Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo (37634 Views)

Charles Soludo Wins APGA governorship Primaries / Buhari Appointment Of Charles Soludo Makes Me Believe He Means Well For Nigeria / Buhari Constitutes Economic Team: Charles Soludo, Others Get New Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 24, 2020
Tango123 I hope you didn't miss this thread. cheesy grin
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Stillthebest: 10:11am On Apr 24, 2020
kiss

His solutions are standard but Nigerians(especially) cant practise all these successfully.

They would forget to wash hands or get tired doing it.

Transport vehicles owners will fail to sanitise their vehicles. Passengers would have to be two or one in a role that would escalate the fares highly uncontrollably which Nigerians will complain of and can't afford (except Govts would make use only of their Govt commercials or pay for peoples fares for the period. Failure to do this will lead to a quick spread.

What about Market place. Nigeria is a place where people don't go to the hospitals at sight of mild symptoms until it is causing for alarms. Such people will visit market place where social distance can never be practised.

And so much alot more.

Right now, lockdown is the best practice but like Soludo has said, it is too expensive for Africa to practise and not working effectively or our leaders are not caring to that extent. If Nigerians are given stimulus support like the western world, Nigerians would observe the lockdown better than the foreign lands.

What I can say is that let us intensify on testing promptly and yet try what soludo as said while we(Govt) sensitise the public constantly.

Hopefully we will be fine but to Hope no serious casualties during this world war 3 that comes in centuries!

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Fulcrum15: 10:17am On Apr 24, 2020
sapientia:
So soludo said we shouldn't have locked down.

We should have allowed people to be spreading it abi.

Imagine no lockdown and no testing.

He should get realistic abeg.
Its clear you didn't read the article.

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolotar: 10:17am On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
solmus:

grin grin I abuse all of her olodo professor and sugar daddies .. the thing pain am she one cry grin grin grin

tell your Sugar Daddy Lecturers and Professor to come up with corona vaccine or cure and stop writing long essay

Nonsense!!
[/s]

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by AreaFada2: 10:19am On Apr 24, 2020
Only 2% have 500k or more bank balance. 8% had 300k or more in 2007. This is serious. shocked

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by WHAT999(m): 10:24am On Apr 24, 2020
God bless you, Prof. Charles Soludo. May God also bequeath me with wisdom such as this and more.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolotar: 10:26am On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
solmus:

sure atleast before being available on shelves at the pharmacy after clinical trial, but then they aint doing nothing as per research
[/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by MT: 10:32am On Apr 24, 2020
The FG needs, as a matter of urgency, constitute Eggheads that will build the framework which will confront this new normal facing us. Soludo, Sanusi, Okonjo Iweala will be on the top of the log for me. We have intellectually sound people which our environment has adjusted to stifle . Sad....so sad.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by davidwemby: 10:34am On Apr 24, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
This is the best i have read so far concerning covid-19 and the lockdown. I hope others can read with open minds.

Very brilliant piece.. I still can’t believe I patiently read to the very end..

Sadly, I am in a country where the policy makers (though brilliant, some..) are inept & sometimes decide to be intellectually lazy..
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by 4gunners(m): 10:39am On Apr 24, 2020
lastempero:
When i see write ups where they admonish african leaders to think out of the box and improve on their governance, i just laugh and move forward.
Why? Our Buhari is championing the fight in West Africa.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by liverpool72(m): 10:39am On Apr 24, 2020
Buhari doesn't even though what it takes for effective locked down. His own na lock everywhere, mumu Afonjas President.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolotar: 10:40am On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
solmus:

see them defending their olodo theory professors .. maybe them done carry this one go Unilag Cold room for extra evening lectures sef
[/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by InvertedHammer: 10:40am On Apr 24, 2020
/
Why can't they put Nigeria up for sale make some of us come price am?

\
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolotar: 10:40am On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
solmus:

that's right then shut the fvck up and let people like us talk
[/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by wolfenstein(m): 10:40am On Apr 24, 2020
sapientia:
So soludo said we shouldn't have locked down.

We should have allowed people to be spreading it abi.

Imagine no lockdown and no testing.

He should get realistic abeg.
Oga if you read the post well he didn't say lockdown isn't good, but since we have tried the lockdown and it's not working for us, then let's try another approach. His words:

Let us be clear: No one can blame African policymakers for the initial panicky copy and paste response some weeks ago. No public officer wanted to be blamed for doing nothing or not doing what others were doing. After these initial pilot schemes, it is now time to ask the deep question: Is this the right approach for Africa?

We call for Africa to press the reset button now, mainstream its collective, simple, smart learning-by-doing solutions that could, in the end, be the African solutions for export to the world

Bro what annoys me is that Africans aren't trying to even research their own solution or cure of the virus, Na copy and paste we dey do, we just waiting for a solution from the whites. Meaning if anything comes out and they tell us it's a cure, we will embrace it well
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by ofiko123(m): 10:42am On Apr 24, 2020
Africa cannot afford the lockdown at all, it will adversely affect the growing economies of most African nations..
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolotar: 10:42am On Apr 24, 2020
[s][quote author=solmus post=88793747][/quote][/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by pesty100(m): 10:43am On Apr 24, 2020
DEADALIVE:

Kindly give your assertions and solution that will be grossly adopted....this is not an easy situation for any of us.
that's the point, the situation is not an easy one. I don't know any solution to this problem but saying we should reopen the country and put the lives of millions at risk with our inadequate health establishments is a bad solution

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Felincous(m): 10:50am On Apr 24, 2020
So with all u wrote u have not profer any solution. We need solution not the problems we already know sir.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by BigBee78: 10:51am On Apr 24, 2020
Good piece by the erudite Prof. Charles Soludo..

But we need more practical, creative solutions borne out of proactive thinking outside the proverbial box in my honest opinion!

Africa, and Nigeria by extension, needs to adopt workable answers to fight this evil pandemic China bequeathed the WHOLE WORLD intoto!

MAY GOD EPP US ALL AMEN!!!

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 24, 2020
The way to look at it is : extended lockdown kills us economically. We will not survive that meaning lots if people will still die as a result. Keeping the lockdown will be until when exactly? Hunger and poverty will bring people out of their houses cuz they will be dead either way and no one can just sit and die when they can do something about the hunger at least. Get the economy back online first. A sick and hungry population will trigger some other pandemics like cholera. Ulcers will be widespread also. So unlike you, except you are ready to feed millions of people, do not advocate for continued lockdown. Better the country reopens and at least have something to gain than a lockdown that is a loose loose situation all round.

pesty100:
that's the point, the situation is not an easy one. I don't know any solution to this problem but saying we should reopen the country and put the lives of millions at risk with our inadequate health establishments is a bad solution

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by codedguy1(m): 11:01am On Apr 24, 2020
joyandfaith:
Soludo has provided best solution.

Will the dullard and his band of merry clowns understand anything in that piece.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Angelfrost(m): 11:03am On Apr 24, 2020
Vulcan24:

lots of ppl are against lockdown .... but where ideas lack, the fools thrives

True... Only few can actually proffer better alternatives.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by babyfaceafrica: 11:03am On Apr 24, 2020
pesty100:

No solution is good or bad.... What we have is a necessary solution... Ghana has reopened.. Sweden didn't even lockdown shishi... SA is reopening may 1st....evry country is doing what is necessary.. But what are we doing in nígeria... Copy and paste.. So shameful
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by pesty100(m): 11:06am On Apr 24, 2020
georgeiyke009:
The way to look at it is : extended lockdown kills us economically. We will not survive that meaning lots if people will still die as a result. Keeping the lockdown will be until when exactly? Hunger and poverty will bring people out of their houses cuz they will be dead either way and no one can just sit and die when they can do something about the hunger at least. Get the economy back online first. A sick and hungry population will trigger some other pandemics like cholera. Ulcers will be widespread also. So unlike you, except you are ready to feed millions of people, do not advocate for continued lockdown. Better the country reopens and at least have something to gain than a lockdown that is a loose loose situation all round.

expect you are ready to bury millions of people (that if you are still alive yourself) you should stop advocating against lockdown. When thousands of people start to die on a daily basis in Nigeria i would hope you would be well fed

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by pesty100(m): 11:07am On Apr 24, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

No solution is good or bad.... What we have is a necessary solution... Ghana has reopened.. Sweden didn't even lockdown shishi... SA is reopening may 1st....evry country is doing what is necessary.. But what are we doing in nígeria... Copy and paste.. So shameful
what should we be doing? Or should we copy Ghana?
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 24, 2020
I can't believe I read all.

Nice write-up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari Hands Over To Osinbajo As He Travels Out / Profile Of Rear Admiral Emmanuel Ikechukwu Ogalla, Chief Of Naval Staff / See Moment Obasanjo Arrived And Spoke At The PDP Rally In Ogun (VIDEO/PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.