Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,988 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 (1084328 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (721) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Nadheer15: 11:07pm On May 31, 2020
Skymoore1004:
Where’s the progression exactly?
Why go for Biomedical Engineering when you want to “deal with manufacturing of medical equipment”, when you can just study Advanced Manufacturing?

Sorry I’m just confused but maybe the university will understand better
LagosismyHome:

This should not be your prayer or aspiration ........... why spend more money on another MSC. . Hopefully after Biomedical Engineering , doors should open for a job in your related field and then you grow from there

To prove progression - you need to show that the new degree is at a higher level than the previous ......... making MSC to MSC hard to convince that there is a progression
Chai, I'm now superconfused ngl, with this the only progression would have to be in PhD. Now my dilemma is whether to change my course to Msc Advanced Manufacturing and then proceed for PhD Biomedical Engineering afterwards.

Wheeeww
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Skymoore1004: 11:22pm On May 31, 2020
I find it funny when people say “proceed to Phd”. You think phd is beans? Plus phd in the U.K. is not free or easily funded (except Dangote is your father). You have to having an excellent proposal etc before you even think of applying for scholarship.

Just choose the Msc that is more beneficial to you & you have more passion for. There’s no need of spending money on two Msc, when you can do one and explore various opportunities.

All The Best as your decide
Nadheer15:

Chai, I'm now superconfused ngl, with this the only progression would have to be in PhD. Now my dilemma is whether to change my course to Msc Advanced Manufacturing and then proceed for PhD Biomedical Engineering afterwards.

Wheeeww

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 11:39pm On May 31, 2020
Not in all cases. According to UKVI, there may be exceptional cases for studying at the same level. In this case, Biomedical Engineering to Advanced Manufacturing may be possible as long as he provides a strong justification.

LagosismyHome:

This should not be your prayer or aspiration ........... why spend more money on another MSC. . Hopefully after Biomedical Engineering , doors should open for a job in your related field and then you grow from there

To prove progression - you need to show that the new degree is at a higher level than the previous ......... making MSC to MSC hard to convince that there is a progression
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by SegunWamiri(m): 11:47pm On May 31, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Did you get your tax back because calculation turned out you were taxed over personal allowance or you got your tax back even on amount over the personal allowance

Got mine back too grin in 2013. Over taxed within personal allowance though

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by STENON(f): 5:55am On Jun 01, 2020
LaaJiblik:

My understanding was that with a 1250L tax code, your tax-free amount is £12,500 per annum.

If you are taxed and at the end of March 31, your total earning is equal to, or less than £12,500 for that fiscal year, all the tax you have paid is refunded.

If however, you have earned above £12,500 that year, ANY earning above that is Taxed.

@ Justwise:
Are you saying that during your student time, you earned above the ‘tax-free’ amount (as per your tax code), and you got a refund?
I really really doubt. If you got any refund, it would be what was deducted prior to the ‘tax-free’ amount. But every single penny after that threshold is taxed. Student or not. That is my understanding, that is what I have been told. By the taxman.

@STENON
Thanks alot for the clarification. I don't really know much about this tax of a thing. From the document, I have been taxed before reaching that Personal allowance with the last employer and no refund was made.

Now that I am above the threshold of 1250L taxcode still working 20 hours as it was written on my new employment contract too. The P60 shows zero pound was paid as income tax, and some amount were paid for NI.
HMRC letter threw we off balanced as they said they will start the deduction from my salary as from April.
I plan to phone the taxman to hear his view and I have also contacted my school international office to know what to do .
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by faks10: 10:32am On Jun 01, 2020
Good morning all,
please can any Govt. Marriage Certificate be tendered for a dependant visa? (i mean one obtained from local govt. registry) or it has to be from a National Registry like Ikoyi (for those in Lagos)?
Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by arhyur(f): 11:25am On Jun 01, 2020
Hi guys, please has anyone studied and lived in chester? Someone told me that there are not enough jobs in Chester and that it’s a quiet place. She further advised me to pick another school as my husband may likely to go out of town to work which may cost more cost transport and all
I would like to know if there are plenty jobs and how life is in general thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by pretty1986: 2:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
justwise:
Part 4 is here please continue posting your questions/inquires here,

See part 3 here for references https://www.nairaland.com/2575449/uk-student-visa-tier-4

Documents needed for tier 4 visa application

1. CAS

2. Documents listed in your CAS

3. TB test result

4. School fees + maintenance money

(a) £1,265 per month for living costs if you are studying in inner London for the majority of your study (more than 50% of your study time)

(b) £1,015 per month for living costs if you are studying in outer London or anywhere else in the UK, for the majority of your study (more than 50% of your study time)

The money should be kept in your account for 28days weekends included (school fees + maintenance money) ending no more than
31 days before your application.

5. Add your birth certificate if using parents bank statement.

Only your father/mother or legal guidance can sponsor you

For more update info visit this website https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/623341/T4_Migrant_Guidance_29_June_2017.pdf
.Good afternoon Justwise and other gurus in the house I greet u all and Happy new Month. pls I want to go through the website of UK visa Application Centre in Nigeria,so pls can someone show me their active website?. thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mobilipia(f): 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2020
pretty1986:
.Good afternoon Justwise and other gurus in the house I greet u all and Happy new Month. pls I want to go through the website of UK visa Application Centre in Nigeria,so pls can someone show me their active website?. thanks
just Google tls contact Nigeria
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by gsk4reality: 5:57pm On Jun 01, 2020
hosey:

You couldn't have said it better.

They are just using we immigrants to take care of their people.

It is not their fault sha. Even in COVID, immigrants and students ineligible for furlough are not even given any benefit. Most people are not furloughed.

what does it mean to be furloughed?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
Being put on leave to avoid being made redundant as a result of economic conditions.
Currently in the UK, people who have being furloughed have up to 80% of the take home borne by the government through their employers.
gsk4reality:

what does it mean to be furloughed?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 6:47pm On Jun 01, 2020
Pls use the certificate from Ikoyi if you can. My reason for this is that

1. Most people use the Ikoyi certificate so there's a probability that the ECO treating an application might think the LG certificate is a fake document due to a difference in the template for both.

2. There was a situation a few years ago about LG marriage certificates not being the same as the one issued by the FG registry and even though marriages conducted at the time weren't nullified, people who had married and gotten their marriage certificates from LGs had to go through the extra stress of getting the FG certificates.

3. The Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate was declared null and void at the time because it wasn't in compliance with approved FG marriage certificate template. I'm not sure if the template has been rectified now though.

If I get a link for the court proceedings, I'd update this comment with it later.

faks10:
Good morning all,
please can any Govt. Marriage Certificate be tendered for a dependant visa? (i mean one obtained from local govt. registry) or it has to be from a National Registry like Ikoyi (for those in Lagos)?
Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 7:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
There must have been a mixup from your employer somewhere . My tax code was 1250L and I never paid income tax while working as a student; I worked almost all through my program and earned below the taxable income threshold. Only about £61 was deducted for NI for the tax year.

STENON:
I am more confused with this. My tax code is 1250L, it was generated when I was working at carehome. But now earning more than that from my teaching job. But its 20 hours and I am on student visa from Nigeria. I checked and Nigeria is also on that list you sent here.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by gracechellar(f): 7:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nadheer15:
In my case, I think it's kinda of progression. In my case I'm going for Biomedical Engineering, after which I'll proceed to Advanced Manufacturing. This is because I wanna to deal with manufacturing of medical equipment on a large scale
As long as you can defend it tho. Ots not to the school but to the embassy
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
faks10:
Good morning all,
Thanks

Actually, my wife did not even use any govt. marriage certificate from National Registry like Ikoyi and did not use any local govt. registry. So you do not necessarily need to have all these.

If you are a muslim and you did a Islamic marriage certified by a registered mosque association or islamic registered body, you will be given Islamic Marriage Certificate. Then next step is to go to any head High Court to do a sworn affidavit in lieu of marriage stating the affidavit is needed in lieu of marriage certificate for record and official purposes and the marriage was performed under Islamic law. Most of High Court have the format. That is what my wife used. You must be a Muslim.

Meanwhile, apart from marriage certificate, there are many other vital things you need such as whatsapp and communication evidence, self subsisting evidence, pictures, living together and many more. Most people who dont get visa only focus on marriage certificate and leave out other parts. Google Tier 4 dependant visa for more info.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by LaaJiblik: 7:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
mimilyrics:

1. Most people use the Ikoyi certificate so there's a probability that the ECO treating an application might think the LG certificate is a fake document due to a difference in the template for both.

2. There was a situation a few years ago about LG marriage certificates not being the same as the one issued by the FG registry and even though marriages conducted at the time weren't nullified, people who had married and gotten their marriage certificates from LGs had to go through the extra stress of getting the FG certificates.

3. The Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate was declared null and void at the time because it wasn't in compliance with approved FG marriage certificate template. I'm not sure if the template has been rectified now though.

If I get a link for the court proceedings, I'd update this comment with it later.

I know not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 .... more than 12 persons who have NEVER been to ‘Ikoyi’.
Submitted marriage registry certificate from LGC (some added the mosque or Church certificate).
Not a single one of them was denied based on that.

3 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by aivewobhor: 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
PLease house I need ur help for those that have had interview with university of Chester for msc nursing. I just received a mail stating a need to do an interview and also pls how do I go about portfolio document. What should I fill in . Please ur help a brother
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 7:59pm On Jun 01, 2020
Pls read my comment again. Did you notice that I said most people? I never said everyone. Also the poster asked about using either the LG or FG marriage certificate and not about mosque or church certificate.
I'm aware that religious organisations with a valid license issue the marriage certificate in the FG format.
My comment was based on the poster's question and issues around the LG marriage certificate few years ago and not based on my assumptions of what the poster's personal situation is.

LaaJiblik:

I know not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 .... more than 12 persons who have NEVER been to ‘Ikoyi’.
Submitted marriage registry certificate from LGC (some added the mosque or Church certificate).
Not a single one of them was denied based on that.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Oggg: 8:00pm On Jun 01, 2020
mimilyrics:

FALSE INFORMATION!!!
The UK EMBASSY RECOGNIZES ALL REGISTRIES IN NIGERIA UPTIL THIS MOMENT.. I and all my family members uptil Feb 2020 that got visas... pls nobody that has presented local govt marriage registration certificate has been denied due to the above u stated.... stop abeg
FG is politicking the matter yes, but no marriage registry in nigeria is superior to the other for visa issuance.. stop

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 8:07pm On Jun 01, 2020
Calm down and read my comment again.
I never said that LG marriages arent recognised. There were issues surrounding LG marriage certificates few years ago because the LG certificate template wasn't the approved one and those who used it had to get their marriage validated outside of the certificates that they were issued.
If you read the last part of my comment, you'd see that I stated that I wasn't sure if the issue with the template was already rectified.

Oggg:

FALSE INFORMATION!!!
The UK EMBASSY RECOGNIZES ALL REGISTRIES IN NIGERIA UPTIL THIS MOMENT.. I and all my family members uptil Feb 2020 that got visas... pls nobody that has presented local govt marriage registration certificate has been denied due to the above u stated.... stop abeg

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by justwise(m): 8:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
STENON:
Thanks alot for the clarification. I don't really know much about this tax of a thing. From the document, I have been taxed before reaching that Personal allowance with the last employer and no refund was made.

Now that I am above the threshold of 1250L taxcode still working 20 hours as it was written on my new employment contract too. The P60 shows zero pound was paid as income tax, and some amount were paid for NI.
HMRC letter threw we off balanced as they said they will start the deduction from my salary as from April.
I plan to phone the taxman to hear his view and I have also contacted my school international office to know what to do .

How did this go? Were you able to get through to them?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Oggg: 8:10pm On Jun 01, 2020
mimilyrics:
Calm down and read my comment again.
I never said that LG marriages arent recognised. There were issues surrounding LG marriage certificates few years ago because the LG certificate template wasn't the approved one and those who used it had to get their marriage validated outside of the certificates that they were issued.
If you read the last part of my comment, you'd see that I stated that I wasn't sure if the issue with the template was already rectified.
U said most people use Ikoyi certificate and were insinuating that LG certificates were appearing fake. If i was the one tht asked the question and read ur reply, I would start scampering about looking for how to by force wed in Ikoyi court... ur answers stem to saying as if only Ikoyi is recognized in Nigeria... as per Alpha Nd Omega of marriage licence court and that is false false false.. false and false again
The British Embassy accepts alll....

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 8:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
I never said that Ikoyi was the alpha and omega. Notice that I said he should use Ikoyi "if you can" (implying that other sources are available if the poster can't).
"Most people" (I never said "all" or "everyone" ) whose cases I'm privy to. This also implies that the others (who didn't submit an Ikoyi certificate) must have submitted another form of marriage certificate.

The part about the certificates appearing fake was due to the court case on the approved template which LGs weren't using at the time.
If you actually read my response and you felt that I thrashed LG certificates, then I really don't know what to say especially since I explained the premise of my advice and also stated that I wasn't sure if the template issue had been resolved.

Oggg:

U said most people use Ikoyi certificate and were insinuating that LG certificates were appearing fake. If i was the one tht asked the question and read ur reply, I would start scampering about looking for how to by force wed in Ikoyi court... ur answers stem to saying as if only Ikoyi is recognized in Nigeria... as per Alpha Nd Omega of marriage licence court and that is false false false.. false and false again

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by faks10: 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
Thanks to all for the clarification on which marriage certificate is acceptable.
Thanks @mimilyrics, Hosey, laajiblik, oggg....
I'm well informed now, thanks to you all.

7 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Jaguar22(m): 9:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
[b]
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by STENON(f): 9:11pm On Jun 01, 2020
justwise:

How did this go? Were you able to get through to them?
Thanks. My uni international office is yet to reply to my mail.
My employer replied this evening and said "You have been paying income tax accordingly, and that’s a matter that you will have to take up with HMRC with your payslips supporting your position"

I have asked 6 of my friends here too, all said no but just one mentioned that she is paying the income tax. I am waiting for the response back to my mail from my uni before calling the taxman. And the only thing I am considering is that I have actually earned more than the personal allowance limit so I don't know if truly I am to pay or not. A call to taxman will sort things out soon. Thanks alot for your concern.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mindlog: 6:47am On Jun 02, 2020
arhyur:
Hi guys, please has anyone studied and lived in chester? Someone told me that there are not enough jobs in Chester and that it’s a quiet place. She further advised me to pick another school as my husband may likely to go out of town to work which may cost more cost transport and all
I would like to know if there are plenty jobs and how life is in general thanks

University of Chester is one of the schools I got offers from (Family and Child Psychology) though not yet decided till July as the program starts in October. It may be a quiet place but personally, it will suit me.

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:53am On Jun 02, 2020
STENON:
My employer replied this evening and said "You have been paying income tax accordingly, and that’s a matter that you will have to take up with HMRC with your payslips supporting your position"

I have asked 6 of my friends here too, all said no but just one mentioned that she is paying the income tax. I am waiting for the response back to my mail from my uni before calling the taxman. And the only thing I am considering is that I have actually earned more than the personal allowance limit so I don't know if truly I am to pay or not. A call to taxman will sort things out soon. Thanks alot for your concern.

Your employer is right ....I was reading something yesterday not related to you but about payrolling a new employee and it caught my eyes as there a line stating you payroll a student just as you do any other employee. Meaning it will be taken and any refund if at all will have to be done by HMRC.

Let me see if I can find the link
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by BouharryArtikou: 9:59am On Jun 02, 2020
justwise:

You don't pay but if your employer takes it from your pay you will get it back at the end of financial year.

YES, you pay
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by BouharryArtikou: 10:04am On Jun 02, 2020
justwise:

Student don't pay income tax, i have gotten my tax back more than 5times when i was a student

False.
Students pay income tax. Once you earn more than allowable personal income. Any extra shishi is taxed.

You got the refund either because you did not earn above the personal income allowance, or they made a mistake. I strongly believe it’s the former.

Again, students pay income tax.
There is NO WAY a student who earns or earned £21,000 per annum not pay tax. NO WAY.

4 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by BouharryArtikou: 10:07am On Jun 02, 2020
toyclicks:
Good Day everybody,

Pls can anyone do me the honor of itemizing all expenses that is involved in this study migration process(A-Z)

It seems I am beginning to discover new expenses involved.

I was reading somewhere that there is a TB test. I had even forgotten visa fee sef(my bad). I was all too focused on school fees, maintenance fees and travel ticket

Pls ooo, I need to avoid suprises

You should first of all itemise all the expenses you have made so far. Put the item. Then put the amount.
Then if you miss out on any, people can help.

The ball is in your court. You start.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by justwise(m): 10:21am On Jun 02, 2020
STENON:

Yes only HMRC will sort it out, even your university will not be able to help.

This is not your fault though, someone somewhere made a mistake, when you call them ask them how you can avoid this in future.

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (721)

General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.