Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,493 members, 7,781,482 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:16 PM

What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? (34834 Views)

Woman’s Horror As Fillet Of Fish ‘jumps Up And Down’ While Cooking In Oven(Pix) / Do You Add Maggi To Your Beans While Cooking? Yes Or No. Give Reason(s) / No More Stress While Cooking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Denique(f): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
ignis:
Back then during my NYSC at Calabar, I was cooking Eguisi soup and my neighbor dashed me plenty pumpkin leaf (ugu). I decided to use all the vegetable in order not to waste any because I don't have refrigerator to preserve the vegetable. The Eguisi soup automatically turned to vegetable soup.

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
ignis:
Back then during my NYSC at Calabar, I was cooking Eguisi soup and my neighbor dashed me plenty pumpkin leaf (ugu). I decided to use all the vegetable in order not to waste any because I don't have refrigerator to preserve the vegetable. The Eguisi soup automatically turned to vegetable soup.

This doesn't count as a mistake.

It was more like pre-planned or premeditated.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Prechgold1180(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
On Christmas day mumsi asked me to help her boil chicken meat
After boiling it I threw the chicken water away not knowing that it was the most important part of Christmas stew

Mumsi was like we're is d chicken water i was I don troway am
If u see shout mumsi out hand for head shout eh all the ingredients two chicken
Dat dey I almost commit suicide because I spoil family Christmas day

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by JustAPhase(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
Used hunger eyes bought 4 noodles with 2 eggs.
Needed to fry, but no groundnut oil. Went to my side chick neighbour and asked her to help me with groundnut oil. She asked me to go inside her room and collect it.
Na so I ended up using liquid shampoo to fry noodles.
Worst of it all was I ate half of the noodles before I could detect the acidic taste. Went back to my neighbour and asked her to give me the oil again. She brought another bottle different from the one I collected myself.
I fainted.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Ginaz(f): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
I felt there wasn’t much salt to the rice and kept adding salt till I felt satisfied. Rice was ready and everyone had to saved their lives first instead of dying from too much salt in the liver. cheesy

Too many I can’t remember them all now .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by YummySuits(f): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
mansakhalifa:

What happens to the odour of the kerosene, if I may put it that way?

Didn't you pick up the odour before pouring it in?

It was a very silly mistake, I had the same kind of container for kerosene and groundnut oil. I had realised it was the wrong one I picked, the same moment some drops had landed in the food.

You know how kerosene is, a few drops is enough cause damage cry

9 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2020
Baking soda in place of salt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
YummySuits:

It was a very silly mistake, I had the same kind of container for kerosene and groundnut oil. I had realised it was the wrong one I picked, the same moment some drops had landed in the food.

You know how kerosene is, a few drops is enough cause damage cry

OK, I get you now...

It wasn't like you poured the whole thing in before realizing it. Alright.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by zealousayo(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Taeewo:
Chai, remembered wen it was my turn to cook during service year..

Ia4wmmediately i put beans for fire,i add palm oil,maggi, ground pepper and salt..2 hours beans no soft,after like 3 hours i comot am for fire..

Samuel and Lucky shit wella dat day ehhh after eating..

They later teach me say the beans go soft before adding palm oil and dry pepper.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by uckyra: 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
i mistook detergent as salt because it had d same container, i was eating the food n it was tasting detergent n i still didn't understand, until my brain reset ooooooh, i didnt eat the remaining food again

6 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Francejaik(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
I was cooking and farting, unknowkngly to me, my guest was looking at me.

11 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by SirWarlock: 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Mehn grin grin I remember years back I was cooking indomie and back then we usually beat eggs and pour it directly into the indomie for it to cook instead of frying separately. So on that unfortunate day I mistakenly added half of our dry pepper into the egg sad. I got confused and still went ahead and poured the egg into indomie thinking it would still be okay. I swear people could smell the pepper outside the kitchen. I eventually tried to force myself and my brothers to eat it but we couldn't lipsrsealed. I ending up forfeiting our lunch that day cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by SUNNYCARE(m): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
I was about cooking okro soup, not knowing my bro have cooked the meat with salt already, I also added salt normal normal to the soup, bro that pot of soup was just a waste of money

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
iyke926:

The meats were even bitter sef sad

That is the idea. The meat will boost the immune system of the malaria sufferer. Chloroquine + protein from the meat.

Nice one.

6 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Onnasucs1(m): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
I used curry and thyme to cook Egusi soup

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by DanDeeBoss(m): 6:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
100level.......i added too much salt to the jollof rice I was cooking

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Giamem(m): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2020
LWKMD. Mine was my true cooking test. I always thought I could cook any soup. That was until I reach school, know how far.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by AloyalNigerian(m): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
cheesy

I remember when I wanted to prepare this Okra + pepper stew. I had no idea how to go about it.
So, I just poured the okra into the pot, added water. I steamed it for a while and later poured plenty pepper inside.

They sha ate it with joy together with the watery, undone wheat I prepared

cheesy

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by drLammy(m): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
That year when I was still a beginner... I used one tin milk and a half dry pepper to cook vegetable inthe place of the normal Rodo and tomato. Mehn, I was so disappointed in myself cuz we contributed money to do the cooking which I volunteered.. You wudnt even date place it on your tongue when it's done...

5 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
In the night I wanted to cook egwusi soup, na so I carry crayfish pour inside hot red oil in place of egwusi, we turned the soup soteeee..... the soup still dey watery, naso me and my roommate still dey pour more crayfish thinking we are adding egwusi,
hmmmmmmm that soup was horrible.

But now I can cook.

5 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Enifolabi(m): 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
beewhy009:
Mine?

Almost 20 years ago, I wanted to prepare pounded yam... I put salt in the yam while cooking and the result was flabbergasting. � All cuz I wanted to show em at home I can now cook anything! grin

Share yours and let's enjoy em! grin

I cooked moimoi with seven lives... Only for me not to add salt

Not funny o

5 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
enemmo:
Our liquid soap was golden yellow, same colour as vegetable oil.
I was gisting and distracted, so I poured more 'oil' in the stew. I noticed the stew was 'foaming', then I realised I used liquid soap for the stew.
It was not funny o

Lolz mehnnn this got me laughing so hard.the foaming stew.hahahahahahaaaa
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
MrMcJay:
Just a little more salt, just a little more salt, Oya put small more.

It ended in tears.

smiley

That was the devil whispering into your ears at that point in time...
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by anykey: 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
Mine was cameroun pepper. I cooked indomie and added three 'ten naira' own. I did not know what made me experiment with three, but i think what pushed me was how beautiful a cameroun peppered indomie looked like. But this one was truly a definition of not all that glitters is gold.
I swallowed the first, second and third spoon successfully. It was when the fourth hit my throat that i discovered tears was slithering down my cheeks. I started feeling hot all of a sudden, i pulled off my shirt, seems it got worse. Then i commot boxers, no improvement. I now said let me go outside to receive fresh air if it will be better, no way. I con dey ask myself, is this how people go mad?
Well i took a very cold bath and i got really better. So, at the end of the day i went back to finish the food. It looked so beautiful.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger right?

30 Likes

mansakhalifa:

That is the idea. The meat will boost the immune system of the malaria sufferer. Chloroquine + protein from the meat.

Nice one.
grin grin grin
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by fredie107(m): 6:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
The place was dark, instead of removing salt from the polythene bag, I carried omo. The omo was tied in a leather like the salt too.... Lo and behold, my ogbono soup was foaming....... grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
SSam01:
Putting sugar inside a pot of soup thinking it was salt.

Using groundnut oil to cook soup and couldn't swallow eba with it
If u live outside naija where it hard to get palm oil, u can add lots of oil and fry your tomatoes.
Scope out the oil and use to make soups like okro and egwusi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
Adding so much pepper to porridge yam that even me mama pepper couldn't eat it. No Yoruba would even eat that kind of pepper. That kind of pepper that would abort pregnancy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Emmastan291:
After cooking egusi soup. As I was bringing it down from the stove, everything poured down...I felt like crying.

You did noble...

You fed the Earth first. The ancestors must have been a little pleased with you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by domido(m): 6:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Lol funny thread
My experience

I fried egg without groundnut oil. Thank God for my sister who was home to salvage the situation. She still teases me for that till today.

My aunt instead of putting salt added detergent. Both were in two similar plastic. It was not her fault cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by JayPeeOham: 6:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Threads like this are sponsored by boredom in association with Lockdown and isolation! grin ?? ?? tongue

4 Likes

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by izzou(m): 6:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
Pocohantas angry

Let's hear it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Huge Monitor Lizard Killed For Pepper Soup (Photos) / 7 Finger Foods That Should Make It Into Nigerian Small Chops In 2017 / See The Cost Of Foodstuffs In Benue (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.