Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,995 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Benin Art And Architecture - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Art And Architecture (206637 Views)

Art And Architecture Of The Igbo People / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Art And Architecture by taharqa: 10:22am On Sep 10, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: it would have been nice if the british took pictures of the kings palace before they stripped the art. angry
I think d bigger question shld be why we have not been able to Recreate d Palace with all d info we have of what/how it looked like presently?? Why haven't we built Models of d Palace- either Physically Or just ComputerGenerated ones- which wud have come in very handy Films/Cartoons/Documentaries Production about d civilization
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Nyumba(m): 8:14pm On Oct 03, 2013
taharqa: I think d bigger question shld be why we have not been able to Recreate d Palace with all d info we have of what/how it looked like presently?? Why haven't we built Models of d Palace- either Physically Or just ComputerGenerated ones- which wud have come in very handy Films/Cartoons/Documentaries Production about d civilization
All of the above will be done in the near future. Entertainment is money, and money is workforce.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by PAPAAFRICA: 4:06pm On Oct 07, 2013
PhysicsQED: I might as well re-post this quote:

"Legroing tells us : " The city of Benin is situated in a plain surrounded by deep
ditches. Vestiges of an old earthen wall are to be seen ; the wall could hardly have
been built of any other material as we did not see a single stone in the whole journey
up. The houses for the most part are covered with latanier leaves, and those of
the king with large shingles. In front of the king's houses there were two thick
clumps of high trees, and these appeared to us to be the only trees planted by the
hand of man (Labarthe, p. 175)." From Landolphe we learn that a " ditch more than
20 feet wide and as deep surrounds the town, and the soil taken out is made on the
city side into a talus, on which a thorny hedge has been planted so thick, that not
even an animal can get through. The height of this talus deprives one of a view of
the houses at a distance, and one does not see them until entering the town, the gates
of which are very far apart " (II., 48). " The streets are very broad ; in the middle
there is turf on which the kids and sheep feed ; about thirty feet from the houses
there is a level road, covered with sand for the inhabitants to walk on " [ibid, II., 50).
He also mentions several spacious courts surrounded by earthen walls about sixteen
feet high. Along the inside of the walls there ran a gallery fifteen feet wide, thatched
with natanier. The thatching is done by overlapping the leaves which not
being pulled apart, fall one on top of another to a thickness of eighteen inches.
This roof is supported by large pieces of timber cut into the shape of pillars. They
are set up about eighteen feet apart, and carry stout horizontal planks on which
abut the sloping joists which carry the roof, which was an ingenious piece of work "
(ibid, I., 111-112). Of the apartments of the king's wives he says the walls are twenty
feet high and five feet thick, solidly built of earth [ibid, I., 335)." - H. Ling Roth, Great Benin

(kids = goats, just in case anyone is confused by that part)
I always find my self looking through this thread and I can never understand everything he's describing here. Can anyone clarify?
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Nyumba(m): 11:01am On Oct 09, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: I always find my self looking through this thread and I can never understand everything he's describing here. Can anyone clarify?
Great walls 4m high, wide roads with inthe middle grass for the herds and sand for the people as sidewalk. Inside the walls there is a gallery. The walls surrounding the apartments of the king's wives are 6m high.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by PAPAAFRICA: 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
Nyumba:
Great walls 4m high, wide roads with inthe middle grass for the herds and sand for the people as sidewalk. Inside the walls there is a gallery. The walls surrounding the apartments of the king's wives are 6m high.
thanks, so I'm guessing the art was displayed on this gallery and it was along one of the defensive walls and not the houses?
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Nyumba(m): 8:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: thanks, so I'm guessing the art was displayed on this gallery and it was along one of the defensive walls and not the houses?
I think some bronzes were at the top of the walls.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by PAPAAFRICA: 4:04am On Nov 01, 2013
in reference to the shining earthern walls mentioned by Europeans i have a better understanding of how it looked now. like this:

this is a ball of mud polished to a high glaze using sand and water, like marble like the Europeans mentioned.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: in reference to the shining earthern walls mentioned by Europeans i have a better understanding of how it looked now. like this:

this is a ball of mud polished to a high glaze using sand and water, like marble like the Europeans mentioned.

Nice one PAPA
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 4:31am On Nov 04, 2013
I could barely get through that book that PhysicsQED was quoting. It's entitled "Great Benin; Its Customs, Art and Horrors". While it was very detailed when it came to things like architecture and other physical objects, it was dripping with arrogance and condescension. As well as having numerous propaganda-like and Euro-centric interpretations, when it came to the reason behind certain events and customs. Not to mention it was filled with statements that contradicted what I've heard from Edo/Bini historians.

Like how the Edo hated the Portuguese. Despite the fact that they worked with them for years, and despite the fact that one of the Edo kings had a child with a Portuguese woman.

Another contradiction was when it came to sacrifices. On one account, it made it sound like they were killing people left and right. By the hundreds and hundreds. While not mentioning a massive graveyard, which would have to exist to contain all the bodies. All this is contradicted though when they said in a later chapter, that the Edo didn't sacrifice many people, "unlike other African groups." Which doesn't make sense, as other ethnic groups were much smaller in number. And if they sacrificed people at a greater rate than the Edo, then they wouldn't have anyone left to sacrifice.

All of which goes against what I've been told about the Edo, when it comes to how aware they were of the concept of disease from rotting flesh and their high level of cleanliness.

So while I appreciate the book and its details about many things, I take almost all of the author's opinions "with a grain of salt"....as we Americans say.

And it's good to see you again, Rabzy and Physics. grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 2:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hi Booshman,
Good to hear fom you too. How is your project going.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2013
rabzy: Hi Booshman,
Good to hear fom you too. How is your project going.

It's still going on. And strong, my friend. Just finished writing the story and events for my 3rd plotline. (The first time the characters go to Benin, coincidentally.) Three more and I'll have given myself enough headway. So when the comic starts being available to the public, by the time they get to that point in the story, I'll have another 6 plotlines ready.

It's all about staying "ahead of the game."
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 10:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
That's beautiful, I hope u cud include joromi, d wrestler champion of both d human and spirit world.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 2:25am On Nov 06, 2013
rabzy: That's beautiful, I hope u cud include joromi, d wrestler champion of both d human and spirit world.

Joromi? I've never heard of him, before. Could you give me some information about him? Is he an Edo folk hero, like Evian?
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 5:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
Booshman:

Joromi? I've never heard of him, before. Could you give me some information about him? Is he an Edo folk hero, like Evian?

Wow, there is a popular song about him by the Edo high-life musician Victor Uwaifo. You should check out the song and listen to it. One of the most popular high-life tracks in Nigeria.

The legend states that as far as Joromi could remember, he had been warned never to climb a particular palm tree at the back of their house. Joromi was a strong and very stubborn boy. He became a wrestler and defeated all opponents that he met. One day he decided to conquer the palm tree he was warned about and climb it. His younger sister on seeing him climbing the tree turned into a fly and followed him.

When Joromi got to the top of the tree he suddenly found himself in the spirit world with multi-headed demons around him. As an intruder he was challenged and he got into a wrestling match with them. he first fought with a tw0-headed monster and he immediately defeated him and cut off one of the heads telling the demon no one goes around with two heads. Then a three-headed demon took over and the battle continued and became more difficult. Each time a new demon appears to fight, Joromi's sister who turned into a fly will keep singing and warning Joromi not to the demon, that he has conquered all human opponents and these are spirits and this is where death resides.

Joromi instead is spurred on and encouraged by the song and with each 'kese' kese' chorus in the song he cuts off demon heads. Eventually a seven-headed demon came and the Joromi fought bravely and became very tired, he slipped and fell and the demon with only one head remaining came closer to cut off his devastating arms but Joromi kept his arms behind his back and the demon could not pry it off, suddenly he sprang up with another 'kese' kese' and tore the demon's stomach with a blow.

While the demon was writhing in pains, he took the opportunity to try and scramble down the palm tree and get back to the earth, as he was about to escape the spirit realm, the demon lunged after him with giant strides and grabbed him, but he could not get a firm grasp but could only scratch his Joromi's back with his claws.

That is why all humans till today have a groove (i.e the spinal cord groove) in their backs.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 9:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
rabzy:

Wow, there is a popular song about him by the Edo high-life musician Victor Uwaifo. You should check out the song and listen to it. One of the most popular high-life tracks in Nigeria.

The legend states that as far as Joromi could remember, he had been warned never to climb a particular palm tree at the back of their house. Joromi was a strong and very stubborn boy. He became a wrestler and defeated all opponents that he met. One day he decided to conquer the palm tree he was warned about and climb it. His younger sister on seeing him climbing the tree turned into a fly and followed him.

When Joromi got to the top of the tree he suddenly found himself in the spirit world with multi-headed demons around him. As an intruder he was challenged and he got into a wrestling match with them. he first fought with a tw0-headed monster and he immediately defeated him and cut off one of the heads telling the demon no one goes around with two heads. Then a three-headed demon took over and the battle continued and became more difficult. Each time a new demon appears to fight, Joromi's sister who turned into a fly will keep singing and warning Joromi not to the demon, that he has conquered all human opponents and these are spirits and this is where death resides.

Joromi instead is spurred on and encouraged by the song and with each 'kese' kese' chorus in the song he cuts off demon heads. Eventually a seven-headed demon came and the Joromi fought bravely and became very tired, he slipped and fell and the demon with only one head remaining came closer to cut off his devastating arms but Joromi kept his arms behind his back and the demon could not pry it off, suddenly he sprang up with another 'kese' kese' and tore the demon's stomach with a blow.

While the demon was writhing in pains, he took the opportunity to try and scramble down the palm tree and get back to the earth, as he was about to escape the spirit realm, the demon lunged after him with giant strides and grabbed him, but he could not get a firm grasp but could only scratch his Joromi's back with his claws.

That is why all humans till today have a groove (i.e the spinal cord groove) in their backs.

That...was INCREDIBLE! Absolutely incredible! I was on the edge of my seat, as I read that. And I was envisioning a truly epic battle. Joromi would be a perfect match for my world's versions of Arhuanran and Makoma, and other super powerful heroes. One question. What's a 'kese kese' chorus? Is that a type of empowering song, that is used to draw strength from when heard?

And I just looked Victor Uwaifo up on Youtube. As I was sitting here and watching him, the skills this gentleman has with playing the guitar almost made my jaw drop into my lap. The moment he began playing the guitar behind his head and was spinning and dancing, he put almost every single western guitarist the past 30 or 40 years to shame. Just that fast.

Also, I am thankful for you Rabzy, my friend. You are a great source of folklore information. Admittedly Nigerian folklore is a somewhat difficult topic to find information on, if you don't come from Nigeria. So you are nothing short of a godsend.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 4:26pm On Nov 08, 2013
Thanks Booshman, you are far too kind.
The 'kese kese' is an imitation of the sound his sword makes when he slashes the demons. its a reminder of his unwavering and unrelenting blows. While the song was supposed to warn him to desist in his mission to death, it rather was spurring him on.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 6:31am On Nov 14, 2013
rabzy: Thanks Booshman, you are far too kind.
The 'kese kese' is an imitation of the sound his sword makes when he slashes the demons. its a reminder of his unwavering and unrelenting blows. While the song was supposed to warn him to desist in his mission to death, it rather was spurring him on.

Oh, I see. Fascinating!

Just had a few more questions about the details though, so I could keep my version as close to the original as possible. So people would know what legend I'm referring to. Don't worry if there aren't any answers to my questions. That's where the creative part comes in.

- Was there a reason that Joromi's sister, keep warning him not to tell each new demon, that he (Joromi) defeated all of his human opponents?

- Did the story give Joromi's sister have a name?

- Did he cut each head off with a sword or a knife? And was it magical or a regular one?

- Is there a special name for the location that the spirits and death reside? Like an Edo word.

Also...these multiple-headed demons sound as though they were gigantic. Which is a good thing, because people like to see giants getting defeated in fantasy/folk-lore, by normal sized people.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 8:44am On Nov 15, 2013
The Sister was not telling him not to tell the new demons about his exploits. The Sister was just acknowledging his prowess in the song but then warning him that these are not like his human opponents but this is the spirit world and that he cant hope to succeed like he did on earth. But of course you can embellish the story to suit your purpose, its a legend and am sure it has been re-told in a number of ways to kids.

Joromi's sisters name is lost to antiquity grin

He uses a Sword, but of course the sword is magical to achieve all it did. then Joromi himself would have been 'cooked'.

The name of the spirit world is 'Agbon Elinmi'. Agbon is world, while Elinmi is spirit. so that makes it spirit world. My dad use to scold my sister when we were little calling her Ekhun Agbon Ekhun Elinmi... Which means the laziest of the world and the laziest of the spirits. We laugh over it now a lot.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 1:18pm On Nov 15, 2013
rabzy: The Sister was not telling him not to tell the new demons about his exploits. The Sister was just acknowledging his prowess in the song but then warning him that these are not like his human opponents but this is the spirit world and that he cant hope to succeed like he did on earth. But of course you can embellish the story to suit your purpose, its a legend and am sure it has been re-told in a number of ways to kids.

Joromi's sisters name is lost to antiquity grin

He uses a Sword, but of course the sword is magical to achieve all it did. then Joromi himself would have been 'cooked'.

The name of the spirit world is 'Agbon Elinmi'. Agbon is world, while Elinmi is spirit. so that makes it spirit world. My dad use to scold my sister when we were little calling her Ekhun Agbon Ekhun Elinmi... Which means the laziest of the world and the laziest of the spirits. We laugh over it now a lot.

- Oooooh, I see. His sister was just warning not to lower his guard, simply because he defeated all those humans. And I can just give Joromi's sister an appropriate an Edo name. One that fits her role and personality. Thankfully I have a huge list of Edo names at my disposal.

- The fact that his sword was magical just makes the legend even more impressive. Because Joromi is a normal person, so it's easier for people to put themselves in his shoes. Like a "David and Goliath" type of story. Only African, so it's even more incredible. My only question about the sword is was there any mention of how he came across the it? For example, did he find it in Agbon Elinmi? Or did he carry it with him from home? If it's the 2nd option was it always magical or did it become magical once inside? Or am I totally wrong and he acquired it another way?

- Also, how do you pronounce "Agbon Elinmi"? Is it "Ag-bun El-een-me"? I haven't even tried the Edo dialect yet, because I'm still trying to get the Yoruba dialect and tones down first. Don't want to confuse myself by trying to learn two languages at once.

- Oh! What happened to Joromi's sister? She wasn't left in the Spirit Realm was she? And is her fly transformation one that she can reverse? Because to be quite honest, living as a fly would be horrible! grin

Sorry for asking a million questions, but I'm VERY detail oriented. I have to be! Because that is what makes for the best stories. Including major details and minor ones.

This is frustrating but also absolutely illuminating, because these are the type of stories should be known the world over! Every African legend that I've heard has been nothing short of "simply fantastic!"
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 8:09am On Nov 18, 2013
Booshman:

- Oooooh, I see. His sister was just warning not to lower his guard, simply because he defeated all those humans. And I can just give Joromi's sister an appropriate an Edo name. One that fits her role and personality. Thankfully I have a huge list of Edo names at my disposal.

- The fact that his sword was magical just makes the legend even more impressive. Because Joromi is a normal person, so it's easier for people to put themselves in his shoes. Like a "David and Goliath" type of story. Only African, so it's even more incredible. My only question about the sword is was there any mention of how he came across the it? For example, did he find it in Agbon Elinmi? Or did he carry it with him from home? If it's the 2nd option was it always magical or did it become magical once inside? Or am I totally wrong and he acquired it another way?

- Also, how do you pronounce "Agbon Elinmi"? Is it "Ag-bun El-een-me"? I haven't even tried the Edo dialect yet, because I'm still trying to get the Yoruba dialect and tones down first. Don't want to confuse myself by trying to learn two languages at once.

- Oh! What happened to Joromi's sister? She wasn't left in the Spirit Realm was she? And is her fly transformation one that she can reverse? Because to be quite honest, living as a fly would be horrible! grin

Sorry for asking a million questions, but I'm VERY detail oriented. I have to be! Because that is what makes for the best stories. Including major details and minor ones.

This is frustrating but also absolutely illuminating, because these are the type of stories should be known the world over! Every African legend that I've heard has been nothing short of "simply fantastic!"

Now your questions are asking for answers legends and myths don't care to answer.... cheesy cheesy.. we would have to embellish the story and agree on plausibles.... but like i said it is your story...you are kind write it as it fits your purpose...if it was history then we would need to be more careful.

Now to the myriads of questions:

I ma not aware of how he got the sword, but we could say he won it from one of his most difficult opponent on earth or maybe we say the guy bequeath it to him as he was about to die believing he would be the most worthy to wield it.... grin or we could say one powerful medicine man made it for him....warriors and wrestlers dont go for battles without fortification from medicine-men we call the obo pronounced or-bow.

Agbon Elinmi...this one is tough...it would be A as in Apple, english has no equivalent for GBON... but your suggestion should suffice just make the 'g' very soft and almost silent....

Elinmi...E as in egg then 'lean' and then 'me'

Of course she came back and could transform back.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 12:29pm On Nov 19, 2013
rabzy:

Now your questions are asking for answers legends and myths don't care to answer.... cheesy cheesy.. we would have to embellish the story and agree on plausibles.... but like i said it is your story...you are kind write it as it fits your purpose...if it was history then we would need to be more careful.

Now to the myriads of questions:

I ma not aware of how he got the sword, but we could say he won it from one of his most difficult opponent on earth or maybe we say the guy bequeath it to him as he was about to die believing he would be the most worthy to wield it.... grin or we could say one powerful medicine man made it for him....warriors and wrestlers dont go for battles without fortification from medicine-men we call the obo pronounced or-bow.

Agbon Elinmi...this one is tough...it would be A as in Apple, english has no equivalent for GBON... but your suggestion should suffice just make the 'g' very soft and almost silent....

Elinmi...E as in egg then 'lean' and then 'me'

Of course she came back and could transform back.

Sorry, I had a feeling I was getting into "the realm of the unanswerable" with my questions. Didn't mean to pry. Just wanted to get as many details as I could, before I needed to fill in the holes with my own stuff.

Also, thanks for the pronunciations. I was more on the right track than I thought.

And surprisingly, I've heard of Obos before; from a fascinating book I read entitled "Kings, Magic, and Medicine" by Chief Dr. Daryl M. Peavy. Who was an American that studied Edo Medicine under an Esan native doctor for years. Where he was awarded the title of Okhaemwen and still continues his research on the Iha Ominigbon/Oguega divination system in Edo State. The book talks a lot about Edo spirituality and mentions some of the various non-Yoruba related gods. As well as some folklore related to them. It was an invaluable resource, for someone like me, who's not a Nigerian native.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 4:52pm On Nov 21, 2013
Booshman:

Sorry, I had a feeling I was getting into "the realm of the unanswerable" with my questions. Didn't mean to pry. Just wanted to get as many details as I could, before I needed to fill in the holes with my own stuff.

Also, thanks for the pronunciations. I was more on the right track than I thought.

And surprisingly, I've heard of Obos before; from a fascinating book I read entitled "Kings, Magic, and Medicine" by Chief Dr. Daryl M. Peavy. Who was an American that studied Edo Medicine under an Esan native doctor for years. Where he was awarded the title of Okhaemwen and still continues his research on the Iha Ominigbon/Oguega divination system in Edo State. The book talks a lot about Edo spirituality and mentions some of the various non-Yoruba related gods. As well as some folklore related to them. It was an invaluable resource, for someone like me, who's not a Nigerian native.

How ya doing...the best way for me to help you with the pronunciation would have been to send you voice notes, or if you are have an Bini/Esan native that speaks around you there...
I had an uncle from my mom's side who was a famous obo, and we used to go to the village when i was small, some other Obos come around for some festivals and they sing songs and do some displays of power and stuffs like that. i would love to read the book you mentioned....should throw some lights on some things.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Booshman(m): 3:00am On Nov 23, 2013
rabzy:

How ya doing...the best way for me to help you with the pronunciation would have been to send you voice notes, or if you are have an Bini/Esan native that speaks around you there...
I had an uncle from my mom's side who was a famous obo, and we used to go to the village when i was small, some other Obos come around for some festivals and they sing songs and do some displays of power and stuffs like that. i would love to read the book you mentioned....should throw some lights on some things.

Oh, I bought the book on Amazon.com. It wasn't expensive, either.

As for pronunciations, I couldn't ask you to do that. While it would be greatly appreciated, if you had websites or links that has actual Edo/Esan folks speaking, that would be just as good. Movies, television shows, basic teaching lessons. Anything. I can use it all.

Oh, by the way. I've been looking for someone who knows about the native Edo writing system. The old system of colors, lines, and circles. But all I've ever come across was a brief mention of it. I fear this might be something that's either lost to time, or something that's only known by a few people though.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 23, 2013
I still find it difficult to believe the Benin Empire had no form of writing. There must have been something..some sort of script in use. I mean, just a few hundred miles to the south the Nsibidi script was being employed by less sophisticated societies, who even used it to record court cases, and tutor kids in schools. So what gives?
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by ezeagu(m): 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
A writing system is not going to develop just because, writing systems (the one created without influence) were all created by chance, not because people were necessarily super 'sophisticated' and set out to invent writing.

And can we not evaluate the sophistication of cultures we know nothing about? Especially ones that were among the only to create stone age monuments 3 meters high and more in southern Nigeria, and let's not forget about their massive inter ethnic fraternities that at least exist till this day over two massive countries and over the sea to Cuba.

Yeah.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
Hi Booshman,

I think this is someone you should be interested in. He is a very historical person and his family members are still alive. His name is Asoro and he was the chief sword-bearer for Ovoranwen Nogbaisi, the Oba of Benin that ruled when Benin kingdom was attacked by the British. After the City was defeated and burnt, Asoro and his band of soldiers continued a guerilla war with the British and he was said to be immortal.

He defended a road junction in Benin and declared that nobody would pass through except the King and he died defending that spot, that spot is still known as Sokponba 'except the king'.

I have heard two versions of the legend, the first one i heard when i was little is that, when he is killed and touched by the enemy he wakes up again and keeps fighting, another legend says that you can only kill him by killing his shadow.

It was said that he killed so many British soldiers that they had to look for the source of his power, he was reportedly betrayed by his wife who told them they have to aim at his shadow to kill him.
This is someone that should fit into your story, a true and verifiable warrior and legend.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by bokohalal(m): 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
rabzy: Hi Booshman,

I think this is someone you should be interested in. He is a very historical person and his family members are still alive. His name is Asoro and he was the chief sword-bearer for Ovoranwen Nogbaisi, the Oba of Benin that ruled when Benin kingdom was attacked by the British. After the City was defeated and burnt, Asoro and his band of soldiers continued a guerilla war with the British and he was said to be immortal.

He defended a road junction in Benin and declared that nobody would pass through except the King and he died defending that spot, that spot is still known as Sokponba 'except the king'.

I have heard two versions of the legend, the first one i heard when i was little is that, when he is killed and touched by the enemy he wakes up again and keeps fighting, another legend says that you can only kill him by killing his shadow.

It was said that he killed so many British soldiers that they had to look for the source of his power, he was reportedly betrayed by his wife who told them they have to aim at his shadow to kill him.
This is someone that should fit into your story, a true and verifiable warrior and legend.

Heard that 'shadow' thing when I was little and believed it. Know better now.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 8:07am On Dec 04, 2013
bokohalal:
Heard that 'shadow' thing when I was little and believed it. Know better now.

Yeah....but you know thats what makes childhood interesting, you can believe anything and get excited...thats why we try to be superman or spiderman flying all over the house.

So what exactly is the nature of Asoro's powers.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by bokohalal(m): 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2013
rabzy:

Yeah....but you know thats what makes childhood interesting, you can believe anything and get excited...thats why we try to be superman or spiderman flying all over the house.

So what exactly is the nature of Asoro's powers.
My conclusion is that he eluded the British soldiers for some time (as the then Ologbosere also did ) and considering the crushing defeat and devastation that the British had just inflicted on the Benin Empire,to have escaped capture or death for sometime from the new masters,the cowed survivors attributed his daring as supernatural and wove incredible stories into it.
You do know that the British committed genocide in old Benin?
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by rabzy: 2:17pm On Dec 05, 2013
bokohalal:
My conclusion is that he eluded the British soldiers for some time (as the then Ologbosere also did ) and considering the crushing defeat and devastation that the British had just inflicted on the Benin Empire,to have escaped capture or death for sometime from the new masters,the cowed survivors attributed his daring as supernatural and wove incredible stories into it.
You do know that the British committed genocide in old Benin?

They destroyed Benin Kingdom, i have not heard anybody call it a genocide, nor do i think it can be called a genocide.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by bokohalal(m): 12:17am On Dec 06, 2013
rabzy:

They destroyed Benin Kingdom, i have not heard anybody call it a genocide, nor do i think it can be called a genocide.
Re: Benin Art And Architecture by TerryCarr(m): 11:11pm On Dec 25, 2013
bump

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

HAUSALAND: Teach Me Hausa / The Culture Lounge / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.