Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. (1039 Views)

Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? / Please My Marriage ! Advice Please / Help, My Guy Needs A Good Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 10:40am On Apr 23, 2020
I had to open an account because I need a serious advice regarding the welfare of my family and I remain grateful for the anticipated advices.

Pls what kind of business can a man of 68 years venture into?

If you really want to know what led to this question,the man referred above is my Dad, a widower, who I am not happy with the type of business he is still doing at his age. He is into transportation business but specializes in towing vehicles which really made things great for him back then but life happened and it's nolonger Rossy for him(for more than 13 years) but I am grateful to God because he raised 5 graduates which I am the 4th and currently employed(I reside in Lagos State).
I want him to stop that business because it is very stressful and he doesn't need such at his age so we want to make plans for him to relocate from Aba(Abia State) to akwa(Anambra State) which is our Hometown.

I need information such as:
- Nature of business
- Capital required
- Other necessary information required to make it a successful business especially in akwa(Anambra state).

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 23, 2020
Dude at his age una still want make he work? You and your siblings should place him on a salary make he enjoy him retirement Abeg.

The man Don try. Make he rest Abeg.

5 Likes

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:45am On Apr 23, 2020
If he has a bus he should give it out for higher purchase and earn his income from there every week
At that age you shouldnt have. Been stressing him
Baba is getting old he should not be stressing his self again at that age
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Michelle55: 10:56am On Apr 23, 2020
No more business biko.. It's time for him to rest and enjoy the fruits of his labour.. Just like shibaraba rightly said, he should be placed on a monthly salary and if he isn't the type to stay idle, you guys should look for a business that is less stressful for him..

3 Likes

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 11:01am On Apr 23, 2020
Thanks so much for the response but another problem here is I am the only one employed at the moment (so he doesn't get money from all his kids)and my Dad will never agree to him staying at home doing nothing. He will start saying he will fall sick and one thing he hates is not being able to access cash when he needs it.
Currently what's sustaining him is the investments he made years back so I want to gather money from rents then add money to get him something doing.something that doesn't require him stressing himself just to keep him busy and in turn meet his needs.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 11:04am On Apr 23, 2020
Michelle55:
No more business biko.. It's time for him to rest and enjoy the fruits of his labour.. Just like shibaraba rightly said, he should be placed on a monthly salary and if he isn't the type to stay idle, you guys should look for a business that is less stressful for him..

You are right, the business ideas is what I am searching for.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Richy4(m): 11:08am On Apr 23, 2020
It doesn't work like that my friend. If u want to relocate him to Anambra State and a certain City, then feasibility study is required. What does the community or that locality need that an old pensioner can do..

people might suggest stuffs to you here but it might not be needed much over there in that locality..

Just make out time maybe and ask around about the location, or go there for 1 week and make some survey / research. If u you were business minded, u might figure out what or which business might progress in that community that a pensioner can do without stress.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 11:10am On Apr 23, 2020
Richy4:
It doesn't work like that my friend. If u want to relocate him to Anambra State and a certain City, then feasibility study is required. What does the community or that locality need that an old pensioner can do..

people might suggest stuffs to you here but it might not be needed much over there in that locality..

Just make out time maybe and ask around about the location, or go there for 1 week and make some survey / research. If u you were business minded, u might figure out what or which business might progress in that community that a pensioner can do without stress.

Will give it a try, thanks alot.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by daddytime(m): 11:14am On Apr 23, 2020
Richy4:

Follow this op's advice.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Codeblues(m): 12:06pm On Apr 23, 2020
Hi op, it's good that you have your father in mind and appreciates what he has done for you and your siblings over the years as a widower. However I will like you to reason the followings:

1. This is the work he has been doing over the years to raise you and your siblings.
2. He has make gains/loss and has gathered lots of experience with the job based on how to deal with customers, co-workers, biz associates etc.
3. He has makes friends on this job.
4. Did he complained about the job or wanted to change.
5. Have you discussed with him your plans and how he accepted it.
6. Setting him up with a biz now will surely lead to a disaster as he have to start learning the basics of such biz considering the fact that a new energy and stamina is required for a new successful biz.
7. Failure in his new biz might lead to depression and might cause harm to his health or die sef.

Lastly, if you dont want him to do his job place him on a monthly salary which can be equivalent or above what he makes on his job now as this might give him a satisfaction.

My 2 cents to you op.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2020
Codeblues:
Hi op, it's good that you have your father in mind and appreciates what he has done for you and your siblings over the years as a widower. However I will like you to reason the followings:

1. This is the work he has been doing over the years to raise you and your siblings.
2. He has make gains/loss and has gathered lots of experience with the job based on how to deal with customers, co-workers, biz associates etc.
3. He has makes friends on this job.
4. Did he complained about the job or wanted to change.
5. Have you discussed with him your plans and how he accepted it.
6. Setting him up with a biz now will surely lead to a disaster as he have to start learning the basics of such biz considering the fact that a new energy and stamina is required for a new successful biz.
7. Failure in his new biz might lead to depression and might cause harm to his health or die sef.

Lastly, if you dont want him to do his job place him on a monthly salary which can be equivalent or above what he makes on his job now as this might give him a satisfaction.

My 2 cents to you op.

Thanks for the Advice.
The truth is that his business was a cool one that made him rich but it isn't the same now and the nature of Abia also contributed to that and it's obvious that job isn't for him anymore( people he competes with are mostly the kids of his associates and other Young guys because the business is purely something for younger men)

Yes he has clients but not as he used to because a lot of them left the state and some lost their stand. Also it's more competitive now and is not business as usual and at his age, that job is so stressful just visualize him turning Mack steering, controlling a towing winch, arguing with police at checkpoints each time he's towing trucks and the worst of it all is that he sleeps outside alot of times because the work is quite unpredictable. Because it is mostly interstate, You may feel you will come back before night falls before you know it police wahala, traffic, armed robbery, car breakdown in a deserted express and a whole lot of issues will make you sleep inside the car till morning then you continue. sometimes for 2days he will still be on the road(I experienced this alot of times I went to work with him then during school breaks and all but he's getting too old for that pls).

Currently, the business isn't sustaining him as it used to and his saving grace are the investments he made when the cash was flowing in. As a matter of fact, those investments saw us through university not even the business because it has gone down before then.

As for paying him amount equivalent to what he earns it can't work because some months we won't see a dime while some he will see at most 50k which will probably go back to vehicle maintenance. Like I said what he relies on are investments which he made when he had trucks and tankers before life happened and he hates it when he can't access cash for his use. He personally said it was one of his reasons for making alot of investments and my salary isn't enough to be giving him weekly allowance that's why we need something he can hold on to anytime he needs funds at least to eat what he wants and get his medication anytime he's sick and also get him busy as he wants.

As for the business failing, I don't pray for that remember the current one is not reliable and is not even his means of survival so trying another one won't be bad also if he continues with the current business, he won't be doing that for the next five /ten years because of old age

The point is that we want to gather funds for him to start a business that won't be stressing him at his age as what he is doing now isn't what it used to be and I need him to see all of my kids and by his grace his GGkids.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Alennsar(f): 4:32pm On Apr 23, 2020
My opinion might not be the best though.

What of block industry, he will just employ people to work for him and he will be the manager

Motor spare parts or okada parts.

Cement store but all the business needs you to employ a trustworthy helper for him.
My head is not settled at the moment jarei

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 23, 2020
You can find him something simple to do. At his age he should be relaxing, not doing anything too tasking.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by andyanders: 2:19am On Apr 24, 2020
Op, that's nice of you. For me, depending on the location he is and his age, cement business is ok 'cus, he'll be able to know the number of bags in stock even if he gets a sales boy, it will be had for a bag to miss. It is not all that parishable if taken care of not to be exposed to rain or moisture. Whenever he is out of stock, he can call the supplier for more. If he has a small truck or van, that will be an added advantage.

You'll need to carry him along in your business plan b4 deciding on my suggestion. Find out from him what he wants.

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by BetterPoison: 2:55am On Apr 24, 2020
Shibaraba:
Dude at his age una still want make he work? You and your siblings should place him on a salary make he enjoy him retirement Abeg.

The man Don try. Make he rest Abeg.
when old people eat and sleep, sickness comes in.
They need to move around and exercise the body.

Old people knows this

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by adexpa(m): 7:02pm On Apr 24, 2020
Your idea is a good one op, my father is that kind of man who refused to rest until his 90s when we later moved him to stay with my sister. He moved from civil servant to selling kerosene to farm to selling food stuffs in a shop up until age 90 but he designed different businesses he did himself. Strong n energetic men hate sitting idle until they can't do anything again.
If I may suggest, I think selling cement is likely to be good n block industry too but location will really determined. The first thing you need to do is survey, find out what is selling in the location you planned to move him n also ask him which one of those things he will prefer to do cus some level of passion will be required of him to survive...discuss the whole plan with him n don't think you will surprise him cus he might be the fastest person to even suggest idea base on his passion.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by akaahs(m): 7:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
Op since dad is experienced on towing business which is mostly interstate.why not think of localising it by limiting his movements just within town? U guy can achieve this, by acquiring a good jeep/Landrover that can be use for towing small vehicles/cars that broke down within the town. In addition, U guys should also support him small allowance every month not stress himself Incase no work.
Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 12:27pm On Apr 25, 2020
akaahs:
Op since dad is experienced on towing business which is mostly interstate.why not think of localising it by limiting his movements just within town? U guy can achieve this, by acquiring a good jeep/Landrover that can be use for towing small vehicles/cars that broke down within the town. In addition, U guys should also support him small allowance every month not stress himself Incase no work.

Saying we should limit the towing to just within town isn't a good option because the type of towing he does is for big trucks and not small vehicles and you know tankers, tippers and trailers are basically interstate conveyors so if you say just within town is as good as saying he should not do the business because most clients operate interstate and if we should get him a landrover that just same as changing business because he will start looking for clients due to the fact that he has gone from towing big trucks to small vehicles which have different client base and trust me it's not worth the stress.

I do give him allowance but the deal here is That the business isn't worth the stress anymore and he's getting too old for it so we want him out of it for real so towing or any stressful business is a NO.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Good Advice, Please Help Me. by Nickxander11(m): 12:30pm On Apr 25, 2020
adexpa:
Your idea is a good one op, my father is that kind of man who refused to rest until his 90s when we later moved him to stay with my sister. He moved from civil servant to selling kerosene to farm to selling food stuffs in a shop up until age 90 but he designed different businesses he did himself. Strong n energetic men hate sitting idle until they can't do anything again.
If I may suggest, I think selling cement is likely to be good n block industry too but location will really determined. The first thing you need to do is survey, find out what is selling in the location you planned to move him n also ask him which one of those things he will prefer to do cus some level of passion will be required of him to survive...discuss the whole plan with him n don't think you will surprise him cus he might be the fastest person to even suggest idea base on his passion.

Your opinion is nice, I have already made plans to carry out a survey once the Pandemic is over then kick off from there.

(1) (Reply)

Man Seen Flogging His Pregnant Wife Outside Their Home In Uganda (video) / Where To Find Quality Kitchen Utensils For Your Home / Emotional Moment As Argentina Legalises Abortion In Historic Vote (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.