Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,808 members, 7,806,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Dr. Maya - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Dr. Maya (895 Views)

Soldier Girl Chapter One : Written By Rihanne Maya / Beware of the Scammer Tommyikes, Maya, Fidelis or Ifeanyi(Patricia) Aganyi / Writer Maya Angelou Honoured In Google’s Doodle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Maya by EvaJael(f): 2:12pm On Apr 25, 2020
Good afternoon everyone.

The story is dedicated to all the health personnel that have lost their lives while trying to save the lives of others. The idea just popped into my head. I didn't expect it to come out this long anyway.
It's a short story. I'm going to post everything at once. There'll be no sequel or prequel. Enjoy the ride!
Re: Dr. Maya by EvaJael(f): 2:13pm On Apr 25, 2020
"Here, dad. Have some fresh orange juice." Luna offered.

"Thank you darling. Come sit with your old man." He patted the space beside him.

"You're not in the least bit old daddy" Luna smiled at him.

"But I am. I have a grown up daughter like you. Please allow me feel like an old father." He teased and they both laughed.

"You're looking at her pictures again, dad." She said as she made herself comfortable beside him.

"What can an old man do? Besides miss the woman he loved in his youth." He replied wistfully.

"You know I really wish you'd tell me more than bits and pieces, daddy. I'm almost 20 and I can't proudly tell anyone about my mum." She whined.

"Come here" He tugged her close and lay her head on his shoulder.
"I always just thought you'd be happier with bits and pieces. The whole story's a sad one but you're right. It's high time you knew about her."

"You know her name already and you know..."

"No daddy. Don't say it like that. Say it like one of those stories you would tell me when I was little. I miss them. Being grown up is stressful. I miss the old days, not the days when you were too busy at the hospital though." She raised her head momentarily, flashing him a smile.

Alex chuckled. "Alright, alright!"

"Maya. That was her name." He paused a while as he took in a deep breath, smiling at the memory of the petite beautiful woman who bore the name.

"Before I met her, I had never met anyone who bore the name. The only place I had seen it was in a novel. I can't particularly remember the name of that novel currently.
So, how'd I meet her? Or rather how'd I meet you both?

It was at a wedding. The wedding of my colleagues."

"The wedding reception to be specific. I went out of the hall to take a phone call and there she was pacing frantically.
I quickly finished my call and walked up to the frustrated teary woman. She had you in her arms and you were screaming at the top of your lungs, refusing to be consoled. I guess you've always been a trouble trouble human." He laughed, earning him a scowl from Luna.

"That's not nice daddy. I'm a gentle person and you know that"

"Of course you are, who can beat my baby in gentleness?" He smiled.

"Now, that's more like it." Contented, she repositioned her head on his shoulder.

"So, I walked up to her and tapped her. I got a glare in response. Your mother was one hell of a fiery woman." He chuckled again

"When she glared, I had a moment of 'who send me work?' but I shoved it aside and offered my best smile.She was clearly pissed because I got a 'Biko, what is it?'
I didn't let my smile waver. I just asked to help her carry the baby. She looked at me strangely and told me her baby didn't do well with strangers but I insisted and she let me carry you.
For the first few minutes, you just continued wailing and I began wondering why I didn't just mind my business instead of forming oversabi. I searched my brain for what to do and for a while, I could come up with nothing until I remembered one of the songs my nephew loved.The song I remembered was 'Oh! What a miracle'. I didn't know the words but I just hummed it and for some reason unknown to me you kept quiet to listen and your mum just stared at us in shock. She couldn't believe what was happening. Shortly after I began humming, you fell asleep and your mother was so relieved.
I don't think I have ever had anyone thank me more than she did that day. Apparently, she was waiting for the ride she ordered when I met her there so when the ride arrived, she got my contact and promised to keep in touch."

"So, daddy in other words, if not for me, you'd never have met her." She grinned.

Alex smiled and said "I guess you could say so."

"I'm special like that. Okay, let's continue the gist."

"Alrighty. True to her words, she kept in touch. I couldn't forget her beautiful face but I kept reminding myself that she was probably someone's wife. What was I doing thinking about a woman married with a kid? We spoke every once in a while on WhatsApp. Then, as fate would have it, we met again in an NMA Annual General Meeting. I think she spotted me first and we both went 'What are you doing here?'

I didn't expect that she was a medical doctor and I'm not sure she expected that from me as well. In all our little chit chat before then, we never really spoke much about ourselves or what we did for a living.

After the meeting, she suggested dinner. I went 'whoa!' in my head. I wasn't sure I was ready for anybody's husband to come decorate my face with a cutlass.
Not wanting to ask about her husband just yet, I asked about you instead and she told me you were at your grandmother's.

Well, we went to have dinner and we had a really long and interesting night. Your mother was such a lively person and funny too. She told me about how she lost her husband in a car accident some months after the wedding. At the time, she didn't even realize she was pregnant with you yet.
Now, I'm about to sound wicked. Do I have your permission?"

She laughed
"Go ahead daddy."

"Okay. While I felt bad for her as i imagined the trauma she went through, one part of me was relieved that she wasn't married. It meant my crush wasn't a sin after all."

"Daddy!" She chuckled.

"I'm sorry baby. I mean that's your dad."

"He was my dad. I didn't even know him. You're the only father I've ever known."

"Of course, my love. So, so, so. The night ended well. I dropped her home and our friendship began. We were friends for 3 years before we started dating. We dated for one year, then we got engaged. Ah! Those years were beautiful years, my baby. My life was absolutely complete and we were happy.
Our wedding was set for 4th April, 2020 but fate had other plans for us. You were five years old at the time when Corona Virus struck. That was 15 years ago.

Of course, as doctors we were on the frontline. I remember the call that changed my life forever. Your mother called one evening, just as I was leaving work. She sounded as collected as ever but then she said she needed to tell me something. She asked me to promise to remain calm. I did and she narrated to me how they had just found out in the hospital where she worked that a patient had lied about travel history. Fear gripped me there and then. I didn't pay attention to what she was saying anymore as my head began spinning.

The only thing I remember hearing at that point was her request for me to take care of you and take extra clothes for you to your grandmother's place.

When the pandemic kissed Lagos fierce and hard, we thought it was best you stayed with your granny to avoid unnecessary stories.
That's how your mother went into isolation, my love.

I can still remember her optimism. It never wavered. She kept reassuring me when she was the one who needed all the reassurance, even when her results came out positive."
He paused, this time, a long pause.

"It's okay daddy. I think I know the story from there." She snuggled closer to him.

"I think it's best I talk about it. So, that's how I lost your mother to the cruel hands of the Virus that shook our world in 2020. I couldn't believe I'd never hear her laugh again. I'd never watch her tiny frame walk towards me again. The pain, I cannot fully describe. At first, I think I felt more anger than pain.

I was angry at the virus, angry at the people who wouldn't stay put when they were asked to. I was particularly mad at the patient whose lie cost my angel her life.
I buried myself in work. I didn't even go home to see you for a while.

I think the real pain finally settled after the pandemic had loosened its grip on the country and the world in general.
When everyone was struggling and trying their best to return to life before Corona Virus. I was pained, baby. I took you home with me when things returned close to normal.

Your mother's family didn't have a problem with it and that's how we began living as father and daughter." He planted a light kiss on her forehead.
"You helped ease my pain. Everyday, you reminded me of your mother. Look at you now, you're an exact image of her. It makes me happy. You make me happy, Luna and I love you dearly.

"I love you too dad". She hugged him and father and daughter remained that way, each one thinking of the beautiful Maya who was snatched from them.

"It's getting chilly out here, dad."

"Go in, my love. I'll be with you soon."

"Alright, don't stay out too long, okay?"

"Yes ma'am".

Alexander watched her go in, the exact copy of his Maya. The years had healed some of the pain but he was never able to love another the way he loved his Maya.

"I love you, Maya." He whispered into the night.

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Maya by kingphilip(m): 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2020
She's back

Nice short story from Eva as always.

And to all the health personnel on the front line of the fight, I wish them plentiful blessings from God and all the great things of life.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Maya by EvaJael(f): 8:55pm On Apr 25, 2020
kingphilip:
She's back

Nice short story from Eva as always.

And to all the health personnel on the front line of the fight, I wish them plentiful blessings from God and all the great things of life.
Thank you darling
Re: Dr. Maya by EkopSparoAyara(m): 5:04am On Apr 26, 2020
Am following up keenly..

Good to have you back.. Let me read up..

1 Like

Re: Dr. Maya by EkopSparoAyara(m): 5:16am On Apr 26, 2020
This was a beautiful piece.. I like the assurance from the story, that one day Corona virus will just be a story..

And to everyone out there sticking out their necks to subdue Corona virus, I say God bless you..

BRAVO EVAJAEL..

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Maya by EvaJael(f): 8:49am On Apr 26, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:
This was a beautiful piece.. I like the assurance from the story, that one day Corona virus will just be a story..

And to everyone out there sticking out their necks to subdue Corona virus, I say God bless you..

BRAVO EVAJAEL..

Thanks dear. I have really missed you and your constructive comments

1 Like

Re: Dr. Maya by EkopSparoAyara(m): 6:14pm On Apr 26, 2020
EvaJael:

Thanks dear. I have really missed you and your constructive comments

I miss you too dearie.. I mean, who wouldn't miss Evejael and her beautiful works of art..
Re: Dr. Maya by King2019(m): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
EvaJael:
Good afternoon everyone.

The story is dedicated to all the health personnel that have lost their lives while trying to save the lives of others. The idea just popped into my head. I didn't expect it to come out this long anyway.
It's a short story. I'm going to post everything at once. There'll be no sequel or prequel. Enjoy the ride!

Happy birthday writer

1 Like

Re: Dr. Maya by EvaJael(f): 8:41am On Jun 16, 2020
King2019:

Happy birthday writer

Aww thank you dear. God bless you

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SEO Article Writers Needed Urgently / The Trials Of Love (clean/christian Romance) / Affordable And Reliable Content Writing Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.