Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? (736 Views)

Are These Things Really True Or Superstitious Beliefs ? / 10 Funny Superstitious Beliefs Every Nigerian Has Heard / Beliefs And Taboos In Ancient Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DanseMacabre(m): 12:22pm On Apr 24, 2020
Superstition plays a huge role in our lives as Africans. Of course non-Africans have these beliefs as well, but for most Europeans and Americans, these beliefs are merely ceremonial - such as keeping a rabbit's paw for good luck, not walking underneath a ladder, or refusing to strike three matchsticks in succession.

As Africans however, superstition is part of our culture and sometimes it determines how one lives one's life, sometimes even influencing one's
action or reaction to given situations.

I'm from the Southeast, and here are a few superstitions associated with my culture:

1. To hit the left foot on a stone or any object signifies bad luck, while the right signifies goodluck.

2. It is taboo to call a snake by that appellation after nightfall. You rather say 'rope'. My mom, a bona fide born-again Christian, is guilty of this. grin

3. It is believed that whistling after dark attracts spirits.

So in a nutshell, what are the superstitions associated with your culture?
Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DabuIIIT: 12:26pm On Apr 24, 2020
Wey popcorn abeg...
Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by JasonJidenna(m): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2020
Had this superstitious believe as a teenager then and it almost landed me into trouble.

My friends told me that if I go to the market and place my head in-between my legs, I will see different spirts walking.

So I went to Ekpan market to experience it first hand, I got there and quickly place my big head in-between my legs,

Lo and behold, I saw NOTHING... I continued, hoping to see spirits but I was brought back to reality with some harsh words by those meat sellers...

"Dis small boy don kolo oh, who do am?"

Another one said, "Na idiot wen dey try peep woman pant"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DanseMacabre(m): 1:02pm On Apr 24, 2020
DabuIIIT:
Wey popcorn abeg...

Here you go bro...

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by Firstnebo: 1:12pm On Apr 24, 2020
I do not have any superstitious beliefs. I try to find the core meaning behind some superstitions around me.

For example (1) In a book of collected poems, I read a superstition that says it's a taboo to sleep with your legs towards the door. After sometimes I discovered the core meaning why the superstition was developed.

If you lie with your head towards the door, it becomes easier for you to stand up and charge against any danger coming through the door than it would be for you if you slept with your legs towards the door.

(2) Also I know a village that doesn't kill or eat fishes in a particular stream. They eat fishes in other streams in the village but never in that particular stream.

They say if you eat the fish the goddess of the stream will visit you with sickness or death. After checking for sometime I discovered the reason behind the superstition.

That stream is the one closest to home. It's their major source of domestic water use, including cooking and drinking. So they developed the superstition to keep people from dirtying the stream and therefore keep it clean for continued domestic use.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:18pm On Apr 24, 2020
JasonJidenna:
Had this superstitious believe as a teenager then and it almost landed me into trouble.

My friends told me that if I go to the market and place my head in-between my legs, I will see different spirts walking.

So I went to Ekpan market to experience it first hand, I got there and quickly place my big head in-between my legs,

Lo and behold, I saw NOTHING... I continued, hoping to see spirits but I was brought back to reality with some harsh words by those meat sellers...

"Dis small boy don kolo oh, who do am?"

Another one said, "Na idiot wen dey try peep woman pant"

Lol that's true! Omo, till I never fit gather liver do this one o.
Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:23pm On Apr 24, 2020
Firstnebo:
I do not have any superstitious beliefs. I try to find the core meaning behind some superstitions around me.

For example (1) In a book of collected poems, I read a superstition that says it's a taboo to sleep with your legs towards the door. After sometimes I discovered the core meaning why the superstition was developed.

If you lie with your head towards the door, it becomes easier for you to stand up and charge against any danger coming through the door than it would be for you if you slept with your legs towards the door.

(2) Also I know a village that doesn't kill or eat fishes in a particular stream. They eat fishes in other streams in the village but never in that particular stream.

They say if you eat the fish the goddess of the stream will visit you with sickness or death. After checking for sometime I discovered the reason behind the superstition.

That stream is the one closest to home. It's their major source of domestic water use, including cooking and drinking. So they developed the superstition to keep people from dirtying the stream and therefore keep it clean for continued domestic use.

Number 1, I admit, this is a first time of hearing this one. Your explanation seems quite logical.

Number 2 is a bit common in riverine areas.

And yes, some of these superstitions and 'myths' have quite rational origins. I too am curious about myths and cultures. So much so that from one's tribal name, I can hazard a guess as to your ethnicity. I've become quite proficient at it.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by JasonJidenna(m): 2:26pm On Apr 24, 2020
DanseMacabre:

Lol that's true! Omo, till I never fit gather liver do this one o.
It's just one of those silly superstitious beliefs spread by one snuff taking old man.
Re: What Are Your Superstitious Beliefs? by DanseMacabre(m): 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2020
JasonJidenna:
It's just one of those silly superstitious beliefs spread by one snuff taking old man.

grin grin maybe one day I'll give someone money to try it in my presence. Some of these things are quite difficult to suppress though.

(1) (Reply)

Cultural Difference Between China And Nigeria / The Science Behind Cannabis And Creativity / BREAKING: Oluwo unveils new wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.