Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) (54573 Views)

Don’t Know Your Next Career Move? Read This Short Summary! / Meet Kalengo Kamwendo, Zambia's Youngest Commercial Pilot / Sinmisola Ajibola: How Men Feel When They See Female Pilot In The Cockpit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by fashrola(m): 7:43pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

I know.
I am working with Bourbon - 1m in, 250k out.
6 weeks in/6 weeks out. I work on PSV and AHTS.
I have friends working on Durga Devi earning 55k/day as second mate and 90k/day as chief officer.
I can't come down to working on a security boat bro, up i go, never down.
I was called for a job with Mariteam last year January, 2.1m but unfortunately i was at work and lost the job.
I have a friend who works on Mo Tuncan - 2.1m per month as second.
But on average, the salary of a DP officer second mate roves around 1m
Also, indigenous companies like Awarise, Lahama, Temile etc pays second 1.2-1.4m while chief 1.5-1.8m per month

Yeah that's true.... They are only impressive indigenous company out there in terms of salary scale

Mariteam is very good due to their transparent salary scale

Tamrose is scaling up though....

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Mhimi007(m): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
miscellany:

What year? I’m an NCAA licensed flight dispatcher. NCAT Zaria was fun
wow that's nice am in my first year

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by messicruzzy: 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
Hmm interesting
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 7:47pm On Apr 13, 2020
fashrola:

Yeah that's true.... They are only impressive indigenous company out there in terms of salary scale

Mariteam is very good due to their transparent salary scale

Tamrose is scaling up though....

Yes, i forgot to add tamrose. A friend got job with them this January, second mate 1.5m
If not for this corona virus, i would have changed company too. It's really fulvcking my plans up.
Tide water offered me 1.8m as chief, Tosdere 65k per day while Walvis/Jason 1.4m/month.
Just weighing my options and job security.
Are you a deck officer or engine?
Which company you at?
Can we talk offline?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by brendan007: 7:48pm On Apr 13, 2020
superamoled:
Securing a pilot job in Nigeria is near impossible and I'm saying this as a commercial licensed pilot in Nigeria without a job even after obtaining my certificate of flight instructing and spending millions of Naira (sponsored) on building flight hours.

It feels like it was not worth pursuing and spending all that money on a dream that will be crushed by this country.

Anyone with a pilot job connections should please link me up. Willing to fly any type of plane (type rating required or not)

At what point would it be too late to pursue a dream in aviation?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by fashrola(m): 7:48pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Yes, i forgot to add tamrose. A friend got job with them this January, second mate 1.5m
If not for this corona virus, i would have changed company too. It's really fulvcking my plans up.
Tide water offered me 1.8m as chief, Tosdere 65k per day while Walvis/Jason 1.4m/month.
Just weighing my options and job security.
Are you a deck officer or engine?
Which company you at?
Can we talk offline?

Engine.... But currently working as Techlog Supt... Hoping to go back to sea again

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Oghenerobo2002(m): 7:52pm On Apr 13, 2020
kalvoken:
I'm only here to read for fun, I have no interest in flying birds neither do I know anything about it.

But as the saying goes, no knowledge is lost. one day my private pilot might get sick in time of emergency and I will have to fly my jet myself.
And get urself killed like one Danbaba Suntai.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Mhimi007(m): 7:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
Explorers:

And the courses you mentioned are calculations. Im not a science. I don't like calculations.
its mainly map-reading and its fun and you are explorers you will surely enjoy it
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Biingoo: 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2020
fashrola:

The pay is a bit higher if you are working on PSV or AHTS.... Especially if you have a DP, but that amount is not good enough for an SDPO

Is it an indigenous company?
Indigenous managed by an international company
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Fidelismaria: 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2020
RRWraith:

.I still have a mail from that flight school.
Application alone is about 800k
full training is approximately 70M

Jesus

70m?

shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by rinzaugustine: 7:57pm On Apr 13, 2020
Explorers:
The average salary of a Nigerian pilot depends on a number of factors. How experienced the pilot is, the Flying hours (how many hours he/she has flown), and Pilot’s personal ranking Rating types Company (the airline the pilot works for)

Every new pilot (who has no experience and has just graduated from an aviation college) usually has a NCAA license (it is called CPL or Commercial Pilot License) but does not have a rating yet.

He/she may have problems with finding a job right after the graduation and can only hope for ‎₦200,000 to ‎₦500,000 if lucky(in a good airline company) per month. This can only happen if the employer will send their new pilot to Type Rating courses.

Pilots who are first officers (FO) and senior first officers (SFO) meaning they do have their Type Rating can expect their salaries up to ‎₦800,000 per month. In their situation, the amount of money they are paid absolutely depends on the company that offers them a job, their experience and flying hours.

Salary of Captain, Local captains can expect a higher salary than new pilots.

Their average monthly salary depends on the company and their working hours. Depending on these factors, these Nigerian pilots might be paid from ‎₦500,000 to ‎₦1,500,000 Naira a month.

International captain/pilot flying for international companies can earn ‎₦2,000,000 per month.
Good investment..looks like only the Nigerian rich can afford it for their kids
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 7:58pm On Apr 13, 2020
fashrola:

Engine.... But currently working as Techlog Supt... Hoping to go back to sea again

Techlog? Never heard of them. Are they also marine company? In nigeria?
Do they have vessels? Ph or lagos?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by fashrola(m): 7:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Techlog? Never heard of them. Are they also marine company? In nigeria?
Do they have vessels? Ph or lagos?

I'm working as a Techlog superintendent
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by target100: 8:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
First you do not need physics, chemistry and the rest to become a pilot( that is Nigerian bullshit), just have your basic education and speak English.
No training school will promise you 1500hrs except you re going to instruct for them,
There re people who finished all their training spl to cpl in 7months,
Weldon for bringing the topic out but y'all should try and do it own research and ask alot of questions.
Fir existing pilot without Job's I wish you guys well and I believe soon you will get that all important call, however try bush pilot guys atleast you can keep the currency while gaining the hours and expecting the big one,
Prospective student pilots pls know that aviation schools must chop you, you cant dodge it , so when they tell you to plan for example 1m put ur budget on 1.3m atleast.
Dont rush and but books, borrow books then photocopy them ( nija style but careful make copyright to catch you)lastly with your waec or neco etc you can become a pilot and you do no need all the science student nonsense

4 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Skmoda(m): 8:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
RRWraith:

Tell us your experience, I am sure other aspiring pilots will love to hear from you

From my extensive research Florida is one of the best places to attend a flight school buh its cost of living, accomodation and is expensive..
And for the flight hours, I think you need 1500 flight hours to make it to the cockpit of the average airlines as co-pilot.
Its standard FAA requirement, i think it was formally 1000hours.

Another thing i got from my personal research a while ago was that not all student pilots make it to the cockpit...its expensive being a pilot and airlines are not willing to pay for training as much and only a few very expensive schools will give you 1500 flight hours and i didnt even find one of such schools in the US...you have to hustle for it and from private plane or light craft charters and per hours charters may range from about $300 to $700 or even more(cant remember vividly, been a while) that leaves a student to hustle really hard enough to fend for himself and also to afford to accumulate flight hours enough to even be considered by any cheap airline. It hard out there unless you have rich parents or sponsors or a good scholarship.

My 2 cents

MODIFIED: I just remember i did stumble on one flight school that guarantees training and the required 1500 flight hours on the Airbus A320 and A321neo to get you on any commercial airline. buh its not even in the US and its very expensive...I still have a mail from that flight school.
Application alone is about 800k
full training is approximately 70M
The school is PEA in Daytona, Florida..... tuition fees and every every $75000.......for CPL...multi engines
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Awe4luv(m): 8:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
dexpendable:
Lol why would anyone who wants to become an international pilot study in Nigeria. You even called the cpl a document to earn.

Please let's do proper fact checking before we come up posting.

You can ask questions. And let's discuss further.
u dont have to water down the gentle mans effort,u can post your own here on the comment section let us read, I know u know everything u just dont wanna tell us.......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 8:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
fashrola:

I'm working as a Techlog superintendent

Sent you a PM.
Let us talk offline.
About you working at sea, i guess you have chief engineer license and if so, from which country, your working experience and license limitations.
I can connect you with Tide water crewing manager if you don't mind offshore jobs.
I heard they pay chief engineers around 1.8m

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Awe4luv(m): 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2020
I dont need to go to any pilot school, coz I believe I can fly, believe it and you can achieve.....
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Explorers(m): 8:08pm On Apr 13, 2020
Mhimi007:
its mainly map-reading and its fun and you are explorers you will surely enjoy it

Lol.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 8:09pm On Apr 13, 2020
brendan007:

At what point would it be too late to pursue a dream in aviation?

It's never too late as long as you're healthy and can pass your medical exam
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by lereinter(m): 8:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
Well done Boss

Nice thread again

Good to meet you
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Anyanwu2003(f): 8:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
Many info here are wrong
You will get a PPL license , instruments license, CPL license, then Multi engine license to qualify for a job.
Next line CFI or airline , CFI it's an instructor license used to build flight time to 1500hrs TT and ATPL most airlines abroad require(USA). But most African countries and few others, will hire a low timer . 250hrs from flight school. If it's their citizen as cadets. In Nigeria Pay is 200k till you pass the typerating course
Then sent for a typerating course B737, 747, Airbus a320 et all. Course average 20k euros.. Excluding accommodation, feeding and tickets.. Some self sponsor just to get the job.
Then start line training , which is very difficult for some. If able to pass you become a FO, first officer. Pay is 50% of Captain salary.
After 1500 total time you go for the final license called ATPL, airline transport license. Then become a senior first officer SFO. Rumeration is 75% of Captain salary. After 4000 to 5000 hrs if company deem you fit, you go for Captain upgrade course to become a captain. Average captain pay in Nigeria is 3million a month. But better in China or middle east. Ie Emirates package for SFO is 200k USD a year.. That's 108k salary tax free, 48k USD for 3 kids education a year. Rest 44k USD is accommodation. Note: Dubia is very expensive too. Keep the dream alive . Goodluck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 8:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
rotormast:

My IG is @isleepieatifly, we can exchange digits on IG

Sent you a DM on ig
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by NoChill: 8:21pm On Apr 13, 2020
Explorers:
There are several main stages of becoming a pilot.

Aviation schools in Nigeria: Stage 1

Before you choose your aviation school, you have to learn the following important things about your future profession:

1. You will study a lot to become a pilot.
2. You will have to pay a lot for your education.

How much does it cost to study for a pilot?

The special aviation schools in Nigeria can cost ‎₦7,000,000 - ‎₦9,000,000. This is very expensive, but if you choose to go abroad (United States or South Africa) and study, then you will have to pay way more.

Nigeria Civil Aviation Training Centre (NCAT), Zaria is one and cost ‎₦8,000,000 - ₦9,000,000.

You can get state or political sponsorship or find an airline company that can pay for your studies, offer you a scholarship or financial support (in return, you will have to work for it after graduation) and minimize your expenses.

Another option is going through the Nigeria Defense Academy, then join Nigerian Air force training.

There are more than 35 aviation schools in Nigeria. When the time comes to choose, make sure it is officially approved by the Federal Aviation Association shortly known as FAA. Every school has its own set of rule.

At your school, you will be studying theory, mathematics, physics, Geography and have regular classes (While instruments will do the vast majority of the things you will learn in school, but you still will need to know what to do in case they fail or malfunction. You will need to know how to do things like plot a course from A to B, calculate safe flight weights, and calculate altitude density).

You will also have to practise.

For about a year or two years, you should get real flight lessons to learn how to fly and fly some hours.

Wait o this 7m they will pay for studying is it per session or the full course duration
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by AreaFada2: 8:21pm On Apr 13, 2020
Okay.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tundex572(m): 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
Awesome
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Marine engineer graduate or another course?
Also, do you have STCW and other related certificates?
Which school did you graduated from?
I'm in my finals mechanical engineering in of the the universities around north. please, where do I start from?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Psalmspsalms: 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Marine engineer graduate or another course?
Also, do you have STCW and other related certificates?
Which school did you graduated from?
No, not marine engineering. Its environmental engineering I studied at federal university of agriculture here in Benue state.
Also, I don't have any of those certificates. I just thought there is a way I can start up something there.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 8:28pm On Apr 13, 2020
;
CoronaVirusPro:
Rather go to Edo state aviation school
grin grin
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Fhemmmy: 8:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
dexpendable:
Lol why would anyone who wants to become an international pilot study in Nigeria. You even called the cpl a document to earn.

Please let's do proper fact checking before we come up posting.

You can ask questions. And let's discuss further.

This is why others have information and they sit on it without sharing, instead of knocking the man down, try to come up with your own information and share, or complement what he has done with more information, and make this thread a complete "How to a commercial pilot" instead of rubbishing what he has done . . .Learn to appreciate what others did, no matter how little

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Randal: 8:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Not different from what sailors earn and the courses are a bit cheaper than pilots.
I am a second officer and depending on company, certificate and experience you will get between 250k to 2.2m at my level sailing offshore or holding a north to south africa sailing ticket/license

I've been interested in sailing jobs for long. How do one begin their journey of becoming a sailor and captain of a ship?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by bisi16(m): 8:33pm On Apr 13, 2020
Got some flight time before I left school. Enough calculations o! So if you’re not good at math and physics, you’ll struggle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

COVID-19: Which Professions Earn More Money During This Pandemic? / Unimaginable Mass Job Losses Loom In Nigeria / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.