Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,528 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries (55756 Views)

COVID-19 Testing Resumes In Kano / NIMR Offers Free Coronavirus Testing In Yaba, Lagos / Listeriosis Outbreak: WHO Warns Nigeria, 15 Other African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Seun(m): 11:00pm On Apr 12, 2020
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

South Africa, with a population of 57.78 million, has conducted 80,085 tests.
Ghana, with a population of 29.77 million, has conducted 37,954 tests.
Egypt, with a population of 98.42 million, has conducted 25,000 tests.

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?

165 Likes 23 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Luvdbyursista(m): 11:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
Great Analysis..Would be glad if I can get a lead to the source of these statistics..would need it for research..Thank you

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by babytoun: 11:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
The is very very worrisome. Testing speed and coverage is a key determinant of how easily a country can manage this pandemic

How on earth can it be explained that Ghana has tested 7 times more than Nigeria. It is untenable ...it is shameful

Front page please

212 Likes 13 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by babytoun: 11:19pm On Apr 12, 2020
Test per million ratio shows that nigeria has tested only 24 people per million . This is the third worst in the entire world which only betters the ratio of mozambique and Malawi

Even small Niger Republic has tested 4600

209 Likes 19 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by DZTech: 11:20pm On Apr 12, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?
If you knew the level of corruption in the whole project, you would just enter your inner room to go and weep.

With the way they're trying to steal every available kobo, it's as if they actually BELIEVE the virus is a joke!
This confirms the pervasive stupidity of Nigeria's elite.
Just protect you and yours, because what’s coming will be cataclysmic.

193 Likes 4 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Luvdbyursista(m): 11:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
Luvdbyursista:
Great Analysis..Would be glad if I can get a lead to the slurce if these statistics..would need it for research..Thank you
Seen the link in the post. Thank You

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by 9jayes: 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
And to think Nigeria budget can buy the whole of Ghana.

There should be at least two testing labs in every Local government

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Captainrambo2: 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
Well, some idiots voted saibaba for change I 2019....

Yet Aso rock clinic couldn't treat kyari........ undecided

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Emu4life(m): 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
I couldn't read those statistics to the end cuz it made me feel like crying

144 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by weblord1900: 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
Would have been better if I would have be born in 2099. Nigeria must have been better or out of existence then. Nigeria keep breaking my heart the time.

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Jack500: 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
This country is not working, let's go our separate way. Yoruba population alone is more than enough for a country.

Nigeria can't work.

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Isoduwa(m): 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
Luvdbyursista:
Great Analysis..Would be glad if I can get a lead to the slurce if these statistics..would need it for research..Thank you

Google is your friend

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by iwriterng(m): 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
Trust data coming from Nigeria at your own peril.

14 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Predator1: 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
Everything is a joke in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Millz404(m): 11:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
With the way things are done in this country sometimes i think the country is under some kind of curse. They are more interested in embezzling the funds for testing than bother with testing anybody.

People that are making money off the bokoharam crisis.. you think corona will be an exception?

Thank God people are not dropping dead on the streets, i think people are busy infecting others and recovering without even knowing it.That is our saving grace.

142 Likes 8 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Abilistic(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Ok
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Nobody: 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Hmmm

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by FemiOyewoleGCFR(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Luvdbyursista:

Google is your friend

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by aaking(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Nigerian politicians are using this medium to steal and embezzling the nation's wealth . Who are the people they are testing, when so many sick fellow are finding where the tests centre are even ncdc refusing calls except the notable ones.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Perfecttouchade: 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Naija don finish
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Xisnin(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
All those reasons are silly excuses by the government.
They are not testing because they don't want to.
By now anyone with faintly close symptoms of the disease should be tested.
But people can't get tested because you have to satisfy some criteria or be near death to be considered.

To make matters worse, we don't know the government's endgame.
Neither the unresponsive NCDC nor the ministry of health has published any
public policy towards ending the infection.

They appear to have adopted the "let us wait it out" strategy that has failed countless countries.
They forgot that they can't lockdown forever.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Africana1123(m): 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Sinzu money no go like this ooo angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by 989900: 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
This has been my angle in discussions since morning.
This means cases could theoretically be far more than detected.
cry

12 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by glowingflame7: 11:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
Seun:

We don't really want to do the tests. We want the money and relief from our supporters and pity team. Serious countries are testing 40,000 per day.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by merryossai(m): 11:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
Nigeria is a failed project! I just pray corona will never cost the lives of any of our loved ones...Amen

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ivolt: 11:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
Nigeria's relatively low level of testing has nothing to do with training(which can be done pretty quickly) or technology since China is now back to full production of kits.

The issue is all about money but since we aren't that poor compared to Egypt and Ghana using GDP per Capita value then the government is simply not prioritizing the fight against Covid-19.

The government claims that it costs about #10,000 per test but many of the test kits being used were donated not bought.

If we test 100,000 people that comes to about 1 billion Naira and 1 million tests will cost 10 billion Naira.

Given that Nigeria has lost billions in revenue due to the scaling down of port operations and other economic activities, it makes no sense to delay the epidemic further by refusing to test more people.

Right now, it appears both the government and the health officials are in agreement on the low testing rate policy which shouldn't be since the experts should know better.

The more we delay testing and hope for the best, the more our economy tanks and we risk a full out epidemic.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ThierryJay: 11:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
Tests are key to knowing the true status of the extent of the infection and managing the spread. With one of the lowest testing ratios in the world, our CoVID 19 management statistics are a complete farce!

To put this into perspective, if Ghana were to have tested less than 5,000 people like NIgeria, they'd probably only have less than 100 cases, and then they'd be falsely happy about the low spread of the disease.

With 10 recorded COVID deaths in Nigeria coupled with about 2 unofficial deaths (making a total of at least 12), our actual level of infection (as at two weeks ago) could be around 900 - 1200 cases when taking the 1% - 1.5% average death rate into account. Right now, with an average infection rate per person of 2.5 - 3Ro (i.e one person infects 2.5 to 3 people on the average), we might be looking at up to 2,500 - 3,500 cases currently in Nigeria. I'm not a prophet of doom but these are logical reasons for everyone to take the lockdown more seriously to break the cycle of infection!

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Built2last: 11:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
Same fears

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Biafrarep(m): 11:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
Lol, just imagine!
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ignis: 11:31pm On Apr 12, 2020
The problem of Nigeria is corruption.

Our leaders will prefer to sit on top of the money meant for testing.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by mytime24(f): 11:31pm On Apr 12, 2020
Wetin i go comments na cool

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wonders Of The Mystery Black Stone And How To Make One. / Girl Rushed To Hospital With Iron Hook In Her Eye. Graphic Photos / Baby In Pains As Her Head Continues To Swell Due To Medical Condition. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.