Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region (2624 Views)

11 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Never Played For Nigeria / Oshoala, Ebi, Oluehi In AWCON Best 11 Of The Group Stage. / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by SmartyPants(m): 11:21am On Apr 19, 2020
toffyz:
All of una forget Emmanuel Amunike

Chaiii! Plus Emmanuel Emenike sef...amended.
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by sageb: 5:20pm On Apr 19, 2020
SmartyPants:
The north will be one region as I don't know plenty northern players:

Using a 3-5-2 formation

Forwards:
Rashidi Yekini
Ahmed Musa

Midfield:
Tijani Babangida
Daniel Amokachi
Garba Lawal
Ogenyi Onazi

Defenders:
Juwon Oshaniwa (Kogi)
Shehu Abdulahi
Celestine Babayaro
Jamilu Collins

Goal Keeper:
Peter Rufai

Subs:
Rabiu Ibrahaim
Sani Keita
peter Rufai is a royal prince of idimu in lagos statesmiley
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by sageb: 5:34pm On Apr 19, 2020
SmartyPants:
Let me do one for South West

Defenders:
Danny Shittu
Dele Adeleye
Adefemi Adebayo
Ismaila Taye Taiwo

Midfielders:
Oluwaseyi George Olofinjana
Mutiu Adepoju
Segun Odegbami

Forwards:
Teslim Balogun
Obafemi Martins
Femi Opabunmi

Goalkeeper:
Dele Aiyenugba
Dele Ajibade
Dele Alampasu

Subs:
Ramon Azeez
Haruna Lukman
Leon Balogun
Moses Simon
Ayodele Makinwa
Rabiu Afolabi

peter rufai and ike shorunmo should be the number 1 and 2 goalkeeper here
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by SmartyPants(m): 5:40pm On Apr 19, 2020
sageb:
peter Rufai is a royal prince of idimu in lagos statesmiley

So no keeper for the North at all??
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by sageb: 5:48pm On Apr 19, 2020
SmartyPants:

So no keeper for the North at all??
there is one Emmanuel Babayaro but he featured in atlanta 96.
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by wealthtrak: 4:47pm On Jun 17, 2021
SmartyPants:

Very strong team but Oliseh is Delta and Oliha
Is Edo. You should have added Chidi Odiah.

According to another poster, the Okocha brothers are Delta too
@SmartyPants

Nduka Ugbade is an Olukumi by ethnicity from Ugbodu in Aniocha North of Delta State, and NOT from the South East as stated by the
poster who quoted you above.

Nduka was the iconic captain of the 1985 Under-16 World Cup-winning team in China which I watched live on TV then on NTA. They were the first Nigerian football team to ever win a FIFA World Cup. grin

The Olukumis have Yoruba ancestries from Akure, Owo,Ife,
and migrated from Bini via Esanland where they temporarily lived to their present permanent homeland centuries back. Other branches of the Olukumis migrated via Usen town (founded by Ile Ife migrants) in Edo State.

Large Yoruba trading communities lived for centuries in Bini and other
Edo State areas, and Edo-speaking trading communities also lived in
Yorubaland in places such as Akure, Owo, etc.

The Olukumis speak a language that is of Yoruba, and also Ibo origins because of acculturation from Ibo-speaking communities
in Delta North. The Delta North
or Anioma towns have migrants
from Esan, Bini, Yoruba, Igala,
Nri/Ibo migrants from centuries
back. The area has heterogenous ethnic origins, but the Ibo linguistic dialects are common to that area of Delta State.

This is the reason why some people from that Anioma area of Delta say they are NOT Ibos (or identify as non-Ibos despite having names such as Nduka, etc), while others identify as Ibos being that they
have an Eastern Ibo/Nri migration. grin

Hope this helps.

All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by ariesbull: 8:59am On Jun 18, 2021
wealthtrak:

@SmartyPants

Nduka Ugbade is an Olukumi by ethnicity from Ugbodu in Aniocha North of Delta State, and NOT from the South East as stated by the
poster who quoted you above.

Nduka was the iconic captain of the 1985 Under-16 World Cup-winning team in China which I watched live on TV then on NTA. They were the first Nigerian football team to ever win a FIFA World Cup. grin

The Olukumis have Yoruba ancestries from Akure, Owo,Ife,
and migrated from Bini via Esanland where they temporarily lived to their present permanent homeland centuries back. Other branches of the Olukumis migrated via Usen town (founded by Ile Ife migrants) in Edo State.

Large Yoruba trading communities lived for centuries in Bini and other
Edo State areas, and Edo-speaking trading communities also lived in
Yorubaland in places such as Akure, Owo, etc.

The Olukumis speak a language that is of Yoruba, and also Ibo origins because of acculturation from Ibo-speaking communities
in Delta North. The Delta North
or Anioma towns have migrants
from Esan, Bini, Yoruba, Igala,
Nri/Ibo migrants from centuries
back. The area has heterogenous ethnic origins, but the Ibo linguistic dialects are common to that area of Delta State.

This is the reason why some people from that Anioma area of Delta say they are NOT Ibos (or identify as non-Ibos despite having names such as Nduka, etc), while others identify as Ibos being that they
have an Eastern Ibo/Nri migration. grin

Hope this helps.

All the best.

So nduka and Ogbade Na olukumi name

1 Like

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by philo04(m): 9:56am On Jun 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by wealthtrak: 10:27am On Jun 18, 2021
ariesbull:

So nduka and Ogbade Na olukumi name
@ariesbull

Lol, okay!... They (Olukumis) bear
Yoruba, Edoid and Iboid names
just like other Anioma towns
because of acculturation...

Ugbodu shares boundaries
with Esanland in Edo state, and other ANIOMA (Iboid-speaking) communities in Delta North.
The name of the traditional ruler
or Oloza (derived dialectically from the Yoruba word: "Oloja" or leader
of traders/market owner) is
HRM (Oloza) Ayo Isinyemeze.
Ayo is Yoruboid or Olukumi
while Isinyemeze is Iboid.

Nduka Ugbade is from Ugbodu which is close to Onicha Ugbo
and Issele Uku, the headquarters
of Aniocha North. Ukwu Nzu (or
Eko Efun meaning "white chalk" in the Olukumi language because of the chalk mining in the town) is another major Olukumi town.

Olukumi warriors also took part in the famous "Ekumeku" resistance wars against the British colonial invasion of the Anioma areas of Delta North in Delta State. The
British won in the 1900s and balkanized the area into Western and Eastern Nigeria.

Google 'Olukumi' and read up
more on online newspapers such
as The Nation, Tribune and
Wikipedia to know more.

Hope the info here helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by OdogwuAnambra: 10:30am On Jun 18, 2021
my o my
wealthtrak:

@ariesbull

Ugbodu shares boundaries
with Esanland in Edo state, and other ANIOMA (Iboid-speaking) communities in Delta North.

Eko Efun meaning "white chalk" in the Olukumi language because of the chalk mining in the town) is another major Olukumi town.

Olukumi warriors also took part in the famous "Ekumeku" resistance wars against the British colonial invasion of the Anioma areas of Delta North in Delta State. The
British won in the 1900s and balkanized the area into Western and Eastern Nigeria.

Wikipedia to know more.

1 Like

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by ariesbull: 3:57pm On Jun 18, 2021
wealthtrak:

@ariesbull

Ugbodu shares boundaries

Wikipedia to know more.

hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by Searchingvictor: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2022
SmartyPants:

Okocha is from Enugu na

Boss thank you for the other day.
I really appreciate the effort that you made and please I need a favour from you

.. How was your day? Please can I see 5k or can u lend me 5k till next week from you. Please
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by Emperormartin(m): 11:49pm On Aug 26, 2022
SmartyPants:
Let me do one for South West

Defenders:
Danny Shittu
Dele Adeleye
Adefemi Adebayo
Ismaila Taye Taiwo

Midfielders:
Oluwaseyi George Olofinjana
Mutiu Adepoju
Segun Odegbami

Forwards:
Teslim Balogun
Obafemi Martins
Femi Opabunmi

Goalkeeper:
Dele Aiyenugba
Dele Ajibade
Dele Alampasu

Subs:
Ramon Azeez
Haruna Lukman
Leon Balogun
Moses Simon
Ayodele Makinwa
Rabiu Afolabi

Moses Simon is from Benue state
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by Kog45(m): 5:42am On Aug 27, 2022
SmartyPants:
Hi guys, this is a fun little game I thought up, no tribalism intended. So the point of the game is, which region in Nigeria has the best footballers?

To play, you create a full team of the best 11 players and 6 subs from your Region. We'll be using the 6 Geo-political zones of Nigeria.

Your list can include both current and ex players. I start with Niger Delta 11 with a 4 3 3 formation:

Forwards:
Finidi George (Bayelsa)
Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Edo)
Peter Odemwingie (Edo)

Midfielders
Wilson Oruma (Delta)
J. J Okocha (Delta)
Sunday Oliseh (Delta)

Defenders:

Efe Ambrose (Edo)
Joseph Yobo (Rivers)
Taribo West (Rivers)
William Troost Ekong (Akwa Ibom)

Keepers

Vincent Enyeama (Akwa Ibom)
Daniel Akpeyi (Delta)
Ambruse Vanzekin

Subs

Victor Ikpeba (Edo)
Julius Agahowa (Edo)
Nosa Igiebor (Edo)
Odion Ighalo (Edo)
Dickson Etuhu (Delta)
Victor Osimhen (Edo)

Standby:
Thompson Oliha (Edo)
Augustine Eguavoen (Delta)
Stephen Keshi (Delta)
Brown Ideye (Bayelsa)

Can your region beat this team?
Pls how on earth would Keshi and Eguavoen be on standby for Ekong and Ambrose.....did you really know Stephen Okechucwu Keshi,the first Nigerian to ever featured in any European cup final,this was Anderlecht against Sampdoria in 1991 UEFA cup.Keshi still remain best Nigeria defender with highest goals for super eagles,nine goals precisely.This man captain eagles at the age of 22 @afcon Ivory Coast 1984.

Keshi on standby and Ekong made your team,haba.

Pls go and check the record,Keshi remain the best defender to come out of Nigeria talkless of South South,only Christian Chuckwu came very close and according to you Yobo,Taribo,Ekong are ahead of him,NO my man.

1 Like

Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by SmartyPants(m): 7:57am On Oct 13, 2022
Kog45:
Pls how on earth would Keshi and Eguavoen be on standby for Ekong and Ambrose.....did you really know Stephen Okechucwu Keshi,the first Nigerian to ever featured in any European cup final,this was Anderlecht against Sampdoria in 1991 UEFA cup.Keshi still remain best Nigeria defender with highest goals for super eagles,nine goals precisely.This man captain eagles at the age of 22 @afcon Ivory Coast 1984.

Keshi on standby and Ekong made your team,haba.

Pls go and check the record,Keshi remain the best defender to come out of Nigeria talkless of South South,only Christian Chuckwu came very close and according to you Yobo,Taribo,Ekong are ahead of him,NO my man.

Sorry I be semi indomie generation so I never watched them play grin
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by Kingjite: 8:14am On Oct 13, 2022
SmartyPants:
South East:
Using a 4-3-3 formation:
Bro Wilfred Ndidi is from Umunede Delta State Forwards Kanu Nwanko Ike Uche Emmanuel Ammunike
Midfield: Kalu Uche Mikel Obi Wilfred Ndidi
Defenders: Ifeanyi Udeze Kenneth Omeruo Oyekachi Apam Chidi Odiah
Keepers: Austin Ejide Francis Uzoho
Subs: John Ogu Emmanuel Emenike Chinedu Obasi John Utaka Obinna Nsofor
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by Ceazarlee88: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2022
Wilfred Ndidi is from Umunede in Delta State
Re: Best 11 Nigerian Footballers By Region by yunus22: 10:49am On Nov 21, 2022
SmartyPants:

Interesting...not that I am disagreeing with you, but for the sake of others, is it possible for you to provide us with a source?
sir can I post the mail I sent you here or you've seen it?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos- Asamoah Gyan’s $3m “la Basilica De Baby Jet” Mansion / Open An Account With Merrybet Mobile Betting Free Bonus Link / What Lionel Messi Said After Sergio Ramos Mugged Him Off In El Clasico

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.