Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,740 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? (74167 Views)

The Mystery Behind Sugar, Salt And One Part Of Your Body / Natural Dreadlocks Popularly Called Dada-What Is The Mystery Behind It? / The Mystery Behind The Name Daodu/dawodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by thatsleepboy1: 1:50pm On May 14, 2020
All is know is that, there's original an there's fake dada. What most pple carry is fake. Mere looking at a dreadlock, I know the diff. It comes with sth spiritual attached with it. Esp from the Marine world. It disturbs them alot. That's why it takes prayers and sacrifices to Barb it off. The funniest part of it is that, most of them end up becoming good seers and prophets. God is so wonderful. While some of them carry it for beautification and use it to scam pple, the real ones use it for sth good and most of them end up having bad things come their ways or their offsprings ways cos they're battling with a strong world and forces that don't want them to be. Even MFM pastors can't Barb it off like that. That's the strength of an original dreadlock (dada as we call it, na oyibo man call am locks)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 1:50pm On May 14, 2020
Ghostrye:

ummm I don't know, maybe because the owner of the hair doesn't feel like combing it, because it is his hair and he/she can manage it whichever goddamn way they want?

Because they are dirty simple and short.

Why stop at hair? I hope they don't don't shave armpits too and pubic hairs because they can do whatever dirty rubbish they want to.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by whitebeard(m): 1:50pm On May 14, 2020
Harllaby:
It pises me off when I see the way some fellows thinks. Some just dish out comment like a programmed robot being controlled by religion indoctrination.
Op, the bias is deeply rooted in traditional religious beliefs and myths, especially in this part of Nigeria. Often times, people with dada are tagged negatively in likes of mentally challenged person, Yahoo guys, mad person.

These superstitions and beliefs ignite fear and portraited evil in the society which have been deeply entrenched into people's mind and certain religious group renforced the belief among their followers. Only certain people who questioned their culture and belief become emancipated from their culture and religion dogma.

So if you like dada hairstyle, feel free to go make one for yourself. Dreadlock is the style name. Basket mouth, Olamide, Rema, Flavor, formal Psquare, Zlanta once rock the hairstyles and some are still rocking it. No spirituality, no cause, no negativity, it just vibe, trend and lifestyle
I still feel like u are ignorant on another aspect of this topic...nice write-up sha

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Ghostrye: 1:56pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

Because they are dirty simple and short.

Why stop at hair? I hope they don't don't shave armpits too and pubic hairs because they can do whatever dirty rubbish they want to.

Same way nobody asked you not to shave or tries to dictate how you wear your clothes or trim your beards, your food might just be their poison. Doesn't mean they are dirty or lazy, it just means you should learn to mind your bonking business

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Adezanoti: 1:57pm On May 14, 2020
Look for kelechi amadi obi . He is among the top 5 if not 3 photographer in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. He is someone to recon with and he sometimes keeps to dread. Meanwhile, not having you being called a celebrity or televised here and there doesn't tell you are not a big personality. We have many men and women in this world who just want to keep it cool. Let's not divert the topic dear.
To me, I believe one should go for anything that he/she finds joy in doing. We shouldn't attach everything to religion! My own Kobo though!
Mizwisdom:

Better find how you will cut it off, nobody should tell you that it isn't a good thing. It destroys destinies. If you can name one important personality, I'm not talking of an Igbo smoking gangster, entertainer or musician who is a dreadlock, I will change my point of view
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by CAPSLOCKED: 2:00pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

Of course, a very good sign of laziness and dirtiness

SEE TWO VERY LAZY AND DIRTY PEOPLE BELOW.
PROBABLY COLONIZED BY UNCLEAN SPIRITS.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by salford1: 2:02pm On May 14, 2020
SKhanmi:

How? Can you explain better? And how about those that have it naturally as kids?
it indeed comes naturally.
It's the hair texture. Some people have a type of hair that are tough and easily locks when left for just a couple of weeks/months without cutting it. Myself and my first kid have the texture of dada. If we don't cut our hair within a couple of weeks to months, it starts to tangle and lock. I hated combing my hair as a kid, it was very very painful. If I comb before leaving home, 2 hours after it would have tangled and form tiny locks. When I had my first child, the first time my MIL(a lifetime C&S member) saw my baby's hair, she knew straight away that it was dreadlocks and she was right. The dreads started forming a few weeks later, we cut the dreads when my baby was 2. My wife did not like it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Mizwisdom(f): 2:04pm On May 14, 2020
Adezanoti:
Look for kelechi amadi obi . He is among the top 5 if not 3 photographer in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. He is someone to recon with and he sometimes keeps to dread. Meanwhile, not having you being called a celebrity or televised here and there doesn't tell you are not a big personality. We have many men and women in this world who just want to keep it cool. Let's not divert the topic dear.
To me, I believe one should go for anything that he/she finds joy in doing. We shouldn't attach everything to religion! My own Kobo though!

I asked a simple question and your idea of a response is to ask me to check for a photographer?! Madam, dreadlocks destroys destinies, this is not a religious belief but a fact of life. Many people have lost great opportunities because they're carrying dreadlocks on their hair, they're seen as unserious and end up being sidelined from key opportunities. You can't even name one serious important position which a dreadlock carrying person occupies, it's a shame.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by AubreyFord: 2:07pm On May 14, 2020
the scripture was not clear about samson having dreadlocks. When reading the scripture the term "locks" alone we cannot assume this is referring to what is known today as "dreadlocks" here is the defination of "locks" in reference to hair Oxford-america dictionary:
Lock
a piece of person's hair that coil or hangs
DREADLOCKS
the true defination would be a person hair that coil or hangs together. the term dreadlocks came much later during the rastafarian movement.
NUMBER 6:5 (the latter part) AND SHALL LET THE LOCKS OF THE HAIR OF HIS HEAD GROW more interestingly we see that samson's locks/hair were describe to GLIDE over each other or STRIKE through each other. this is called a BRAID
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 2:11pm On May 14, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

The first guys hair looks artificial like twisted wool. So I can't really say.

For the second picture, even though she tries to keep it clean, the dirty vibe is still there and doesn't change the fact that the hair is oozing with all sorts of bacteria

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by FlordFlorez(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2020
valentinos22:

oga u seem to be talking from bedroom wisdom!
lolz..funny guy.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by salford1: 2:15pm On May 14, 2020
Sterope:
Dreadlock

Matted hair = dreadlock

So if I let my hair run free without combing it for a while like a month or two- it would start the locking process. Some hair are easily matted than others.

Or I could decide to lock it myself. There are two ways to achieve that.

So don't be a paranoid liar. There is nothing marine or spiritual about dreadlocks. IT IS A HAIRSTYLE. It is made hair, the hair in the head, natural oil God created from the body and maybe a bit of ingredients like shea butter, oil or even cream.

You are absolutely correct.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 2:15pm On May 14, 2020
Good afternoon, well I saw many quotes here, the only thing I want to say is " Dread locks is not a virtue, dreads didn't die for my redemption, if you're young and living a holy life in Nigeria or any where else get ready to rule your world (be humble and seek God's face always) Jesus has fully taken over, only the camp of the righteous will experience genuine joy from God's throne" the days are here when your material, intellectual, physical possessions cannot save you only Jesus can save...... It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks (Acts 9:5).
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 2:16pm On May 14, 2020
Ghostrye:

Same way nobody asked you not to shave or tries to dictate how you wear your clothes or trim your beards, your food might just be their poison. Doesn't mean they are dirty or lazy, it just means you should learn to mind your bonking business

Lol, you sound like a pained dada. grin grin
Dada hair is synonymous with dirtiness and propagated by unclean/marine spirits.
All mad people left alone have dada. That a normal person chooses to have dada says alot about your mental state and no! I refuse to be cool with seemly normal people who aspire to be like mad people. That's my opinion. Deal with it
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Grandmeister(m): 2:16pm On May 14, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Those dreads are mostly not the real deal naa..look at the locks and you will see they ain't the real thing.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by noble2faith(m): 2:17pm On May 14, 2020
Anuoluwa1234:
Dear.. don't be deceived.. dada is a spiritual thing... If you want to know more.. go and study demonology undecided undecided..
Why is it that dada is restricted to some churches. Why is it that if any penticostial have dada.. when it is traced, it is either the foundation der of that church lias with some orthodox church undecided undecided..
And some say Samson is Dada.. dear be guided, Samson is not dada.. the Bible recorded that his hair was in 6 strands Ni . And there is a diff between 6stands if hair and dada undecided undecided

I like you. I love to know you better.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by salford1: 2:19pm On May 14, 2020
OyiOtukpo:
There's nothing wrong at all with dreads for all I know. The natural dreads are hereditary and symbolize nothing spiritually. Superstition made it scary and religion has come to cap it.
The fashion dreads, otherwise known as the social dreads come as you have seen them with nothing spiritually attached.
Hair naturally tangles and locks due to movement of wind through the hair. If the owner doesn't comb it, the hair must consequently dread. There's no spirit that tangles hair. My nephew had genetic dreads (his mother had it). At 7months old, we were tired of frequently combing out the dreads and within hours, it would lock back like no one ever combed it. His father returned from work one evening and ran his clipper through the son's hair. The Africans around our neighborhood were stunned we didn't do any ritual or wait for the boy to demand something in exchange for the hair. Some said he'd die before a year, others said he'd lose his sense before 2yrs. They said we should get a "powerful man of God" to cancel that. My brother and his wife didn't even remember to think of that. He's in his mid 20s now and doing great as an engineer in the UK.
What you think of something is what it is. Dreadlock, apart from fashion is just another hair type.
This is like me all through my nursery, primary and Jss days. I got beaten for this in school so much for not combing my hair. It got to a point I was brushing my hair to untangle the tiny locks almost every two hours. I dare not use comb as the pain was unbearable. It was until I started having money to enter a barbing salon at will that I became free.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by CAPSLOCKED: 2:19pm On May 14, 2020
Grandmeister:

Those dreads are mostly not the real deal naa..look at the locks and you will see they ain't the real thing.

THEY'RE NOT REAL BUT UTI DOESN'T COMB HIS HAIR. SO HE IS VERY LAZY AND DIRTY.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Angelfrost(m): 2:21pm On May 14, 2020
Mystery??! On top natural beautiful African hair??!...

You guys need real jobs!!! Smh. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by CAPSLOCKED: 2:23pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

The first guys hair looks artificial like twisted wool. So I can't really say.

For the second picture, even though she tries to keep it clean, the dirty vibe is still there and doesn't change the fact that the hair is oozing with all sorts of bacteria

OVER 80% OF YOUNG WOMEN IN NIGERIA ESPECIALLY STUDENTS AND HUSTLERS HAVE REALLY SMELLY HAIR. MADAM HOW MANY CAMPAIGNS HAVE YOU ANCHORED TO STOP THEM FROM BRAIDING OR FIXING SO THAT THEY CAN WASH THEIR HAIRS EVERYDAY?

AND FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE THE LADY IN THAT PICTURE IS THE LEGENDARY ASA. YOU CAN GOOGLE HER OUT BEFORE SAYING HER HAIR IS DIRTY AND OOZING WITH BACTERIA.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
BY NATURE OF OUR RACE, DADA IS THE NATURAL FORM OF OUR HAIRS IF WE LET IT GROW FROM THE ROOTS WITHOUT COMBING OR TOUCHING IT.

THIS IS WHY YOU SEE MANY MADMEN AND PRISONERS WITH DREADS. IT HAS NOW BECOME FASHION, AS EUROPEANS AND AMERICANS PAY MONEY TO HAVE WHAT WE HAVE NATURALLY. IT'S THE SAME WAY OUR WOMEN PAY MONEY TO HAVE THEIR HAIRS LOOKING LIKE THAT OF EUROPEAN WOMEN.

HOWEVER, I EXPECT US TO ASCRIBE IT TO MARINE SPIRITS AND WITCHES BECAUSE WE'RE STUPĮDLY SUPERSTITIOUS IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD.

Lool.. like the religious mumu up there calling marine spirits. Anyways it's been awhile we have seen hopefullandlord tho. Really missed his comments.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by olaadesino(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2020
You can find dreadlocks in Muslim community expect convert to Muslim or unserious Muslim parents

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by psalmuelwater(m): 2:35pm On May 14, 2020
MistarT:
The best and surest adviser is the Holy Spirit, however with little knowledge about dreadlocks, there's a comma somewhere, if you have a child with dreads, prayerfully cut it, that is why most believers cut their children's hair before dedication, the words I write are not comprehendable with a carnal mind, they're spiritually discerned. God bless you.
Be confusing yourself
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by anonymous1759(m): 2:35pm On May 14, 2020
Topmaike007:
nobody get the thing naturally, if you have curly hair from the beginning and they refuse to comb the hair na dada be the next thing

Some people have it Naturally please stop misleading people my mom is Dada my friend and two of his brothers are Naturally Dada. Truth to be told the world is more spiritual than physical. Even some oyinbo you try to copy have marine spirit and believe in spirituality but hide it from the camera just to discredit the African race.

Have seen not oyinbo road workers sprinkle blood before road construction even in factories. If you think technology is not spiritual you're the most naive man on earth. The world is between God and Satan it's either you believe one and hold it firm or else you're just an empty vessel walking. Spirituality is 100% real. Africa fail to use her Magic for Good oyinbo used Thiers judiciously. Truth to be told every child needs dedication in religious way or traditional way Dada or no Dada the world is deep.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Ibkay32(m): 2:37pm On May 14, 2020
JessetariahMD:
No mystery its just a normal hairstyle
And I find it amusing why Nigerian securities keep suspecting peeps with dreadlocks as cultist
when 97% strong cultist are even on "moro Moro"
Any body to help a brother
got to pay some bills
no amounts small
Tariah Herwass Awongo
Fidelity Bank
thanks

I pray they will help, I have begging everyone here for job link, any work I can do, nobody answer, you now asking for money, well if u see credit alert thank ur creator the only thing they know here is to ask for advice wey no know concern person..shiooor
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 2:45pm On May 14, 2020
silverr:

Why is it synonymous with mad men and prisoners?
Because it's symbolic with dirtiness. Ever heard of unclean spirits?
Why shouldn't you comb your hair?
God BLESS YOU RICHLY!!!! May your head never lack God's oil in Jesus' Most Holy name Amen.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by andyanders: 2:46pm On May 14, 2020
MistarT:
Few hours back I was pondering within me about this same "dreadlocks" well my take is dreadlocks has been hijacked, Samson was a frontliner as regards dreadlocks but that was God ordained however today the Marine kingdom and their subsidiaries (using the name of church) have hijacked dreadlocks.

well spoken. So much, as spiritual issues are associated with subject.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by silverr(f): 2:48pm On May 14, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

OVER 80% OF YOUNG WOMEN IN NIGERIA ESPECIALLY STUDENTS AND HUSTLERS HAVE REALLY SMELLY HAIR. MADAM HOW MANY CAMPAIGNS HAVE YOU ANCHORED TO STOP THEM FROM BRAIDING OR FIXING SO THAT THEY CAN WASH THEIR HAIRS EVERYDAY?

AND FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE THE LADY IN THAT PICTURE IS THE LEGENDARY ASA. YOU CAN GOOGLE HER OUT BEFORE SAYING HER HAIR IS DIRTY AND OOZING WITH BACTERIA.

A man that bathes smells how much more a man that doesn't bathe. They both smell but on different levels.

Of course I know Asa, let me and there. It doesn't change the fact that the hair is dirty and synonymous with mad people
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 14, 2020
Within a time space of 15 years, I counted 6 of us with natural dreadlock in my family (extended), two in my own family of four children; myself and the last.

None of us carried it beyond age of ten, I had my own barbed when I was six but that of my younger sibling made me believe there can be more to it than eye can see.

Before his dreadlock appears, combing his hair is always warlike and it doesn't last a minute before the whole thing scattered again. Each time he had a haircut as a baby, he will fall terribly sick hence, he was left alone. At 3, the brownish dreadlock appeared with a central one that stands errect anytime the boy is angry. He had it barbed when he was five but he nearly died; he got well on his own. Anyways, we're all adults now and nothing evil or extra good about us. Except, maybe, some very personal awareness of certain experiences and I think every human being has something personal.

My point is, nothing is meaningless in life, while tagging one phenomenon 'evil' and another 'good' is an act of ignorance. Things get clearer and simpler when we stop attaching conventional and bogus meaning to things we don't personally understand.

Life is far deeper and complex than what most of us think or believe it is, there are many dimensions in what we call life and I don't think there is any iota of wisdom in tagging stuffs that doesn't match your mental wiring evil or demonic.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Maliqcious: 2:52pm On May 14, 2020
JessetariahMD:
No mystery its just a normal hairstyle
And I find it amusing why Nigerian securities keep suspecting peeps with dreadlocks as cultist
when 97% strong cultist are even on "moro Moro"
Any body to help a brother
got to pay some bills
no amounts small
Tariah Herwass Awongo
Fidelity Bank
thanks
you no at all
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Olusholanibz(m): 2:55pm On May 14, 2020
Dada is a natural hair style, and those with dada re specially created.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Donpenny(m): 2:57pm On May 14, 2020
Nothing special about it , it just a form of heir style that has it origin from religion. It was invented by religion socialist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola: Jennifer Obayuwana Gives Shout Out To Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano / We Summoned The Spirit Of Ooni Aderemi From His Tomb - Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.