Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown (1310 Views)

This Lockdown Has Really Improved Me / Learn 3D ANIMATION during this lockdown / 10 Critical Mistakes To Avoid When Choosing A Logo Designer For Your Startup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by erad(m): 3:34pm On Apr 23, 2020

This is a very trying period for most of us. Having to deal with a limit to our freedom of movement and also the loss of income due to closed places of business. It is truly a very trying time for humanity.
But even with these very sad realities, a number of people have made it their duty to add to the pains of others through various fraudulent opportunities and schemes.

I've come up with 3(Three) of such schemes I know about, I hope others will lend a voice to help expose others.

1. PYRAMID SCHEMES(loom)...

Honestly I still find it very very shocking that people are falling for this scheme. MMM was just yesterday, is that how short our memory is?
Loom like every other pyramid scheme before it works in one way and one way only, lure you in with little gains and disappear with your bigger commitment and the commitment of others you drag in. If it looks too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

2. SUBSIDIZED SHORT-TERM ONLINE TUTORIALS...

This is like the funniest I've seen.

"BECOME A PRO IN A WEEK"

Looks very innocent but deeply mischievous especially when it's pretty obvious your so called tutor is not even successful at what they want to teach you. Imagine a designer telling you that you can make N100,000 or more monthly by being a designer and they can teach you what you need to know in a week at a subsidized rate. Really?

If it was that lucrative, why do you have to charge to teach others?
Why have you not taught the jobless members of your family so you'll have lesser dependents and more money in the family?

Anything you are hoping to learn in just a week will definitely only be a waste of your precious time and money. The only kind of pro you will be in a week is a professional maga.
But seriously, what were you expecting?

3. GET PAID TO USE A WEBSITE...

I don't know if there are any genuine ones out there but I'm very sure there are a lot of fraudulent ones. And I see some even asking particular amounts for registration fee so you can start earning 'millions'.

Hahahahahahahaha.

The first question is why do I need to pay to get a job?
The second question is since you are sure I will earn so much, why not let me start working and remove your registration fee from my first payout?

I know there was one I did a while back and I made so much money on the site.
I could almost swear that banana island will receive a new visitor after my six month earnings, with the rate I was going.
The problem came when it was time to withdraw my earnings. That's when the requirements started. As you are meeting one, another arises, and it goes on and on until you slowly come to the realization of how much time you've wasted building castles in the air.

There is only one reason these sort of scams are still effective against people, plain old GREED.

If I was making so much money online, the last thing I will want to do is teach you or tell you about it since the lesser people that know about it, the more my own earnings will be. A typical Nigerian does not share especially when it comes to their source(s) of income, so whatever is making him/her so magnanimous means there is an ulterior motive.
Don't be blinded by the destiny to overlook the journey.
Nothing good comes easy.

If you have a neighbor who robs every other house on the street but you always dismiss the dangers because you feel it's not affecting you or that you are covered since you live in the same house, a day is coming when everyone on the street will either move out or improve their security. Where do you think will be the next place your neighbor will rob?

We kept quiet for so long and watched yahoo boiz unleash hell on foreigners, we justified it in every mundane way possible, we said they deserved it for what they did to our forefathers, we looked the other way.
Now... the bird has come home to roost.

You don't have to protect your neighbor, at least protect yourself.

See also Nairaland Portfolio For Logo Designers:
https://www.nairaland.com/5650151/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers-2020

Seun
lalasticlala
mynd44

1 Like

Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by excellgraphics(m): 3:45pm On Apr 23, 2020
With reference to this post as claim by erad I was just browse now on Facebook and I saw this ad as regard to graphics design training with Photoshop and on phone with just N1,000 I can't believe people can be this desperate to extort some innocent citizens of this country all in the name of skill training promo,this is bad and the truth about the whole story is that no one can teach you real graphics design with photoshop at a fee of N1,000 not even on phone, people should use there sense and go for the right person who offer the comprehensive training at affordable price, my though.

Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by ValCon888: 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2020
An excellent thread and well-written.
Every single thing you said made sense.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by erad(m): 4:52pm On Apr 23, 2020
ValCon888:
An excellent thread and well-written.
Every single thing you said made sense.

Thank you.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Bilabong(m): 4:26pm On Apr 24, 2020
Na God go help
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by doggedfighter(f): 8:41pm On Sep 28, 2020
erad:

Thank you.
erad, respond to that guy's questions here, please

I'm learning graphics design.

What niche should advice I major on?

please how do I advertise myself as a broker so I can be getting jobs ?
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by erad(m): 9:37pm On Sep 28, 2020
doggedfighter:

erad, respond to that guy's questions here, please

I'm learning graphics design.

What niche should advice I major on?

please how do I advertise myself as a broker so I can be getting jobs ?

Hi... So his questions.

NettyNelly:

1. How does it feel to be called a graphic designer. (Do you think or rather prefer to be addressed as a brand Creator/designer.)
2. Do you work on Fiverr or Upwork.

1. Being referred to as a graphics designer is more appropriate except for someone who has decided to pick a particular field of design and major in it. Now let's assume you have a business card that states your job title as "brand Creator/designer", and I have a business card that reads "graphics designer".... We both dropped our cards with a company and later on the company needed someone for a social media banner design... Based on their job titles alone as stated on their business cards, who do you think will be considered for the job?? Naturally the one that states "graphics designer" because the job at hand has nothing to do with brand creation. Do you get??

2. No I don't... Majority of such sites require me to be deceptive about my identity and country which I don't feel comfortable with. Plus such sites greatly undervalue designers and others in the creative field. Just my personal opinion and decision.

Thank you.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by doggedfighter(f): 10:34pm On Sep 28, 2020
erad:

Hi... So his questions.

1. Being referred to as a graphics designer is more appropriate except for someone who has decided to pick a particular field of design and major in it. Now let's assume you have a business card that states your job title as "brand Creator/designer", and I have a business card that reads "graphics designer".... We both dropped our cards with a company and later on the company needed someone for a social media banner design... Based on their job titles alone as stated on their business cards, who do you think will be considered for the job?? Naturally the one that states "graphics designer" because the job at hand has nothing to do with brand creation. Do you get??

2. No I don't... Majority of such sites require me to be deceptive about my identity and country which I don't feel comfortable with. Plus such sites greatly undervalue designers and others in the creative field. Just my personal opinion and decision.

Thank you.
Much thanks.
Will appreciate if you can answer my other questions, please. Thanks
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by erad(m): 11:19pm On Sep 28, 2020
doggedfighter:

Much thanks.
Will appreciate if you can answer my other questions, please. Thanks

Please type them here.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by doggedfighter(f): 7:02am On Sep 29, 2020
erad:

Please type them here.
What niche of graphics design do you advice I major in from your experience?

How do I advertise myself so as to get jobs?
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by erad(m): 11:04am On Sep 29, 2020
doggedfighter:

It boils down to what you have passion for and what you feel your resources at the moment can handle.
For example, you can't have a system that can only handle one graphics software at a time and you are thinking of doing video and animation...
Doesn't make much practical sense.

In terms of advertisements...
A designer's major source of ads is current clients.
Their referrals go a long way and has a more personal effect than pasting ads everywhere where most people don't even understand what you do and will just get irritated by it.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by froshman(m): 1:02pm On Oct 04, 2020
I have a question. A client asked me to make a logo for him. He's into gas filling and electrical works. I need help on how to go about the logo design process. I tried making a monogram logo but didnt like the outcome.

I need your candid opinion on this and also your contact if possible
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Offpoint1: 1:44pm On Oct 04, 2020
froshman:
I have a question. A client asked me to make a logo for him. He's into gas filling and electrical works. I need help on how to go about the logo design process. I tried making a monogram logo but didnt like the outcome.

I need your candid opinion on this and also your contact if possible
First step: get the logo brief and interact with your clients ( more details about prospective customer, future expectations and so on)

2nd step: Make research about the logo, study logos from other companies/organisations that offer same service.

3. Conceptualize and sketch... Before jumping to computer.

Hope that help
You can let other designers to review the logo before you send to your client for revisions.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Offpoint1: 1:53pm On Oct 04, 2020
doggedfighter:

About niche for a beginner I always advised "Start learning the basics first" into the process you'll figure out your weakness and strength. From there you'll discover which niche will be suitable and convenient for you.

About advertising yourself "Your works will do 60% of the job, follow by clients you've handled job for... Have a strong portfolio and display your works on different social media platforms/websites.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by doggedfighter(f): 2:24pm On Oct 04, 2020
Offpoint1:

About niche for a beginner I always advised "Start learning the basics first" into the process you'll figure out your weakness and strength. From there you'll discover which niche will be suitable and convenient for you.

About advertising yourself "Your works will do 60% of the job, follow by clients you've handled job for... Have a strong portfolio and display your works on different social media platforms/websites.

Offpoint, you are a darling. This is concise and precise. Much thanks
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Offpoint1: 4:10pm On Oct 04, 2020
doggedfighter:

Offpoint, you are a darling. This is concise and precise. Much thanks
Ya welcome...

Anytime you need my attention just add 1 to my moniker, my main account is been banned till 2050 for reasons best known to the mod
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by doggedfighter(f): 9:09pm On Oct 04, 2020
Offpoint1:

Ya welcome...

Anytime you need my attention just add 1 to my moniker, my main account is been banned till 2050 for reasons best known to the mod
Offpoint1, I intend starting the learning this week.

Where do I start? What areas should I pay attention to as a beginner? How do I make it an interesting journey? What are the steps? I once read you advice someone on typography, color not sure , gridding .

Please, talk to me generally as a beginner
How long can one learn corel, Photoshop etc.
Thanks once again.
Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Offpoint1: 5:58am On Oct 05, 2020
doggedfighter:

Where do I start? What areas should I pay attention to as a beginner? How do I make it an interesting journey? What are the steps? I once read you advice someone on typography, color not sure , gridding .

Thanks once again.
Morning...
I don't why you didn't DM me, I needed to give you some guidelines.

Nevertheless, I'll respond to your questions later in the day, I'm sort of hooked up this morning.

Happy new week

1 Like

Re: 3 Scams To Avoid During Covid-19 Lockdown by Offpoint1: 9:37am On Oct 05, 2020
doggedfighter:

Thanks once again.

Where do I start as a beginner? I will focus my answers on the believe "you'll be self training"

First: PASSION, make sure you're 'Passion-Driven' and not 'Money-Driven'

Steps to take: Don't dive into learning the tools first, first learn the vitals being the theory; although you can learn them simultaneously theory and tool.
In order not to confuse you, let me just give you the basics things to start with:
*Color
*Typography
*Contrast
The first two is vast and very, very vital. If you don't master them, there will be problems.

CREATIVITY: creativity is the KEY in designs, without it you'll be frustrated yourself when your design is not meeting up to your expectations. (Pro designers are creative, greatest designers are THIEVESgrin) don't worry about that statement few will understand.

TOOL A.K.A SOFTWARES: Decide on which tool you want to start your graphics journey with and MASTER IT. Don't jump from one tool to another, make sure you've mastered one before jumping.
Niche plays a great role on deciding which tool to finally settle with.

3rdly: Follow up professional designers, study and learn from their designs. Engaged them if possible.

HOW DO I MAKE IT AN INTERESTING JOURNEY See it as an hobby, because it'll become your hobby.
See your tools as your baby, husband, girlfriend and boyfriend... Believe me you'll spend more time with it THAN with them -FACT.
Create a self project for yourself: new designers always make the mistakes of trying to make money first after learning design for few months. Most of them always give this line *if I don't collect job how will I have portfolio? and improve myself " you don't wanna ruin your future chances with bad clients designs. Some might pay you for your efforts, believe me... They won't dare reach out to you ever again or refer you to anyone.

Come up with personal logo, flyers or whatever projects with imaginary contents, do it passionately like there's a client out there you want to impress. Share with other designers for critique and learn from the criticism. Once you achieve desired results, make that design part of your portfolio.
Do this consistently and see the fun and improvements skyrocket.

HOW LONG CAN ONE "LEARN" COREL DRAW, PHOTOSHOP OR ILLUSTRATOR my answer is FOREVER. As long as you're a designer, you'll always keep learning and discovering new things. You can only MASTER those things you know about the software, but you CAN'T GRADUATEgrin that's from my experienced.

I don't give time frame on when one is supposed to master what they learn because our learning abilities differs.

I like to stop here, ignore typos please... I no proofread.

(1) (Reply)

Logo Design / NEE HELP IN CGI. / The Poll Magazine!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.