Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ (1199 Views)

US funding for weapons, economic aid to Ukraine runs out this year - White House / World Bank Blocks Loans, New Funding To Uganda Over Anti-gay Bill / US To Review Funding To WHO Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by ExAngel007(f): 7:40am On Apr 15, 2020
The government of the United States has suspended its funding of the World Health Organisation.
President Donald Trump told journalists on Tuesday that the organisation “failed in its basic duty”.
“Today I am directing my administration to halt funding while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” he said during a White House press briefing.
“American taxpayers provide between $400 million and $500 million per year to the WHO and in contrast, China contributes $40 million a year or even less.
“As the organisation’s leading sponsor, the United States has a duty to insist on full accountability. One of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was its disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations.
“The WHO failed in its basic duty and must be held accountable.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” he told reporters.
“This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage.
Instead, the WHO willingly took China’s assurances to face value… and defended the actions of the Chinese government. “With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”
It is not clear if Trump can unilaterally withhold contributions to the WHO.
The US president has been criticised for the nation’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak and some governors have disagreed with his plans to reopen the economy.
In a January 24 tweet, Trump had commended the Chinese government for its transparency and efforts to contain the virus.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1250311294407725057/photo/1
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Mysticwebb: 7:46am On Apr 15, 2020
This virus has exposed many countries and organisations as highly unreliable.
Going forward after this pandemic, everyone will have to double check any information coming out from these supposedly reputable organisations.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by oteneaaron(m): 7:50am On Apr 15, 2020
I completely agree with Trump in this.

I cannot be your major sponsor and you won't listen to me.

WHO failed in its most basic duty.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 15, 2020
every country affected by the Chinese virus should do the same.
WHO really endangered the world. they are supposed to act as an unbiased umpire.

imagine the number of economies they have already destroyed by covering up for China.

now they have sent our fragile economy into it worst ever recession

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 7:57am On Apr 15, 2020
The same trump that once commended the Chinese for their transparency in the covid-19 fight.He just gave the Chinese more world influence.Even Nigeria can fund WHO with the amount US does without feeling the effects.
Anyways,the dumb Nigerian/African trump asslickers will soon flood this thread to support him as usual as if they're not the ones that will suffer it the most.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 8:02am On Apr 15, 2020
Lostz:
every country affected by the Chinese virus should do the same.
WHO really endangered the world. they are supposed to act as an unbiased umpire.

imagine the number of economies they have already destroyed by covering up for China.

now they have sent our fragile economy into it worst ever recession
I find your statement very funny grin
This is like saying "let me stop eating in other to punish my brain for not reasoning correctly"
Do you think "who" is the name of one Chinese person whom they dash money to in his personal account.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by lilprinze: 8:05am On Apr 15, 2020
Trump doesn't make empty threats.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:

I find your statement very funny grin
This is like saying "let me stop eating in other to punish my brain for not reasoning correctly"
Is who the name of one Chinese person whom dash money to in his personal account.

WHO is supposed to be a health organization that have Outlast it usefulness by trying to be politically correct.

at least money saved will be channeled to other important stuff.

there is no sense in keeping a whole world health organization.

like-minded countries should come up with something to protect themselves.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 8:12am On Apr 15, 2020
Lostz:

WHO is supposed to be a health organization that have Outlast it usefulness by trying to be politically correct.

at least money saved will be channeled to other important stuff.

there is no sense in keeping a whole world health organization.

like-minded countries should come up with something to protect themselves.
WHO is still a highly important organization bro
Trump is seeking who to blame as usual for his incompetencies.Wasn't he the same person that said china was transparent in handling covid-19

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:
The same trump that once commended the Chinese for their transparency in the covid-19 fight.He just gave the Chinese more world influence.Even Nigeria can fund WHO with the amount US does without feeling the effects.
Anyways,the Nigerian/African trump asslickers will soon flood this thread to support him as usual as if they're not the ones that will suffer it the most.

US give about $893.m to WHO every two years.

I don't know where you planned on getting that amount from. abi you will borrow to fund WHO?
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by AroleOduduwa2: 8:12am On Apr 15, 2020
I am no Trump supported, but he's absolutely correct. China lied, people died, the world is a chaotic state and WHO covered it up. WHO helped in spreading the virus, same WHO that are quick to red flag countries with ebola.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Tolumiide: 8:12am On Apr 15, 2020
Good one. Every culprit must pay for this. But I don't like the way trump administration handle the pandemic as well.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Charleys: 8:12am On Apr 15, 2020
oteneaaron:
I completely agree with Trump in this.

I cannot be your major sponsor and you won't listen to me.

WHO failed in its most basic duty.

That is not the point, the WHO was supposed to do their investigations when the Covid 19 virus came out, when China said it wasn't a problem hiding information. The WHO told the world the same info China gave rather than carry out their own investigations.

That's why this disease spread so much.

They had the money to do it but they did not.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 8:17am On Apr 15, 2020
Lostz:

US give about $893.m to WHO every two years.

I don't know where you planned on getting that amount from. abi you will borrow to fund WHO?
In that two years Nigeria would typically earn more than $100billion in revenues.is it an amount of about 0.8% that would constitute that much strain on the country

2 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by SouthEastFacts: 8:19am On Apr 15, 2020
WHO is pursuing a dangerous agenda we don't know yet.

WHO is responsible for all the deaths. They mismanaged this pandemic.

1. They claimed that corona virus doesn't transmit human-human
2. They advised against shutting of borders against China.
3. They are against the use of Face mask in other countries hile China the epicenter continue to do so
4. They are against all the early drugs that were touted as possible cure
5. Despite global outcry it took them ages to declare the virus as a pandemic
6. They failed to send their team to China when the first cases were reported. This is the basic function of WHO

The stupid organisation should be scrapped and their leader jailed for conspiracy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:

Trump is seeking who to blame as usual for his incompetencies.Wasn't he the same person that said china was transparent in handling covid-19

he said that because of data being provided at that time. there was nothing to suggest then that China and WHO are involve in a cover-up

Taiwan wrote a letter to WHO about a deadly virus in human that can be transmitted from human to human but WHO covered up the information.

they were only interested in protecting the image of China. they even suggested that America attempt to ban travel from China is unnecessary and racist.

WHO is now being run by leftist propaganda politicians. they are no longer useful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by SouthEastFacts: 8:21am On Apr 15, 2020
AroleOduduwa2:
I am no Trump supported, but he's absolutely correct. China lied, people died, the world is a chaotic state and WHO covered it up. WHO helped in spreading the virus, same WHO that are quick to red flag countries with ebola.
You saw how proactive they were during Ebola but couldn't even declare corona virus as a pandemic.

It took them so long to do that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by omonnakoda: 8:22am On Apr 15, 2020
SouthEastFacts:
WHO is pursuing a dangerous agenda we don't know yet.

WHO is responsible for all the deaths. They mismanaged this pandemic.

1. They claimed that corona virus doesn't transmit human-human
2. They advised against shutting of borders against China.
3. They are against the use of Face mask in other countries hile China the epicenter continue to do so
4. They are against all the early drugs that were touted as possible cure
5. Despite global outcry it took them ages to declare the virus as a pandemic
6. They failed to send their team to China when the first cases were reported. This is the basic function of WHO

The stupid organisation should be scrapped and their leader jailed for conspiracy
They claimed that coronavirus doesn't spread human-human

Is this true?
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by SouthEastFacts: 8:22am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:

Based on information WHO gave.

WHO should be scrapped.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by omonnakoda: 8:23am On Apr 15, 2020
SouthEastFacts:

Based on information WHO gave.

WHO should be scrapped.
Your claims are false
Stop telling lies

1 Like

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:

In that two years Nigeria would typically earn more than $100billion in revenues.is it an amount of about 0.8% that would constitute that much strain on the country

how much are you saving? you are already borrowing to fund your daily life and you still want to give $893m to WHO?
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by SouthEastFacts: 8:24am On Apr 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

They claimed that coronavirus doesn't spread human-human

Is this true?
Yeah, even when Taiwan wrote them about the dangers of the virus.

A disease that was ravaging Wuhan yet those fools saw all the evidence and still claim it doesn't spread human-human

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by emkz: 8:25am On Apr 15, 2020
Everyone was caught unawares and Trump has the right to be angry. I am angry too. WHO responded late. The CIA failed to give advisory on time.

If you cannot safeguard world health which is your primary duty, why should I continue to fund you? China owed the rest of the world the first line of protection by completely isolating Wuhan early enough to make sure no one gets out or comes in. It is better to lose that city than the rest of the world who knew nothing about the carelessness of the Chinese authorities.

When China failed to alert the rest of the world or take measures, WHO needed to have stepped in and given advisory to the rest of the world because they must have a country office in China.This they failed to do; and as a CEO, you must take action to prevent further damage.

Trump made the right call and after this, UN organisations need to be reviewed and strengthened enough to override some countries' rights when the rest of the world is potentially at risk.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by SouthEastFacts: 8:26am On Apr 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

Your claims are false
Stop telling lies
WHO down played the impact of the virus and this affected the way a lot of countries responded to it.

That organisation is culpable and should be scrapped.

We don't WHO again
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 8:27am On Apr 15, 2020
Lostz:
[s]

how much are you saving? you are already borrowing to fund your daily life and you still want to give $893m to WHO?[/s]
Is the US not borrowing,isn't it the most highly indebted nation on the planet undecided
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 15, 2020
Charleys:

That is not the point, the WHO was supposed to do their investigations when the Covid 19 virus came out, when China said it wasn't a problem hiding information. The WHO told the world the same info China gave rather than carry out their own investigations.

That's why this disease spread so much.

They had the money to do it but they did not.

WHO had all the information needed but decided to cover it up.

a letter from Taiwan dated 2019 warn of human to human transmission but WHO covered it up.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by omonnakoda: 8:27am On Apr 15, 2020
South Korea was given the same information and took action in January
Trump prevaricated
Trum refused to accept WHO testing kit and The US had delays with development of kits

On February 15 there were only 15 cases in the US they had plenty of time to take action
Trum failed and is looking for a scapegoat
India shares a border with China, is a very poor country but has fewer cases than the US

2 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by tatatar: 8:29am On Apr 15, 2020
Lostz:
[s]

he said that because of data being provided at that time. there was nothing to suggest then that China and WHO are involve in a cover-up

Taiwan wrote a letter to WHO about a deadly virus in human that can be transmitted from human to human but WHO covered up the information.

they were only interested in protecting the image of China. they even suggested that America attempt to ban travel from China is unnecessary and racist.

WHO is now being run by leftist propaganda politicians. they are no longer useful.[/s]
Last I checked it was trump who called coronavirus a democratic hoax.The same info they gave US,that they gave South Korea.Trump is to be blamed,simple!

4 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by infohenry(m): 8:29am On Apr 15, 2020
Trump always looking for an escape goats, the other day it was the media that did not give the virus adequate coverage, now it is WHO. When will Trump accept that he mishandled handle the pandemic thereby putting American life's in danger.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by orisa37: 8:29am On Apr 15, 2020
WHO IS MUMU.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by Nobody: 8:32am On Apr 15, 2020
tatatar:

Is the US not borrowing,isn't it the most highly indebted nation on the planet undecided

be deceiving yourself when you are already depending on aids to survive this virus.

I don't want to waste my time on foolish talk this morning.
Re: Trump Halts US Funding To WHO For ‘mismanaging COVID-19 Pandemic’ by omonnakoda: 8:32am On Apr 15, 2020
SouthEastFacts:

WHO down played the impact of the virus and this affected the way a lot of countries responded to it.

That organisation is culpable and should be scrapped.

We don't WHO again
Those are just words
,meaningless words

Americans are not that stupid to fall for this crap.

Trump is the one that did the playing down

5he same information was given to Germany, to South Korea and everyone

How come they acted differently with better outcomes

Why did Trump waste valuable time and lives refusing the WHO test kits insisting on making his own ?That project was unsuccessful causing further delay

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Isreal The God's Nation / The Mystic Woman Behind Kony's Movement. / US Election 2012: George Bush Accidentally Voted For Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.