Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno (8763 Views)

Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria -- Prof Tekena Tamuno / Igbos By Prof Tekena Tamuno / Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria" -- Prof Tekena Tamuno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Moneywomen17(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2020
omonnakoda:

Fastest growing?
Source?

I didn’t say this na ibo talk am. Am just throwing them a bone. I know say na their usual lie

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Subduer: 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2020
Smoke55:
ok Lets Assume The Whole Story Was A Propaganda As You Stated,so Please Sir Can You Kindly Tell Us Your Own (legit) Side Of The Story?
Their LEGIT story is SHROUDED IN SECRECY, & Secret Societies.

That's how they looted Nigeria into bankruptcy, from 1973 National Indigenisation Scam, that started with the 1969 Nationalisation of Land & the Natural Resources in other people's lands.

Obasanjo even ATTEMPTED to nationalise offshore oil fields.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Smoke55: 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
there is no story u dumbass.
ok Kid,you Can Now Go And Sleep.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Moneywomen17(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2020
Smoke55:
ok Kid,you Can Now Go And Sleep.
see painment lol
Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Smoke55: 4:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ogbeni do u know what wailing is or what beef is. I merely pointed out that the write up is fake. And the fact u can not provide a source prove that it is indeed fake.
enyi a,,you have been crying all over the thread, since its fake and you cant tell us the legit news,dont you think its time for you to go and wash those plates in the kitchen?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Smoke55: 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
see painment lol
you are still here? i said you should go to bed.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Buchika: 5:34pm On Apr 27, 2020
yugotee:
I think this is a great piece. Please read carefully and verify the revelations made here.

The problem with writing skewered history is that it equally misinforms its target: Kayode Esho was a great jurist, but Akunne Oputa was the "Socrates" of the Supreme court. Enahoro was a young editor, but Azikiwe made him that young editor with Osita Agwuna as his assistant, at his paper, the Southern Nigerian Defender in Ibadan, where my own father incidentally started as a rookie before shortly abandoning journalism for the stable berth of the civil service.

The myth of Awolowo as building the first this and that does not match the documented economic history of the period. Between 1954 and 1964, Eastern Nigeria was described as "the fastest growing economy in the world," by the Harvard Review; faster than China, faster than Singapore, and all the so-called "Asian Tigers." Awolowo is often credited with "free education". But no one yet has pointed out any surviving school buildings of the period built by Awo. But all over the East there were quality schools built by the various communities using the Town Development Unions from 1954, and acessing the matching grants of the Eastern Nigeria Development Corporation. And this was the East with the poorest revenue resources of any of the regions. The Mbaise secondary school exists, the National High School Okigwe exists, the Ngwa High school exists, the Enyiogugu Grammar School exists, etc. These were solid schools built all over the East with matching goverment grants. But where are the buildings of the Modern schools in Western Nigeria? They do not exist. They were makeshift.

The Catholic church forced the Azikiwe government from its scholarship program, but it is also on record, that the Eastern government was the only government in the world that invested 45% of its revenues in education. The East had the highest number of schools; the highest school enrollment; the broadest penetration of medical services; and the best modern road network in west Africa. Indeed if we look carefully, the only public hospitals and most of the schools still standing in the East today, at various stages of run down are the schools and hospitals built by Azikiwe/Okpara.

Every division of the East had a Joint Hospital as part of the Eastern Medical services. So it is often claimed Awo built the first television station; the first sky scraper, and the first Sports stadium, the liberty stadium in Ibadan. Well, these are prestige or white elephant investments. First, the Eastern Outlook, the government paper of Eastern Nigeria was the first newspaper established by any government in Nigeria, and it was of such quality and impact that the literacy level of Easterners, and the depth of public information retailed by Outlook was without compare. This is besides the fact that Western Nigerian Broadcast Services, WNBS-TV founded in 1958 only preceded the ENBC-TV founded in 1959, by only seven months. But Outlook preceded Sketch by about 15 years.

Now Azikiwe built the Onitsha Modern market, the first modern mall or trade emporium in West Africa. Onitsha was effectively Dubai before Dubai. People traveled all over Africa, from as far as the Congo and Sudan and Egypt, to come and buy and trade in Onitsha. The economic impact of this was humonguos. So, give me the vast Onitsha modern market over Cocoa House in Ibadan.

Azikiwe built the first Nigerian University at Nsukka with the first School of Law, the first School of Engineering, the first Business School; the first school of journalism, and the first school of music and performance, etc. By the time its first graduates took the Nigerian civil service exams in 1963, everybody began to raise the cry of "Igbo domination" starting with Akintola and Ayo Rosiji. Give me UNN over Liberty stadium. Azikiwe began the first modern library system in West Africa.

The East had a system of city libraries starting with the very modern Ziks Library in Enugu. I Literally grew up in the Umuahia Divisional Library. These libraries were built all over the East. Schools in the East were built with libraries. Moreover the Eastern Nigerian Library Board had a sysem of rural amd mobile libraries. There was nothing like it anywhere else in Nigeria: kids having library cards and able to borrow or order books from the public library. Give me the the first library over the first TV. I do not by this mean that Awolowo did not make his contributions, but the regular skewering of the facts, and angling of contemporary national narratives often makes it seem these days like the greatest contributor to the founding of Nigeria and its development is Awolowo and the Yoruba, when the actual facts speak differently.

The great Ibadan historian, Tekena Tamuno, was unambiguous in stating once at NIPPS, Jos, that "the Igbos are the makers of moderm Nigeria. When they abandoned their project, Nigeria collapsed." We must remind Nigerians, particularly Igbo children, daily of these fact, to achieve what Achebe called " a balance of stories." And that also means we must read beyond the surface of things. Babarinsa's Guardian essay is angled carefully to maintain a revisionist narrative. And that is to be always challenged, however innocent it might seem.

Even today, most Yoruba think that Awolowo founded the Universities of Ibadan and Lagos. No one has reminded them that it took Azikiwe's pressures for a university for Nigeria, in his meeting with Arthur Richards in 1946, that led to the cobstitution of the Eliot commision and subsequently the founding of the University College, Ibadan.

This fact is even clearly conveyed in Michael Crowder's eponymous book, The Story of Nigeria. Nsukka was Azikiwe's critique of what he felt to be the conceptual limitations of Ibadan. The University of Lagos was the result of NCNC's ideological contributions to the federal policy during the ill fated coalition government with the NPC. UNILAG was an NCNC project, shepherded by Aja Wachukwu as minister for education. Even the great UNILAG in her 50th anniversary failed to mention Prof Eni Njoku as the pioneer Vice Chancellor of the university, a man that layed the solid foundation of what made Unilag is today.

These facts must be made known and put as forcefully accross as possible. Again, until the lion tells his own story, the story of the hunt will belong to the hunter. Kabissa!
The great Ibadan historian, Tekena Tamuno, was unambiguous in stating once at NIPPS, Jos, that "the Igbos are the makers of moderm Nigeria. When they abandoned their project, Nigeria collapsed.".

this one got me.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Covidodo: 5:42pm On Apr 27, 2020
Subduer:

Adisa Akinloye, Anthony Enahoro, among others.

Please mention any that defected to Action Group that wasn't NCNC.
Have you heard about Ibadan People's Party before ??
Akinloye said in his life that he wasn't NCNC .

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by DATACUG00000(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
Unbe
Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2020
yugotee:
I
Now Azikiwe built the Onitsha Modern market, the first modern mall or trade emporium in West Africa. Onitsha was effectively Dubai before Dubai. People traveled all over Africa, from as far as the Congo and Sudan and Egypt, to come and buy and trade in Onitsha. The economic impact of this was humonguos.
River Niger bridge was completed in December 1965 The following year the Nation was in crisis leading to the Civil war.
Was it before the completion of the bridge that Egyptians were coming to buy clothes and cars in Onitsha and how did they arrive and ship their goods or WHEN EXACTLY did this shopping bazaar occur.
How did international shoppers commute to this 8th Wonder of the World?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by eagleu: 7:21pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
ode is that the source I ask for. something we both know no professor wrote u slowpoke. USA is the largest economy in the world but can u tell me when last it was recorded as the fastest growing economy. It’s a fact that the western region was the best economy back then it doesn’t matter if it’s not the fastest growing cuz it has already achieved its growth to an extent. The only achievement of the eastern region was that it was the fastest growing for just one year what an achievement. Even the British wrote about how jealous ur leaders are about the wealth of the western region. Also can u compare UI to unn today.

This otherwise innocuous article has brought the worst out of some people.

While the article compares UNN vs UI 1960s, your small mind can't even understand the basic concept.

You can't compare UI with UNN today, because everyone knows that UNN resources were carted off to ABU and UI during the war. Today, UNN still doesn't receive as much federal money as UI. Is the concept of fairness and independence new to you?
Next you will compare infrastructures of the eastern region with those of Lagos today, so that you can congratulate yourself!
Something tells me that you are not just educated enough to even speak to.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by yommen: 7:31pm On Apr 27, 2020
desmond2pk:
This is true. Unilag had ignore v.c until the yorubas brought tribalising to it and install a yoruba man in a must do affair. Yabatech had igbo vc.
NCNC was accepted more in yoruba land until awolowo brought in bigotry into it. Zik wan a seat in lagos against awolowo wish. There was a tribal coup against zik overnight. That was the beginning of the end of nigeria.
Igbo domination became the reason to stop igbos.

Igbo domination or Igbo notice.
Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Subduer: 8:15pm On Apr 27, 2020
Covidodo:

Have you heard about Ibadan People's Party before ??
Akinloye said in his life that he wasn't NCNC .
Who else, among the DEFECTORS that increased AG numbers to be able to form Government, wasn't in the NCNC?

And don't forget the BRUTAL persecution of the Alaafin. Make I match brake.

The very influential Adegoke Adelabu was still alive then, talking about Ibadan People's Party.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Covidodo: 8:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
Subduer:
Who else, among the DEFECTORS that increased AG numbers to be able to form Government, wasn't in the NCNC?

And don't forget the BRUTAL persecution of the Alaafin. Make I match brake.

The very influential Adegoke Adelabu was still alive then, talking about Ibadan People's Party.
The candidates that moved to AG were either independent candidates or candidates from the smaller parties ( other than NCNC and AG) eg IPP .
Adelabu was the only one from IPP that joined NCNC .

No one who won the 1951 election under NCNC joined the AG .

It is also instructive to know that all these movements occurred before the inauguration of the Western regional assembly on 7th January 1952.

So , I do not understand all these lies of cross carpeting from NCNC to AG.
It never happened !!!!

Bro , can you give me just 2 people who won the 1951 elections under NCNC that moved to AG ?

You go search tire !! Because it never happened

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 8:55pm On Apr 27, 2020
eagleu:

While the article compares UNN vs UI 1960s, your small mind can't even understand the basic concept.

You can't compare UI with UNN today, because everyone knows that UNN resources were carted off to ABU and UI during the war. Today, UNN still doesn't receive as much federal money as UI. Is the concept of fairness and independence new to you?
Next you will compare infrastructures of the eastern region with those of Lagos today, so that you can congratulate yourself!
There cannot be any basis for comparing UI with UNN at ANY TIME.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Moneywomen17(m): 9:36pm On Apr 27, 2020
eagleu:

do u know what innocuous means. I only brought out the current state of ui cuz apparently this “innocuous” article which is fake and lie by the way try to undermine a lot of projects that happened in the western region by talking about a lot of the stuff done in the eastern region still standing strong today. Tell me what resources of unn was taking to abu and ui can u list it cuz ui has always been the best university in the country for a long time. And am not asking for ipob stats but real sources about what resources was taking From unn.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Subduer: 10:28pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
there is no story u dumbass.
1. Who pressured the colonialists to build University of Ibadan?
2. Who built & developed the University of Lagos?
3. Did UNN graduates perform well in Civil Service Exams?

Of course the story MUST be told.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Subduer: 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2020
Covidodo:

Adelabu was the only one from IPP that joined NCNC .

No one who won the 1951 election under NCNC joined the AG .

So , I do not understand all these lies of cross carpeting from NCNC to AG.
It never happened !!!!

When did Enahoro defect to AG?

Don't forget that party registers are still intact.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 10:40pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
Never seen a more biased right up. First of all does the fact that eastern region was the fastest growing economy mean shit if it was not better than the western region. A lot of African countries like Ethiopia and Ghana are considered one of the fasted growing economy’s doesn’t mean they are better than Canada or even Spain and Portugal. It only means they are growing faster simple. It also talked about the onitsha market in comparison to cocoa house and praised the onitsha market as he should but called the cocoa house a white elephant project when it was on record that a lot of the wealth of western region then was through cocoa trading. Lots of people became wealthy trading cocoa and its proceeds was also used to pay for free health care and education, ikeja industrial estates that it’s legacies still live on in the western region today and so many more. The write up is nothing but one sided.

You read it with a biased mind. There was never free education in western region. The myth about Awolowo's free education almost relegated western region behind northern region in the strata of education in Nigeria. The people of western region were taxed into tank that parents could not afford secondary education for their wards. It was so bad that Akintola put a stop to the nonsense to lessen the burden of taxation on the people of western region In the eastern region, schools were not totally free but with quality education.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 10:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
Subduer:

[color=#000000]Adisa Akinloye, Anthony Enahoro, among others.

Please mention any that defected to Action Group that wasn't NCNC.
[/color]

Are you this confused? Chief Augustus Meredith Adisa Akinloye aka A.M.A was the first carpet crosser of all times.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Moneywomen17(m): 10:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

You read it with a biased mind. There was never free education in western region. The myth about Awolowo's free education almost relegated western region behind northern region in the strata of education in Nigeria. The people of western region were taxed into tank that parents could not afford secondary education for their wards. It was so bad that Akintola put stop to the nonsense lessen the burden of taxation on the people of western region In the eastern region, education was not totally free but with quality education.
am the biased one says the liar saying shit without fact. There is nothing free in the sense that yes it was the tax of the west that was used to sponsor the educations. But there is no proof that parents could not send their children to secondary schools. The western region had the best education back then so I don’t know what u meant by quality education regarding the west

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 10:53pm On Apr 27, 2020
Subduer:
1. Who pressured the colonialists to build University of Ibadan?
2. Who built & developed the University of Lagos?

3. Did UNN graduates perform well in [color=#000000]Civil Service Exams?

Of course the story MUST be told.
[/color]

Civil Service Exam was the mother of expo and it was masterminded by Yari.ba.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 10:54pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

You read it with a biased mind. There was never free education in western region. The myth about Awolowo's free education almost relegated western region behind northern region in the strata of education in Nigeria. The people of western region were taxed into tank that parents could not afford secondary education for their wards. It was so bad that Akintola put stop to the nonsense lessen the burden of taxation on the people of western region In the eastern region, education was not totally free but with quality education.
Dende what kind of egregious education did you have?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 10:56pm On Apr 27, 2020
omonnakoda:

Dende what kind of egregious education did you have?

Did you remember the school fondly called Eton College of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 11:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

Ogbor Hill or Mgbidi?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 11:06pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

Do you not did you.........

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 11:11pm On Apr 27, 2020
Moneywomen17:
am the biased one says the liar saying shit without fact. There is nothing free in the sense that yes it was the tax of the west that was used to sponsor the educations. But there is no proof that parents could not send their children to secondary schools. The western region had the best education back then so I don’t know what u meant by quality education regarding the west

The western region was lagging so bad in second tier of education where the best secondary schools in western region, primarily Lagos, were filled with kids from outside the region. I really do not know who loaded today's Yari.ba peeps with silly fallacy which made some of them to assume they had monopoly to historic facts. It was one of the bitter facts behind Akintola and Rosiji fallout with Awo. Some jackasses from western region will wrongly attribute the solid showing of kids from eastern or midwestern region in education as beneficiaries of Awo’s so-called free education. Yet they forgot the crappy free education was limited to PE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 11:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
omonnakoda:

Do you not did you.........

Omo kekere, do not be astonished. Eastern region was not called Oriental for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 11:26pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

Omo kekere, do not be astonished. Eastern region was not called Oriental for nothing.
That sentence makes plenty of sense ...... inside your head
By the way Eastern region is not the same as Ebolaland

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Moneywomen17(m): 11:27pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

The western region was lagging so bad in second tier of education where the best secondary schools in western region, primarily Lagos, were filled with kids from outside the region. I really do not know who loaded today's Yari.ba peeps with silly fallacy which made some of them to assume they had monopoly to historic facts. It was one of the biter facts Akintola and Rosiji fell out with Awo. Some jackasses from western region will wrongly attribute the solid showing of kids from eastern or midwestern region in education as beneficiaries of Awo’s so-called free education. Yet they forgot the crappy free education was limited to PE
ogbeni stop saying crap. Where do u get ur fact that secondary education in the west was filled with non western. Ibo and lies are 5@6. Secondary education was even more better than primary in the west. The west had more teacher in secondary school than primary school which points to more student. In fact it’s the other way round cuz east had more primary school teacher compare to the West that has more in the secondary. There was never a time that the West lagged behind in education. I stand to be corrected on this. U can bring ur source to prove me wrong. Also before u get to secondary school don’t u have to go through primary. In the states school is free for student until college. So I don’t see what’s wrong with that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by Dedetwo(m): 11:29pm On Apr 27, 2020
omonnakoda:

That sentence makes plenty of sense ...... your head
By the way Eastern region is not the same as Ebolaland

The bolded in the above post shows the legacy of Awo's free education. Ebola Land is located in Democratic Republic of Congo. It is specifically a river.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Are The Makers Of Modern Nigeria"- Prof Tekena Tamuno by omonnakoda: 11:31pm On Apr 27, 2020
Dedetwo:

The bolded in the above post shows the legacy of Awo's free education. Ebola Land is located in Democratic Republic of Congo. It is specifically a river.
Not the land of the Ebola people of Mgbidi and Arondizuogu?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Free Zone To Attract Additional $5 Billion Investment To Lagos / Ugwuanyi Conferred Title Of Ifezulumba In Ukpo Community Anambra / Yakowa & Wife Were Looking Forward To 34 Years Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.