Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It (561 Views)

How I Made Over A Million Naira Growing Pawpaw / Agriculture And Culture In Nigeria / Castor Farming In Nigeria: The Trending Niche In Agriculture That May Make You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 23, 2020
Hello nairalanders, I understand this period is so intense especially emotionally. Let's ease those emotions a bit

Mention one mistake you made as a beginner that almost got you crazy( grin), ao you could have avoided it, and a better way it could have been done.

I recently ventured into vegetable production, especially tomatoes, I was so lucky to get my nursery right. Everything looked so cute, beautiful and perfect until I crossed my boundary.
I read something online about kerosene used in controlling pests, I didn't know what came over me, I woke up the next morning and sprayed my cute tomato nursery with concentrated kerosene.

Few hours later, went to check my nursery and I almost fainted. They were burnt beyond recognition embarassed
It was that day I experienced what it actually means for ones heart to skip a beat, cos mine skipped several beats (lol). It's funny right?? I was emotionally down until some sweet individuals ministered to me to start afresh.

How I could have prevented this:

I could have easily tested my perfect kerosene mixture on a small portion of my nursery and observe the reaction

Better ways I could have controlled pests in my nursery:

I could have opted for mild and organic methods like:
a) using a sticky trap
b) using organic pest control like neem oil, biopesticides etc
c) planting a pest repellant such as mint, basil, coriander etc beside my nursery

Can you kindly share your bad experiences also and ao you intend tackling such in the nearest future.

Thanks
Re: A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It by spinna: 10:36am On Apr 23, 2020
Spending too much on farm facility and too little on stock

1 Like

Re: A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It by manny4u(m): 10:46am On Apr 23, 2020
I am following, so that I can learn as a prospective farmer.
Re: A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2020
spinna:
Spending too much on farm facility and too little on stock

Can you pls expantiate on this Spinna? The story aspect actually makes it more fun.
This thread is actually to catch fun and learn from other people's mistakes. Thanks wink

1 Like

Re: A Mistake I Made In Agriculture And How I Could Have Avoided It by dedons: 11:51am On Apr 23, 2020
Mine is employing an indigene of the community as my farm hand.
He almost collapsed my investment with his evil mind and laziness.

(1) (Reply)

CBN Agricultural Loan For Young Farmers / SNAIL FARMING TRAINING; Learn What It Takes To Be A Snail Farmer / LOGISTICS SERVICE BY SURVIVAL POULTRY FARM SERVICES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.