempted to ask her while the unexpected friendly behavior, I saw a different Kate, it was as if I was in the dream world.

I left Kate for a while, I needed to answer nature's call, when I was back, we continued from where we stopped, she was an amazing person, I did most of the talking and she spoke occasionally, we went to a shade, where we became more comfortable.

It was already shinning bright early in the morning and the sun was hot, Kate complained of back ache, I tried to calm her down, I gave Kate my phone while she took nice shots of me, the shots were adorable especially the one where I stood beside the fully kitted Corp member statue at the front of the auditorium. I requested I and Kate take a picture where we were together she declined, it made me really sad, but she was not willing so I gave up.

Kate complained bitterly about her back ache, I offered to help her massage it but she mocked me emphasizing that I had a corrupt motive despite my claim of being a born again Christian.

As we went to collect Kate phone where she was charging it, we stumbled upon our Platoon commander, Sergeant Friday, we both greeted him, he called Kate aside and spoke to her for about a minute, I felt an instant jealousy, I didn't bother to ask Kate what he discussed with her.

We moved closer to the pavilion, we were in the mist of people, we gisted about the different places that we could be posted and their advantages and disadvantages. It was very debatable, opinion difference was the main thing. I sat beside Kate, we were involved in the discussion, I locked hands with Kate, her hands were soft and mild, I pretended as if I wanted to deflate pimples on her face and I was sure Kate was comfortable with me.

When the three girls that were beside us went to the Kitchen to collect breakfast, they told us to look after their chairs, a guy came for the empty chairs, he wanted to forcefully take it, I explained that we were in custody of it and that the owners would soon be back, Kate held on to the chair, It led to the exchange of harsh words, I came with a dispute resolution, I allowed the guy to sit pending till when the owners came back, Kate eyes were wet, she was almost weeping, I consoled her, I wanted to engage with a fight with the guy but I restrained, I just had to compose myself. I console Kate to forget everything and lighten up her mood, she explained that she hate intimidation.

When the owners came back Kate affirmed her claim, it difficult to get her to the mood before encountering the guy.

When I proposed to share the gospel with Kate, she accepted, it was my way of making her get back to her previous mood, and it worked, she smiled and nodded in in agreement.

We were then informed to assemble to the parade ground, it was the final event, the governor was to address us, it was tagged the closing ceremony, Kate still complained of the back ache, I offered to help her carry her bag, she accepted and was glad, I gave her my waist pouch to hold, I was past one, the sun was very hot, they were side talk and mumur, anxiety fill the air, Kate was also anxious, I encouraged her to trust God, there was a small gathering of about five people and when I went to enquire, it was confirmed that those that applied for relocation had been approved, I was scared and nervous, Kate noticed it and gave a warm smile, when I tried logging my details, the website was packed, too many people were trying to have access at the same time, I was impatient and couldn't concentrate anymore.

Kate approached me holding a piece of pie with a bottle and fanta offering to share with me, I just took a sip and thanked her.

When the governor representative gave his final speech, different platoons converged in their respective areas, I exchange Kate's bag for my pouch and quickly went to the cyber cafe to check my relocation status.

When I came back, I combed for Kate, I saw her in the corner of the crowd, she stood still, she held her posting letter in her hands, I knew something was wrong, she was almost in tears , she was posted to a secondary school in Olamaboro local government area, which was below her expectation, I consoled her and told her that everything would be alright.

Many buses were trooping into the field to convey people to their various local government, I was confident my relocation had worked because I wasn't given a posting letter, but the worry was if it was Lagos.

I accompanied Kate to where her luggage was, it was in the Catholic church, Kate walked like someone that just lost a family member and everything i said to encourage her didn't make sense, she was too crestfallen to speak, I wanted to carry her box for her, she declined, she lifted it on her head not minding the environment, she looked like a village woman coupled with the way she tied her jacket around her waist. I felt her pain but I was more pained because we were missing each other, i was already in love with her.
Re: My Encounter With Kate by Sliss(m): 2:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
Welcome back

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

War Of Hearts / The Great War / Checkmate Competition- Group 2 Collaboration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 273
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.