Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 (54117 Views)

Plastic Chair Used As Wheelchair At The Emergency Unit Of UNTH, Enugu (Photos) / UNTH To Dispose 450 Unclaimed Corpses / The Food Given To Doctors At UNTH, Enugu (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by OdefaGirl(f): 5:53pm On Apr 22, 2020
"Doctors At UNTH Watched My Wife Die Like A Foul Without Helping Her For Fear Of Coronavirus"

-Husband

A 40-year-old man, Mr Nwachukwu Alagbu, has accused medical doctors at University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital UNTH, Ituku Ozalla, Enugu state, of killing his wife for the fear of been contracting the dreaded Coronavirus.

The man who cried profusely over the death of his wife with four children behind, explain to our Correspondent that; “my wife, late Mrs Nkiru Alagbu, was a 35-year-old woman who developed cardiovascular disorder shortly after her last child more than a year ago.

“Her medical condition had been waxing and waning, especially after every treatment.

“In January 2020, my wife developed the following symptoms: fever, breathlessness, chest pain, morbid weakness, and excessive sweating and loss of appetite. Her illness made my lovely wife visit so many hospitals until Tuesday (14th April 2020) when she had to be referred to a diagnostic Clinic in Enugu for some investigations.

“Right there, the good-spirited Consultant in that Clinic promptly referred her to a cardiologist for immediate attention when he noticed her major health challenge was cardiovascular disease”.

Continuing, Alagbu said “this action heralded our travails. For the avoidance of doubt, my wife and I had not traveled outside Enugu and Anambra States in the last five years. We had never come in contact with anyone diagnosed or suspected of having COVID-19.

“Unfortunately, by the period we got to the private hospital in Enugu in the morning on 15-04-2020, we were directed to Enugu State University Teaching Hospital Parklane GRA, Enugu. At ESUTH Parklane, they informed us their hospital did not have a functional Trolley or wheelchair to wheel my wife to the ward and that the hospital wards were full without empty beds.

“In frustration, I immediately took her to UNTH, Ituku/Ozalla. That was where the worst happened. A doctor came and from a prescribe social distance asked some few questions. Quickly, he concluded that, it was a case of COVID-19. Immediately myself, my brother’s wife and a family friend who offered to accompany us to the hospital started crying because none of the medical personnel on duty in the hospital Emergency cared to assist after my late wife was tagged a COVID-19 case. At this time my wife whispered to my ear, that I should not allow her die. I saw my wife in pain and she keep telling me that she would not die. I cried my eyes out when i learnt that the consultant cardiologist called UNTH, informing them to admit my wife for him. That he was coming to take over her treatment, but they ignored him, saying my wife was a Coronavirus patient.

“Within a short while, after the doctor made that COVID-19 proclamation, all the medical personnel disappeared. No one bothered to come close to her while she was lying in the car helpless. And after waiting for more than 30 minutes, I saw my brother’s wife ( A Consultant’ wife) crying uncontrollably, and handing her phone to a doctor so that the husband could explain the health situation of my wife to him.

“My brother later informed me what the doctor said. He said that they had started making efforts to contact the COVID-19 medical team that would handle the case of my wife.

“He told me that the doctor he spoke with on the phone was so rude and that that UNTH doctor started accusing him of threatening him after informing him that he had to make efforts to sustain the sick alive while they make their efforts at confirming or ruling out the COVID-19.

“All attempts made by my brother to convince them that my wife was not a COVID-19 case proved abortive”, Alagbu added.

He continued: “I have never felt so incapacitated like this since I was born some 40 years ago. I saw my wife die like a foul in a hospital, and the doctors turned their backs at her and worked away without pity or compassion, he wept.

“They allowed my wife to die unattended to, all in the name of fear of COVID-19. Medical doctors watched my wife die like a soulless being. I thought it was a local movie playing when I could not get help from the Government Hospital, simply because the doctors felt my wife had COVID-19 symptom.

“I knew the worst could have happened. But, I kept calm. To my most considerable chagrin, it took the person of the Chief Medical Director of the hospital to attend to her personally and certify her dead after the sick had been in the hospital for hours without the desired attention.

“It is a sad history in my whole life watching the mother of my children died like a foul. The hospital could not open a folder or card. She came to the hospital, died after about three hours while in a car”.

At that point, Nkiru’s body was taken away from UNTH Enugu to a private mortuary.

While calling on Enugu state governor, Chief Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC), to urgently intervened on the matter, Mr. Alagbu, asked If indeed the case was a COVID-19 case, “how come there were no efforts put in place for sample collection even after death, what measures did the hospital put in place to safeguard the mortuary staff?, Why did it take the hospital hours to wear their PPE and attend to the patient? What is the hope of ordinary men in our Nigeria hospital today? How come the whole fear of COVID-19 disappeared as soon as the patient died? I am heart-wrecked because my wife died leaving behind four children, the eldest is 11 year old.

“This wicked doctors watched my wife die like a foul for a purported fear of COVID-19”, he cried via telephone.

When contacted on the allegation the chairman UNTH, Medical Advisory Committee, Dr. Valentine Ogwu, he said he was in a meeting and promised to called back which he never did after several calls and text messages.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-doctors-abandoned-my-wife-to-die-over-covid-19-suspicion.html

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by BeStroNG(m): 5:55pm On Apr 22, 2020
Hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by daddytime(m): 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
What a painful loss.

Take heart sir in the consolation that she is in a better place.

185 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by brandon2009: 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
May her Soul rest in peace....

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by FINESHIRT(m): 5:59pm On Apr 22, 2020
RIP to her

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by DanseMacabre(m): 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
Tragic.

To be candid though, I'd rather put the blame on the failed government than on the medical personnel. The behaviour of the medical personnel towards the man's wife is a fallout of the government's refusal to provide them with equipment for fighting this virus.

247 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by overdrive(m): 6:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Too bad.

3 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nukilia: 6:11pm On Apr 22, 2020
Na today! Those living in Nigeria are surviving by Gods grace alone

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by kalufelix(m): 6:34pm On Apr 22, 2020
That's a sad one right there.. Typical of Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by gbebodye(f): 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2020
Let's not blame our frontline workers o, let's trace this back to the corrupt leaders governing this our shithole for they have failed to put the right facilities in place knowing they can easily escape to other countries and may her soul rest easy...She's free now tho

cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I525KtbupI

4 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by masterP042(m): 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2020
This is Nigeria. Almost every one likes to complain, and castigate the country and the leaders.. Until u have encounter with the average person out there, you'll know that they're no better than buhari or the average Nigerian they wail about.
Every where reeks of wickedness and incompetence.

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Jaqenhghar: 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2020
And theu will say they want salary increase. Or that its because of salary increase they left the woman to die.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Buharidgeneral: 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2020
So pathetic

Rest on

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Iamdamifroshii(m): 6:37pm On Apr 22, 2020
I won't blame the doctors yet

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nice365: 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
What a sad, unprefessional and unpatriotic story. Too bad.

7 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by HundredWays(m): 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
game over
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Mohammedbodija(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
So sad! Why would they do that?
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by bigstan11787(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
It's realy not easy for health workers this period o

8 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Yet some say they would never leave Nigeria. Rada rada

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by rawtouch: 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
rip
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Passionate888: 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Chai
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Darato: 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Chai may her soul rest in peace
On Saturday my father said he wasn’t feeling too well. Oya papa go hospital he said nbanu thy will detain me in isolation center saying I have Coronavirus. We all laugh while the old man refused to go to the hospital. He jejely strolled to a pharmacy.
Now I understand the old man fear.

41 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by mimee9(f): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2020
Rip madam, take heart sir

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Jaqenhghar: 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Tragic.

To be candid though, I'd rather put the blame on the failed government than on the medical personnel. The behaviour of the medical personnel towards the man's wife is a fallout of the government's refusal to provide them with equipment for fighting this virus.
Like I always say. If the conditions dont favour You, quit the job. Go to UK.Go to the Canada. If Doctors quit en masse shey government will sit up.

2. Let's not be vague who are the "government" who does not provide them with equipment. Minister for health no be doctor? The CMDs who chop money is it not their fellow doctors? Like I pointed out in a post the person who said doctors should go to farm was it not a fellow doctor? The one who ignorantly said they should go if they want that we have enough doctors, is it not their fellow doctor?

Then why must we tax payers suffer becaise their colleagues are fùcking Up?

They wont address the problem where it is but it is to punish innocent people. Same as the soldiers and police

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
the doctors turned their backs at her and worked away without pity or compassion, he wept.

My brother, it has been going on. No preparation whatsoever. If you know how many abandoned to die by merciless people who call themselves health workers especially in public hospitals.

Stay strong and sorry for the loss.

It is a mess in Nigeria. Not even test kits are sourced. A rapid test kit would have softened the fear. Sad one.

Lockdown means nothing without testing, isolating and treating infected ones.

10 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by IMRAAN33(m): 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
Chai a wooo. Painful exit....
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by spiceadole: 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
The medical personnels were in order.

No PPE...Run for your life!

Every patient right now is handled as a suspected Covid-19 case.
How much more with such complaints.

Medical personnels also have families and loved ones..Many are breadwinners too.

May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by airminem(f): 6:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
cry So sad.

RIP and my sympathy to the love one

Beautiful family

Igbo Amaka lipsrsealed

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Possibly The Skinniest Girl In The World / List Of Nigerian Nurses Caught For Forging Educational Credentials In The US / Doctors Charles Ikeji & Terhemba Lan Suspended Over Deaths Of Patients. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.