Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,503 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja (65099 Views)

Dr Chinelo Megafu's Body Arrives Lagos (Photos, Video) / Sanusi Lamido Begins Journey To Exile, Arrives Abuja Airport (Photos, Video) / Atiku Arrives Abuja, Received By Ben Bruce And Other PDP Members (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by highbee02: 11:55am On Apr 18, 2020
inoki247:
But Mr Lai said dem no go release any Corona dead body to dere family buh I guess Mallam Kyari body is different nd special

The attached picture, this is what happen when u claim to be Mr. Know All
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by DANJAKT: 11:58am On Apr 18, 2020
INNALILLAHI WAINNA ILAIHI RAJI'UN
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by gargoyle: 12:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
Ishilove:
"the remaining of Abba Kyari..."

'Exactly what I noticed myself.

Were his limbs amputated or what?
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Ishilove: 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
gargoyle:

'Exactly what I noticed myself.

Were his limbs amputated or what?
I wonder o
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by cardoctor(m): 12:04pm On Apr 18, 2020
kaylardz:
Everybody that will be attending the burial rite including the children of the deceased, imam and govt officials must immediately be isolated, quarantined and tested after the burial. The grave as well must be dug deeper than usual while the entire vicinity of the grave be vacated for at least 3 months.
Prevention they say is better than cure,

May God heal the land.

The ambulance driver should be quarantined also. See the windows of the ambulance wound up abviously with a/c on and trapped in the same atmosphere with the corpse. Nigeria get sense.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:06pm On Apr 18, 2020
Please, the minister of health said no private hospital has been given license to treat Coronavirus patients.

My question is, which private hospital was treating Kyari then? Shouldn't that hospital be closed for treating someone when they weren't licensed to do so?
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by adelaja70(m): 12:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
hisgrace090:
Aisha buhari may soon take back her room in aso rock forcefully occupied by kyare's family.
Not him... It's Daura family, the president's cousin.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 12:12pm On Apr 18, 2020
*The Death Of Abba Kyari, COVID-19 And Governance In Nigeria*

By ‘Tope Oriola

The death of Abba Kyari, Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, has sent shock waves through the socio-political landscape of Nigeria. Abba Kyari returned to Nigeria from a trip to Germany and was diagnosed with COVID-19 in March 2020. He died on Friday, 17 April 2020. Kyari was no ordinary political figure. He wielded spectacular presidential power and many believed he was de facto President of Nigeria. Abba Kyari was no mere mortal.

While we commiserate with the Kyari family, it is necessary to unpack the lessons his life and death offer on governance in Nigeria. No one should gloat over Kyari’s demise. No human can add an extra day to their time on earth but make no mistakes about it — Abba Kyari died a preventable death. Kyari belonged to a particularly vulnerable demographic but there are hundreds of people his age around the world who had COVID-19 and recovered.

It is certainly no comfort to his family and those who knew him but *Abba Kyari fell victim to Nigeria’s comatose health care system* . Given the focus on elites in Nigeria’s war against COVID-19, it is merely stating the obvious to suggest that Kyari received medical treatment that was unavailable to the average Nigerian.

A series of structural problems, organizational blunders and interpersonal hubris contributed to Kyari’s death. The first culprit is hubris. *Kyari refused to get tested and quarantine himself after returning from Germany. COVID-19 was already a huge problem when he returned from Germany in March 2020.* It was already evident that the virus was spreading in Europe, North America and China than anywhere else. Why did he not test and quarantine himself? We will never know. People from extremely religious countries like to assume they are somehow immune to something that in theory applies to everyone. That includes laws, public health policies, queues for goods and services, and orderly traffic, among others. Too many “special” people in a society lead to societal chaos and avoidable tragedies. The picture becomes clear when you had elite status — the Chief of Staff to the President no less!

*The second blunder was organizational. Officials at the airport did not do their job. Given our tendency to worship leaders, this would not have registered on their radar at the airport. Those who should have done their jobs without recourse to status would have melted on seeing the President’s Chief of Staff* . They too are culpable. To be fair, subjecting the President’s Chief of Staff to such a routine administrative process could be consequential in a country like ours. Abba Kyari should have been tested, quarantined and closely monitored. He might be alive today if appropriate protocols applicable to other citizens had been followed. When countries ensure that no one is above the law, it is generally for the good of all, including the powerful.

The third and more structural dimension concerns the healthcare system, which the elite, including Kyari, as a crucial arrowhead, had abandoned. *Therefore, at a time of a global pandemic, Kyari could not be flown overseas for treatment. Given the penchant of our elite for medical tourism over headaches, stomach upset and quality of their farts, he would have likely preferred overseas treatment.* Media reports indicated that there was no ICU in Abuja. The only available ICU in Abuja was reserved for the president who had come into contact with Kyari. Officials reportedly declined to put Kyari in the lone ICU in Abuja because they were concerned President Buhari might need the equipment. Kyari was therefore flown to Lagos. Valuable time would have been lost in the process.

Medical experts in Lagos would have undoubtedly given Kyari their best. *However, would Kyari have survived if treatment were available at the Aso Rock Clinic?* The clinic continues to gulp billions of Naira annually but has no medicine or equipment, according to the First Lady. Given that the Buhari administration had been in power for nearly five years, Abba Kyari’s death is a tragic own goal. *Would Kyari have survived if we had used the catering budget for the presidential villa to equip hospitals all over Abuja and the entire country? Would Kyari be alive if we had a sound healthcare system in Nigeria?* Why do we spend billions on imported vehicles for legislators and traditional rulers when our healthcare system is dilapidated?

Legitimate questions may be raised about why he went to Germany in the first place given his political portfolio and availability of a substantive minister. Such was Abba Kyari’s influence at the presidency that the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, a retired Major General, wrote to the Service Chiefs to criticize Kyari’s overriding of presidential directives as “reckless and irresponsible”, according to a leaked letter published by Premium Times. He was the key player in the Buhari administration but ultimately the system they failed to develop showed its texture and character. *I do not gloat over Abba Kyari’s death. My mother died in December 2018 due to the lack of emergency health line in Ogun State.* I write from a position of genuine concern for my country. We are all victims of the kind of society we have built. We all pay a huge price for governmental neglect, incompetence and elite insouciance.

This is time to reboot the federal government. Governance goes beyond allocating political positions and awarding contracts. It is both an art and a science of solving and envisaging problems, organizing human, material and ideational infrastructure. It is about securing and making life better, increasing happiness and making people prosper.

*I have stopped criticizing the Buhari administration. The president needs help.* I sincerely believe the government needs assistance. But will the remaining top players recognize that and bring on board the full spectrum of Nigerian talents and allow them to perform their duty? Nigerians are being pummeled by hunger due to the lockdown. We must not wait until there is anarchy before we act.

*I mourn with the family of Abba Kyari* . I hope it does not take the death of any person — elite or commoner — before we do the right thing.

Follow Oriola on Twitter: @topeoriola

2 Likes

Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 12:13pm On Apr 18, 2020
How Abba Kyari stopped ministry of health from equipping laboratories since 2018

Nigeria’s Ministry of Health’s inability to procure equipment and equip laboratories was because of the ban placed on the ministry by late Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari.

A report published by PUNCH in February said the ban placed on the ministry was affecting Nigeria’s preparation for a possible coronavirus pandemic.

This is despite the release of N386m by the Nigerian Government to scale up preparation to tackle the disease, Punch reported.

Kyari, had in October 2018 stripped the ministry of its powers to procure anything and transferred the authority to the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

The PUNCH reported that the development was caused by a power play between the former Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, and Kyari.

Eight months after Adewole’s exit, however, Kyari it was learnt, had failed to reverse the directive.

When contacted on the telephone, the Permanent Secretary of the health ministry, Abdullahi Mashi, told PUNCH that indeed the ministry had been barred from making procurements.

Mashi said the issues had been communicated to the appropriate authorities and the ministry of health had been asked to write a formal request asking for its procurement powers to be returned.

A top official at the health ministry said attempts to get the President’s chief of staff to reverse the situation had not yielded any positive results.

The official said both the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire and the Minister of State for Health, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, had met with Kyari over the issue but there had been no progress yet.

He said the situation had slowed down preparations for prevention of coronavirus. Kyari died of coronavirus on Friday days after he was diagnosed positive for the virus.

The official, who is also a doctor, said items like nose masks, chemicals and equipment were being procured through the Agric ministry.

He said, “We can’t easily get consumables like personal protective equipment, including nose masks.

“We need to improve our capacity for quarantine and surveillance and monitor those coming (to Nigeria), especially where we have a basis for suspicion. Logistics cost more money. We need to set up more labs, we need reagents. There is no way the suspension of our procurement powers will not affect our capacity.

“Even when we have money, we cannot activate procurement because we have been stripped of our powers of procurement.”

The source further stated that the ministry needed more thermal scanners at the various points of entry and this was being delayed.

“We need to deploy more staff. We need personnel capacity, training, logistics. All these things are important. All these things are not there when we need them.

“Even our thermal scanners at the airport, we need more at all our points of entry. So, it is affecting us seriously,” he said.

PUNCH reports that due to the friction between the former minister, Adewole, and Kyari, a directive was given to the then Permanent Secretary, Clement Uwaifo, in October 2018 that all contracts and procurement related issues must go through the ministry of Agric.

Documents obtained by PUNCH showed that whenever the ministry of health wants to make procurement, the permanent secretary would raise a memo which would be sent to the permanent secretary of the agric ministry.

It was observed that in some instances, the permanent secretary would give direct approval while sometimes, he would write a memo to the Director-General of the Bureau of Public Procurement, Mamman Ahmadu, who would approve based on the Procurement Act.

When contacted on the telephone, the Permanent Secretary of the health ministry, Abdullahi Mashi, told Sunday PUNCH that indeed the ministry had been barred from making procurements.

Mashi said the issues had been communicated to the appropriate authorities and the ministry of health had been asked to write a formal request asking for its procurement powers to be returned.

The permanent secretary, however, said the preventive measures put in place to tackle a potential Coronavirus outbreak were adequate despite the ministry’s procurement challenge.

He said all the major airports in Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Kano and Port Harcourt had been placed on alert and thermal scanners deployed.

On the procurement challenge, he said, “We were asked to write on the matter and we have written and we are expecting a response soon.

“For now, there is no gap. We have done everything within our power to secure our points of entry. It’s not true that it’s affecting coronavirus preparations. The five entry points are being properly manned by our men 24/7.”

When asked if the ministry was not worried by its inability to make procurements, he said, “I did not say the arrangement is working for us. I am the chief accounting officer and there is no way I will be comfortable with an arrangement whereby I have to approach another ministry for help. It is not working for me.”

When contacted on the telephone, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the health ministry was stripped of its procurement powers because it exceeded its spending limits.

He said, “The Ministry of Agriculture was appointed to do procurement on their behalf arising from a problem which was brought to the attention of the government by the Bureau of Public Procurement. The health ministry was authorised to spend N2bn but they spent N7bn.”

Shehu said the officials of the ministry who were lamenting to Sunday PUNCH should write to BPP instead of trying to blackmail Kyari.

He, however, did not respond on why the arrangement was still in place eight months after the exit of those involved in the unauthorised spending.

“This arrangement has been on for over a year. They should not try to use Coronavirus to blackmail the government. Let them approach BPP if they are sure that their house is in order,” he added.

Attempts to speak with the EFCC spokesman, Mr Tony Orilade, proved abortive as he neither responded to telephone calls nor a text message on Saturday.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Nathan308(m): 12:14pm On Apr 18, 2020
life RIP to the dead
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Ezehillary(m): 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2020
id911:
Abba Kyari was a good man. RIP Mallam!
what make him a good man
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Unitedabby(m): 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2020
Alwaysachick:

I thought nobody noticed that.
Me sef
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Steve28: 12:25pm On Apr 18, 2020
Buhari wife will assume that position now.

u11ae1013:
Who will now be giving orders in aso villa now
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Ebenezer2021(m): 12:32pm On Apr 18, 2020
PresidentAtiku:
See Life
cremated in Cuba. Did Kyari die in Cuba? I wonder why Igbos are this stupid
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by lukabewell: 12:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
My condolences to PMB
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Ebenezer2021(m): 12:36pm On Apr 18, 2020
Lanre4uonly:
May Allah accept his return and comfort the family he left behind.
My condolences to the family, presidency and to the good people of Borno State.
is Kyari from Bornu?
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:38pm On Apr 18, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
is Kyari from Bornu?
Yes, a kanuri man from Borno.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by kolasoft: 12:40pm On Apr 18, 2020
may his rest in perfect peace amen
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by wyqay: 12:43pm On Apr 18, 2020
Lies flying everywhere
Focus on your life oga
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by IamTallest: 12:43pm On Apr 18, 2020
Someone dat has bin dead for a while now.keep fooling urselfs.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by OlaMiki: 12:52pm On Apr 18, 2020
shocked shocked
kaylardz:
Everybody that will be attending the burial rite including the children of the deceased, imam and govt officials must immediately be isolated, quarantined and tested after the burial. The grave as well must be dug deeper than usual while the entire vicinity of the grave be vacated for at least 3 months.
Prevention they say is better than cure,

May God heal the land.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by justgabby(m): 12:55pm On Apr 18, 2020
May it be well with Abba Kyari's soul.
But isn't this the man some govt. officials were complaining about for taking over or interfering in their job?.
Don't we have a minister in charge of power?
Wasn't his job limited to running the office of the president and his immediate staffs?
Over- Sabi naim kill am. Just my personal verdit, after all, wetin I know
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by PresidentAtiku(m): 1:04pm On Apr 18, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
cremated in Cuba. Did Kyari die in Cuba? I wonder why Igbos are this stupid
have you had your drugs this morning? Where did you see Cuba in my post? Are you mentally OK?
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by wonder233: 1:17pm On Apr 18, 2020
Your dad is better of without seeing Abba Kyari
khaffi2:
Inalillahi wahina ileihi rojiun.

If it's possible the dead do see dead, greet those you'll meet there.

Say me hi to my dad. It's been over 21 years without you dad. We miss you cry cry cry
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by bighorlus(m): 1:22pm On Apr 18, 2020
If the government could allow this type of burial amidst this crisis then they have no right to arrest people or close down churches. Every other Nigeria should have a right to bury their own dead and practice their faith too.
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Burruchaga71(m): 1:52pm On Apr 18, 2020
Aisha your room in Asorock is available now thanks to Mr Corona
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by Legendguru: 3:10pm On Apr 18, 2020
Finally after covering up
Re: Abba Kyari's Body Arrives Abuja by josephobaro(m): 3:21pm On Apr 18, 2020
khaffi2:
Inalillahi wahina ileihi rojiun.

If it's possible the dead do see dead, greet those you'll meet there.

Say me hi to my dad. It's been over 21 years without you dad. We miss you cry cry cry
mine will be 25 years. He should greet them both.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'Get More Guns' - MC Oluomo Asking His Opponents (Video) / Bala Mohammed Jnr's very Rich Garage. Pic / MC Oluomo Loses Lagos NURTW Chairmanship To Michael Odugunle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.