Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,729 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House (1217 Views)

Bandits Impose ₦‎2Million Levy On Zamfara Communities, 200k At Each Polling Unit / Sanwo-Olu Suspends Bamidele Balogun For Imposing 5% Levy On Digital Platforms / 2019: ADP Urges Landlords To Quit Tenants Without PVC's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Vondata(m): 3:14pm On Apr 20, 2020
I am currently staying in Abakaliki. We got a letter last 2weeks stating that our landlord should pay up to #500,000 levy on their land for the 6years. I asked around and found out he shared this same fee to every other landlord in Abakaliki. Its unfair. His level of tax on the people of Ebonyians is crazy.
I just hope this will reach the right people.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Acrofab: 3:17pm On Apr 20, 2020
are you sure this is true cos I don't believe you.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Vondata(m): 3:18pm On Apr 20, 2020
Acrofab:
Is true my dear..especially people staying in Abakaliki
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by caylakays: 3:19pm On Apr 20, 2020
What were you expecting? His tax on people in Ebonyi is too much. My Dad too is a landlord, he's affected. He was charged 350k, he no get that amount.
And he is used to sending his boys to go spoil things sef
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Simplyleo: 3:20pm On Apr 20, 2020
I suggest we blame Tinubu and yoruba muslims for this. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by LibertyRep: 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2020
Actually, there are taxes that are meant to be paid on certain possessions. Tax is what runs the economies of those sane countries we long to migrate to.

But definitely not this period when responsible governments are giving tax holiday. If the government had failed to ask for the tax in the last six years, there's no justification burdening the people with the arrears.

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2020
I don't understand. What is the levy for? Land use abi tenement rate or what exactly?
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Gammfreak(m): 3:24pm On Apr 20, 2020
Acrofab:

My dear that's what I heard. It affected our landlord too. They are still sharing the tax among landlords and if u no comply, he go fit send his boys to spoil ur things in d house.
Well, he is not that a saint as we think.
They criticise Enugu governor when a small problem arises, umahi shouldn't be exempted. His tax levy is too much and criminal

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Gammfreak(m): 3:28pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hedonini:
I don't understand. What is the levy for? Land use abi tenement rate or what exactly?

I think is tenement levy. He charged 80k per year
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Acrofab: 3:29pm On Apr 20, 2020
I always wonder where he gets money to do those projects I see in ebonyi is a ong the least in fed allocation and no companies in ebonyi where he collects tax from.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by mrvitalis(m): 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2020
Vondata:
I am currently staying in Abakaliki. We got a letter last 2weeks stating that our landlord should pay up to #500,000 levy on their land for the 6years. I asked around and found out he shared this same fee to every other landlord in Abakaliki. Its unfair. His level of tax on the people of Ebonyians is crazy.
I just hope this will reach the right people.

Thanks
500k for 6 years is high ? .......una well so ?
What's the total rent collection from that house a year

He is working why not pay up ....u think America and the rest developed by luck ?

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Acrofab: 3:31pm On Apr 20, 2020
Gammfreak:

is that the current rate now cos 80k is not too bad. it's just the accumulation of those years that made it big. ask landlords here in Lagos how much they pay.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Vondata(m): 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2020
mrvitalis:

He is working why not pay up ....u think America and the rest developed by luck ?

500k is too much abeg..Enugu pays half of that amount in 7years.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2020
Gammfreak:

N80k a year for tenement rate for a state like Ebonyi? How much is tenement rate in most areas in mainland Lagos? The guy must be mad.

I think you Ebonyi residents are too docile. I've observed how this Umahi of a guy displays his megalomaniac dictatorial attitudes anyhow he likes without challenge. Seems to rule the state as if he is a monarch ruling a small village. Lol.

Y'all need to wake up.

1 Like

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Zendinho(m): 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2020
What do you expect?....

Oil prices have fallen to the lowest in the last three decades...

VAT has been increased to 7.5%

The citizens would be milkdry in the name of tax.

Some States Government would trampled on every available opportunities to inflict financial burden on her citizens

This is a time for SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Vegasmaxwell: 3:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hedonini:

N80k a year for tenement rate for a state like Ebonyi? How much is tenement rate in most areas in mainland Lagos? The guy must be mad.

I think you Ebonyi residents are too docile. I've observed how this Umahi of a guy displays his megalomaniac dictatorial attitudes anyhow he likes without challenge. Seems to rule the state as if he is a monarch ruling a small village. Lol.

Y'all need to wake up.

Asin ehee...them dey dear the man.
My guy wey dey for Abakaliki just confirmed it. Na stealing him dey do. Abakaliki landlord no reach to pay up to that 80k per year.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Vegasmaxwell: 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2020
Acrofab:

is that the current rate now cos 80k is not too bad. it's just the accumulation of those years that made it big. ask landlords here in Lagos how much they pay.

80k in Abakaliki is too much abeg. How much will the landlord make themselves naa? Check am. U can't compare Ai and lag too
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Acrofab: 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hedonini:

Y'all need to wake up.
how much is tenament rate in Lagos. the op supposed to tell us the kind of apartment
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Acrofab: 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2020
Vegasmaxwell:

80k in Abakaliki is too much abeg. How much will the landlord make themselves naa? Check am. U can't compare Ai and lag too
op should tell us the kind of building and how much they pay per yr.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2020
Zendinho:
What do you expect?....

Oil prices have fallen to the lowest in the last three decades...

VAT has been increased to 7.5%

The citizens would be milkdry in the name of tax.

Some States Government would trampled on every available opportunities to inflict financial burden on her citizens

This is a time for SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

And also the perfect opportunity for a 'once and for all', 'final solution' revolution. It is now or never for the hapless, feckless, hopeless and mostly useless Nigerian masses.

If they don't fight to take back their country now that things have fallen apart, then may they and their unborn generations forever remain voiceless slaves to the ruling class.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by caylakays: 3:41pm On Apr 20, 2020
Acrofab:
I always wonder where he gets money to do those projects I see in ebonyi is a ong the least in fed allocation and no companies in ebonyi where he collects tax from.

I was Wondering ooo....ebonyi is a bad place to invest. He overtax people in Ebonyi.
I pity those that has up to 4houses
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 20, 2020
Acrofab:

how much is tenament rate in Lagos. the op supposed to tell us the kind of apartment

It's not a uniform rate. But I know for sure that most houses in mainland Lagos, especially around core Lagos areas such as Oshodi/Isolo and Alimosho LGA, pay around N20k to N50k a year. Even Ikeja GRA sef is less than N100k. Ambode tried to increase it but it was resisted. That is Lagos oh, the commercial capital of Naija, where purchasing power and average rent prices is higher than anywhere else in West Africa.

How much is the average rent in Abakaliki? I don't know, but I doubt even a 7 bedroom duplex in their own GRA would cost up to N1m a year.

N80k tenement rate in most states in Nigeria (outside Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt) is ridiculous, let alone a financially 'modest' state such as Ebonyi.
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by adekolaelect(m): 3:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
mrvitalis:

but na the government built the house for the Landlord?? But if na Lagos you will cry of Tinubu .why is it high up to that ?? Where the government doesn't stand up for its responsibilities? Na you know sha.

Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by mrvitalis(m): 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
adekolaelect:
but na the government built the house for the Landlord?? But if na Lagos you will cry of Tinubu .why is it high up to that ?? Where the government doesn't stand up for its responsibilities? Na you know sha.
I have always supported taxing ...20% of rent should be paid to the government as tax
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2020
In this covid 19 periods.
But op upload the letter as proof

Some one should please patronize me o. I have been hungry since morning and no money.
Patronize me and I will find my way around .

Check my signature
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by SGANIVA(m): 4:49pm On Apr 20, 2020
80k is too much for a state like ebony state, should be at least 20k . the
South East governors are chasing away investors to other part of the country . mean while we keep blaming hausas and Yorubas for our problem s . how much is tenement rate in Lagos and ogun . this our governors are mad
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by Zendinho(m): 6:08pm On Apr 20, 2020
I weep for the unborn generation

And also the perfect opportunity for a 'once and for all', 'final solution' revolution. It is now or never for the hapless, feckless, hopeless and mostly useless Nigerian masses.

If they don't fight to take back their country now that things have fallen apart, then may they and their unborn generations forever remain voiceless slaves to the ruling class.[/quote]
Re: Governor Umahi Charges Landlords To Pay Up To #500,000 levy On Their House by adekolaelect(m): 6:59pm On Apr 20, 2020
mrvitalis:

I have always supported taxing ...20% of rent should be paid to the government as tax
for politicians to have more money to embezzle ?while governments have nothing to offer citizens for the better lives From the hug allocations they collect from the natural resources and taxes?

(1) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Total Lockdown Triggers Panic Buying- PICTURES / Truck Load Of Beer Falls In Anambra; People Rush Unbroken Bottles / Obaseki, A Democrat, Will Emerge APC Candidate In Edo Guber, Says Adamawa Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.