Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? (962 Views)

Call It What It Is, Jehovah's Witness Is A Weird Fucking Cult / Jehovah The Man Of War / Proof To Jehovah Witnesses That Jesus Is Jehovah. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 2:06am On Apr 19, 2020
While growing up, there was a particular elderly neighbour of ours who always called me Kingly, I most times refused to answer because my name isn't kingly but Kingsley. She took offence whenever I did that but I had corrected her on numerous occasions but she was set in her ways and refused to change and altogether I stopped responding to her calls because that wasn't my name.

This brings me to the above question, "Is JEHOVAH the name of God?, the answer is NO.

This isn't an attack on any sect but an expose. First of all, Throughout Scripture, there was never a time God called himself JEHOVAH,and it's not possible to ascribe a name to a person one which he hasn't called himself.

Most of us are familiar with the story of Moses and the burning Bush, so I'm not gonna bore you with the details but just point out the parts that are of importance to this discuss.

Exodus 3:13-15
[13]But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?”
[14]God replied to Moses, “i am who i am. Say this to the people of Israel: i am has sent me to you.”
[15]God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.
This is my eternal name,
    my name to remember for all generations.

How did we come about the name JEHOVAH?
Jehovah is a pronunciation of the Hebrew consonants of YHWH (the sacred Name of the God of Israel revealed in the Hebrew Bible) and the vowels of Adonai (Hebrew for “my Lord”)=YAHWEH+ADONAI=YOHWAH which is now translated to JEHOVAH. When the Hebrew Bible was first written down in the Hebrew language, they wrote only with consonants, not vowels. So the sacred Name of God was written “YHWH” and likely was pronounced “Yahweh.” For millennia, Jews have gone to great lengths to avoid misusing the Name of their God, as he commanded them at the mountain after he delivered them from Egypt. At some point, ancient Jews began saying adonai (“my Lord”) when they saw “YHWH.” It wasn’t until the 10th century (as far as archaeologists have discovered) that a group of scholars called the Masoretes put vowels into the Hebrew text of the First Testament. They left the consonants “YHWH” in 7,000+ locations to show it was God’s Name. But they added the vowels of Adonai to the consonants to show later generations how to pronounce the word: “Adonai.” (That was why the Masoretes did their work of adding vowels; they were concerned that the number of scribes who could read Hebrew was unsustainably low, and they wanted to preserve what was read aloud by completing the text of what was written.) So Jehovah is a pronunciation of the vowels and consonants as they appear in the Masoretic Text, though it is not how the Jews would have known the Name of God.

This is not in anyway to disparage any group but to teach the truth that's contained in Scripture. The Glory of GOD is in HIS NAME(Iss 48:11). And that's why when Jesus was teaching us to pray, the second point he made is "Hallowed be Your NAME(Matt 6:9).
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by CoronaVirusPro: 2:36am On Apr 19, 2020
No. His real name is "Junior"
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by GreatResearcher1: 2:43am On Apr 19, 2020
God never told us his name o. He said he is 'I AM THAT I AM'. Hebrew called him Jeaovah. Arab called him Allah. Jamica called him Jah. Yoruba called him Oluwa. Hausa called him Obangije. Igbo called him Igwe. I called him .......
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by otipoju(m): 3:02am On Apr 19, 2020
I dont know that some people are this myopic

Yahweh is Jehovah Jehovah is Yahweh.
I thought you were gonna reveal one name we never heard before.

Michael- English
Mitchell- French
Mīkā'īl - Arabic
Miguel - Spanish
Michaël - Dutch
Mixael- Hebrew

3 Likes

Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by otipoju(m): 3:15am On Apr 19, 2020
GreatResearcher1:
God never told us his name o. He said he is 'I AM THAT I AM'. Hebrew called him Jeaovah. Arab called him Allah. Jamica called him Jah. Yoruba called him Oluwa. Hausa called him Obangije. Igbo called him Igwe. I called him .......

All those names dont mean the same thing.
Jehovah mean I am that I am
Oluwa means Our Lord similar to the Hebrew Adonai.

There is a difference between a personal name and a generic name.

1 Like

Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by DanArewaa: 4:38am On Apr 19, 2020
[s]
CoronaVirusPro:
No. His real name is "Junior"
[/s]
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:44am On Apr 19, 2020
See them being confused on what they don’t actually know the source
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 5:57am On Apr 19, 2020
otipoju:
I dont know that some people are this myopic

Yahweh is Jehovah Jehovah is Yahweh.
I thought you were gonna reveal one name we never heard before.

Michael- English
Mitchell- French
Mīkā'īl - Arabic
Miguel - Spanish
Michaël - Dutch
Mixael- Hebrew
I just pointed out how the name JEHOVAH erroneously came to be an you are doing translations. Read and understand, even when you are seeing the right thing you choose to continue in your ignorance. undecided
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 6:03am On Apr 19, 2020
GreatResearcher1:
He did and I clearly pointed that out in Scripture. There's no letter "J" in Hebrew, so there's no way God could have called himself that.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by LordReed(m): 6:21am On Apr 19, 2020
Turns out god is really incompetent, can't even get them to spell or pronounce his name correctly. LMFAO!
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Jozzy4: 6:31am On Apr 19, 2020
Apination:

He did and I clearly pointed that out in Scripture. There's no letter "J" in Hebrew, so there's no way God could have called himself that.

Joshua , Jeremiah , Jehonabad

All this Hebrew names got there " J " from where ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by 1stola: 6:36am On Apr 19, 2020
[s]
Apination:
While growing up, there was a particular elderly neighbour of ours who always called me Kingly, I most times refused to answer because my name isn't kingly but Kingsley. She took offence whenever I did that but I had corrected her on numerous occasions but she was set in her ways and refused to change and altogether I stopped responding to her calls because that wasn't my name.

This brings me to the above question, "Is JEHOVAH the name of God?, the answer is NO.

This isn't an attack on any sect but an expose. First of all, Throughout Scripture, there was never a time God called himself JEHOVAH,and it's not possible to ascribe a name to a person one which he hasn't called himself.

Most of us are familiar with the story of Moses and the burning Bush, so I'm not gonna bore you with the details but just point out the parts that are of importance to this discuss.

Exodus 3:13-15
[13]But Moses protested, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?”
[14]God replied to Moses, “i am who i am. Say this to the people of Israel: i am has sent me to you.”
[15]God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.
This is my eternal name,
    my name to remember for all generations.

How did we come about the name JEHOVAH?
Jehovah is a pronunciation of the Hebrew consonants of YHWH (the sacred Name of the God of Israel revealed in the Hebrew Bible) and the vowels of Adonai (Hebrew for “my Lord”)=YAHWEH+ADONAI=YOHWAH which is now translated to JEHOVAH. When the Hebrew Bible was first written down in the Hebrew language, they wrote only with consonants, not vowels. So the sacred Name of God was written “YHWH” and likely was pronounced “Yahweh.” For millennia, Jews have gone to great lengths to avoid misusing the Name of their God, as he commanded them at the mountain after he delivered them from Egypt. At some point, ancient Jews began saying adonai (“my Lord”) when they saw “YHWH.” It wasn’t until the 10th century (as far as archaeologists have discovered) that a group of scholars called the Masoretes put vowels into the Hebrew text of the First Testament. They left the consonants “YHWH” in 7,000+ locations to show it was God’s Name. But they added the vowels of Adonai to the consonants to show later generations how to pronounce the word: “Adonai.” (That was why the Masoretes did their work of adding vowels; they were concerned that the number of scribes who could read Hebrew was unsustainably low, and they wanted to preserve what was read aloud by completing the text of what was written.) So Jehovah is a pronunciation of the vowels and consonants as they appear in the Masoretic Text, though it is not how the Jews would have known the Name of God.

This is not in anyway to disparage any group but to teach the truth that's contained in Scripture. The Glory of GOD is in HIS NAME(Iss 48:11). And that's why when Jesus was teaching us to pray, the second point he made is "Hallowed be Your NAME(Matt 6:9).
[/s]
You people keep ridiculing and contracting yourselves.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 6:45am On Apr 19, 2020
Jozzy4:

Joshua , Jeremiah , Jehonabad

All this Hebrew names got there " J " from where ?
There's no letter J in Hebrew. These names you have mentioned are translated not original and mind you Jesus in Hebrew is YESHUA.

In English, the letters I and J both had the same sound for a long time, and before that, J didn't exist.

This is why a lot of Hebrew words that start with י, which makes a “y” sound, became words with I and J in English.

Example:

ישעיה = “yesha’ya” = Isaiah
ירמיה = “yirm’ya” = Jeremiah
יעקב = “ya’akov” = Jacob
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 6:48am On Apr 19, 2020
1stola:
[s][/s]
You people keep ridiculing and contracting yourselves.
There's no contradiction it's important to learn the right and correct thing.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Jozzy4: 6:50am On Apr 19, 2020
Apination:

There's no letter J in Hebrew. These names you have mentioned are translated not original and mind you Jesus in Hebrew is YESHUA.

In English, the letters I and J both had the same sound for a long time, and before that, J didn't exist.

This is why a lot of Hebrew words that start with י, which makes a “y” sound, became words with I and J in English.

Example:

ישעיה = “yesha’ya” = Isaiah
ירמיה = “yirm’ya” = Jeremiah
יעקב = “ya’akov” = Jacob

Likewise Jehovah is the norm for English speakers.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 7:01am On Apr 19, 2020
Jozzy4:

Likewise Jehovah is the norm for English speakers.
It seems you didn't understand a thing I said. Let me break it down for you to understand.
For example, you have two names Gabriel and Alonso, then I decide to fuse both names by swapping the vowels in both names, maybe because I don't feel like calling you Gabriel anymore. So we have something like: Gabriel+Alonso=Gabrool. Then I start calling you GABROOL, does that make sense or does that become your name?

Also we have YAHWEH+ADONAI=YOHWAH which is an hybrid name because the Jews felt unworthy to call the original and it is what was translated as JEHOVAH.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by MJBOLT: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2020
on Asgard,jehovah is the name of Odin's pet.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Jozzy4: 11:51am On Apr 19, 2020
Apination:

It seems you didn't understand a thing I said. Let me break it down for you to understand.
For example, you have two names Gabriel and Alonso, then I decide to fuse both names by swapping the vowels in both names, maybe because I don't feel like calling you Gabriel anymore. So we have something like: Gabriel+Alonso=Gabrool. Then I start calling you GABROOL, does that make sense or does that become your name?

Also we have YAHWEH+ADONAI=YOHWAH which is an hybrid name because the Jews felt unworthy to call the original and it is what was translated as JEHOVAH .
Do u have any problem with other translated words I shown you earlier. If you are so fixated on correct pronunciation, Then stop calling those ones too . in fact stop using Jesus. , Jesus by Jewish name is Yeshua , but the Greeks called him Iesus in the Greek scriptures , How is Yeshua and Iesus related ?? I demand an explanation.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by otipoju(m): 3:20pm On Apr 19, 2020
Apination:

I just pointed out how the name JEHOVAH erroneously came to be an you are doing translations. Read and understand, even when you are seeing the right thing you choose to continue in your ignorance. undecided

My friend go and sit down.
You just go and lift one article from somewhere and paste half baked knowledge here.

Go and read "Jehovah "the Encyclopedia of Religion compiled by Mircea Eliade. Then come back and tell us what you read.

You are laying claims without quoting your sources.
"Jehovah is a blend of YHWH and Adonai" ..are you kidding me.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by MightySparrow: 3:37pm On Apr 19, 2020
Some people claim God is one and has no son, their reasons for killing others. Another say no one goes to heaven or hell, their reason for segregation. Many others have male or female gods, they give nobody no problems. The first two, why don’t you give the world peace it deserves?
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by Apination(m): 10:39pm On Apr 19, 2020
otipoju:

My friend go and sit down.
You just go and lift one article from somewhere and paste half baked knowledge here.

Go and read "Jehovah "the Encyclopedia of Religion compiled by Mircea Eliade. Then come back and tell us what you read.

You are laying claims without quoting your sources.
"Jehovah is a blend of YHWH and Adonai" ..are you kidding me.
You obviously are obstinate and ignorant. Said I lifted an article from where? I don't need to quote any source to state a fvcking fact. You don't know and you are not willing to learn, make your own research and counter what I said if you are so sure that you are right. There are tons of videos on YouTube and numerous articles on it online, if you were intelligent even one bit, you would first research it before saying anything.
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by geoworldedu: 10:44pm On Apr 19, 2020
That's a no no, according to Otem, Jehovah is merely one of the creatures of God. Read the book of MCC 1:14 to see how Jehovah was created by God there.

cc: OtemAtum
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by OtemAtum: 10:49pm On Apr 19, 2020
MCC 1: 14 is here, exactly one of the references revealing how God Almighty created Jehovah, Allah and other small small beings you humans have been worshipping for ages

MCC 1: 14
14 . Now the names of some of these beings (created by God Almighty) are Knoliud, Miklas, Urim, Chimides, Chaleb, Eartum who is also called Atum, Largas, who is also called Allah, ..., Yahweh, Wanyioyi,... Abassi, Nzame, Nyame;
Re: Is JEHOVAH The Name Of God? by otipoju(m): 11:53pm On Apr 19, 2020
Apination:

You obviously are obstinate and ignorant. Said I lifted an article from where? I don't need to quote any source to state a fvcking fact. You don't know and you are not willing to learn, make your own research and counter what I said if you are so sure that you are right. There are tons of videos on YouTube and numerous articles on it online, if you were intelligent even one bit, you would first research it before saying anything.

Can you please go and sleep?

(1) (Reply)

God's Grace Is Not Sufficient For The Wicked But For The Righteous... / Beware Of Traps (Very Important) / Discerning Spiritual Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.