Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures (11344 Views)

COVID-19: Enugu State Bans Cross-Over Night Activities / COVID-19: Enugu State Starts Disinfection Of Markets and Parks (Pictures) / COVID-19: Enugu Approves Assurance Package For Doctors, Other Health Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by OEPHIUS(m): 5:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
A cross section of Enugu residents and the state chapter of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) have hailed the decision of the Enugu North Local Government Council to close the Tomato section of Akwatta Market in Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, describing it as a clarion call answered.

The state residents and students also applauded the Enugu State Government for closing all the markets in the state as one of the precautionary measures to contain the spread of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in the state.

It would be recalled that the Chairman of Enugu North LGA, Hon. Emeka Onunze, on March 23, 2020, shut down the Akwatta Market, in response to the disturbing poor hygiene of the sub-section of the Ogbete Main Market, Enugu and its environmental consequences on the health and wellbeing of the people, especially at this moment of COVID-19 pandemic.

Shortly after that, the state government on March 27, 2020, closed all markets, land boundaries and inter-state transportation, which took effect from Tuesday, April 1, 2020.

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, accompanied by the State Commissioner for Police, the Director of Department of State Services (DSS), among others, on April 1, 2020, monitored compliance with the directive at the Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, where the traders hailed the governor for his proactive measures.

Reacting to the development, some state residents said that the decisions by the Enugu State government and Enugu North LGA were timely and in the best interest of the public, stressing that any move to ensure strict adherence to social distancing protocol of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) should be supported.

A resident of New Haven, Enugu, Barr. Chukwuemeka Okeke, said that he was impressed that the state government has taken “decisive measures to ensure that this deadly virus called COVID-19 does not spread in this state”.

Barr. Okeke added that the closure of Akwatta Market by Enugu North LGA, to enable the Council upgrade the market to standard for conducive business transactions, is “a welcome development.”

Mrs. Ngozi Amanze, a trader at Abakpa Nike market said that “I support the decision of Gburugburu to close the markets to save our people from this dangerous disease they called Coronavirus. Even though it is not easy for you, but you have to be alive to make money. We thank the governor for protecting us.”

Another resident, Emmanuel Eke, warned that COVID-19 pandemic is a serious global health challenge that should not be played politics with, maintaining that “the actions of the Enugu State Government are in order and should be supported by all well-meaning residents of this state”.

Also speaking, the State Chairman of NANS, Comrade Romanus Ogene, said that the students are in support of all the precautionary measures by the state government to contain COVID-19 in the state, including the closure of Akwatta Market, Enugu, the entire Ogbete Main Market and other markets in the state.

Comrade Ogene stated that the students are worried that some self-serving politicians with their eyes on the 2023 elections have taken delight in twisting facts in Enugu State, using the social media platforms to mislead the public at the expense of truth.

“It has come to our knowledge that some politicians are now using some people to fabricate lies, all aimed at the next elections. This is condemnable and must be discouraged. Let these sponsors wait till 2023.”

The students, therefore, called on residents of Enugu State to be wary of the handiwork of such mischief makers and disregard media reports that residents of the state are unhappy with the closure of Akwatta Market and others. `

https://thecitizenng.com/covid-19-enugu-residents-nans-hail-closure-of-akwatta-market-other-measures/

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by OtemAtum: 5:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Ok
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Tobinrobin(m): 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
As you’ve Closed the market is commendable, the next is to give them relief supplies or palliatives

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by shakyum: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
the government should also remember that HUNG-20 is deadlier than COVID-19.

If 500mb is not small for you, hit the link on my signature

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Mrcarrott(m): 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
That's very good
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Simplyleo: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
Similar instructions were given in other states, no difference. But as usual, watch how the same beings who insulted the hell out of the leadership of those states on account of lack of relief materials now praise exactly same approach even without the said relief.

I still don't understand how people can be this comfortable saying something and be denying same on different fronts. How, as in, how do they do it?

5 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Joefat: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
Isokay
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by momodub: 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2020
Ok na
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by jericco1(m): 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2020
A lot of money about to go down the drain undecided
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Grandamante: 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2020
I have noticed that almost all ur news update concerns Enugu state, and they are always about commending the state government.

I am wondering, is Enugu state and its government an Utopia or are u so "full-glassed" that u only see the good deeds or perhaps u are among the government.

10 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Jeromejnr(m): 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2020
More confirmed cases to be released today.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by TriCee: 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
This stay at home parole no funny again o.

...and to think there's no cure in sight yet.
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Obatolysis(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
They will soon complain in few months time
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Babatunde40(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
We should start working towards moving away from the kind of open markets in Nigeria. It will help in cleaning cities
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by CoronaVirusPro: 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
NANS grin grin grin

The most useless association in Nigeria.

They can hail and give awards to anything when the pay is right

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by NwaNimo1(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
There is no 5g in Enugu......just rotten tomatoes?
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by freshkpomo(m): 5:32pm On Apr 13, 2020
One major problem in this country is the fact that citizens commend the government for doing the job they are been paid for,making them see it as a favour at their own end. It is well.

God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by depezee(m): 5:32pm On Apr 13, 2020
They will soon go against the lock-down when hunger come knock at their doors.
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by gbaskiboy: 5:33pm On Apr 13, 2020
Enugu Amaka
I came from Nomeh in Nkanu east,
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Martini101(m): 5:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
Louis Amoke

10 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 13, 2020
Someone should pls help me with 2k :-Xpls I’m starving ..I haven’t eat since yesterday..May Giver never lack

Keystone Bank
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 13, 2020
I pray to Almighty God by his mighty power to continue to be healing those that have already been texted positive for this useless coronavirus in abundance.... And continue by his mighty power to continue to be protecting us from been contacting it... no matter how bad it is, it will never know it way and direction to our household including all our friends and all our neighbors amen
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by Harrison4adam(m): 5:35pm On Apr 13, 2020
What is so hard in paying people with BVN , why this tribalism poorest of the poor scheme.
Abi, na which kind demonic country be this?
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by freshkpomo(m): 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2020
depezee:
They will soon go against the lock-down when hunger come knock at their doors.
I tell you.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by RepentanceSure: 5:37pm On Apr 13, 2020
Audio Closure, I'm presently in Enugu metropolis and I SMH reading news and asking myself if there's another Ogbete or Abakpa market.
The worst is Abakpa with its Timid population that comes out to buy and sell amidst this pandemic.

Not everything you read in media is real, I still have doubts about the cases and fight for Covid 19 in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Enugu Residents, NANS, Hail Closure Of Akwatta Market, Other Measures by fineboynl(m): 5:41pm On Apr 13, 2020
people are hungry here oh. and price of food has increased. hungry man indomie use to be 150 now 170. water use to be 100 now 150. yam of 500 now 900. everything is on the up. yet businesses are closed up. loan application branch and carbon keep disturbing me to pay them their money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Femi Adesina Blames Nigeria’s Security Challenges On ‘Evil Forces" / Buratai Visits Onitsha, Tasks Army On Professionalism / Magu: SERAP Drags Senate To UN; "Allegations Against Him Politically Motivated"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.