Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch (2084 Views)

How To Translate From English To Edo Language Without Mistakes / What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / Please I Need Help From Anybody Who Understands Edo Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 10:19pm On Apr 20, 2020
This trend started as far back as egharevba era were egharevba dedicated a book he wrote on how benins were losing thier language even in the oba palace, that the chiefs would be speaking English in their e meeting......he constantly emphasize on the need for benins to keep thier language, today things had even gone worse benin parents now teaching thier children pidgin as thier first language and English as thier second language,benin parent now see the bini language as a language for the poor and iliterate for a time i felt it was a trend in the entire edo state
Until i began schooling in edo-north i saw one year old children speaking thier native tongue i was amazed this was not just peculiar to edo north alone but also in edo central areas
I felt so ashamed for we benins
Because even the English our parents want us to speak we cant speak it correctly, even you manage to you cant teach english in a foreign country because of Racial stereotyping
Then what is the essence of our parents forcing English on we the children
Many benin youth i meet around really wants to speak thier language but they cant because they were never taught at home

I believe bini language should be the language in the house and English the language in the school

"A day will come a benin person won't be identified by thier name alone anymore but by the benin language and when one cant speak it he will be regarded as a stranger who took upon a benin name to claim benin"

If a Latino can teach thier children Spanish in America then we can teach our children benin in benin city
Cc
Samuk
Davidnazee
Ghostwon
Nobody
AreaFada2

Amazevbo Omwan Tawiri
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by funmijoyb(f): 10:30pm On Apr 20, 2020
Igodomigodo has already gone extinct thanks to Oba Oranmiyan and Eweka for creating and founding BINIS

4 Likes

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 10:40pm On Apr 20, 2020
Lol,

You retard
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 10:42pm On Apr 20, 2020
Benin will be great again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by AreaFada2: 12:09am On Apr 21, 2020
It's a big problem o. Because even modern Benin kids do not learn Benin Language, non Benin born and bred in Benin will speak their language but cannot speak Benin.

Oba Ewuare is pushing for Benin Language to be compulsory in schools. It officially is compulsory now. Hope it's done properly.
In the past I met Igbo and other tribes born and raised in Benin who all speak Benin like native language.
With more cultural and historical awareness of parents, it will get better. Art is really a good medium. Music, Bennywood films, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 12:28am On Apr 21, 2020
AreaFada2:
It's a big problem o. Because even modern Benin kids do not learn Benin Language, non Benin born and bred in Benin will speak their language but cannot speak Benin.

Oba Ewuare is pushing for Benin Language to be compulsory in schools. It officially is compulsory now. Hope it's done properly.
In the past I met Igbo and other tribes born and raised in Benin who all speak Benin like native language.
With more cultural and historical awareness of parents, it will get better. Art is really a good medium. Music, Bennywood films, etc.

That won't help at all teaching benin as a subject

Extreme measure will have to take place for our language to be brought back i mean extremw measures

1) all news station should be read in benin

2) schools should be created around village and towns which completely teaches in benin language in all subjects

3 revial of our local music, instead of promoting English music

4) benin movies should be made cheap for people to afford

I guess no one will die if this measures are carried out.......

If the bini language die just watch how the others will follow
How can we interprete our history.....

Our oba is just sitting there doing nothing to help
The logo of the benin royalty on his car is boldly written in english
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 21, 2020
I think most nigerian language will go extinct sooner or later even the big 2 igbos and yorubas.

News words are discovered everyday and since the tribes aren't updating their language and vocabulary people won't use them.

I bet no one can tell me the word for physics or biochemistry in yoruba and igbo language.

In the next 200 years, most southern language will only be remembered in textbooks
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 8:48am On Apr 21, 2020
Igbosmoker:
I think most nigerian language will go extinct sooner or later even the big 2 igbos and yorubas.

News words are discovered everyday and since the tribes aren't updating their language and vocabulary people won't use them.

I bet no one can tell me the word for physics or biochemistry in yoruba and igbo language.

In the next 200 years, most southern language will only be remembered in textbooks

Yea, thats my fear

English should be a second language
Untill the extinction is glaring before government start taking extreme measures....
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Yea, thats my fear

English should be a second language
Untill the extinction is glaring before government start taking extreme measures....
that's how the world is? Even this English language was a new form of Germanic language before they started dominating then there language spread.

Without use and population for a language it slowly dies
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 8:59am On Apr 21, 2020
Igbosmoker:
that's how the world is? Even this English language was a new form of Germanic language before they started dominating then there language spread.

Without use and population for a language it slowly dies

The benin language is dieing so very fast unlike the other part of edo state that still fully retains thier language......

Benin local words are getting into nigeria lexicon on daily bases if we dont keep the language how can we share our lexicon

Words like

Ikebbe
Ogun dey kill u grin
Osanubua

And so on
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 21, 2020
1) The people of Edo north are also Edo people, subjects of the Oba of Benin. I hope you guys actually know that the Edo people of Benin city do not own the Oba of Benin, not more than the British people of London own the queen of England !
Benin city is only the capital of the Oba of Benin Kingdom/empire not his entire Kingdom/empire.
He belongs to all the people of his empire ! Not just the ones who live in the capital !

2) gregyboy, you need to stop attacking the Oba of Benin, this is getting sickening, I really don't know what you are trying to prove with your nonstop disrespect !

3) the languages spoken in parts of Edo state are variants of the Edo language. I seriously hope you know that ?

4) look gregyboy, I would like to know what level of education you actually reached, because you have me confused.

gregyboy:
This trend started as far back as egharevba era were egharevba dedicated a book he wrote on how benins were losing thier language even in the oba palace, that the chiefs would be speaking English in their e meeting......he constantly emphasize on the need for benins to keep thier language, today things had even gone worse benin parents now teaching thier children pidgin as thier first language and English as thier second language,benin parent now see the bini language as a language for the poor and iliterate for a time i felt it was a trend in the entire edo state
Until i began schooling in edo-north i saw one year old children speaking thier native tongue i was amazed this was not just peculiar to edo north alone but also in edo central areas
I felt so ashamed for we benins
Because even the English our parents want us to speak we cant speak it correctly, even you manage to you cant teach english in a foreign country because of Racial stereotyping
Then what is the essence of our parents forcing English on we the children
Many benin youth i meet around really wants to speak thier language but they cant because they were never taught at home

I believe bini language should be the language in the house and English the language in the school

"A day will come a benin person won't be identified by thier name alone anymore but by the benin language and when one cant speak it he will be regarded as a stranger who took upon a benin name to claim benin"

If a Latino can teach thier children Spanish in America then we can teach our children benin in benin city
Cc
Samuk
Davidnazee
Ghostwon
Nobody
AreaFada2

Amazevbo Omwan Tawiri

1 Like

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy

You do know that nobody is how nairaland renames anybody who deactivates his account, right ?

Just stop attacking the Oba of Benin, you are not even smart to start with.
The Oba of Benin is educated and is advised by very educated people.
You may not understand his strategies, but never in your head should you go and talk in such a cavalier way about the Oba of Benin !

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Gregyboy

I am tired of always having to come back to correct your non ending gaffs.
You really need to humble yourself ! And stop being disrespectful !
At what level did you stop your education ?
You need to push that thing (your education) forward and stop shooting yourself in the feet while believing you are growing muscles. ("I need to suffer to get muscles, therefor, now and then, I shoot my foot" )

Areafada and Davidnazee and Samuk why are you guys never calling gregyboy to order ? He is your pikin and you don't rein in discipline ?

Gregyboy, be smart when talking, and respect the Oba of Benin !
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Edeyoung: 1:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
I think gregyboy loves the oba, he is not just the type of person that loves pretending he has showed it here on several bases
He wants the best for the edo people and believes the oba can do better than what is doing
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by AreaFada2: 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

That won't help at all teaching benin as a subject

Extreme measure will have to take place for our language to be brought back i mean extremw measures

1) all news station should be read in benin

2) schools should be created around village and towns which completely teaches in benin language in all subjects

3 revial of our local music, instead of promoting English music

4) benin movies should be made cheap for people to afford

I guess no one will die if this measures are carried out.......

If the bini language die just watch how the others will follow
How can we interprete our history.....

Our oba is just sitting there doing nothing to help
The logo of the benin royalty on his car is boldly written in english

Not entirely. There is "Amamieson Aimiuwa" on the logo too. Which is also the name of a palm tree the Oba symbolically climbs on the way to coronation during the ten days period.

Oba has even given scholarships to kids able to recite long praise poetry in Benin Language. The new compulsory Benin Language in schools is Oba's initiative. See link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KQIUpO2sw

Sure we can all do more.

For now, our women are the biggest problem. It's women who largely raise kids. But our women attend churches largely run by non-Benin people in Benin. Many such people demonise our culture. Paint our culture as pagan. For two main reasons (1) to cut our people off from their tradition in order to control them to get tithes. (2) Revenge over historical supremacy over them. There are hidden battles going on. You get to see it on social media in tribal fora.
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 4:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
AreaFada2:

Not entirely. There is "Amamieson Aimiuwa" on the logo too. Which is also the name of a palm tree the Oba symbolically climbs on the way to coronation during the ten days period.

Oba has even given scholarships to kids able to recite long praise poetry in Benin Language. The new compulsory Benin Language in schools is Oba's initiative. See link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KQIUpO2sw

Sure we can all do more.

For now, our women are the biggest problem. It's women who largely raise kids. But our women attend churches largely run by non-Benin people in Benin. Many such people demonise our culture. Paint our culture as pagan. For two main reasons (1) to cut our people off from their tradition in order to control them to get tithes. (2) Revenge over historical supremacy over them. There are hidden battles going on. You get to see it on social media in tribal fora.

My child will speak benin even if am not always around to impose it, i will makesure he goes to a school inside d palace to learn it,
Our tvs station should be read in benin all programs......

Even people i have meant from other always mock me that benin cant speak thier language that all we speak is pidgin some say they want to learn benin but they couldn't
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2020
Gregyboy

I am tired of always having to come back to correct your non ending gaffs.
You really need to humble yourself ! And stop being disrespectful !
At what level did you stop your education ?
You need to push that thing (your education) forward and stop shooting yourself in the feet while believing you are growing muscles. ("I need to suffer to get muscles, therefor, now and then, I shoot my foot" )

Areafada and Davidnazee and Samuk why are you guys never calling gregyboy to order ? He is your pikin and you don't rein in discipline ?

Gregyboy, be smart when talking, and respect the Oba of Benin !

You keep insulting me when you are proving your point,

If your angry am questioning our oba then come directly to me and dont hide under the emotion to insult me, we have argued on the previous thread on obaseki paternity which you disagree to what i said but you carried it all along while quoting me.......
I dont walk with peoole who is filled with so much emotions

You cant force me to accept what you believe if its what you want,
I can question the oba if there is a need to

But you bringing out emotions while quoting me is very unnecessary.......
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2021
gregyboy this trend is a very good one but I wonder why it ended up so quick

this is what we suppose to focus on not wasting time with brainless cross dresser

Edeyong

Areafada2

valirex

Etinosa1234

this trend could be use to reach out to others on this particular issue

Ekpene gbo mwan amu gboto amana saba zevbuomwan

we could use this as a clarion call to all a sundry till interest is found

it will be shameful if this trend die like this

I have a vow since I was little that even if am in abroad with my kids, they will still know how to speak this our language

this trend must not die
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by davidnazee: 1:55pm On Apr 26, 2021
gregyboy:

You keep insulting me when you are proving your point,

If your angry am questioning our oba then come directly to me and dont hide under the emotion to insult me, we have argued on the previous thread on obaseki paternity which you disagree to what i said but you carried it all along while quoting me.......
I dont walk with peoole who is filled with so much emotions

You cant force me to accept what you believe if its what you want,
I can question the oba if there is a need to

But you bringing out emotions while quoting me is very unnecessary.......

I understand your fight and what you want for Edos.. I'm with u and want same.. you can question the Oba it is your right, but not harshly..
I teach my kids how to understand and speak Edo language because it is their identity.. here where we are based, the Benin community have Edo classes every weekend where benin kids go and are taught the language..
We all have to do our part to keep the language alive..
Edo and Benin kingdom is forever..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 3:33pm On Apr 26, 2021
davidnazee:

I understand your fight and what you want for Edos.. I'm with u and want same.. you can question the Oba it is your right, but not harshly..
I teach my kids how to understand and speak Edo language because it is their identity.. here where we are based, the Benin community have Edo classes every weekend where benin kids go and are taught the language..
We all have to do our part to keep the language alive..
Edo and Benin kingdom is forever..

YES
like you said the Edo kingdom is forever that is not the problem

but the problem here is that how long will the kingdom language sovereignty last when it's already dying

where are you base please if I may ask
in Edo or outside ?
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 3:40pm On Apr 26, 2021
gregyboy:

My child will speak benin even if am not always around to impose it, i will makesure he goes to a school inside d palace to learn it,
Our tvs station should be read in benin all programs......

Even people i have meant from other always mock me that benin cant speak thier language that all we speak is pidgin some say they want to learn benin but they couldn't

I understand u are serving ban term

your passion for Edo are well noted but we have to do more on our own part
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by davidnazee: 4:54pm On Apr 26, 2021
Etrusen:

YES
like you said the Edo kingdom is forever that is not the problem

but the problem here is that how long will the kingdom language sovereignty last when it's already dying

where are you base please if I may ask
in Edo or outside ?

Im in north america
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 5:29pm On Apr 26, 2021
davidnazee:

Im in north america

nice !!!
but a lot has to be done to keep the struggle alive
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by davidnazee: 5:40pm On Apr 26, 2021
Etrusen:

nice !!!

but a lot has to be done to keep the struggle alive

Yes bro and each of us have a role to play..
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by gregyboy(m): 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2021
Etrusen:

I understand u are serving ban term

your passion for Edo are well noted but we have to do more on our own part

My ban has expired for days now been busy....

Decided to stay off culture thread for now,

And someday if i happen to rule my state..... Edo state, i make it a paradise on earth.....

Hope you're reading some myth bursting about Oduduwa and the made up ife shit
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 6:16pm On Apr 26, 2021
davidnazee:

Yes bro and each of us have a role to play..

don't you think a better way and approach can be use ?

what do you feel is the solution
because I believe something can be done even from among us
the pain u have for this issue cannot be compared to that of mine
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 6:21pm On Apr 26, 2021
gregyboy:

My ban has expired for days now been busy....

Decided to stay off culture thread for now,

And someday if i happen to rule my state..... Edo state, i make it a paradise on earth.....

Hope you're reading some myth bursting about Oduduwa and the made up ife shit

I believe when will and might are put to work there is nothing one can't achieve

I believe in possibilities and I don't wait to have everything before working

it's a common problem for us all that hurt us to our vein

I truly believe we can make things happen in our own possible way
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 6:23pm On Apr 26, 2021
Etinosa1234 I know you are viewing this thread
please say something
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by davidnazee: 6:24pm On Apr 26, 2021
Etrusen:

don't you think a better way and approach can be use ?

what do you feel is the solution

because I believe something can be done even from among us

the pain u have for this issue cannot be compared to that of mine

Charity begins at home.. for me i make sure my kids understand the language, know where they are from and their history and legacies of their ancestors (their ancestors are conquerors) and also associate themselves with edo community here..
Families have a big role to play, just waiting on the elders and palace to take lead wont work, they are busy enriching themselves..
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etrusen(m): 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2021
davidnazee:

Charity begins at home.. for me i make sure my kids understand the language, know where they are from and their history and legacies of their ancestors (their ancestors are conquerors) and also associate themselves with edo community here..
Families have a big role to play, just waiting on the elders and palace to take lead wont work, they are busy enriching themselves..

yea the family have big role to play

but since the family no longer see it as a problem...

the elders and palace don't want to lead

are we going to fold arms and look at what we cherish dying ?
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etinosa1234: 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2021
To be honest, I really don't know how to speak Benin...

I stayed in Benin for 4 years with my aunt and step grandma and I had an idea of the language

My cousin who I stay with in school doesn't speak it to me regularly

The only ones my Dad taught me was "Wa re asan" and that was a long time ago grin

Anytime I go to my uncle's house, I go dey shame because they speak to me with Benin but I just have to nod head like a lizard to pretend as if I understand cheesy

I earnestly hope there is a program to help the young ones speak the language

I love the language and want to speak but no one to teach... Now no time to learn because of school

Its best to notify all those big Benin FB groups so that they can start sensitisation campaigns
Re: The Edo Language Is Dieing At Our Watch by Etinosa1234: 6:31pm On Apr 26, 2021
I believe if we organise quizzes, debates that would be done in Benin language with an exciting prize... People will encourage their children to be fluent in the language to win

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are / Atyap People: A Kaduna Minority group / The WA.ZO.BIA (Unity) Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.