Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,809 members, 7,898,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 11:00 PM

Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? (24800 Views)

Nigeria Will Explore Nuclear Energy To Generate Electricity / Nigerian Senate Makes Case For Nuclear Energy / South East PDP Governors Re-consider The Buhari Option (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by Supersymetry: 4:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
Reference:

But Oga. The sun is a product of nuclear reactions, fission rections specifically, so what is the problem with having your own little sun in a lead box under your control. The sun is a fantastic source of energy. The problem is the control. It is far more difficult to convert solar energy at the cheap without the bigger problem that the earths backs down every 12 hours or so popularly called night.

Can you imagine what will happen to the earth and humans if you didn't have night. Just compare a microwave oven to a barbaque. People will burn alive. Night time is the biggest factor making renewables of all kinds impractical at the top end of demand curve and expensive at the bottom end AT THE MOMENT.
The sun use nuclear fusion not fission. Fusion far better than fission. So the problem is uranium based nuclear fission which is not sustainable.
Fusion technology is still in development, of which Africans should join in research, or even on a lower level join thorium based reactor research though it's not the best option.
Advanced battery technology will tackle the problem of storing solar energy for night use, like sodium ion battery, aluminium ion cell, flow cells etc.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by wirinet(m): 4:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Supersymetry:

The sun use nuclear fusion not fission. Fusion far better than fission. So the problem is uranium based nuclear fission which is not sustainable.
Fusion technology is still in development, of which Africans should join in research, or even on a lower level join thorium based reactor research though it's not the best option.
Advanced battery technology will tackle the problem of storing solar energy for night use, like sodium ion battery, aluminium ion cell, flow cells etc.

Africa join ke? Maybe white Africans, because black African are not interested in learning, science or research. How many functional research institutes do we have in the whole of Africa? How many museums, observatories, libraries, e-learning centres?

We are more interested in owanbes, worshiping (either Jesus, Allah, ogun, ifa, Amadioha, etc). We will wait for the Europeans or the Asians to do the research and produced the fusion reactors. We will then award the contracts at 10 times the cost, and chop the rest.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by codemaniacs: 5:05pm On Apr 22, 2020
Supersymetry:

If you want to power your house in Nigeria, you don't buy a generator that can power the entire street or local government, you buy a generator for own apartment or house only.

if Nigeria or other African countries with electricity issues want to industrialize, all they have to do is build industrial estates and send electricity to that industrial estate from solar, wind. you don't need a nuclear plant or dam to power an industrial or manufacturing estate..

the problem wirinet, Reference and mrphysics is not solar energy its superiority complex of downplaying other people's opinions and rubbishing the suggestions of others, its a very common trait in human nature.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by Sniper101(m): 5:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Sometime last week I saw a movie titled "Chernobyl" ...of which I know it was a real event which occurred in Ukraine.

So, I dare say that Africa, especially Nigeria, is light years from being able to handle or work with nuclear energy.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by Supersymetry: 5:28pm On Apr 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

If you want to power your house in Nigeria, you don't buy a generator that can power the entire street or local government, you buy a generator for own apartment or house only.

if Nigeria or other African countries with electricity issues want to industrialize, all they have to do is build industrial estates and send electricity to that industrial estate from solar, wind. you don't need a nuclear plant or dam to power an industrial or manufacturing estate..

the problem wirinet, Reference and mrphysics is not solar energy its superiority complex of downplaying other people's opinions and rubbishing the suggestions of others, its a very common trait in human nature.

yeah.
Like I said before, the problem with solar energy is people resisting change, architects, designers, engineers should design modern houses to fit solar panels. Next will be, replacement of power hungry appliances with efficient ones

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:03pm On Apr 22, 2020
codemaniacs:

the problem wirinet, Reference and mr physics is not solar energy its superiority complex of downplaying other people's opinions and rubbishing the suggestions of others, its a very common trait in human nature.

Since you want me to fully respond to why we shouldn't use solar as the ONLY source of electricity.

Solar is a great source of electricity, it's clean, and cheap. It should be a first choice of any country because there's no adverse effect unlike Nuclear PP. However, using Solar alone in a country like Nigeria is impossible and not advisable. Here's why:

Population: The population of Nigeria is much and growing exponentially. Energy demand of this population is increasing such that generating an equivalent energy for the population would require installing a solar panel in a land almost as big as the size of a state. This alone is impossible.

Dependence on Sun: Solar energy is completely dependent on sun. At light, we need to rely on the low energy generated and the ones stored in the battery. Such battery would pose alot of problem, coupled with the cost of producing such number of batteries for a big project like this.

Industrialization: For industries that require 24/7 electricity, Solar energy becomes a big no.
No additional usefulness: Solar energy is only used for energy and nothing else.

Now, this is why Nuclear Power Plant is important if any state wants to experience it's first uninterrupted power supply for atleast a month

Sustainability: A nuclear power plant is built to last for more than 50 years
Industrialization needs: Energy from nuclear power plant can be used to power any industry effectively.
Consistency: Wants a NPP starts, it will produce electricity for at least 6 months. New reactor designs are made such that reactor fuels can be changed or arranged while in operation. A reactor fuel assembly can go for 6 cycles, which is about 3 -5 years. Imagine being able to consistently generate electricity for 5 years
Independent: Nuclear source of electricity does not depend on anything. It's season or climate independent. Whether rainy or dry season, you are guaranteed of constant electricity.

Additional usefulness: Once you have a nuclear reactor, you begin to produce radioisotopes used in nuclear medicine, used in storage of foods and agricultural products, used in treatment of cancer. It opens opportunity for other technological advancement in different areas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
Supersymetry:

yeah.
Like I said before, the problem with solar energy is people resisting change, architects, designers, engineers should design modern houses to fit solar panels. Next will be, replacement of power hungry appliances with efficient ones

Lol, design houses to replace power hungry appliances, in current Nigeria? There's difference between research results and reality. Research is cool, but it needs to be transformed into a form that can be used. On daily basis, there are alot of research results being published, these results excites our minds of the next generation houses. The Life of Tomorrow.

Let's come back to reality bro, even if we are going to adopt solar, we will probably go the Germany way. Where they used Nuclear to attain energy efficiency and are now shutting down their nuclear reactors to focus on solar and also purchase from France. However, it is practically impossible to achieve energy independence using solar option.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by lowkeybahdguy(m): 6:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
scoundrel:

How does this copypasta relate to the topic at hand? You children have too much time and data on your hands.

Says the Oracle of Delphine.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by bokmal(m): 6:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
FeliciaOja:
Nigeria Handling Nuclear Energy
is like Giving A Monkey AK-47
Or Giving A 2yrs Old A Car To Drive

Both will end in pure disaster..

Both interesting scenarios.
In one scenario the car will not start.
In the other, the monkey will end up shooting itself, others or both �.

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by Supersymetry: 6:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
mrphysics:

Lol, design houses to replace power hungry appliances, in current Nigeria? There's difference between research results and reality. Research is cool, but it needs to be transformed into a form that can be used. On daily basis, there are alot of research results being published, these results excites our minds of the next generation houses. The Life of Tomorrow.

Let's come back to reality bro, even if we are going to adopt solar, we will probably go the Germany way. Where they used Nuclear to attain energy efficiency and are now shutting down their nuclear reactors to focus on solar and also purchase from France. However, it is practically impossible to achieve energy independence using solar option.
It is possible to use solar energy as the major source of energy.
I use to think otherwise before i studied physics behind solar technology and did some research and experiments.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Supersymetry:

It is possible to use solar energy as the major source of energy.
I use to think otherwise before i studied physics behind solar technology and did some research and experiments.

I didn't say otherwise. I just said that the research result isn't easily translated into reality. It will be suicidal to think that Nigeria with a population of 200m people will opt for solar as a major source. It doesn't make sense bro.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by codemaniacs: 6:31pm On Apr 22, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mhiztee15(f): 7:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
I offend you before undecided undecided undecided
tunary:
Garri end karniel//palm fruit.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mhiztee15(f): 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
Busy thinking about what to eat embarassed embarassed embarassed
Premiumwriter:
you still never find wetin to chop?
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by DonroxyII: 8:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
Fidelismaria:

I wonder what people mean when they say we're not ready yet?

Community policing
we're not ready yet

Restructuring
we're not ready yet

New constitution
we're not ready yet

what exactly is Nigeria ready for?

If we are not ready for the above you mentioned then we are not ready for Nuclear. One Abo.ki will just use it to wipe out Southern Nigeria if e vex.... If Shekau should hijack the Nuclear base ... e yaff finish be that.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by DonroxyII: 9:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Endybest5050:
English.....all I know is that we have the capacity to generate light to at least 100million Nigerians. The thing is is our power sector derive pleasure seing our cities dark...as far as I can tell NEPA is one of the agent of darkness that I know. They just want to prove to a newly born baby that Electricity is different from sunlight- that electricity is man made while sun is God.. Good lesson anyway...thunder fia fia...
This is Quite Hilarious.... Even Sun gives us light for atleast 12-13hours every blessed day consistently ... grin

If a Nigerian should be in charge of Sun .... Chaiii ... Bybye to our solar system.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by DonroxyII: 9:30pm On Apr 22, 2020
RTSC:
Nuclear energy under this buhari regime.?

A man that would fill the plant with barely qualified abokii.

Stop wishing us bad things.
Aswear ... The FG will just organise a programme for Northern Graduates from ABU Zaria and ATBU ... Gbam ... Those are the guys that will manage the Nuclear Plant .... See Explosion everywhere grin

MrPhysics is really thinking French.... This is Nigeria and we have borrowed everything from west but due to Nigerianisation, it never works....

Nuclear will only work within the year it is erected ... Subsequently, it won't work again ... More funds will be voted to take us back to Hydro ....

Nigeria and Abandoned project are 5 and 6.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by tunary(m): 9:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
mhiztee15:
I offend you before undecided undecided undecided
Na play I dey o, no vex. nobody way no dey drink garri, na packaging we all dey package. garri and kulikuli na normal food
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mhiztee15(f): 11:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
Lol no wahala
tunary:
Na play I dey o, no vex. nobody way no dey drink garri, na packaging we all dey package. garri and kulikuli na normal food

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:47am On Apr 23, 2020
DonroxyII:
Aswear ... The FG will just organise a programme for Northern Graduates from ABU Zaria and ATBU ... Gbam ... Those are the guys that will manage the Nuclear Plant .... See Explosion everywhere grin

MrPhysics is really thinking French.... This is Nigeria and we have borrowed everything from west but due to Nigerianisation, it never works....

Nuclear will only work within the year it is erected ... Subsequently, it won't work again ... More funds will be voted to take us back to Hydro ....

Nigeria and Abandoned project are 5 and 6.
Somethings have to be done right. More like someone said somewhere above that he would say no if he saw a Peace Mass Transit driver man the cockpit of Peace air. If you think the nuclear field is where nepotism will hit, then I am convinced that irrespective of who becomes the president, the country won't move forward.

It takes on average 6-7 years to build a nuclear power plant. This will be built by Russians (as the country has decided), they will operate it for sometime while simultaneously training people to take over. Even after finishing my intensive postgraduate study in Nuclear Engineering, I still have to be trained in the Nuclear facility for close to a year to be able to fully involved. This is done everywhere.

It's a field you don't want to bring nepotism.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:49am On Apr 23, 2020
DonroxyII:
If we are not ready for the above you mentioned then we are not ready for Nuclear. One Abo.ki will just use it to wipe out Southern Nigeria if e vex.... If Shekau should hijack the Nuclear base ... e yaff finish be that.

The problem is that you don't know the difference between a Nuclear Power Plant and Nuclear Weapon Base

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by orisa37: 7:07am On Apr 23, 2020
LET AFRICA GO FOR "OGOGOROVIRUS" !!!
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by candelahria(f): 8:29am On Apr 23, 2020
They've not finished cleaning up the oil spillage in our communities in the Nigerian Delta,not to talk of using nuclear plants.Nigeria will not dispose nuclear waste properly?The rate of cancer patients will increase.Nigeria is not ready for such now.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 23, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
No.. We are not ready yet

Certainly not in this lifetime.
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by ironheart(m): 12:32pm On Apr 23, 2020
Tunde835:
Wat About Global Warming
when we are self sufficient, we talk about that. Research has shown that there is much more carbon footprint produced in the production and running of an electric car compared to gasoline powered vehicles in the long run
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by DonroxyII: 6:39pm On Apr 23, 2020
mrphysics:

The problem is that you don't know the difference between a Nuclear Power Plant and Nuclear Weapon Base
I know the Difference what I'm talking about is Management ....

If we can't manage Hydro powered by Gas whether Private or Public-Private Patnership ... we can't manage Nuclear ....

The problem you have is technocracy : You keep talking about the technical benefit of the Nuclear Power Plants based on what is obtainable in other countries .... You are not Factoring Social-Political readiness of Nigeria and this is what will Kill the Plants and the catastrophic effect whatsoever !!

France has given you new outlook and you have forgotten home ... Here is not France !
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by DonroxyII: 6:47pm On Apr 23, 2020
mrphysics:

Somethings have to be done right. More like someone said somewhere above that he would say no if he saw a Peace Mass Transit driver man the cockpit of Peace air. If you think the nuclear field is where nepotism will hit, then I am convinced that irrespective of who becomes the president, the country won't move forward.

It takes on average 6-7 years to build a nuclear power plant. This will be built by Russians (as the country has decided), they will operate it for sometime while simultaneously training people to take over. Even after finishing my intensive postgraduate study in Nuclear Engineering, I still have to be trained in the Nuclear facility for close to a year to be able to fully involved. This is done everywhere.

It's a field you don't want to bring nepotism.
My Brother, I'm close to the Political cycle ... People like you would be the ones to develop the white paper to the project, it is always sweet on Papers but Implementation and Management is where the corruption comes in ...

One day, one day we will surely go Nuclear but Nigerianisation will come in and people like you would be so frustrated that Best Practices would be jettisoned for Nepotism ....

Dude, You ain't close to Political class , so ur knowledge is still shacking you..... Complete your studies and come home......

What is the Big Deal in Hydropower, See failure.... it is either the Gas supply today, The turbines, The Transmission Companies or The Distribution companies .... Last last Na Transformer issues or Poles issues ....

grin grin .... You don't know anything about Nigeria socio-Political class .... You are talking and Seeing French ...

Nuclear is good but how many beautiful projects have worked and works for many countries but has woefully failed here not due to technical problems but socio-Political problems....
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by GeniusWeb: 7:03pm On Apr 23, 2020
mrphysics:

Hello sir, I need some assistance from you pls, how can I get in touch??
Re: Should Africa Consider The Nuclear Energy Route? by mrphysics(m): 6:52am On Apr 24, 2020
DonroxyII:
My Brother, I'm close to the Political cycle ... People like you would be the ones to develop the white paper to the project, it is always sweet on Papers but Implementation and Management is where the corruption comes in ...

One day, one day we will surely go Nuclear but Nigerianisation will come in and people like you would be so frustrated that Best Practices would be jettisoned for Nepotism ....

Dude, You ain't close to Political class , so ur knowledge is still shacking you..... Complete your studies and come home......

What is the Big Deal in Hydropower, See failure.... it is either the Gas supply today, The turbines, The Transmission Companies or The Distribution companies .... Last last Na Transformer issues or Poles issues ....

grin grin .... You don't know anything about Nigeria socio-Political class .... You are talking and Seeing French ...

Nuclear is good but how many beautiful projects have worked and works for many countries but has woefully failed here not due to technical problems but socio-Political problems....
Lol, well, I don't know how close you are to the political class, to know no ones else is. However, as at 2017, I was a member of the World Bank Consulting team for Nigeria electricity problem. Though we didn't conclude the consulting services, however, I learned alot as we went more than half way into that job. I understand clearly how Nigerian electricity system and network works.
When it comes to awarding contracts, I can also tell you that I know to a large extent how it is done. In fact, I have access to see all contracts awarded in Nigeria. The amount, compliance, the ministry, etc. And I have been to many states to purse contracts at a very high level. So I understand clearly how things work in Nigeria.

Let me stop here. But if Nigeria wants to go Nuclear, they can and it will be successfully executed.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Federal Character: A Curse To Nigeria / Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo / Documents Of US Senate Warning Buhari On Credible Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.