Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,729 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health (895 Views)

5 Dangerous Pregnancy Complications That Can Destroy Your Home / Dangerous Habits That Can Damage Your Liver / Eight Habits That Fuel Impotence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 3:03am On Apr 25, 2020
7 BAD HABITS THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR HEALTH

Most people know that smoking is bad for your health and eating too much processed food can sabotage your health, there are also many other bad habits that can slowly damage your health and wellbeing.
Some of these bad habits are already part of your regular routine that is repeated regularly and tends to occur subconsciously. You might not notice any harmful effects right away, but with time they can take serious toll on your health and psychological wellness.
See if you are guilty of any of them.

1. Holding Your Urine

This habit is one of the most practiced, sometime you can be in a traffic jam, or even in an important meeting so holding your urine is sometimes necessary.

While it is safe to hold your urine for a few minutes till you get to the bathroom, it is not quite advisable to hold your urine for a long time because it increases your risk of; Kidney Disorder, Neurogenic Bladder, Enlarged Prostate and Urinary Retention.
Pregnant women are already at high risk of Urinary tract infection (UTI), so holding your urine as a pregnant woman can further increase this risk.

1 Share

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 3:05am On Apr 25, 2020
2. Stopping Yourself from Sneezing

Do you know when you stop yourself from sneezing the flow of blood to your brains is disrupted, and your blood vessels and nervous tissue are compressed. This can lead to headaches, damage to vessels, and even hearing problems.

You can completely avoid it if you let the sneeze out, just be sure to sneeze into a tissue or your elbow (for everyone’s sake).
Never stop yourself from sneezing.

3. Staying up Late at Night/Skipping Sleep

When you sleep is almost as important as how much you sleep, staying up late at night can deteriorate your concentration, attention, alertness, reasoning and problem solving skills, which makes it more difficult to learn efficiently.

While some have make it a habit of depriving their body of sleep at night, numerous sleep circles play a role in “consolidating” memories in your mind, so if you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to remember what you have learned and experience during the day.

Sleep disorders and chronic sleep loss can put you at risk of;

Stroke
Heart Attack and Disease
Heart Failure
Irregular Heartbeat
Diabetes

Getting an adequate amount of sleep can improve your life in many ways, too, it can make you more productive, better-equipped for creative thinking, and problem solving, and just more focused in general.
So if you have a habit of skipping sleep, it’s time to give up the habit.

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 3:08am On Apr 25, 2020
4. Using a Smartphone Before Going to Bed

For most people using their phone before going to bed has become a habit, it might seem like the perfect opportunity to surf their social media, play a little game or even read the news.

Studies has shown that constant exposure to artificial light emitting from your smartphone, tablet, personal computers or any other LED devices at night can damage your retinas which can lead to macular degeneration, a condition that can lead to loss of central vision.

Also the artificial light emitting from your devices can suppresses the production of the hormone melatonin that regulates sleep and wakefulness. Not only can this lead to sleepless night it can also result in depression, obesity cancer, heart diseases and fragile immune system.

Thus, using your smartphone at night is not worth the consequences.

5. Skipping Breakfast

If you’re occasionally busy for breakfast or probably you aren’t hungry, that’s OK, but it’s important not to get into the habit of frequently skipping breakfast.

Skipping breakfast regularly can have many negative impact on your health. In the morning energy stores are depleted by as much as 80% from the night before, without breakfast your body begins to conserve energy and burn fewer calories, which can make you feel sluggish.

Taking your breakfast also maintains blood sugar and regulates the release of cortisol. This can even help you to feel less stressed, and better overall. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so have breakfast, have lunch, and grab dinner.

1 Like

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 3:11am On Apr 25, 2020
6. Eating When You Are Not Hungry

Eating is not bad, eating helps us to stay fit and energized, but making it a habit of eating when you’re not actually hungry or overdoing it at social events are just a few reasons you might eat more than you need.

Eating too much can cause a spike in your blood sugar levels because your body begins to overcompensate and produce more insulin than usual to keep blood sugar levels at a heathy pace. This can result to headaches, increased thirst, fatigue or lethargy.

Consuming too much calories may cause you to become overweight. Excess weight can lead to variety of health issues such as;

High blood pressure
Strokes
Osteoarthritis
Type 2 diabetes
Kidney disease
Sleep apnea

In maintaining a healthy weight, it’s important to use food to energized your body, rather than using it as a form of stress revival.
You can engage in leisure activities like; yoga, meditation, literatures to cope with the urge of engaging food as an escape pod.
Daily exercising and reducing your caloric consumption could help you live a longer and healthier life.

7. Social Media

You might enjoy scrolling through Facebook, checking out the trends on twitter or browsing Pinterest, which is not bad, but spending too much time on social media may be detrimental to your mental health.

Michigan State University study from 2016 — 2017 found out that people who are core social media users (a platform that's meant to bring people together) can experience serious psychological distress like depression, anxiety and feelings of isolation.

Making a habit of circling your life around social media can lead to the feeling of isolation. Most people think social media will help them feel better, so they keep going back for more, in reality, researchers have found time spent on social media decreases people’s moods and make them feel inferior in real life challenges.

It is better off investing your time and energy in real life social interaction which can greatly improve your well-being, instead of spending hours scrolling through social media.

Source: https://www.buddiescent.com/2020/04/7-bad-habits-that-can-destroy-your.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by Kyllahmc(m): 3:26am On Apr 25, 2020
Educative!

I would like to add one.

jerking off with saliva is harmful and can lead to infections! especially if your immune system is down! the mouth contains alot of bacteria that can be orally safe but harmful when it finds its way to your pee hole!
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by bigiyaro(m): 3:36am On Apr 25, 2020
quiet educative but skipping breakfast or that breakfast is the most important meal is a myth.
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by illicit(m): 3:53am On Apr 25, 2020
what of Lying..... it's is an habit for people like Lai and it is. detrimental to the well-being of all Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora

1 Like

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by Yustash001(m): 5:28am On Apr 25, 2020
Thank you OP

That number 1 made me remember my childhood days

When you'll be dreaming of playing football on the field and you just went to the side of the field to urinate....

Before you know you are already in the pool of urine...
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by Bestinstinct(m): 5:43am On Apr 25, 2020
Still cant figure out how people sleep all night. Anyway, thanks OP for sharing.
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by Greatzeus(m): 8:42am On Apr 25, 2020
I do 3,4 and 5. And nothing anyone says will change it. I sleep very late especially on fridays and Saturdays. But since lockdown it's now daily. I sleep around 1am to 3am.
I skip breakfast a lot. I am single and gainfully employed. I have never touched a match stick before going to work in the last 5 years. I don't eat at any canteen I see. My stomach is very sensitive. So sometimes if I am away from canteens I trust,I won't eat breakfast.
The last thing I touch before I go to bed are my phone or remote. Bite me grin
Despite these I am as healthy as a horse.
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 6:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
bigiyaro:
quiet educative but skipping breakfast or that breakfast is the most important meal is a myth.

Making it a habit is not good
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2020
Greatzeus:
I do 3,4 and 5. And nothing anyone says will change it. I sleep very late especially on fridays and Saturdays. But since lockdown it's now daily. I sleep around 1am to 3am.
I skip breakfast a lot. I am single and gainfully employed. I have never touched a match stick before going to work in the last 5 years. I don't eat at any canteen I see. My stomach is very sensitive. So sometimes if I am away from canteens I trust,I won't eat breakfast.
The last thing I touch before I go to bed are my phone or remote. Bite me grin
Despite these I am as healthy as a horse.

bro you might not see the side effect now, but in the long run it might start showing off
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2020
Bestinstinct:
Still cant figure out how people sleep all night. Anyway, thanks OP for sharing.
sleep is good and you welcome
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 7:00pm On Apr 25, 2020
Yustash001:
Thank you OP

That number 1 made me remember my childhood days

When you'll be dreaming of playing football on the field and you just when to the side of the field to urinate....

Before you know you are already in the pool of urine...

� � everybody is guilty of number one
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 7:02pm On Apr 25, 2020
illicit:
what of Lying..... it's is an habit for people like Lai and it is. detrimental to the well-being of all Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora

No habit is even worst than that one self, especially some people that has turn it to their Job and Hobby

1 Like

Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by bigiyaro(m): 12:58pm On Apr 26, 2020
chibestjerry:

Making it a habit is not good
hunger is psychological, humans can survive without food for up 25-30 days... learn the act of tricking your brain to forget breakfasts and you are good to go.
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by PureGoldh(m): 11:42pm On May 01, 2020
Nice tips....kudos to the OP
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 1:11am On May 02, 2020
PureGoldh:
Nice tips....kudos to the OP
Thank you and welcome
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by NaijaRoyalty(m): 4:40am On May 02, 2020
Something must kill a man
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 4:55pm On May 02, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Yes man must die, but Atleast make e no be available premature death
Re: 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Health by chibestjerry(m): 4:55pm On May 02, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Yes man must die, but Atleast make e no be avoidable premature death

(1) (Reply)

Ill Health / Health / Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.