Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? (32524 Views)

My Takeaway From Learning Devops At 40 / Can I Still Learn Programming At My Age? / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by romeo411(m): 11:08pm On May 07, 2020
bet9ja:
My candid advice, first determine your aspired carrier, Ask yourself if you want to be a Front-end developer, Back-end developer, Full- stack Engr, Mobile app developer and so on. Your decision will assist you to follow the right path and also choose the right technology to learn.

Who I am.

Full Stack Engineer with over 4 years experience practicing in South Africa.
www.olumide.co.za
So you mean Web development is a pathway if I choose to? Thanks
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by romeo411(m): 11:12pm On May 07, 2020
Anonime1105:

I get your point but
You should understand that not every programmer wants to build the next world class Operating system or develop a new Programming language, game etc

@OP yes you can, but you need dedication and consistency.
The reason you want to learn programming should be your motivating factor, it would guild you on the language to start with
Well am so ambitious about my own quest in learning the stuff, anything worth doing is worth doing well, thanks though!
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by romeo411(m): 11:28pm On May 07, 2020
Anonime1105:

I get your point but
You should understand that not every programmer wants to build the next world class Operating system or develop a new Programming language, game etc

@OP yes you can, but you need dedication and consistency.
The reason you want to learn programming should be your motivating factor, it would guild you on the language to start with
Am very ambitious about it, I don't mind taking it to any level. I think it's worth doing well if it's worth doing at all. Thanks though!
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by romeo411(m): 11:39pm On May 07, 2020
Now the crux of the matter is that I want a teacher/mentor. Whoever that is willing pls reach me on this 08063588558 for terms.
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Anonime1105(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2020
romeo411:
Am very ambitious about it, I don't mind taking it to any level. I think it's worth doing well if it's worth doing at all. Thanks though!

Great then, you should be well grounded in Discrete mathematics, get some books on discrete mathematics (Discrete mathematics Elementary and Beyond is a book that simplified my learning process)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by BlueBanana: 12:52pm On May 09, 2020
mcqwerty:
Hello Friend,

I advice you as a Programmer doing Website Design & Software development and not a Website designer.

I am also assuming you said "Programming" as a career switch and not website design.

If family or girlfriend is not in the way, go to a good computer college and enroll for C++ & Java programming or Python. You can even write oracle Java certification later on to boost your career.

To succeed in anything, you will need a considerable amount of time learning, practice and internalising. You will be patient while learning and honing your skills.

Don't waste time with YouTube or online coding schools. It's for those that already know their way around coding.

Do not go for HTML5, css and JavaScript lessons. Do not go for new and shiny stuffs like Js and the likes. You can add those later when you have mastered Core programming languages.

Web Design is not real career. Don't come to be begging for website design on Nairaland.com like a good number of us.

Take this advice from a 39yo man like you and you will not regret it.

Cheers.
Are you implying that learning web development as a skill is no longer lucrative?
I have been interested in it for a while and was considering learning it.
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by ekehopp: 12:34pm On May 11, 2020
romeo411:
I honestly want to switch to programming as in carrier change, considering that I am 40, can I still make it giving every input I put in.
I'm a few years younger and making the switch too. Following the freeCodeCamp pathway.
Time, dedication and consistency is all you need.

4 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by mcqwerty(m): 11:37am On May 12, 2020
romeo411:
Thanks dear, are you suggesting that this online learning that is the rave of the moment is not a pathway to follow?

Online courses (MOOC) are good but it's easy to get distracted by internet surfing and social media. Its also quite easy to not fully commit because you are learning at your own pace which might be a disaster because not all of us are super disciplined. It's very easy to jump from course A to Course B based on what your friend said about this language or stuff like that. I got tons of youtube videos on my PC but I only watch the ones that are presented like a Full Course.

You need to commit! One of the most efficient ways is a classroom learning experience. Forget that NIIT has good books and bad teachers. The teachers show you the way, it's your duty to study and do the grueling work of writing and debugging actual code and programs. It's your money on the line. It comes with some seriousness.

By the time you are done with a 3-6mths programming course and a certificate, you are beginning to think like a hacker and start having the "Hacker mindset" (that is, a solution provider), and you can increase your learning with this online courses and youtube videos and actually follow along and understand it. This is where I recommend online learning.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by mcqwerty(m): 11:46am On May 12, 2020
BlueBanana:

Are you implying that learning web development as a skill is no longer lucrative?
I have been interested in it for a while and was considering learning it.

What I am saying is Programming is quite a wide domain and website design is a sub-domain of it. A lot of folks think website design (Html, Css, etc) is the beginning of programming but they are mistaken. That is why they lack the basic foundation and principles of programming.

If its website design you want to switch to, then it's fine. That aspect of programming is referred to as Web Programming. There are also different remuneration that goes with the kind of language you know so all programmers are not equal -just to let you know.

4 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Raalsalghul: 12:19pm On May 12, 2020
mcqwerty:

What I am saying is Programming is quite a wide domain and website design is a sub-domain of it. A lot of folks think website design (Html, Css, etc) is the beginning of programming but they are mistaken. That is why they lack the basic foundation and principles of programming.

If its website design you want to switch to, then it's fine. That aspect of programming is referred to as Web Programming. There are also different remuneration that goes with the kind of language you know so all programmers are not equal -just to let you know.

What are your thoughts on Data Science?

Another bubble that'll burst or the future?

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by BlueBanana: 3:00pm On May 12, 2020
mcqwerty:

Okay. Thanks for the explanation

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by ekehopp: 11:10am On May 13, 2020
Raalsalghul:

If data science is in demand, why is it so hard to get a job?
https://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/if-data-science-is-in-demand-why-is-it-so-hard-to-get-a-job
...It became some kind of Ponzi scheme, where nowadays, many so-called data scientists have no other option but offering services to train people interested in becoming a data scientist. ...

Data Scientist vs Web Developer: What’s A Better Career?
https://engineeredtruth.com/whats-a-better-career-data-scientist-or-web-developer-learn-the-differences-between-a-data-scientist-and-a-web-developer-in-terms-of-pay-role-and-costs-of-learning/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by mcqwerty(m): 7:10pm On Jun 08, 2020
Raalsalghul:

I would not really say that. Data science is still fresh. Someone said we do not do Data science in Nigeria, at least not in the real sense of it.
We do data analysis instead. I think you might have a shot at data analysis as a career. Data is being generated every second by every move we make online and offline. We will need people to analyze them and make sense of them to make decisions.

5 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by romeo411(m): 10:56am On Jul 16, 2020
Anonime1105:

Great then, you should be well grounded in Discrete mathematics, get some books on discrete mathematics (Discrete mathematics Elementary and Beyond is a book that simplified my learning process)
Thanks I like your blunt discrete answer.

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Mplify(m): 11:49am On Jul 16, 2020
romeo411:
I honestly want to switch to programming as in carrier change, considering that I am 40, can I still make it giving every input I put in.

For those of you not aware, Lynda is a premium Linkedin platform for learning Courses online.

Guys it will amaze you how much skills you can acquire from this platform. Lynda is currently rated at the Top #5 among platforms of E-learning.

There are over a 1000 Skills to learn on this Platform, just name it;

Mobile App Development
Web Design / Development
Graphic Design
Programming Languages
3D Animation
Artificial Intelligence
Blockchains
Video Production
Digital Marketing..... And so many more.

All courses are in Video format and are meticulously handled by Professionals, I mean Gurus!

It Will Amaze you to know this courses are Certified!

Lynda charge $30 monthly for this account.

But guess what The first 10 persons will be getting their account for N5000 Only, Validity is 3 Month. After 10 days , I will increase the Price.

Learn something NEW and earn money for yourself. Goodluck to you all!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 11:50am On Jul 16, 2020
romeo411:

Start Blogging Business to start with and thank me later
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by deltateam: 11:50am On Jul 16, 2020
romeo411:

What kind of childish question is this?

Is there anything one can't learn in this life given dedication and interest?

Obasanjo went to open university at what age again? 70? Not to talk of a skill that can be learnt outside the university.
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Sofistcatdmoron: 11:51am On Jul 16, 2020
Say the truth, you are 40+

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Openbusiness: 11:53am On Jul 16, 2020
romeo411:
If you want to be an expert programmer, start with Python, after that Java, after that C++...and after that anyhow you like. Any other road na One Chance u dey go so grin

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by ecclize: 11:53am On Jul 16, 2020
bet9ja:
My candid advice, first determine your aspired carrier, Ask yourself if you want to be a Front-end developer, Back-end developer, Full- stack Engr, Mobile app developer and so on. Your decision will assist you to follow the right path and also choose the right technology to learn.

Who I am.

Full Stack Engineer with over 4 years experience practicing in South Africa.
www.olumide.co.za
am thinking of switching too
pls which of all u mentioned is in demand the most?
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Betterhandwork(m): 11:53am On Jul 16, 2020
Yes,you can.you can start with the basic, before moving to the advance.

Don't just sit at home for nothing,try and learn a skills today.you can start with Satellite dish installation, the training is an online version which you can learn at the comfort of your home.the training will open your eye to the abundant of Satellite tv you can watch without paying a dime.this training is strictly for professionals, people that want to become expert in Satellite dish/tv installation,the practical aspect as already been covered in our training videos.register today and begin your training immediately.
you can visit this nairaland thread below to read more about the training program

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 16, 2020
Not neglecting the technicalities and the activities involved in programing, age is a number.
With age comes great understanding many a time.... So you may do perfectly well!!!
Sincerely as a career change?
Do not end your current job or business for programming, just make it an addendum....

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Jbleenk: 11:54am On Jul 16, 2020
GrantCashel:

I started out with php and java.
It's was nice then showing off your latest android app(with help from stack overflow) and feeling like the next zuckerberg by building an fb clone.
Every guy in my lodge(at uni) knew laravel, but you'd search the whole campus to find someone who could implement a crude version of PageRank.
Of course you know it takes a great deal of theoretical cs to architect high performing software, and thats where the money is.
For me, getting into web dev without knowing the underlying theory would be a waste of your time......at least it was for me.

You sound really grounded in info’ Tech’. Can you please reach out to me at emini_akin@yahoo.com
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by GboyegaD(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2020
Just take it a step at a time.
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2020
even at 70 is a matter of choice
Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Jamieb(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2020
romeo411:
Wow. This topic has been ringing in my head for the past couple of months. I'm 28 and I'm confused on whether to go for programming or graphics design and branding. Sometimes I feel too old coupled with the fact my first degree is in Art .
I'm fascinated about programming and anything tech. I can design WordPress websites perfectly.
I see this topic as a motivation again to go for it.

2 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Asadujames202(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2020
Say Yes
When they tell you No

1 Like

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Sheriman(m): 11:59am On Jul 16, 2020
GrantCashel:
I ve taken the most unconventional approach to learning programming.
Being unserious in secondary school, it affected my progress in 2018.
You need to settle any problem you have with math if you dont want any issues. Google pdfdrive.com and download in this order developmental math for college students, college algebra and trigonometry, linear algebra, classical geometry, calculus, advanced calculus, vector calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations. If you want to avoid begging to build websites on nairaland, avoid web development, android or any shiny applications until you're theoretically grounded.
So na all these things E go dey learn @40 plus other tangible things in his life??

4 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 16, 2020
ToyinDipo:
If you have an alternative don't, that's about the twilight for a programmer, except you are gifted

Unfortunately, no one wants to tell him this truth. He'll end up struggling all through the rest of his career except he just want to do it for the fun of it. Even at my age, I'm sad I didn't start earlier when I was in secondary school. I would have gone far.

6 Likes

Re: At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? by bayusman: 12:03pm On Jul 16, 2020
Absolutley, with hard word and dedication. You have unlimited open source resources to help you achieve that on the internet. Google is your best friend. Go buddy..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / Google Launches First Developer Space In Nigeria / OAU Engineering Students Build 'HUMANE' A Software For The Visually-impaired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.