Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) (46073 Views)

President Buhari Addresses Nigerians On EndSARS Protests (Live Updates) / President Buhari Addresses Nigerians On Coronavirus (Live Updates) / Coronavirus: Buhari “Addresses” Nigerians On COVID-19 (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by weareok(m): 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2020
I know this is not right but things have been really hard lately..I really need financial assistance
Zenith Bank
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by DEADALIVE: 7:57pm On Apr 13, 2020
Neoteny7:

I didn't need any speech to know that the extension is necessary and logical
That's my point exactly since you already know it is necessary and logical....will you still know that it would be necessary and logical to extend it in may because china have started recording new cases after their unlock down?

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Lisa001: 7:57pm On Apr 13, 2020
rastamouse:
I want to bless someone with 20 dollars. That's my widow's mite. Anyone who really needs it should quote this message with bank details. Please I can give to only one person so it will be the first person obviously.

Please if you know you have something to feed on, don't block someone's opportunity. It will not be well with you if you take the poor person's food from him or her.
Any amount will go a long way pls
6230747493 Fidelity bank Omolola Hannah
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:58pm On Apr 13, 2020
Fhemmmy:

I am listening to his address for the first time and i was surprised that he wasn't questioned at all . . . I was hoping to hear what the journalist will ask him and hope he will be able to answer, but the dude just came and read his notes and walk away? No need for address then, he could have just send his note to the newsroom to read it for him.

You are right but that is how Buhari does his things. Remove that paper and snow might start falling in Nigeria when he speaks.

Manage what you see than us having severe cold in this Covik 1-9 era. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by duchaB(m): 7:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
Criminals are terrorising hoods oh! Security needs to be beefed up. No be only to dey enfore cessation of movement.
Our security operatives should step up their game. They are needed now more than ever.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Neoteny7: 8:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
DEADALIVE:

That's my point exactly since you already know it is necessary and logical....will you still know that it would be necessary and logical to extend it in may because china have started recording new cases after their unlock down?

The cases in china are imported infections, and that's the whole point towards global lockdown: we're only as secure as the last infected country.

If we don't find a cure or vaccine then we'd have to stay until the virus burns out, else people will travel and introduce a second wave of infections.

Staying home and lockdowns is how china defeated its first wave, it's how Italy and Spain rode out their epidemics, and now new york and the UK are seeing a flattening of the infamous curve.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by medolab90(m): 8:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
My question is how are they planning to cushion the effect of this lockdown??

Many people have lost their jobs, businesses closed down, Relationships are down, Pple living on daily income are finding it hard to feed.

And all you could say is sit at home sit at home without giving the pple anything. I kuku trust my pple make tommorow come whether una no go see us outside.

Nonsense government
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Shugah(f): 8:05pm On Apr 13, 2020
sad
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 13, 2020
Commentor:

Your fake ex.
grin

Hahahahahaha
Ex left me because of long distance ooo and we are still in torch
We didn't break up because for any negativity
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 13, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

This is not the job for politicians and Civil servants alone. Most of the top brains are in the private sector and Academic Institutions.

I have been waiting for the Federal Government to reach out to them for solutions to fast track and stop the suffering of the country.
That exactly is what the call on those key ministries will translate to in the coming weeks. The economy can't run itself without contributions from the private sector...

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Mizwisdom(f): 8:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
duchaB:
Criminals are terrorising hoods oh! Security needs to be beefed up. No be only to dey enfore cessation of movement.
Our security operatives should step up their game. They are needed now more than ever.

See them, able bodied men crying for protection on social media if you like don't gather your friends to defend your hood especially now that everyone is less busy, tueh

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by ojaysam25(m): 8:15pm On Apr 13, 2020
chai . ..when all this go end na...me self don tire...this lockdown is not working...they have been more confirm cases and death toll since this lockdown begins.. abeg government should relax the lockdown if no palliative measure is been put in place...i m so much afraid of huvid20 than covid19
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by isotopy(m): 8:19pm On Apr 13, 2020
I really appreciate the person that credited my account this night. you really don't know what you have done for me. God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Apr 13, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You are right but that is how Buhari does his things. Remove that paper and snow might start falling in Nigeria when he speaks.

Manage what you see than us having severe cold in this Covik 1-9 era. cheesy

So sad

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Samysimpson: 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
Pls which flag is there beside the president after the National flag, is that the new APC flag? Or is it any arm forces flag?
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2020
Mizwisdom:

See them, able bodied men crying for protection on social media if you like don't gather your friends to defend your hood especially now that everyone is less busy, tueh

Government cant provide electricity, good roads and good health care system . . . .Now they can't protect the citizens of the nation, then what are they useful for, only to steal from the coffers?
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Soulsymbol99: 8:26pm On Apr 13, 2020
kollinz1234:
Your Excellency talk your nonsense and go. Nothing you have said that has ever changed this country. Your words to Nigeria as a nation is as useless as my words to Nigeria as a country.

I think most of us nw knw beta why they wia looking @ him like that
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
medolab90:
My question is how are they planning to cushion the effect of this lockdown??

Many people have lost their jobs, businesses closed down, Relationships are down, Pple living on daily income are finding it hard to feed.

And all you could say is sit at home sit at home without giving the pple anything. I kuku trust my pple make tommorow come whether una no go see us outside.

Nonsense government

I am sure billions has been donated to the government to take care of the people in need BUT the stupid government won't have a proper plan to make sure they need gets to those that need it and the wickedness in the heart of people will sure steal most of what the needy needs and has been donated to them . . . Anyone that contribute to this government is WICKED, there are better ways to distribute to the needy directly.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by wallarwallar(m): 8:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
rastamouse:
I want to bless someone with 20 dollars. That's my widow's mite. Anyone who really needs it should quote this message with bank details. Please I can give to only one person so it will be the first person obviously.

Please if you know you have something to feed on, don't block someone's opportunity. It will not be well with you if you take the poor person's food from him or her.

Not sure if I will be d first bt sometime wonders happen 3018702607 first bank
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by medolab90(m): 8:35pm On Apr 13, 2020
Fhemmmy:

I am sure billions has been donated to the government to take care of the people in need BUT the stupid government won't have a proper plan to make sure they need gets to those that need it and the wickedness in the heart of people will sure steal most of what the needy needs and has been donated to them . . . Anyone that contribute to this government is WICKED, there are better ways to distribute to the needy directly.

Bro I'm just tired of everything this country is so frustrating.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Fhemmmy: 8:37pm On Apr 13, 2020
medolab90:

Bro I'm just tired of everything this country is so frustrating.

I am even surprised that the mosquitoes are still biting people because they should have been tired of the mess in that nation . . .Pathetic

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Yankee101: 8:40pm On Apr 13, 2020
[s]1k per person truly in need. No new accounts. Quote me[/s]

Closed. We have enough for today

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Reference(m): 8:47pm On Apr 13, 2020
Neoteny7:

Spain and italy both went through their periods of lockdowns, and only considered easement when things improved a little.

We've not reached anywhere near our peak, so it's too early to talk about easing.

27 billion dollars is almost nothing for 1.3 billion people in india.

I thought your argument was against the lockdown, not the social cushions.

The lockdown in Europe and America is primarily to prevent the health system from being overwhelmed not to rid the country of the virus. Viruses cannot be eradicated from society particularly influenza viruses.

Our goverment is not telling us the specific reason why they are locking down, what problems they are addressing by slowing down the tempo of society.

That is what I looked for in the speech. What were they not able to do last two weeks that they are able to do now that points to an exit strategy.

If not we will continue this lockdown without end. Influenza is not ebola. Cases will take years to zero out without a vaccine. Will we wait that long in lockdown.

The strategy of most successful countries such as Korea, New Zealand and Germany has been rigorous testing to determine who has the virus so that they can be either treated or isolated far ahead of them spreading it.

These are countries with populations in fractions of Nigeria's with testing ten, twenty times ours. If they are only opening thier economies after two months you can imagine how long it will take Nigeria to open up with just 1,500 tests a day.

That is why I repeatedly ask for a specific alternate strategy which may or may not require lockdowns. Remember not every country is in lockdown. Japan, Turkey amongst several countries have alternative programs to total lockdown and are doing well. It is not the lockdown that matters but what you do with it.

Lockdown is merely a tool of social distancing just like anaesthesia is a tool of surgery. If you put a patient to sleep and do nothing what do you gain. You can extend the anaesthesia all you like, the patient will not improve without a treatment strategy.

I repeat again the NCDC should not be the sole determinant of this game play. Pandemics are far more than health issues.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Esji80(m): 8:49pm On Apr 13, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

The same frontline Health workers the health minister of Nigeria does not know if they are receiving Hazard allowance.
In d coming weeks ; something good will be done for them

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by doggedfighter(f): 8:50pm On Apr 13, 2020
Yankee101:
1k per person truly in need. No new accounts. Quote me
0032017639 diamond
Received, much thanks
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Demmama7(m): 9:05pm On Apr 13, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 13, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Sometimes I wonder the kind of people behind some monikers. Many of you are just too foolish it’s unreal.

With everything happening, your only problem and concern is how ‘able bodied men’ can’t take up arms and face these hoodlums/thieves?

So much for being miss wisdom. Your foolishness is worse than Covid-19

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Neoteny7: 9:08pm On Apr 13, 2020
Reference:

The lockdown in Europe and America is primarily to prevent the health system from being overwhelmed not to rid the country of the virus. Viruses cannot be eradicated from society particularly influenza viruses.

Our goverment is not telling us the specific reason why they are locking down, what problems they are addressing by slowing down the tempo of society.

That is what I looked for in the speech. What were they not able to do last two weeks that they are able to do now that points to an exit strategy.

If not we will continue this lockdown without end. Influenza is not ebola. Cases will take years to zero out without a vaccine. Will we wait that long in lockdown.

The strategy of most successful countries such as Korea, New Zealand and Germany has been rigorous testing to determine who has the virus so that they can be either treated or isolated far ahead of them spreading it.

These are countries with populations in fractions of Nigeria's with testing ten, twenty times ours. If they are only opening thier economies after two months you can imagine how long it will take Nigeria to open up with just 1,500 tests a day.

That is why I repeatedly ask for a specific alternate strategy which may or may not require lockdowns. Remember not every country is in lockdown. Japan, Turkey amongst several countries have alternative programs to total lockdown and are doing well. It is not the lockdown that matters but what you do with it.

Lockdown is merely a tool of social distancing just like anaesthesia is a tool of surgery. If you put a patient to sleep and do nothing what do you gain. You can extend the anaesthesia all you like, the patient will not improve without a treatment strategy.

I repeat again the NCDC should not be the sole determinant of this game play. Pandemics are far more than health issues.

Pandemics are precisely health issues. In every country with a lockdown it's the scientific advisers calling the shorts, especially with regards to the length of the lockdown.

The UK, France and India just announced extensions or no change in existing lockdowns.

I also challenge your assumptions that the lockdowns abroad are just to protect the healthcare systems from being swamped. It's more to prevent community infections, because lockdowns minimize human interactions. Given the fatality rate of Covid-19 at around 3.4%, it implies a great many people will recover, and it generally takes about 3 weeks on average to fully recover. If the virus spread is stopped in its tracks and people recover while the most seriously ill who won't recover pass away, the virus will completely be gone.

Also, the healthcare systems simply only attend to the most sick, especially those who need intubation. The majority are isolated to recover naturally.

There's no country whose strategy is not lockdown.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Reference(m): 9:09pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nigerians let us be practical here. The goverment is not telling us exactly what they need to see to lift restrictions. They should be candid about that if not we can assume we will be locked down for months to come. As citizens we need to plan.

Even those involved in charity will need to create sustainable models to ensure they are able to lend support for the duration of the pandemic induced lockdown.
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Steady259(m): 9:10pm On Apr 13, 2020
Yankee101:
1k per person truly in need. No new accounts. Quote me

3066389027 first bank
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by Greystone: 9:16pm On Apr 13, 2020
Rozaytee:
wicked soul grin

It’s a joke oh.
See as people vex.

I resemble BuBu ni? smiley
Re: Coronavirus: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians - Live Updates (13 April 2020) by rationalhuman(m): 9:17pm On Apr 13, 2020
That 27 Billion Dollars stimulus is extra then Free electricity (upto 200 units in many states), Free Cooking Gas, Free Healthcare and PD Ration. Not to mention Medicine in India cost like nothing.
I my view that package is huge, can any African leader even think about 5% of what India is doing and that to only for Poorest? I dont think so, doesn't matter which African country. I have no hope

Neoteny7:

Spain and italy both went through their periods of lockdowns, and only considered easement when things improved a little.

We've not reached anywhere near our peak, so it's too early to talk about easing.

27 billion dollars is almost nothing for 1.3 billion people in india.

I thought your argument was against the lockdown, not the social cushions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Protesters In Ibadan Demand The Release Of Sunday Igboho (Photos) / Femi Fani-Kayode: Abba Kyari Should Be Treated Like Allen Onyema / Okuama Community In Delta State Set Ablaze Days After Soldiers Were Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.