Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? (35019 Views)

Woman’s Horror As Fillet Of Fish ‘jumps Up And Down’ While Cooking In Oven(Pix) / Do You Add Maggi To Your Beans While Cooking? Yes Or No. Give Reason(s) / No More Stress While Cooking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by dynb: 9:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Puting Honga stew inside porridge Beans angry
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
kachistone:
My neighbour used cockroach to cook beans for the family. He was not aware as the cockroach died inside the bottle of palm oil that he used for the beans.

And he cooked the food in the dark o. It was while they were eating the food that one of his brothers asked where the crayfish he is eating came from. Mind you, they didn't use crayfish o. (the brother had already eaten part of the cockroach in the food).

The rest is history.
Lwkmd grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by DonMekino(m): 9:32pm On Apr 21, 2020
while doing Diploma at Unijos, exactly the day Stella obasanjo died, I think Bellview plane crash occurred same period, I was watching the news and lo I had to boil beans using electric heater to conserve kero, I didn't know wen I slept off. the bowl I was boiling the beans was plastic, the water dried and the bowl caught fire and the fire reached my mattress. the smoke from the mattress was nearly suffocating me, I just woke up managed to off the switch and ran outside around 11pm....it was a miracle, God saved me that day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:33pm On Apr 21, 2020
Genea:
A week after my wedding, I decided to cook my first soup. I chose Egusi, I thought well it shouldn't be that bad.

First mistake was to wash the Egusi before grinding. Second I grounded it wet.
I became confused after that. I poured the Egusi inside a well bleached red oil.

To end the story, I had black Egusi in my pot.

Hubby just came in and said let's go and eat out. grin
Your hubby must be a gentle man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by iphanyi10(m): 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
guys , I've really suffered.

I remember a time in uni, I was damn broke, azin shi-shi I no get, i called Lekan my guy, he said he too was broke but had one small beans but the problem was that there were weevils in the beans. it was late around 10pm so we hurriedly picked the beans and removed the weevils, well, so we thought

in the process of cooking, this bastards took light, we had to eat the food half done. I noticed I ate weevil in one or two spoons, but I waved it off, wetin man go do.

it was the next morning when I opened the pot I saw that the weevils were even more than the beans we cooked, some didn't even die. I nearly fainted!!!

just a cooking experience sha!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:40pm On Apr 21, 2020
Opeolami:
This was an experience with my late dad in the late 80's. My mother travelled to Ibadan from our base in Kano. My sisters wanted to make dinner that evening but my dad want to impress us with bitter leaf soup.

The food was ready but no one was able to eat because my dad did not wash the bitter leaf, he just washed and cook like a normal vegetable.

He was embarrassed and went out to buy us food.
Lwkmd grin grin grin Las las all na vegetable soup grin grin grin Guy u don kill me with laugh grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:42pm On Apr 21, 2020
Aphizium:
I poured VIM into my mum's newly prepared soup thinking it was salt...
We only noticed wen we started eating
Thank God you didn't RIP grin
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by bigcee(m): 9:47pm On Apr 21, 2020
Millenniumlady:
I seriously need to enroll for a catering school cause my cooking is nothing to write about.....i think boarding school contributed alot in this
That is why the handsome mechanic refused shagging you.

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 9:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
YummySuits:
Poured Kerosene inside fried rice instead of groundnut oil
wow, this one dey pain enter bone oo
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 9:50pm On Apr 21, 2020
Emmastan291:
After cooking egusi soup. As I was bringing it down from the stove, everything poured down...I felt like crying.
grin grin cheesy cool
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
OlawaleBammie:
Like around 20yrs back, me and my igede friends together with my immediate junior sister went to osun river in our town to fetch all those tiny river snails(not the flat one oo, the round one... we normally called it kòrògbíngbín)

We brought the little we could fetch home and we tried to make fire on the normal fire spot called ADIRO in yoruba.

We succeeded in making the fire but finding the pot to use in frying it became a mirage as all pots were filled with one content or the other.

We had successfully stole the palm oyel and salt(dos are d only ingredients needed grin ) but we couldn't locate a single pot to carry out our assignment.

then we resorted into using a plastic, we poured an oyel and put the plastic on the fire....gbam!!! in a second we couldn't find the plastic, we didn't even know if it was stolen from the fire or it got burnt grin but we saw it wen it caught fire grin

After some minutes of rumination, Orshom(my igede nigga) went to his mama room to turn away the content in one of his mama's pot., we washed it as we could and put on fire.

we have bn hearing that palm oyel needed to b made hot before tins should b added, den we tried to do our own.

as we saw that smoke is already coming from the pot(now we had added oyel) den we put all the korogbingbins inside... vooooom ..everything catch fire inside the pot grin

Oku babanla eni to maa lo so potu kale cheesy

After everything got burnt patapata, the fire quenched..CHAIIII OUR POT DON TURN TO BITUMEN..

We tried to was it but na lie, e no gree wash.

If u do dis, u know the next tin African parent would do to u naw grincheesy

My nyash no go forget that day even if i do.
Extremely funny grin
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Millenniumlady(f): 9:55pm On Apr 21, 2020
bigcee:

That is why the handsome mechanic refused shagging you.
You're not serious
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2020
I wanted to bleach palm oil for ofada sauce only for me to see fire on the frying pan. By the time I covered ne opened it,the oil had turned black n I couldn't use it again. It's so painful cos that was the remaining oil at home then. Since then ,av learnt not to over bleach palm oil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Odogwu999(m): 10:01pm On Apr 21, 2020
undecided They last time i cooked was very dissapointing let me not go further....
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by sorority11(m): 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
During my undergraduate days.
1. First time I cooked beans I used groundnut oil, men the beans was tasting like sacrificed food even the look alone was so bear I was looking for stew to eat it
2. My predegree days I was cooking egusi jejely my guys were around, so I told one of them to bring more egusi from my food stuff bag, so I can mix with the one at hand since we were plenty, naso this guy brought ogbono I mix am with egusi put for my pot, my brother my sister naso my egusi just they draw like engine oil and it was clogging, they tab me that night I was forced to throw the soup the ne

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by JiffyLou(m): 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
cooked indomie and I forgot to add the ingredients.

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by FaruqMadridCr7(m): 10:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
Francejaik:
I was cooking and farting, unknowkngly to me, my guest was looking at me.
lolzzzz��

1 Like

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 21, 2020
Blaze212:
no be small thing ooo naso I want cook beans for house, after the beans don soft na e I discover say palm oil no dey house...even groundnut oil don finish, so I go mumsy room carry her mountain of fire anointing oil pour inside beans, my people the beans sweet die, when mumsy come back she balanced and eat white beans, later that day evening na e she discovered say her OIL dey miss she ask me, I tell her the truth, for good two weeks mumsy no follow me talk for house

Lwkmd
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by GAJIT: 10:12pm On Apr 21, 2020
I just find it difficult to prepare pap (akamu) till now.
������
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Opeolami(m): 10:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
bigcee:

Lwkmd grin grin grin Las las all na vegetable soup grin grin grin Guy u don kill me with laugh grin grin grin

it wasn't funny. we do tease him with that soup still he pass away two years ago.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Opeolami(m): 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
KingWarri:

Hahaha.... cheesy
That makes me remember how I added bitter leaf to indomie noodles thinking it was pumpkin...

OMG � �
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
No sugar for house. My pocket lean like a somalian niggar. I lived alone.

It was night and I wan take cold Bonvita calm my self down before bed. I wan use am eat bread for dinner.
Make I dey await miracle for the next day o.

With the last change for pocket I dashed down to buy sugar.

The unreasonable woman wey dey sell sugar dey sell salt too. "Mama I wan buy sugar"

"Sugar?" The Inconclusive woman asked.grin

"Yes Sugar" I replied.

Na im I gee am money.

"Gbam! Na so she gee me SuGaR oo.
I asked for sugar na SuGaR she gee me.

I rush go home, put all the remaining Bornvita for cup , add water and added " SuGaR" put.

I cut bread balance well well to eat. I dip my bread inside my Bornvita wey don get Flenty flenty SuGaR well well.

The kind face I make DAT day ehn! If Small child see me e go scream Ojuju Calabar!!

Na so I dey send the woman curses after curses dey hiss, after hiss.

DAT night I ate my bread without anything at all.

A week after when my mind don come down, I told the woman and surprisingly she beg me, come gee me another measure of sugar. I reject am but she insisted.

Na im I check her Sugar well well , check am and check am

This time around it was Sugar she gee me not SuGaR.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Lordtunji(m): 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2020
Poured liquid soap inside indomie thinking its groudnut oil
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by beewhy009(m): 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
I dn laugh tire with many experiences outta here... As in ehn grin.

Wish Lalasticlala can share his sha grin
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by weedfada(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
argent412:
My roommate and some of her friends went to hire shisha pot from a friend and brought it to my room and we started popping. Everybody was in cloud 9 and I was feeling hungry, so I went to prepare noodles. Common noodles, took almost 1 hour to dry as if it was beans I was cooking. I could even hear the pot making sound like am cooking rice or beans. The noodles turned to something else. We still ate sha. Las Las Highness na bad thing grin cheesy

Haha... I concur! when high, anything is edible and tastes better.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by pretyval: 10:57pm On Apr 21, 2020
BuhariNaWah:
Mine was damn embarrassing.
My first day after work, I went home with the guy I was to stay with.
He told me to prepare noodles.
A female colleague that resumed with me same day, said she would prefer I put a little gnut oil, while pointing to a liquid in a bottle on one corner of the kitchen.
Mind you, it was getting dark, so I just took it and poured.
Guys, na so kerosene take enter indomie o cry

Kpele...
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 21, 2020
iphanyi10:
guys , I've really suffered.

I remember a time in uni, I was damn broke, azin shi-shi I no get, i called Lekan my guy, he said he too was broke but had one small beans but the problem was that there were weevils in the beans. it was late around 10pm so we hurriedly picked the beans and removed the weevils, well, so we thought

in the process of cooking, this bastards took light, we had to eat the food half done. I noticed I ate weevil in one or two spoons, but I waved it off, wetin man go do.

it was the next morning when I opened the pot I saw that the weevils were even more than the beans we cooked, some didn't even die. I nearly fainted!!!

just a cooking experience sha!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAHAHAHAHAIAHAHA4A
has in my guy your own too funny.. Just go pom Belle
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by StephenJoseph(m): 11:09pm On Apr 21, 2020
iyke926:
This was back in undergrad days, I cooked a bitter bitterleaf soup. The seller didn't wash the leaves well and I didn't know about tasting the bitterleaf and re-washing it. After cooking, the soup was fvcking bitter like chloroquine. Chai! When my course mate called from another hostel, to know how far with the food. I told him soup never done o grin grin

Yes ooo. Good response. You can't embarrass yourself na

Meanwhile,

Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Kfed4ril(m): 11:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
beewhy009:
Mine?

Almost 20 years ago, I wanted to prepare pounded yam... I put salt in the yam while cooking and the result was flabbergasting. � All cuz I wanted to show em at home I can now cook anything! grin

Share yours and let's enjoy em! grin

Nna e teh gò
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by EMILO2STAY(m): 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2020
I used kerosene to cook indomie thinking it was was water. The indomie was scenting very nicely mixed with the odor of kerosene at the same time. It was very difficult for me to throw away the indomie because it looked so delicious, but I had no choice than to throw it away.
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Effico5real(m): 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2020
enemmo:
Our liquid soap was golden yellow, same colour as vegetable oil.
I was gisting and distracted, so I poured more 'oil' in the stew. I noticed the stew was 'foaming', then I realised I used liquid soap for the stew.
It was not funny o
mad oh!! Lol, very funny
Re: What's That Worst Mistake You Ever Made While Cooking? by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 22, 2020
One happened when I was 10 and still learning how to cook white rice.
I got the bright idea to disinfect the white rice with a capful of Dettol to kill germs. My family ate it like that.

This recent one was done by our HOUSEBOY. The same pot he used to boil domgoyaro(neem) leaves in this coronavirus period. He just washed it like that and used it to cook jollof rice without boiling the pot in Orange peel first. Omo, that was how 6 cups of jollof rice became bitter like agbo, nobody could eat it. It was painful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Between Garri And Semovita / Wonders You Can Do With Noodles / See The Cost Of Foodstuffs In Benue (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.