Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,781 members, 7,806,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! (118154 Views)

I Found This On My Family Body Please What Is It? / I'm A Virgin HIV Positive Lady: Please Help! / 14-Year-Old Girl In Owerri Is HIV Positive After She Was Sexually Abused (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OutharryHIV: 4:35pm On Apr 15, 2020
I "accidentally" found out I had HIV in 2015... Worst year of my life.. I know you might be thinking that I'm a promiscuous person but I assure you, I'm very far from that... So this is how it all started?

I did my NYSC in my dad's company and finished in late 2014 and I was given a full year to go read a course I didn't even want. So I instead volunteered for Youth In Action Against HIV and poverty in Tanzania. My dad was furious but my mum understood.

It was 6months filled with lessons, tears, experience and a firsthand witness to the sufferings of others... We tended to the poorest of the poor in rural Tanzania.

I later came down to Borno and later North bank area of Benue state, I realized there were a lot of vulnerable people that are hungry and can't afford even cheap medical care thus they die of common malaria.

I didnt stay long in Borno before I started having this feeling of fatigue and blurry vision, I thought it was cuz of the stress that comes with what I do, so I decided to go home. Few days after getting home I started feeling this head splitting headache, I thought it was malaria/typhoid of which a lab test later confirmed.. Out of curiosity, I told the doctor to run a full check up.. Just to be on a safe side.. Which he did..

You should imagine my surprise when he told me I was HIV positive.. Nothing has ever prepared me for that moment.. It was funny how a malaria treatment could turn to an HIV nightmare.. I thought of just ending my life right then.

But i braced myself and took the drugs, I was surprised that it was free in Nigeria sef.

I rushed home and took my girlfriend to run the test and it turned out that she has it too...
We've been taking the drugs for the past 5years now with an high Cd4 count and a low viral load.. The virus is not detectable in our blood stream anymore and we are happily married and our first twin boys are negative.

If you're out there and you've been in my shoes.. Its not the end of your life.. Life just happens and its not entirely your fault.

I don't smoke, drink or live a reckless life or sleep around, like I've been in only one relationship all my life, so its not about your lifestyle.
I don't know if I got it from the idp camps or my girlfriend(she was the only person I was with at that time), we just didn't care, we moved on.

So lovelies, Take your ARV drugs, take fruits, eat well, within 3-6 months you can still have unprotected sex throughout your life with your partner without infecting them or your children.. You can live your life to the fullest and more.

P.s: HIV patients do not look skinny and dried up.. That's just an archaic stereotype...
It is also not a death sentence.

1539 Likes 180 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by ManuelMount(m): 4:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
@op

Wish I could meet you in person

207 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by MrMicholo(m): 4:42pm On Apr 15, 2020

709 Likes 40 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 15, 2020
this is why its always important to have protected sex than to be nacking raw under the guise of trust.so how did ur girl react when she found she had HIV.did she blame u?
anyway having HIV is not the end of life.

175 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by simplepee(f): 4:46pm On Apr 15, 2020
ManuelMount:

@op

Are you Hiv positive?.

111 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Veryfoolishboy: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2020
The best thing is to stick to a partner and avoid sharing sharp objects.

Heck! A man should be able to afford a 5k clipper, instead of sharing a barbing saloon clipper.

168 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OutharryHIV: 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2020
MrMicholo:
Thank you 4 this OP. I discovered my status few months ago 2, I felt my life was over, it was a terrible period coupled with the fact that I had no knowledge about the medical evolution & breakthrough being done on the virus.. I thought it led to death like it was years ago.. My boss noticed my always lost and confused state and just gave me leave to get my shit together and one Nurse (A Lieutenant) counselled me ehh, told me whatsup and cleared my doubt ehh. I realized there was hope.
I'm stronger now, also trying to get my happiness back.
Do you belong to any support group, Op??
Wow.. Thank you for your service officer.. my prayers would always remain with you guys.. I've always admired men of the armed forces cuz that was once my dream..
I thank God you are stronger now..
I'd try to pm you so I could support in my own little way..

i do not really belong to a support group.. trying to put one together.
ManuelMount:

@op

It can be arranged.

92 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by internationalman(m): 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2020
I fear getting a girl who I don't plan on marrying pregnant more than contracting any of these viruses...

177 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by 21cents: 4:51pm On Apr 15, 2020
HIV no dey show for face.

I once chased a girl out of my room cos she demanded a raw sex and I didn't yield to it.

to the op, i conclude your GF gave you HIV since you said you don't fuçk around. continue to stay strong bro.

322 Likes 22 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by simplepee(f): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
lefulefu:
this is why its always important to have protected sex than to be nacking raw under the guise of trust.so how did ur girl react when she found she had HIV.did she blame u?
Ehen, they don come, they want to hear the WHOLE story. Oga they are married with kids, leave the rest.

896 Likes 58 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by 21cents: 4:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
Veryfoolishboy:
The best thing is to stick to a partner and avoid sharing sharp objects.
Heck! A man should be able to afford a 5k clipper, instead of sharing a barbing saloon clipper

rate of infection from clipper is extremely low and non existent provided your barber sterilizes the teeth of the clipper with fire. no virus in this world can survive exposure to fire.

but it's still good getting a clipper tho.

457 Likes 24 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Ningen(m): 4:55pm On Apr 15, 2020
I think you got it from your girlfriend.
Damn. She must be a very talented actress.

156 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Veryfoolishboy: 4:56pm On Apr 15, 2020
21cents:

rate of infection from clipper is extremely non existent provided your barber sterilizes the teeth of the clipper with fire. no virus in this world can survive exposure to fire.

read your own post again. Now read it to yourself slowly

Don't learn the hard way bro. Go and buy your own clipper

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OutharryHIV: 4:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
lefulefu:
Like every human, she was shocked and couldn't accept the result but like I said earlier, we chose to put it behind us and move on.
And she didn't blame me.. she knows me and the kind of life I live and what I have been doing..
We dated for 8 years before marriage.

208 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 15, 2020
21cents:

rate of infection from clipper is extremely non existent provided your barber sterilizes the teeth of the clipper with fire. no virus in this world can survive exposure to fire.

commonest way u contact it is unprotected sex but it is still wise using ur own clipper cos there are other skin irritation u might contact from sharing a clipper not necessarily HIV.

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 15, 2020
Ningen:
I think you got it from your girlfriend.
Damn. She must be a very talented actress.
i believe the advice some churches give that intending married couples do HIV test b4 marriage is a wise idea.Imagine getting married to a girl with a wild past and not knowing the infections she might have carried.if she say no to the hiv test then u two can break up.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by 21cents: 5:01pm On Apr 15, 2020
lefulefu:
commonest way u contact it is unprotected sex but it is still wise using ur own clipper cos there are other skin irritation u might contact from sharing a clipper not necessarily HIV.

you're right Sha. but nothing dreads me more than viruses like HIV.

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 15, 2020
21cents:

true..the quickest way to get it is sharing infected syringes with each other(common with drug junkies) then also unprotected sex.the believe that hiv virus can remain in an infected blood when that bloodstain is exposed for a long time for a long time when exposed is completely false.

13 Likes

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OutharryHIV: 5:04pm On Apr 15, 2020
NextD18:
The statement "HIV is not the end of your life " is nothing but scam.

It is the end!

Just like Sickle Cell patients.

They are all living corpse. Let's embrace the truth, enlighten people on the dangers of HIV and stop giving them reasons to have unprotected sexual activities.
You actually have a point but I didn't give anyone a reason to keep having unprotected sex.. I've actually preached abstinence all my life... The reason I shared a personal story was to encourage those that already have it that there is still life.. You can live as long as you want.

And someone with HIV is not a living corpse sir, choose your words wisely.. Their chances of growing old is high.. higher than sickle cell patients.. I thought you should know this actually judging from most of your comments I read here.

466 Likes 27 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 15, 2020
21cents:

you're right Sha. but nothing dreads me more than viruses like HIV.
if u not reckless and u play safe u cant get it cheesy.though u can get it from ur partner if u faithful and she slays outside and u have unprotected sex with her still cheesy.

20 Likes

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by klenton(m): 5:14pm On Apr 15, 2020
oga, what exactly is the moral of this your story, that once someone texts positive they should just marry their partner and procreate HIV free kids and everything will be okay??

if you don't want to tell a story and let people learn from your experience then dont
leaving out completely how u got the virus, handled the stigma and healed defeats what ever lesson your trying to put out there.

prevention as always is better than cure, from your story is obvious your family is rich and that explains why you have to get married immediately with the financial implications involved in not just the marriage but raising a family, yours might be an exception and that is not a lesson.

148 Likes 14 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Activistman(m): 5:20pm On Apr 15, 2020
At OP, I like the fact that you're tactful in dealing with the situation and coupled with the fact that you didn't take it personally, but instead quickly encouraged your spouse to run the test which confirmed her status, too. So much lessons to learn from your experience.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by illicit(m): 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2020
you can't force it down my throat that u don't drink, smoke, womanise etc. people who do the above are not necessarily potential HIV patients oga Ade

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OlawaleBammie: 5:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
OutharryHIV:

Like every human, she was shocked and couldn't accept the result but like I said earlier, we chose to put it behind us and move on.
And she didn't blame me.. she knows me and the kind of life I live and what I have been doing..
We dated for 8 years before marriage.

Oga na ur girl give u, people like you are not always around and you know gals na.

thank goodness u re married and not only dat, happily married, and dat is d ultimate.

But me hmm, if i see ordinary butterfly flying away, i wil like to know where its coming from and where its heading to.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by OutharryHIV: 5:30pm On Apr 15, 2020
klenton:

oga, what exactly is the moral of this your story, that once someone texts positive they should just marry their partner and procreate HIV free kids and everything will be okay??

if you don't want to tell a story and let people learn from your experience then dont
leaving out completely how u got the virus, handled the stigma and healed defeats what ever lesson your trying to put out there.

prevention as always is better than cure, from your story is obvious your family is rich and that explains why you have to get married immediately with the financial implications involved in not just the marriage but raising a family, yours might be an exception and that is not a lesson.
I'm really sorry you got it the way you did.. I'm not really good at writing or expressing myself.. took me a great deal of time to put that one together.
I can take it down if you wish.

163 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 15, 2020
21cents:
HIV no dey show for face.

I once chased a girl out of my room cos she demanded a raw sex and I didn't yield to it.

to the op, i conclude your GF gave you HIV since you said you don't fuçk around. continue to stay strong bro.
thats why she wasnt mad and angry when op told her he is hiv positive.u think a girl who is faithful to u and u tell her u hiv positive and she found out she was positive as well will take it calmly grin

129 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Goddys(m): 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2020
I know people with sickle cell anaemia that have lived till old age. The above assertion that sickle cell anaemia patient has low chance of attaining old age is false once they cross over to mid thirty

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by Randy100: 5:39pm On Apr 15, 2020
You didn't tell us the side effect of all those antiretroviral drugs that you have been popping since five years. My brother HIV is a dead sentence.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by hidhrhis(m): 5:39pm On Apr 15, 2020
It is well

1 Like

Re: How I Found Out I Was HIV Positive!!! by LedRock: 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2020
Chi59:

Here's a brainless one.
This girl goes around insulting people.

17 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Doctor Sleeps With Married Lady During Abortion While Husband Waits Outside / British Man Who Lost Penis To Blood Infection Has New One Built On His Arm / No Bra Day 2019 Trends On Twitter: See How Nigerians Are Marking It (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.