Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? (32307 Views)

Why Is The Muslim World So Poor? / Akinwumi: Despite Paying High Taxes, Nigerians Still Provide Water, Electricity / Are Nigerians Docile? - Charly Boy Blows Hot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Endybest5050: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2020
SLAP44:
I think it's because we elected someone who should have been enjoying his old age and retirement in a reputable old people's home with the vain hope that he will save our country.
I don't think so..it's because we are not rich people either
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Karlifate: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2020
Because the country is a "shithole" governed by greedy "zookeepers".

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by JBoss25(m): 10:56am On Apr 23, 2020
Tonero2162:
Speak for yourself bro. I'm a millionaire
Oya do giveaway na

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by hush15: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2020
PericomaNwankwo:
Poor because the government have refused to do its job.

Poor because the people have a low Human Development Index which is very evident in their choice of leaders, their inability to act like a nation with a common purpose and revolt when needed, but in Nigeria, people are okay with a bad leader because he is from their region.

Poor because even the little effort of the citizens are not compensated from the government due to its inability to put up a "at least basic infrastructure".

Poor because the people are as bad as their leaders. I always maintain that leaders were once part of the people and when the people are good, it becomes easier to elect good leaders because leaders are elected from the populace.

Poor because they have refused to empower its people. If they had given loans to the southerners to do their business and gave them the same benefit they gave others, we won't cry against RUGA because every tribe have what they are known for. In Igbo: " ndi owuna were ihe ha ji biri".

Poor also because, the marriage that birth Nigeria is wrong from word go.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2020
GOFRONT:
Upon all our crude Oil and our Money.........What a tragedy..
seguno2:

America also has crude oil but that does not stop them from working in all different ways to make their country better for lazy bone Nigerians to be their sidekicks.

1.Having crude oil alone does not make you rich. It is what you do with the crude oil that makes you rich.
If i had a farm that grew maize, I could make a pile of money just from selling the maize, and an even bigger pile if I processed the maize into many products.

2.Oil rich countries that are rich all have a) small populaitons eg Saudi produces 5-6 times more oil than we do, and has 10 million people. UAE produces the same amount of oil as we do and has 11 million people. b) are also industrial nations. Norway earns a large amount from oil and also has a strong industrial sector...including ironically producing machinery for the oil drilling and refining sector...for export.(And they have a tiny populaiton as well).

3.The US is primarily an industrial nation. That they are now the world's largest oil producer is the result of a) technological innovation borne out of being an industrial nation b) It has been US policy since they got their hands severely burned by OPEC in the 1970's to be energy independent, and they have succeeded...and this is one policy the Republicans and Democrats agree on.

4.I doubt the US is trying to make life better for all its citizens. Yes, they have some basic welfare....but it is sort of limited, and if you fall seriously ill in the US for example...you may end up with heavy duty medical bills.(compared to countries with good health insurance like the UK, Canada, Germany, etc).

5.The problem with Nigeria? We want the benefits of a first world nation without the productivity.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by bluefilm: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2020
SLAP44:
I think it's because we elected someone who should have been enjoying his old age and retirement in a reputable old people's home with the vain hope that he will save our country.

When you finally learn that your success in life is not tied to any particular individual, that day you will experience a joyous change in your life!

But until then... keep wailing exactly like your father wailed during IBB regime!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 23, 2020
Poshriel:
[s]One can only be poor if he or she chooses to be..[/s]

Away from that pls change the topic to why is Nigeria poor... That way you have excluded me from the figure
What a load of naive crap.
If you're born in Nigeria, there's a 70% chance that you're going to be poor.
The Dynamics of world economics and global capitalism won't respect your "prophetic and motivational" declaration or your choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Xisnin(m): 10:57am On Apr 23, 2020
kikero:

Exactly.

Countries like Saudi Arabia and Libya(under Ghaddafi) operated by that policy. They are poor countries which appear rich because of high oil incomes and low populations.

If Saudi was 200-300million people in size, they would have been as broke as we are.

The problem with Nigeria is that Nigerians expect government to share money for them. Because...we are poor. The truth is, if we had invested the money we earned since independence in improving our productive capacity ie on power, rail transport, technical education...we might have been in a better place by now. Many of these our big men would have even been richer now

Our political foundation is faulty.
Politicians have been conditioning people for a long time that the primary function
of a government is to share money and politicians that don't are corrupt and failures.

Every political campaign is about sharing money or gifts.

Even on Nairaland, any topic about the economy devolves into "give me my share"

These people don' know that the money just serves as a means of exchange and have no
intrinsic value.
They don't know the real value lies in productivity and if you try to point it out, they lash out.
The worst is that the politicians have also fallen for the lies they have been telling people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 23, 2020
Rgade:

What a load of naive crap.
If you're born in Nigeria, there's a 70% chance that you're going to be poor.
The Dynamics of world economics and global capitalism won't respect your "prophetic and motivational" declaration or your choice.

The progress you make in life my brother is not always how rich you are

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by seguno2: 10:59am On Apr 23, 2020
Bluffly:

It is the responsibility of the government to development sustainable infrastructure and maintain as people pay tax and levies or fees. How can a citizen pay all that and government will fail in enforcement and regulation.

Which government are you talking about?
The one in Aso Rock or the one in the NASS Building?
The one in your state governor’s house or in the state assembly house?
What about the one in your LGA Council building?
Do you know what you mean by government since you pay taxes
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Edusouls(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2020
We think and act poorly, we have very low iq, we breed like rats, we are lazy wants the best in life but without working, we are too thief minded, the average Nigerian women is destiny destroyer

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Aystarz: 10:59am On Apr 23, 2020
Eulalia:
Because the wealth meant for everyone has been cornered for the elites alone. undecided

Just imagine those fat cats in the National Assembly and the enormity of the allowance they cart home every month. Statistics show that almost half of the National Budget goes to those empty-headed assholes and we wonder why Nigeria is poor

Worst thing is to change the statusquo, we'd need good pro-masses laws to work our way out, but how do you expect a thieving lawmaker to embark on a project that will ultimately put an end to his thievery?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Ucheamani(m): 10:59am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigeria can definitely do more but we keep comparing it with wrong countries whose circumstances are way different.
Beyond geography and nomenclature, Nigeria also lacks the attributes of a nation. Majority of Nigerians both the rulers and the ruled do not believe in Nigeria nationhood, they merely see the country as a foreign land where we all converge to exploit the system. No sense of patriotism.
While Nigeria can boast of some of the smartest people in the world, these are in minority which makes it easy for the mediocres who are in the majority to always succeed in electing one of their own to govern us, afterall its a game of numbers.
So its high time we get the right diagnosis for our dilemma and look to God for solution. Mankind has surely failed and will always do.

1.Russia is also an industrial nation, and earns billions from selling industrial products, and tourism, and also sells most of its gas

2.UAE produces the same amount of oil Nigeria has, for a population of 11 million people. (And their economy is diversified to boot)

3.Saudi Arabia produces five times the amount of oil Nigeria produces for 12 million people.(And let's not even mention the billions it earns from hosting Islam's holiest site)

4.African oil producers for the most part...aren't doing much about palliatives. But a quick check....

Angola is Africa's second largest oil producer, and they have less than 40 million people

Algeria is also a large oil producer...for 37 million people.

And then there is Nigeria, an oil dependent nation, producing 2.4m barrels on a good day for 200 million people. Even without our leaders stealing the money, the revenue per person isn't much.(unless oil was selling at $139 per barrel)

Keep in mind I am not defending Buhari...but the truth is, Nigeria is not rich. We produce too little oil for a very large population. If we wanted to be like Saudi Arabia and UAE, we should probably tell 190million Nigerians that they are not Nigerians, and spend the oil revenue on the remaining 10 million.

Either we become an industrial nation, exporting industrial goods or else.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by nzeakor24(m): 11:00am On Apr 23, 2020
Lock Down? Then Discover how
You can earn up to NGN20,000 weekly working from home, without having to sell anything. All you need is a phone and internet connection to access your social media and you are good to go.

Are you interested in becoming a realtor(Real Estate Consultant) ?
You can also make alot of money selling lands in ibeju lekki and other locations in Nigeria,e.g,
Owerri, Enugu, Awka ,Abuja, lagos etc

NOTE: You can participate in this business opportunity irrespective of your location and what you do.

Register here now for Free;

http://portal.realtyprosnig.com/553996

After registration, join our whatsapp group for trainings How To become a real estate consultant.

https:///IMVFW59OxgB0o1smCVsLNh

Stay Home! Earn More!
IG - realtypros_investment
Twitter - RealtyprosL
Facebook - realtyprosnig

Engr. Obinna Azonobi
MD/CEO, Realtypros IGL
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by alphaRego01(m): 11:00am On Apr 23, 2020
Illiteracy.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 23, 2020
Omooba77:
By Abimbola Adelakun

https://punchng.com/why-are-nigerians-still-so-poor/
Sai Change

cc lzaa itooworwor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Snoopfundz: 11:01am On Apr 23, 2020
Omooba77:
By Abimbola Adelakun

https://punchng.com/why-are-nigerians-still-so-poor/

We are poor because of the nature of our elections. Instead of voting based on meritocracy we vote for the highest bidder. This is so bad as after elections the winners must have spent fortunes for the position, and who on earth won't embezzle public funds to make up for the cash spent on voters during election? We dug our graves, and we should learn from it. I made a lot of money selling my votes to various buyers and am paying the price. To better our nation i will vote no more based on immediate gain but rather for the future. Let's start at home in making Nigeria better. Don't blame the leaders as we will all do the same in such manner of vote canvassing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by handiriwamadi(m): 11:01am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigerians are poor because of the type of leaders we have, incompetent and corrupt looters. All they know is how to steal money and buy properties all over the world. That is the only problem they have nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Bluffly: 11:02am On Apr 23, 2020
seguno2:

Which government are you talking about?
The one in Aso Rock or the one in the NASS Building?
The one in your state governor’s house or in the state assembly house?
What about the one in your LGA Council building?
Do you know what you mean by government since you pay taxes

They are in tiers and they know their jurisdictions and applicable taxes and where it comes in multiple. They know. The three Tiers no their responsibilities and the arms no as well
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by apex977: 11:03am On Apr 23, 2020
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 23, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Nigerians have never been anything but poor.
GUY take am easy naaaa
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by tayebest(m): 11:04am On Apr 23, 2020
Omooba77:
Abimbola and co were the media arm then. Why cant our rice policy sustain us now. Yet we keep on wasting money on institutes like NPA, NNPC, NIMASA, NDDC...................

This rice policy was working fine, it only slow down because of this pandemic. What the president need to do is to relief this lockdown for the farmers to ensure proper food security.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by GeneralPula: 11:04am On Apr 23, 2020
Because lots of Nigerians can’t think..

Nigeria is a country that if you’re able to think outside the box, you’ll be rich massively. Government would even worship you well. That’s one advantage of this country..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Sofistcatdmoron: 11:06am On Apr 23, 2020
SLAP44:
Yoruba Muslims are the course

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2020
bmdmixer:
u were told by a report from a clueless president.

wat else did u expect?

me i wan pay for gotv

my acc

ohonsi ehisuoria

gtbank savings

Thanks am not hungry (smiles)

Download branch or carbon app. Access N5000 from them. Pay your gotv bill
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by aladeokin1000(m): 11:07am On Apr 23, 2020
Big Question
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by lawani: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigeria is not organised. Majority of the economy is informal, not paying tax. To be rich, we have to organise with our government depending on income tax like industrialized nations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by GamalNasser: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2020
You vote evangelist of poverty Buhari as your president and you don't want to be poor , you are all mad !!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 23, 2020
airminem:
BAMIDELE, I swear if i could assist, then i would immediately. So sorry sad
thanks for the kind word.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nse Ekpenyong Is Dead: Member Representing Oron Fed Constituency Dies At 58 / CDD West Africa Fact Checks Peter Obi's Arise TV Interview. / Picture Of Dino Melaye Relaxing At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.