Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. (3328 Views)

The Soldier / A Soldier That Loves Me- A Fat Girl's Story / WAR And LOVE ( Story Of Ex Soldier Contain War, Love And Commedy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by crossfm: 9:59am On Apr 22, 2020
Interesting times ahead.

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 11:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
Chapter two loading....... less than 30hours.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by okrikaboi: 10:14am On Apr 24, 2020
Good story you got here mate

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 12:19am On Apr 29, 2020
What a lovely story... But why did the writer stop??

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 9:41pm On May 13, 2020
My apologies to my readers, i did not intend to have this long break from the thread but i have been very busy at work with no time to think or write.
I will start to update it now that i have some time off.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 10:50pm On May 13, 2020
Apology accepted
Welcome back
Soknown:
My apologies to my readers, i did not intend to have this long break from the thread but i have been very busy at work with no time to think or write.
I will start to update it now that i have some time off.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:36pm On May 18, 2020
Sliss:
Apology accepted
Welcome back
Thanks.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 12:55pm On May 18, 2020
Some of the nurses know me already so i did not have any problem approaching them to ask for the reverend sister. I was told she was in the labor ward at the moment, i told myself that i will wait, i have to talk to a sane person. I waited for three hours before i could see her. She was not surprised to see me, she offered me a cup of tea as usual, which i declined. She pat me on the head and said Jagamu, what is eating you up.
Me - Maami, want to send me to Lagos to stay with my Uncle.
Sis Olisa - She clapped her hands and said ' thank you, Lord'. When are you leaving?
Me - I do not want to go, i do not think i can go.
Sis Olisa - Why is that?
Me - I have never lived apart or away from my mother. I do not know what it will be like.
Sis Olisa - Now let me tell you something, what you feel now is normal, it is fear of the unknown. Leaving a comfort zone is never easy but for you to become greater than what you are now, you have to always defy that fear and launch outside of your comfort zone. What do you have in this town, that you do not want to leave behind?
When i was going into the convent, i have everything a young girl could possibly wish for. My parents were well-to-do, i have a business of my own, a house was given to me by father, had gone through at least three rich boyfriends, i have exhausted three international passports all at age 20. But when the need for inner peace became unbearable and the need to become greater than the path i have chosen, it was not an easy decision but i am happy that i chose this path that enables me to attend to the need of another person. I am no longer living to assuage my selfish needs but helping others at their hours of need, it brings so much satisfaction to me now than jumping at the next available flight to the farthest holiday destinations. Jagamu, what i am telling you is this, there is so much more that you can do with your life than what you have in this town, the whole world is your stage so step up. She stood up patted my back, i do not know if i can hug a reverend sister, so i just prostrated and left, she stood at the door watching me as i left. I went back to my house and wept bitterly, i now understand that i have to leave.

Few days later, my Uncle sent a car to bring me to Lagos, it was a clean Nissan Bluebird. A day before my departure, i have said farewell to Remi, we both shed tears as i hugged her. Not knowing what to say, i told her not to forget me and to always follow her dreams and passions. I wrote my Uncle's house address on her palm. I released her and started going, i stopped after ten feet from her, then she rushed back to hug me again. We hugged tightly like never before, i could feel her heart pounding on my chest. Blood was welling into my head and all part of my body. I moved my head a little so that i can look into her eyes but she wouldn't let me, she buried her head on my chest. I moved my hands over hair, then neck. She made a little sound. Then a familiar voice jolted us back into reality that we were outside her house. Remi, come back here. her mother hollered from inside the house. She let go and ran inside her house.
I went to check Abdol, he is the only one that stayed with me, the other two brutes left when it became obvious that i will be going to Lagos. We exchanged pleasantries and started reminiscing about years past and our friendship. He said he is considering going to stay with his Aunt in Ibadan too. The hardest farewell was with Maami and Tinuke, my sister. Maami had a long ancestral chants and blessings. In the end, i prostrated then hugged her, with some drops of tears i told her, i am going to make her proud. Tinuke clung to me like a twine.

The driver was to take me straight to Gowon Estate where my Uncle lives so he said as if Gowon Estate is the next street, he is not very good at small talks, he told me as we were driving out of the town but that i can ask questions, he will answer as much as he can. With that open license to ask, i kept asking all sorts of questions. He woke me up when we got to Ojoo in Ibadan, i asked him if he will be driving through UCH. He answered - we will be driving through Iwo road intersection then joining Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
He told me he used to be a tout at the popular Iwo road Inter-state Bus park. He ran away from his family in Osogbo, when his father did not allow him to join a theater group. He came to Ibadan with a friend. They rented a room with their little savings from hawking oranges in the traffic. He parted ways with his friend over a girl that they met in the traffic market. He said he slept in the park for two months until one night when the park was attacked by a rival bus park management group in abid to take over the park. He joined in the fight to retain the park for the present chairman of the park though he was injured in the fracas, the boss rushed him to a private hospital. His straight face but tender demeanor endeared him to one of the hospital's staff who told him that he could help him to join the army recruitment if he wants. He jumped at the offer and he was successful in the recruitment.
We got to Berger and then Dopemu, he got over Dopemu bridge using Agege road passed in front of the massive La Roche, the chemical company. Soon we were at Gowon Estate where my uncle lives with his family. The house is magnificent, a duplex painted with a mix of white, green, and brown. The gate opened to us automatically. Uncle Dekunle was in the balcony upstairs waiving at us. I stepped out of the car and looked around, i could not believe myself that this is going to be my house now.
My cousins Jide and Tolu jumped down from the staircase to greet and help me in unloading my luggage. Jide was 14 years old and Tolu was11, we have met once when Uncle Dekinle brought them to Iseyin. Nike the oldest was 16, She stood aloof watching from afar, she waved her hand at me as her own welcome greetings.

I went upstairs to greet my Uncle. He was beaming with joy smiling from ear to ear. I am happy with the reception i am getting. Jide showed me to my room. The interior is painted in white, it has a double bed and a large wardrobe with full size mirror attached to one of the doors and at one angle, there is a reading table and chair, there is an adjoining bathroom to complete the ensuite status.
Tolu was still bringing my luggage into the room when i remembered that some of the luggage belongs to their mother. Maami has prepared some rare vegetables, locust bean, and palm-oil for her. I told Jide and tolu to take the two bags containing palm oil and vegetables to the kitchen pending the time their mom would come back. My sister-in-law is a nurse and has gone for the Afternoon Shift. The two boys told me that there is no place in the kitchen. I wanted to snap at them, what do they mean, there is no place. Is it because the bag is a little dirty.
They saw the look on my face, Jide said truly there is no place to put the bags in the kitchen, that they would put it in the store. As we were unloading my other bags, Nike burst into the room without knocking, Jide accosted her.
Jide - Hey, this is boys' room now ok. you need to knock before you enter.
Nike - Ok, boys in boys only room, when you are done, playing and goofing around with loads and luggage, come downstairs.
Tolu - Ok boss.
Nike - Jagamu, that inludes you.
Jide - do you realize that is the first time you are speaking to him.
Nike - My words are gold, i do not waste them. so she left the room.
The boys said she thinks she is a diva, ordering everyone around, that she seems threatened when she sees new people.
Me - can you let her know that i am not here to disrupt whatever she has going, so no need to feel threatened, and please go downstairs, she seems to need you to do something. I will join you.
The boys chuckled, saying she does not need anyone, she only came to pass a message that she call the shot in the house.
Jide - Do not mind her bro, she is the resident evil and principal principality, in this house. Since mom is not always around, she sees herself as the de-facto leader.
We all laugh out loud as the boys left, the boys like me since the first time they were brought to the village, they were walking around the houses on the street, when they were stopped by some touts coming from the motor park, the touts wanted to harass and get money out of them seeing they were new and seems well to do. One passerby told them to leave the boys alone or they will have to face Patako esin, on hearing that the touts fled. That incident left a lasting impression on my cousins and they never forgot that.
I finished unpacking the loads and arranging my clothes, i was so refreshed after enjoying a cold shower before I joined them downstairs,
Me - Nike i am here, what do you have for us.
Nike - Sit down.
Me - Looking at the boys giggling, i sat down.
Nike - Welcome to Lagos, how was your journey.
Me - Hectic but here we are, the driver tried. How long has he been here working with the family?
Nike - (Ignoring my question), i called you to come downstairs so that my brothers can give you proper orientation. But to start with, that room that you are now is one of my rooms. I will need it in the dry season, It is the coldest room in this house because of its wide windows and its angulation to the wind. So be sure you are moving out to another room when the time comes. Jide can you show him around the house, except my room.
Me - Ok maami.
Everyone burst into waves of laughter.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 1:14pm On May 18, 2020
Two sets of professionals that i respect more at this trying moment in history are the teachers and writers/content creators.

Teachers, because i have to do a bit of teaching at home, after two hours, the children will ask if they can go for a break. Break for what? grin

Writers/ content creators, with this project that i have started i now know it is not easy to recreate thoughts into words and vivid images. Back in the school days, i and my colleagues labelled some writers as hungry authors, but i know better now.

# A LITTLE DIGRESSION.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 5:55pm On May 18, 2020
Thanks for the update bro

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by haiti007(m): 2:51pm On May 25, 2020
Following and awaiting more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 4:47pm On May 25, 2020
Soknown where are you

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 5:07pm On May 29, 2020
The following week was interesting as i was able to integrate well with the family, My Uncle took me to the Army Command College in iyana-ipaja for registration. I passed the physical tests and the blood tests came back with good results. But i did not perform well in the cognitive tests so i was registered to start at Senior class two instead of three which means i will not be sitting for the final senior secondary school examination next year. My Uncle expected that i will be angry but i was not, i accepted it as fate. I am a realist, i failed the cognitive test so why should i complained.

Nike poked fun at me when we got home that she had thought, she have no one to teach now as she had thought we will sit for the examination together. Life moves on quickly and we resumed School in September. Nike attends a posh private secondary school on Mobolaji bank-Anthony way in Ikeja, while Jide and Tolu attend a faith-based private school in Yaba. They go to school using the school bus but my uncle's driver drops me at school every morning.

On my first day, i was taken to the principal officer of the school and then the teacher in charge of my class, i was also shown around the important places, like the assembly ground, the Library, the Science laboratories, Geography laboratories and the kitchen. On entering the classroom, i quickly scanned through the size of the room, it is about 20f x 30f, with two doors and six windows. Two airconditioners mounted just above two windows. The class teacher introduced me to other students and asked them to do the same.The first week at school was very difficult as i tried to fit into the class system and order, trying to blend without attracting attention to myself. I was the tallest and oldest in class so i decide to sit at the back so that i will not block height-challenged students from seeing the teacher.

One tiny girl that usually sit at the middle of the glass approached me, gosh you are so tall, aren't you?
I smiled at her and answered. height is relative, my mother would say no one is tall or short, it depends on the reference point. She laughed as she introduced herself as Tina. Tina introduced me to Laura and Kiki, the only twin sisters in the whole school.

I found out learning here is different from back in Iseyin, great effort is put into the teaching and making sure we understand each topic. Apart from that there are a lot of physical activities, each student belongs to a platoon coordinated by the platoon leader who is either a teacher or one of the SS3 students. I belong platoon 7, we have our physical training on Wednesdays, we usually start off with jogging on the pitch for 5 rounds. then we will have our stretches, followed by the parade and finally practice parade with music. I have enrolled to learn to play the tuba and cello.

I did not know i could be liked as my fellow classmate like me, actually it was not without a cause, i saved them having to jog around the pitch under a mid-day sun. That fateful day, we came back from lunch break. The English teacher came in and started off as usual.
Who can give me two antonyms for an abomination? The whole class went silent.
Mr Abubakir - Give me two antonyms for abomination? or you all will do five rounds on the pitch this afternoon.
Linda - something you are not supposed to do.
Olu - something that is forbidden.
Ejoor - Hideous acts.
Mr Abubakir - No, you are all wrong. Buckle up your shoes, shall we go
Me - Taboo,
Mr Abubakir - who said that, who said that.
So i raised my hands,
Mr Abubakir- oh the new student, can you repeat it
Me - Taboo.
Mr Abubakir - do you want to attempt the second word
Me - I am not sure, but maybe sacrilege.
Mr Abubakir- ok the new boy has saved you, so i need you to check up on those words abomination, sacrilege, and taboo in the dictionary and write it 100 times in your notebook before my next class. Then he delved into the topic of the day.
So since that day, i became the darling of the class.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 9:55am On May 30, 2020
Welcome back bro
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 10:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
Sliss:
Welcome back bro
Thanks for the update
Thanks for keeping faith with me.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Soknown: 10:59pm On Jun 01, 2020
The school is hierarchical even amongst students, the senior class 3 goes for the break first before others, but that changed in December of my first term in the school. The day started with gathering on the assembly ground for a brief address from the Provost, then each class broke out into their respective classroom for the day's study. No one could have imagined that one of the senior students came to school with a grenade ball to show his girlfriend. While man-handling the deadly ball, the safety clip went off and he had to quickly throw it away from himself, it exploded and damaged the cafeteria and the surrounding structures. The loud noise caused a lot of panic both within the school and the surrounding neighborhood, Students were running helter-skelter, not heeding to instructions blaring from the loudspeakers placed around the school, the safety master was shouting his head off on the megaphone to no avail. None of the cafeteria staff was injured and the responsible students escaped being maimed through the explosion by strings of luck. The post-incident investigation panel reviewed security camera still images from around the school and showed the moment the boy took the grenade out in the company of his girl-friend. The two of them were arrested from their respective houses. His father was also arrested to know how his son was able to lay hand on the grenade ball. One of the recommendations from the directorate of army children education corps mandated that the Senior class should be last in all proceedings.

I was looking forward to Christmas break as my Uncle promised to take all of us to the village for Christmas vacation, he planned that we will go to the village on the 20th of December and come back on the 30th. My Sister-in-law, working with Sam Ethnan Air Force Base Hospital, Airport Road, Ikeja has applied for leave for this moment.
On the 18th of December, 1992 my Uncle came home to tell us that his plans have changed, that he is wanted by the defense headquarters in Abuja. Before this day The commander-in-chief has canceled the contract awarded to Zenit construction company Asphalt relaying of Lagos-Ibadan expressway citing delay to the execution of the project, now the president wants the Army corp of engineers to mobilize man and materials resources to finish the projects in three months. My Uncle is being co-opted to act as the head of the security and surveillance team for the boots handling the road constructions. So there goes our Christmas vacation out of the window. Jide and I sulk for a few days but we shook it off within a week, it is my first Christmas in Lagos. It should be fun but I missed Maami, Remi, and Atinuke so much.
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by Sliss(m): 7:29am On Jun 02, 2020
Nawa ooo grenade in school... Thanks for the update bro
Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by haiti007(m): 6:05pm On Jun 02, 2020
Thanks for the update Sir

1 Like

Re: Jagam Buller, The Soldier Boy. by OJURONGBE1(m): 3:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
That grenade ball sounded like Jagamu in my ears as i read along. Nice one bro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MY LIFESTYLE (a Must Read Story) / Babysitting Jenna / PERSPECTIVE (WARNING: After The First Paragraph You're Likely To Get Addicted)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.