Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,079 members, 7,795,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC (28760 Views)

Bandits On Camels & Horses Kill 18 In Zamfara, 10 Massacred In Katsina / Bandits Kill 18 Soldiers In Katsina (Disturbing Photos) / Bandits Kidnap Yusha’u Dissi, Kill 18 Persons In Katsina State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Tflesk: 3:17pm On Apr 15, 2020
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) says Nigeria’s security agencies have killed 18 citizens since the lockdown regulations on the COVID-19 pandemic were enforced — more than the disease itself.

Tony Ojukwu, NHRC executive secretary, said majority of the victims were killed during attempts to enforce the coronavirus lockdown and similar regulations.

The federal and state governments had locked down various parts of the country to curb the spread of COVID-19 which has so far killed 11 persons in Nigeria.

But the lockdown has come with various human rights abuses mostly by policemen, the NHRC said in its report shared with TheCable on Wednesday.

The commission said in addition to the reported extrajudicial killings, the security agencies have allegedly carried out 33 incidents of torture, 27 incidents of violation of right to freedom of movement, and unlawful arrests, 19 incidents of seizure of properties and 13 incidents of extortion.

“There were 8 documented incidents of extra-judicial killing leading to 18 deaths,” the report read.

“Out of this number, 12 deaths were recorded in Kaduna State. Abia State also recorded 2 deaths arising from 2 incidents; while Delta, Niger, Ebonyi and Katsina States recorded 1 death each.

“The report further shows that out of the 18 deaths, the Nigeria Correctional Service was responsible for 8 deaths while the Nigeria Police Force was responsible for 7 deaths.

“The Nigeria Army on the other hand was responsible for 2 deaths while the Ebonyi State Task Force on Covid-19, Afikpo South LGA was responsible for 1 death.”

Ojukwu said the fatalities speak volumes of the protocol and rules of engagement for Nigeria’s law enforcement agencies and their efficiency level to deal with citizens.

“It’s a sheer display of impunity and reckless disregard for human life in law enforcement by security personnel,” he added.

He also said while the NHRC will ensure justice for victims of human rights abuse, it has developed a mobile application to monitor and document such violations.

source:-
https://www.thecable.ng/security-agencies-kill-18-nigerians-during-lockdown-more-than-covid-19/amp?fbclid=IwAR0afgaZjszfspiNjIQlTPSs_NOMJExKwt11dYo4Fmj-M2n4x9pmk4rlyYo

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Cholls(m): 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2020
my brother hmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Yenefer(f): 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
grin

5 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by JunctionBox: 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
Life has little or no value in Nigeria.

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Jashub: 3:20pm On Apr 15, 2020
We are living in a zoo ; not a country. Anyone who thinks otherwise should go and hug transformer

115 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Tflesk: 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2020
lalasticlala Seun Mynd2
move to fp
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Kygoraphael(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
Nigeria too dey overdo

4 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by FARA4GA: 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX4DbegvKXA

Policemen spotted on bonnet of speeding vehicle of lady who refused to stop for security operatives who were not wearing face masks

A dramatic scene played out in Abuja today April 15, as a policeman was spotted on the bonnet of a speeding vehicle of lady who refused to stop for security operatives who were not wearing face masks.

Media personality Khalid Oshoke who shared the video, said the lady who was almost assaulted by an FRSC official refused to park for the security operatives because they weren't wearing facemasks.

He also revealed that the lady was moving at full speed even though the officer was on top of her car's bonnet.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by romoruyi(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
Cholls:
my brother hmmmm

Hmm....
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by BAVOSKI(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
I think OSun Corona virus victims were 20,and 10 has been tested negative twice,so why putting 20again in Osun.......
I think this CORONA issue is turning into lies....just pick number and post
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by paulolee(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
dts d same story for Oda African countries...heard in news last night dt they are killings in Kenya because some people violate the lockdown rule... people are not enjoying taking the risk of goin out bt it's bcoz of hunger and poverty na..saw dt video dt trended yesterday abt d cab man dt stripped himself hungry worst pass covid n d worst tin to happen to man na to sit down for ous they look ur hungry family and can't do anything or husstle bcoz of one covid or lockdown shii..Oda countries av foodbanks and sharing palliatives bt my country do thiers based on politics...no problem Sha....I jus de wait for when they go carry thier campaign shii kum my hood...boys don ready for dm..dier fada
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by TheMan3: 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
Nonsense. This doesn't make sense at all.

Any right thinking person should be plotting his exit strategy now so you leave the country after the lockdown. God help Nigeria

15 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Zooposki(f): 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
They should add those numbers to the total count of covid deaths.

7 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by jikins(m): 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
The worse part is that these killers won't be held accountable.

Get your cheap data from us or learn how to sell data yourself. Check my signature for my contact.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Amanda4life: 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
More killings because the week ahead is going to be more tough

Those who were not robbers may venture into robbery in a special way

2 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
Exact; our security operatives overdoo things, I sincerely think they're hearless beings and I do my utmost best to avoid them.

Kygoraphael:
Nigeria too dey overdo
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by sapientia(m): 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
They would have killed more if not for the lockdown.

Our security agencies lacks training on civil relations.

I just don't understand them.

No difference between them and a random person with riffle.

2 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Garrieveryday: 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
May God help us

1 Like

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by LibertyRep: 3:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
We this elongation of the lockdown, one can only appeal to the security agencies to be very very professional in the face of imminent provocations.

1 Like

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Slimdaddy2: 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
Zoogeria

3 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
A
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by chocboi78(m): 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
Mad oh..
Those stats re shocking...
More dan d virus itself
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Dirpetaner: 3:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
Confirmed cases: 0
Death: 17

4 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
The numbers will increase if Nigerians dare to protest. This is another virus that we have refused to tame. The government prefer security agencies to kill People than the virus

4 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by CotenantNIG: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
very wrong
Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by GeneralPula: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
We need to start killing these con men called security back in return..

Kill 1 civilian
Civilian go kill 10!
sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by Elove1: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
Anambra is on fire now
You should add it on your list too

One thing I have regretted in my whole life is being a Nigerian.. sometimes I do pray it should be a dream, which I will wake up and realise that i am a UK citizen.

8 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by DonMustafa: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
I don't know how true this is.

But come to think of it. Many Nigerians have died from herdsmen but buhari has done nothing about it.

I think we should name something Herdsmen-19 and compare with Covid-19

Hersdmen-19 means how many people have died in the hands of herdsmen since 2015 when Buhari took power.

4 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by tammie24: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
The 12 in kaduna are definitely Christians
Even though the hausas are the most lawless set of humans you will ever come across

1 Like

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by PureGoldh(m): 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
They just wan reduce the population.

I don't know why it is that anybody wey carry gun unto security agency level go dey feel like say "He or she don arrive" forgetting that they were once civilians

6 Likes

Re: Security Agencies Kill 18 Nigerians During Lockdown, More Than COVID-19 - NHRC by AmazingELixir: 3:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
lipsrsealed

This Buhari sef

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Men Arrested For N466m Fraud After Hacking Into Bank’s Application. P / Yomi Shogunle Reacts To Video Of Ghanaian Policeman Beating Nursing Mother / 3 Nigerian Women Beat And Rob Iraqi Man In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.