Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries (55747 Views)

COVID-19 Testing Resumes In Kano / NIMR Offers Free Coronavirus Testing In Yaba, Lagos / Listeriosis Outbreak: WHO Warns Nigeria, 15 Other African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by akpumpy: 6:26am On Apr 13, 2020
Gabbriell:
Definitely a fake news. This kind of thing make me think thst our problem is not even the leaders. We are our own problem.

How can we have tested 5000 cases. It imply that only about 357 test are been done daily.

5000 test so far is a great claim... I link to your news source should have been provided. I don't like this government but some people are going the wrong way just to bring the government down...making them worse than the government itself.
The National coordinator of the Covid19 presidential committee Dr Aliyu was on channelsTV(Politics today) last night and he confirmed that only about 3000 tests has been carried out( Not even 5000).So it is really a fake news. We are in deep shit ! Thank you

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Dcoy: 6:29am On Apr 13, 2020
USA will say over 2million, Ghana 39,7...., but Nigeria always have a round figure always... It's either 4000, or 5000, or 10,000... Na so you dey know audio figure

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:39am On Apr 13, 2020
We have several laboratory scientists and even technicians in Nigeria. Those in final year in the University can even be recruited to beef up testing. All they need is additional training which may be half a day session and they can do run these tests.

The billions being donated should actually be shared proportionately to mass testing, as currently we dont know the current toll of the virus on Nigeria. I pray we are not sitting on a time bomb.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by JB4life: 6:42am On Apr 13, 2020
This has further exposed the poor attitude of Nigerian leaders to the world of medical laboratory professionals and laboratory testing in Nigeria, aided by the baseless superiority battle against medical laboratory scientists in Nigeria by Nigerian physicians.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by lastround(m): 6:49am On Apr 13, 2020
Guk:

To be honest with you, i dont know why people are so fixated with this Covid-19 testing? Must we follow the joneses blindly?

Nigeria is among the capital of infectious diseases world wide with such, as Chickenpox; Yellow Fever; Lassa Fever; TB and in the earlier decades; Measles; Small pox etc. Please tell me which one, we ever carried out virology tests for

The standard is that you feel ill, you then present yourself to a clinic or hospital; they 1st test & treat you for malaria. If symptoms persist, they then test for other things like typhoid & when tired of your case, refer you to General hospital or Teaching hospital depending on your proximity.

By this time, you have drank so many different medicine that you end up not knowing the one that cured you.

In all of this, the nurses and Doctors attended to you without gloves; facemask or PPE but they end up not contracting any disease.

If you know any other process different from the above, you can then see why our health system does not feel they should spend so much testing.

Fall ill first & they
shall take it up from there
My brother the whole thing tire me ooo.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ThierryJay: 6:50am On Apr 13, 2020
Guk:

To be honest with you, i dont know why people are so fixated with this Covid-19 testing? Must we follow the joneses blindly?

Nigeria is among the capital of infectious diseases world wide with such, as Chickenpox; Yellow Fever; Lassa Fever; TB and in the earlier decades; Measles; Small pox etc. Please tell me which one, we ever carried out virology tests for

The standard is that you feel ill, you then present yourself to a clinic or hospital; they 1st test & treat you for malaria. If symptoms persist, they then test for other things like typhoid & when tired of your case, refer you to General hospital or Teaching hospital depending on your proximity.

By this time, you have drank so many different medicine that you end up not knowing the one that cured you.

In all of this, the nurses and Doctors attended to you without gloves; facemask or PPE but they end up not contracting any disease.

If you know any other process different from the above, you can then see why our health system does not feel they should spend so much testing.

Fall ill first & they shall take it up from there

The difference is that none of the above diseases you mentioned has the capacity to inundate our healthcare system like CoVID 19.

If you allow everybody infected with CoVID 19 to start showing symptoms before you test and treat them, it will get to a point where hundreds or thousands of infected persons will show symptoms at the same time. This will overwhelm our fragile healthcare facilities. So you cannot use measles approach for CoVID 19.

Also while asymptomatic, many people will continue to infect others unknowingly which will have devastating impacts as seen in some other countries.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by lebete3000: 6:52am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

South Africa, with a population of 57.78 million, has conducted 80,085 tests.
Ghana, with a population of 29.77 million, has conducted 37,954 tests.
Egypt, with a population of 98.42 million, has conducted 25,000 tests.

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?

I just hope I'm out if this Titanic called Nigeria before it finally founders.

Make I prepare ASAP to get my life boat...

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Gabbriell: 7:06am On Apr 13, 2020
akpumpy:

The National coordinator of the Covid19 presidential committee Dr Aliyu was on channelsTV(Politics today) last night and he confirmed that only about 3000 tests has been carried out( Not even 5000).So it is really a fake news. We are in deep shit ! Thank you

Channels TV document their news very well. They are one of the best..if not the best in the country. So a link to the news or podcast won't do any harm.
Reports are made based on credible links..not on "they say 2000 have been tested", "they say 3000, 5000, 10000". Everyone can call figures.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by FlameZ80s(m): 7:19am On Apr 13, 2020
They should stop telling lies. They have not tested up to 5000 real Nigerians, they are just making figures dishing us with numbers to loot the funds. Brainless country
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by persius555(m): 7:31am On Apr 13, 2020
DZTech:
If you knew the level of corruption in the whole project, you would just enter your inner room to go and weep.

With the way they're trying to steal every available kobo, it's as if they actually BELIEVE the virus is a joke!
This confirms the pervasive stupidity of Nigeria's elite.
Just protect you and yours, because what’s coming will be cataclysmic.

Heads will roll. The knack for the looting of public funds by public servants and politicians who are in cohort
If each test cost 10,000naira like they say, are we saying we cannot afford 50 million Naira to test at the least 50,000 people.

The lockdown would just amount to a failure
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ybn(m): 7:38am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?

NCDC said it tested only 600 so far....not 5000
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by chrisagyei: 7:46am On Apr 13, 2020
Donpruddy:
While we those in Ghana are complaining bitterly that govt isn't doing enough. In Ghana we have only 3 testing centers. What a pity.while countries are conducting mass testing, our leaders are been economical.
are you a Ghanaian if i may ask?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by johnmattew: 7:51am On Apr 13, 2020
tuzle:
When I tell people I prefer being in USA during this pandemic than in Nigeria, they think I am joking.
at this moment,Nigeria is far better than USA..... testing or no testing,Nigeria isn't experiencing avalanche of people with coronavirus or deaths....thats a mystery

secondly,where was American government,when nigerian government where taking precautionary measures to curb coronavirus. at the initial stage?......American president was busy campaigning and calling coronavirus a hoax
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by johnmattew: 7:51am On Apr 13, 2020
ybn:

NCDC said it tested only 600 so far....not 5000
na wao...where did u get such data from?
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by johnmattew: 8:03am On Apr 13, 2020
hilaryCU:

Nigerian illiterates, research before posting trash. Who told you, your GDP per capita is bigger than Egypt
and where did the dude suggest that our income per capita is bigger than Egypt's.....u are the educated illiterate here cos u can't comprehend
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by shogsman(m): 8:06am On Apr 13, 2020
The fact that most of you are actually surprised with Nigeria's porous test number is funny to me, most of you just read nsdc epistles and talk but you don't ask questions.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Ijaya123: 8:09am On Apr 13, 2020
glowingflame7:

We don't really want to do the tests. We want the money and relief from our supporters and pity team. Serious countries are testing 40,000 per day.

No country has ever tested 40,000 in a day. Be reall.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:12am On Apr 13, 2020
tatatar:

Ok...while it's likely we're lagging behind in taking tests,remember tests are not just taken randomly or such.Those countries have higher index cases with more people exposed to it than ours.
What do you mean by higher index cases?
Over 80% of the cases we've had are imported.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by bandOFhorses: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2020
Young man. In early march we were conducting 1500 test PER DAY!.... undecided. Nigeria is a total mess i agree. But get your facts right!
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by executive12: 8:20am On Apr 13, 2020
So called giant of Africa. The real giant of Africa is South Africa. Shame on the bigot Buhari and the fools that voted for him.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:21am On Apr 13, 2020
GermanMelania:

That's just it. Testing or not it is not a silent disease. Bodies will pile up. 20,000k bodies in a month in the u.s. where will you hide the bodies? We will hear of interconnected prominent people dying or a group of people from the same market. That is how it was identified in Wuhan. We haven't seen that.
Ppl have died due to this coronavirus and it was not known. One just happened yesterday in Bida, Niger state. If you have anyone there ask them. The woman coughed till she died. It's after her death they took her sample for testing and they're still awaiting the results.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by executive12: 8:23am On Apr 13, 2020
weblord1900:
Would have been better if I would have be born in 2099. Nigeria must have been better or out of existence then. Nigeria keep breaking my heart the time.

Even if you were to be born in 2099, as long as Nigeria is not restructured or broken up, the country will still be messed up.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by TAYO124: 8:29am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:

There is no need to state the obvious, there are much more pressing issues which have not been addressed in Nigeria. Misplaced priority, thousands of Nigerians die from various other diseases combined yet it is only covid 19 we care about though it has not even claimed up to 1000 individuals in Nigeria.
Boko haram has killed Thousands, Armed Fulani herdsmen has killed Thousands, daily road traffic accidents kills Thousands , SARS and police/security men kill Hundreds weekly yet all we care about is covid 19 deaths. What a country?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:31am On Apr 13, 2020
Amya:
People keep comparing Nigeria to other countries that have done more test believing that the more test equal more infected. As someone said above, if our nfection rate was really high we'd see death clusters.

Our social media is quite powerful.Even people who kill snakes make the front page. If people have family members or friends that present covid-likesymptoms or die from covid-like illness ,I bet you thst news will be all over by now. Someting like tgat cant be covered up.

I don't now people choose to be pessimistic in this trying times. I'm not a fan of the present government, but I would never wish my country bad just because i want to have the last laugh.

The reason why the US has more rate of infections is simply because they have 100s of international airports and when some of their citizens from other countries started returning home because of the epidemic, they all entered into their country via different states, some unknowingly with the virus already. So the virus started multiplying in several places at the same time. Unfortunately for the US, they didnt start massive testing till 2 weeks after the virus had spread to every nook and cranny. When they got serious about testing, people eligible for testing via their proximity to infected persons were already in the millions. As of today, 22 million people in California alone are eligible to be tested because of the contact they had with an infected person. So even the 2 million tests done already is even poor because their contact tracing yields 10s of million who are supposed to be tested.

Nigeria on the other hand only has Lagos and Abuja as the gate of Nigeria. After the Italian man tested positive, flights from countries with over a hundred people infected were stopped from coming into the country. The virus still sneaked into the country and when the lockdown started, people who had come into contact with infected persons were about 5 thousand people. It definitely have increased now but it won't be so much because of the lockdown.

It's clear that the transmission rate is very low in Africa generally for some reason. The guy who had corona and went to the AMVCA didnt transmit the virus to anyone there. Everyone who attended the show was asked to self isolate for 2 weeks. This is one month plus. If it were the US or Europe, a lot of people would have gotten it from that place.

You make a lot of sense
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by GermanMelania: 8:39am On Apr 13, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Ppl have died due to this coronavirus and it was not known. One just happened yesterday in Bida, Niger state. If you have anyone there ask them. The woman coughed till she died. It's after her death they took her sample for testing and they're still awaiting the results.

Lets wait and see results? Not only coro de give cough. Before coro we for say na village people.

Like you said this happened in Bida we will hear more of it if and when coro spreads.
Just remember the first ekiti people. The "white American" guy was inconclusive. Yet he died Then his naija educated female was negative. But the uneducated driver was positive. I am just saying. That was fishy. Gov makinde fishy. Only him negative in 7 days.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Oyiboman69: 8:43am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:
Test per million ratio shows that nigeria has tested only 24 people per million . This is the third worst in the entire world which only betters the ratio of mozambique and Malawi

Even small Niger Republic has tested 4600
It is better than going on a Radom and reckless way of testing,there bye concluding that every ailments in the country is covid19.they will start trowing anyone who have high temperature, cough,malaria and other symptoms into a van and taking to the place with the real virus without proper ascertainment. This way is better
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by macjireh: 8:46am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

a lot of people who were negative became positive after d test.... is DAT wat u want?
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:49am On Apr 13, 2020
GermanMelania:

Lets wait and see results? Not only coro de give cough. Before coro we for say na village people.

Like you said this happened in Bida we will hear more of it if and when coro spreads.
Just remember the first ekiti people. The "white American" guy was inconclusive. Yet he died Then his naija educated female was negative. But the uneducated driver was positive. I am just saying. That was fishy. Gov makinde fishy. Only him negative in 7 days.
Our capacity for this thing is very limited. The testing we're talking about, at first we were using reagents which means it can only be done in a lab. Now we're using those donated by the Chinese who have been a culprit in this mess.

I just suppose the weather and our exposure to chloroquine as kids is our deal breaker and of course relatively young population. But in terms of management, we're lagging far behind
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by babytoun: 8:58am On Apr 13, 2020
jaxxy:

Based on our level of exposure to the virus in a way i'm happy we haven't done so many test. With all the news we hear about contaminated probes or test kits and many other stories I'm definitely not in a hurry to do no test. If we ask how many nairalander wud like to do test I'm sure only very few will especially since they dont feel sick or show symptoms to raise concerns.

I also think tests causes panic and fear and that's brings with it different sets of issues. I wud like America to analyse how this virus spread so fast over there to the point people felt it had probably been there even b4 China bt was thought to be normal flu. This started only we people started getting tested and people suddenly started getting hospitalised as more test were being done and then dying. I'm trying to play out the scenariosin my head and it seems too strange unless u can see the clear lapses which led to a massive spread from an index case or even multiple index cases.

I can even understand or read the Italy situation better than America even though it was a fast spread also.

What is the essence of lockdown if we cant test properly and quickly so that those already infected can be isolated .?

Only God knows how things will look like in 3 weeks time
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by GermanMelania: 9:04am On Apr 13, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Our capacity for this thing is very limited. The testing we're talking about, at first we were using reagents which means it can only be done in a lab. Now we're using those donated by the Chinese who have been a culprit in this mess.

I just suppose the weather and our exposure to chloroquine as kids is our deal breaker and of course relatively young population. But in terms of management, we're lagging far behind

. Even if we do not test. Take a look at nursing homes in. The u.s. sometimes 30+ people died. That is a cluster. We should see that in nigeria. Without testing. It won't take 10 years. But weeks. Trump touted chloroquine based on his interests. Also they think it only works if taken in the early stages. Maybe we have some kind of immunity. I do not think som i honestly don't know what is going on. Other than we are not seeing cluster deaths.
Lets hear that 30 older meat men/women at 1 market all got sick and died. Then we have reasons to be very afraid. We haven't even had a bunch of old prominent people die. Remember we only have about 500 ventilators. Mostly in lagos abd even 1 in 2 people put on a ventilator will die. But cultures differ. Data out of china is different from italy that has an aging population and both are different from u.s data.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Seun(m): 9:07am On Apr 13, 2020
macjireh:

a lot of people who were negative became positive after d test.... is DAT wat u want?
If we feel that the test-kits may be contaminated, we can just test them. The Coronavirus has not been reported to last longer than a few days on any surface, so by now any virus on those test kits would have been inactivated. If we wish, we can sterilize them with cheap UV sterilizers.

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Baby In Pains As Her Head Continues To Swell Due To Medical Condition. Photos / COVID-19: 386 New Cases Reported, 10 Deaths And 78 Discharged On May 8 / See The Big Scorpion That Died In My Bucket (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.