Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,851 members, 7,802,729 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) (54582 Views)

Don’t Know Your Next Career Move? Read This Short Summary! / Meet Kalengo Kamwendo, Zambia's Youngest Commercial Pilot / Sinmisola Ajibola: How Men Feel When They See Female Pilot In The Cockpit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by fashrola(m): 1:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
Godsfavour78:
what qualifications do i need to work as techlog sut sir?

1. at least 3-4 years experience as a marine engineer onboard
2. III/3 License
3. Proficient in Planned Maintenance System software
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by domido(m): 3:09pm On Apr 14, 2020
TheAviator:

You got it wrong. Nobody listed it as one of the profession one does not need to go to school for. Please, go and read it again and try to comprehend it.

Alright
Seen

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 6:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
mosquitoway:

You can apply to canada for permanent residence under the express entry system: NOC 2271: Air pilots, flight engineers and flying instructors.It takes some effort and you will need to show proof of funds.

I will look into that. Thanks you
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 14, 2020
emmaodet:

Well, i think your best bet is to do some marine/offshore related courses like HSE courses after which you can apply for HSE/Surveyors jobs but without experience in those sectors, it will be hard to get a job.

Thanks for everything, after this epidemic will do that.

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by ElValiente(m): 10:52pm On Apr 14, 2020
Kudos to Pilots. just this Runway Safety i did yesterday i failed once and passed it at last omo e no easy. https://www.aopa.org/lms/courses/runway-safety/ if i can u can. pm me ill assist.

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by ElValiente(m): 10:55pm On Apr 14, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:
Rather go to Edo state aviation school
Bro sorry, thats naija for u. my friend did the same dude went to zimbabawe flying small planes tracking poachers with some Canadian guys. from there they sent him to usa for a course he stayed back flying small plane carrying missionary in usa now he got in to Delta airlines. flying inter states. God is with u.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by RRWraith(m): 11:41pm On Apr 14, 2020
opeey:

same with aerocadet, but would like to know the training school you are talking about
I have checked aerocadet and I am impressed especially about the cost...are you really sure about that cost?
Its still above my reach tho

The school I am talking about is alphaflightacademy UAE
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by wwwtortoise(m): 11:48pm On Apr 14, 2020
emmaodet:

Thanks bro and you too.
Which company do you work for?

Mariteam Nig.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 11:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Mariteam Nig.

Waooooooo
Help a brother bro
Wish to work there.
How can we hook up offline?
Can i have your number?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by wwwtortoise(m): 12:02am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Waooooooo
Help a brother bro
Wish to work there.
How can we hook up offline?
Can i have your number?

Send me a pm Sir.
You know this is a public platform.

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 12:07am On Apr 15, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Send me a pm Sir.

PM sent.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 6:21am On Apr 15, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Send me a pm Sir.

Have sent you a Pm but you haven't replied.
Still waiting for you.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Naijagram(m): 6:54am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Not different from what sailors earn and the courses are a bit cheaper than pilots.
I am a second officer and depending on company, certificate and experience you will get between 250k to 2.2m at my level sailing offshore or holding a north to south africa sailing ticket/license

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 6:57am On Apr 15, 2020
Naijagram:

Wow! Nice one sir! Do you know if South Africa offers ETO COC?

Are you an electrician?
I know of ghana
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Naijagram(m): 7:13am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

I know.
I am working with Bourbon - 1m in, 250k out.
6 weeks in/6 weeks out. I work on PSV and AHTS.
I have friends working on Durga Devi earning 55k/day as second mate and 90k/day as chief officer.
I can't come down to working on a security boat bro, up i go, never down.
I was called for a job with Mariteam last year January, 2.1m but unfortunately i was at work and lost the job.
I have a friend who works on Mo Tuncan - 2.1m per month as second.
But on average, the salary of a DP officer second mate roves around 1m
Also, indigenous companies like Awarise, Lahama, Temile etc pays second 1.2-1.4m while chief 1.5-1.8m per month
I'm in the industry and giving you facts even backing it up with company names and vessels.
I have friends working on NLNG tankers, don't let us even talk go there. Those guys are walking in money. International trade and license
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Naijagram(m): 7:13am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Are you an electrician?
I know of ghana
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:02am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Are you an electrician?
I know of ghana
Bro you should also let the youngsters know about the serious unemployment in the maritime industry. Getting a cadetship position to advance your career is extremely difficult now because of the excess supply. Most people even work for free if they get the chance to or they pay to get those positions.

It's post like yours and some other guys that made my parents force me to go and study marine engineering. I have a degree in marine engineering and out of 75 of us that graduated only around 14 have jobs presently. It's not really something I would advise anyone to study. Technically, anyone can work on a ship. My first job out of school was with an NGO and that was cause of my tenacity and our chief engineer then from Spain never ever worked on a ship in his life. He learnt everything about working on ships with the NGO. One of our sister ships, it's second engineer was a French lawyer.

I won't advise anyone to get into this field presently and with oil dwindling down its just going to get much worse.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 8:41am On Apr 15, 2020
Naijagram:

Please do you know how much ETOs earn?

The ones i know and worked with earn between 900k-1.5m
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 8:49am On Apr 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bro you should also let the youngsters know about the serious unemployment in the maritime industry. Getting a cadetship position to advance your career is extremely difficult now because of the excess supply. Most people even work for free if they get the chance to or they pay to get those positions.

It's post like yours and some other guys that made my parents force me to go and study marine engineering. I have a degree in marine engineering and out of 75 of us that graduated only around 14 have jobs presently. It's not really something I would advise anyone to study. Technically, anyone can work on a ship. My first job out of school was with an NGO and that was cause of my tenacity and our chief engineer then from Spain never ever worked on a ship in his life. He learnt everything about working on ships with the NGO. One of our sister ships, it's second engineer was a French lawyer.

I won't advise anyone to get into this field presently and with oil dwindling down its just going to get much worse.

I know bro and i get you.
It's hard out there but if by chance you scale through and get a job, i think it is worth it.
There is unemployment in virtually every sector even including the low paying jobs like teaching not to talk of a good job like sailing or pilot.
Anywhere there is money, there is always fierce competition or do you think you are the only one who likes money? Or who likes to live a good life?
From being a medical doctor to pilot to sailor to oil and gas/offshore down to teaching, there is unemployment bro and that was why if you checked my earlier post on this thread about the industry, i advised a guy to rather study Artificial Intelligence, Robotic science or Remote control/operation instead of marine because the world is changing due to technology/5G and also increase in alternative and eco friendly energies like solar, nuclear etc.
Sorry for what you are passing through, i will advice you go through ratings route because it is easier getting a job as oiler or ordinary seaman/Able seaman than cadet.
Also, you should know what we discussed about was the salary range and not unemployment rate.
Even in football, we all only look at the salaries of footballers - messi, ronaldo, ighalo and not the sheer numbers of guys who won't make it in the industry.
Alot of guys played their asses out at pepsi academy, street football, Barcelona or club kids academy and never make it.
Some are now farmers, okada rider but we all aren't seeing that.
Life is crazy bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:54am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

I know bro and i get you.
It's hard out there but if by chance you scale through and get a job, i think it is worth it.
There is unemployment in virtually every sector even including the low paying jobs like teaching not to talk of a good job like sailing or pilot.
Anywhere there is money, there is always fierce competition or do you think you are the only one who likes money? Or who likes to live a good life?
From being a medical doctor to pilot to sailor to oil and gas/offshore down to teaching, there is unemployment bro and that was why if you checked my earlier post on this thread about the industry, i advised a guy to rather study Artificial Intelligence, Robotic science or Remote control/operation instead of marine because the world is changing due to technology/5G and also increase in alternative and eco friendly energies like solar, nuclear etc.
Sorry for what you are passing through, i will advice you go through ratings route because it is easier getting a job as oiler or ordinary seaman/Able seaman than cadet.
Absolutely not I hate the industry terribly. Plus the industry has no future especially with the advancement of AI and dwindling oil prices. AI technology would be applied to ships and could reduce manpower onboard by over 60 percent.

Doctors have it so much better abeg. It's only in Nigeria that doctors are very poorly paid and not respected even poor Liberia pays their doctors hazard allowance of 800 dollars a month. It's also much easier to migrate out of Nigeria as a doctor PLAB or USMLE than it is with any other course. I doubt a marine engineer from Nigeria can even work in US waters because of the prevalent Jones act. Medicine is still the best science course anyone can study and once the pandemic is contained, the demand for doctors will be through the roof.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 9:11am On Apr 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Absolutely not I hate the industry terribly. Plus the industry has no future especially with the advancement of AI and dwindling oil prices. AI technology would be applied to ships and could reduce manpower onboard by over 60 percent.

Doctors have it so much better abeg. It's only in Nigeria that doctors are very poorly paid and not respected even poor Liberia pays their doctors hazard allowance of 800 dollars a month. It's also much easier to migrate out of Nigeria as a doctor PLAB or USMLE than it is with any other course. I doubt a marine engineer from Nigeria can even work in US waters because of the prevalent Jones act. Medicine is still the best science course anyone can study and once the pandemic is contained, the demand for doctors will be through the roof.

Check my first reply to you, i modified the post.
Believe me, even medical doctors won't be spared with AI, most will go out of jobs.
The best option now is to diversify into different investment portfolios like digital agriculture, physical business, real estate etc.
Because even as an entrepreneur, having one business will be suicide.
A very funny world is coming bro
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:14am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Check my first reply to you, i modified the post.
Believe me, even medical doctors won't be spared with AI, most will go out of jobs.
The best option now is to diversify into different investment portfolios like digital agriculture, physical business, real estate etc.
Because even as an entrepreneur, having one business will be suicide.
A very funny world is coming bro
Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is very hard men. Well everyone must learn to program a computer eventually. In the next 20 years, it will be super hard to get even a basic job without some programming skills. Because the AI systems would be programmed, maintained and codebases updated.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by wwwtortoise(m): 9:19am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Have sent you a Pm but you haven't replied.
Still waiting for you.

Replied !
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 9:24am On Apr 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is very hard men. Well everyone must learn to program a computer eventually. In the next 20 years, it will be super hard to get even a basic job without some programming skills. Because the AI systems would be programmed, maintained and codebases updated.

Hmmmmmmmm
Na wa ooooo
Seems life is about getting harder.
Are you working onboard presently? Which company?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:28am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Hmmmmmmmm
Na wa ooooo
Seems life is about getting harder.
Are you working onboard presently? Which company?
I left. I had a business I was running but men it was getting so difficult and then this pandemic. Shutting it down later this year. I was freelancing as a marketer but presently learning front end web development.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 9:37am On Apr 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I left. I had a business I was running but men it was getting so difficult and then this pandemic. Shutting it down later this year. I was freelancing as a marketer but presently learning front end web development.

Na wa oooooo.
Sometimes, i just think life is a bitch.
Sometimes, i feel like doing illegal things to make sweet and quick money because going to school, looking for job, doing the job, staying on the job is quite hard mehhnnnnnn
At the end of the day, you have little or none to show for it. Even business is not spared out, quite hard to run business too.
I envy drug dealers, bunker guys etc alot bro, a lot.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:51am On Apr 15, 2020
emmaodet:

Na wa oooooo.
Sometimes, i just think life is a bitch.
Sometimes, i feel like doing illegal things to make sweet and quick money because going to school, looking for job, doing the job, staying on the job is quite hard mehhnnnnnn
At the end of the day, you have little or none to show for it. Even business is not spared out, quite hard to run business too.
I envy drug dealers, bunker guys etc alot bro, a lot.
The problem honestly is being black and living in this shithole Nigeria. Westerners have so much opportunities. In the Uk, if you are interested in being a marine engineer, there are literally hundreds of companies ready to sponsor your education and provide you work experience alongside. I met a german boy on the ship I worked with. Dude is just 17 and passed out of high school. He told me he just came on the ship to figure out what he wants to do with his life. Our captain then a 28 year old Australian had a ship back in his home country. The problem is Africa. The continent is totally useless and stupid. American marine engineers graduate with their certificate of competency alongside their degrees and due to the jones act have a plethora of jobs. They do not even work outside the US. I can never have children in this hellhole. If I cannot leave, heaven knows I would not procreate. I cannot live through this wickedness and hopelessness and bring someone to it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 15, 2020
RRWraith:

Tell us your experience, I am sure other aspiring pilots will love to hear from you

From my extensive research Florida is one of the best places to attend a flight school buh its cost of living, accomodation and is expensive..
And for the flight hours, I think you need 1500 flight hours to make it to the cockpit of the average airlines as co-pilot.
Its standard FAA requirement, i think it was formally 1000hours.

Another thing i got from my personal research a while ago was that not all student pilots make it to the cockpit...its expensive being a pilot and airlines are not willing to pay for training as much and only a few very expensive schools will give you 1500 flight hours and i didnt even find one of such schools in the US...you have to hustle for it and from private plane or light craft charters and per hours charters may range from about $300 to $700 or even more(cant remember vividly, been a while) that leaves a student to hustle really hard enough to fend for himself and also to afford to accumulate flight hours enough to even be considered by any cheap airline. It hard out there unless you have rich parents or sponsors or a good scholarship.

My 2 cents

MODIFIED: I just remember i did stumble on one flight school that guarantees training and the required 1500 flight hours on the Airbus A320 and A321neo to get you on any commercial airline. buh its not even in the US and its very expensive...I still have a mail from that flight school.
Application alone is about 800k
full training is approximately 70M
Please reply DM
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by opeey(m): 6:58pm On Apr 15, 2020
RRWraith:

I have checked aerocadet and I am impressed especially about the cost...are you really sure about that cost?
Its still above my reach tho

The school I am talking about is alphaflightacademy UAE
OK.. I will check the school.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Godsfavour78: 10:39pm On Apr 15, 2020
fashrola:

1. at least 3-4 years experience as a marine engineer onboard
2. III/3 License
3. Proficient in Planned Maintenance System software

thanks sir. What maintenance system software do you use?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Mhimi007(m): 10:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
ElValiente:
Kudos to Pilots. just this Runway Safety i did yesterday i failed once and passed it at last omo e no easy. https://www.aopa.org/lms/courses/runway-safety/ if i can u can. pm me ill assist.
yeah please what is the site all about tried registering but was'nt geting anywhere or is it an app?

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 11:44pm On Apr 15, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

COVID-19: Which Professions Earn More Money During This Pandemic? / Unimaginable Mass Job Losses Loom In Nigeria / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.